Recovery Mode #4

I had to delete my exisitng information store and build a new one.  Now
whenever I open Outlook I get a prompt to connect or workoff line.  It says
Exchange is in reocvery mode?  How can I fix this?

Thx !

0
jpcsinc (8)

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/UseE2k3RecStorGrps/cd4cae6c-c944-4699-b63f-4e53aab0ed00.mspx

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"TJ" <jpcsinc@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>I had to delete my exisitng information store and build a new one.  Now
> whenever I open Outlook I get a prompt to connect or workoff line.  It
> says
> Exchange is in reocvery mode?  How can I fix this?
>
> Thx !

0
Ben
3/8/2005 8:15:14 PM
Sorry - should have posted more information.  When you follow the link
provided, you have to go all the way to the bottom.  I've pasted the content
here.  It talks about using a Dial-tone database, but that is identical to
what you have done (created new database).  The only difference is that you
do not have the old database mounted to the Recovery Storage Group - instead
you simply deleted it.  To summarize, you will end up having to create a new
OST file, as the old one will be unusable with the new database.

Using Outlook 2003 Exchange Recovery Mode with a Dial Tone Database
The new Outlook 2003 feature known as Cached Exchange Mode replaces the
Offline Folders mode of previous versions of Outlook. In Outlook 2003, the
local cache of mailbox data still resides in an encrypted .pst file (with
the file extension .ost), but Cached Exchange Mode adds significant
capabilities to the previous offline mode. For example, Cached Exchange Mode
provides a function called Exchange Recovery Mode. (For users with versions
of Outlook prior to Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003, Exchange Recovery Mode
is not available.)

After an Exchange database has been reset, users running Outlook 2003 in
Cached Exchange Mode see this dialog box:

Exchange is currently in recovery mode. You can either connect to your
Exchange server using the network, work offline, or cancel this logon.With
previous versions of Outlook, this message does not appear. Instead, if a
user chooses to work online, the previous .ost file becomes unreadable
because a new key from the new mailbox overwrites the encryption data
associated with the previous mailbox. The .ost file is tightly linked to a
specific mailbox. A new mailbox always has a new .ost key value, even if the
new mailbox has the same mailbox GUID as the old mailbox.

If a user chooses to work online using a previous version of Outlook,
Outlook generates a new .ost file (but the old .ost file is not deleted),
and any unsynchronized data in the old .ost file becomes inaccessible.
However, if the original database is swapped back in, the previous .ost file
becomes readable again, but the current .ost file becomes inaccessible.

This behavior means that, after a disaster occurs in which a dial tone
database is created, users must sort and perhaps merge data in multiple .ost
files, and then edit their Outlook profiles to redirect those files to their
previous .ost file. For more information about this, see "Offline Folders"
in Microsoft Knowledge Base article 282496, "XADM: Considerations and Best
Practices When Resetting an Exchange Mailbox Database"
(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21198).

The Exchange Recovery Mode in Outlook 2003 was designed to remedy this
problem by offering users two options when Outlook 2003 starts after a
database reset:

      . Offline mode   If users select Work Offline, they will have access
to their current .ost file, but not to their Exchange server. The .ost file
will not become permanently inaccessible if they decide to go online.

      . Online mode   If users select Connect, they will have access to
their new Exchange database, but not to their .ost file. If they want to
access items in your offline cache, they can exit Outlook and start again in
Offline mode.

      Note:

      If users needs to transfer items between their .ost file and their
Exchange server while in Exchange Recovery Mode, they can do so by adding an
Outlook data file (.pst) to their profile. If your users need to do this,
instruct them to start Outlook and, on the File menu, point to New, and then
click Outlook Data File and follow the prompts to create the file. The new
data file will appear in users' folder trees, and the users can then create
a folder called \Transfer. Then, the users can drag and drop items from
their offline folders to this folder. When the users restart Outlook in
Online mode, the Transfer folder and its items will be available.

After the original database has been swapped with the dial tone database,
Outlook automatically exits Exchange Recovery Mode the next time the user
selects Connect.

If users are not able to preserve their current .ost files with Outlook
2003, perhaps because you cannot restore the original database, they will
need to reset their .ost files. For this task, provide users with the
following procedure.

To reset .ost files
      1.
     Start Outlook in Offline mode, and salvage desired items to an Outlook
data file (.pst file).

      2.
     Start Outlook again, and select Connect to go online with the new
Exchange database.

      3.
     On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.

      4.
     Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.

      5.
     Click the Microsoft Exchange Server account, and then click Change.

      6.
     Click More Settings, and then click Advanced.

      7.
     Clear the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box, and then click Apply.

      Important:

      You must click Apply in order to complete the next step. After you
click Apply, this message appears: "You must restart Outlook for these
changes to take effect." Do not exit Outlook at this point.

      8.
     Click Offline Folder File Settings, and then click Disable Offline Use.
A prompt appears: "Exchange is currently in recovery mode. If you make
changes to your Offline Folder Files settings, your existing .ost file will
be removed from your profile and you will not be able to use the file. Do
you want to continue?" Click Yes. Click OK, Next, and Finish until you have
exited the E-mail Accounts wizard.

      9.
     Close Outlook.

      Important:

      You must exit and restart Outlook before continuing with the next
step.

      10.
     Start Outlook again, and then click Connect to go online with the new
Exchange database.

      11.
     On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.

      12.
     Click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next.

      13.
     Click the Microsoft Exchange Server account, and then click Change.

      14.
     Click More Settings, and then click Advanced.

      15.
     Select the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box.

      16.
     Click Offline Folder File Settings, and then change the name of the
..ost file.

      For example, if the file name is outlook.ost, name it outlook1.ost.
You can also change the file path if you wish.

      17.
     Click OK, and a prompt appears: "The file filename could not be found.
Would you like to create it?" Click Yes, and then click OK, Next, and Finish
to exit the E-mail Accounts wizard.

      18.
     Close, and then restart Outlook.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"TJ" <jpcsinc@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>I had to delete my exisitng information store and build a new one.  Now
> whenever I open Outlook I get a prompt to connect or workoff line.  It
> says
> Exchange is in reocvery mode?  How can I fix this?
>
> Thx !

0
Ben
3/8/2005 8:18:40 PM
Thx for the info Ben!

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:OF8DGwBJFHA.3364@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> [...]
>
>       For example, if the file name is outlook.ost, name it outlook1.ost.
> You can also change the file path if you wish.
>
>       17.
>      Click OK, and a prompt appears: "The file filename could not be
found.
> Would you like to create it?" Click Yes, and then click OK, Next, and
Finish
> to exit the E-mail Accounts wizard.
>
>       18.
>      Close, and then restart Outlook.
>

> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>

> "TJ" <jpcsinc@insightbb.com> wrote in message
> >I had to delete my exisitng information store and build a new one.  Now
> > whenever I open Outlook I get a prompt to connect or workoff line.  It
> > says
> > Exchange is in reocvery mode?  How can I fix this?

0
jpcsinc (8)

Can't restore from Recovery Storage Group via Sys Manager or Exmerge.exe
I have successfully restored my old servers store to a recovery storage group, and see the users and the number of items etc. If I try to restore one to the new info store on the rebuilt server I get an error that it failed and the following in the report: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="unicode" ?> - <taskWizardRun taskName="Recover Mailbox Data" dcName="MBSERVER01" buildNumber="7638" runningAs="Administrator@mynet.NET"> <timespan startTime="2006-07-23 02:40:03.484" milliseconds="172" /> - <...

Recovery #4
Hope someone can help me, I have the problem I think that article KB889528 will fix, but after reading it I have Event ID 217 did you call for the hotfix? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Sam" <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3ECB53B-3B7D-4BB2-A138-87ECC840687A@microsoft.com... > Hope someone can help me, I have the problem I think that article KB889528 > will fix, but after reading it I have Event ID 217 Yes I did buy I have not yet applied it and I was wondering 2 things 1 If I should do an offline back up first? 2 If I should skip the hotfix a...

Excel 2000 #4
I have a filled series of numbers that are relative. How do I change them to absolute? Do you that they are produced via formulae? -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove xxx from email address if mailing direct) "billytre" <billytre@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0C22BA5C-5B4D-44D0-8B56-8EDEBF1CE862@microsoft.com... > I have a filled series of numbers that are relative. How do I change them to > absolute? No Bob, Just a straight fill by dragging. "Bob Phillips" wrote: > Do you that they are produced via formulae? > > -- > HTH &...

Office Update for OS-X (10.4.7)
Anyone know if/when there will be a release so users can update Office 2004 for MAC that will work with Tiger, 10.4.7? I have been unable to take advantage of any of the Office updates for quite awhile since according to Microsoft on May 28, 2006 this was a known issue for Apple and so far there seems to be no fixes. Thanks, Scott On 10/7/06 23:12, in article 1152569558.487632.208370@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "scott-pwfb" <scott.gingold@gmail.com> wrote: > Anyone know if/when there will be a release so users can update Office > 2004 for MAC that will work with Ti...

How do I setup a recovery server and do the recovery?
How do I setup he recovery server? I have a spare 2003 server box, do I just put exchange server on to that and restore the database file into the mdsdata directory and then run integrity tools? Does it have to be the same organization or can it be a stand alone server. Thanks. Are you trying to rebuild a server to get it back online? Or are you trying to restore a database to get some data out of it. If you are trying to restore a database, try restoring to a recovery storage group. If you are just doing test restorations or testing D/R procedures, you do NOT want to put the...

linking #4

Public folder #4
How do you set the public folders to be by default listed in the left pane....right now if you want to see public folders you have to go to "go" each time to see folders...... What version of Outlook are you using? If 2003, you need to be in folder view, not mail view. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Dan asked: | How do you set the public f...

Restore to Recovery Storage Group Failed
I'm trying to restore a backup file to a Recovery Storage Group, Exch 2003/Windows server 2003, backup made with ntbackup. I set up the recovery storage group in exchange system manager, as per kb824126, the restore fails right away. It says it's restoring to the first storage group, I thought it was supposed to restore to the recovery group? Is there anything I have to set on the recovery group that the kb doesn't mention? you added the store you want to restore to the RSG? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "dlw" <dlw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Recovery server #4
Hi, I am setting up a recovery server to restore an online backup of the info store of an Exchange 2003 server. I can not use the recovery storage group as it is a snapshot backup and not supported by Symantec. I know that the log file path does not matter but does the database path matter? I have done this restore to a recovery server in earlier versions of exchange without issue. The only diffenences in this case is that 1- I am restoring from a snapshot backup 2- I got lazy and recreated the recovery server with only a C: and the production server has the exchange databases on ...

SBS 2003 disaster recovery: advice?
Until today our SBS 2003 from Dell has been working perfectly. Now I'm looking at a screen that says: *** Hardware malfunction Call your hardware vendor for support *** The system was halted *** (no kidding) I have the CDs that came with the machine. Before I start plugging them in at random and rebooting I thought I'd ask for some advice. (My wife will be so proud of me ...) TIA. - Tony Lima -- Tony Lima Associates Los Altos, CA, USA 650-243-1286 Hi Tony, Maybe a little troubleshooting... Hardware Malfunction Results in System Error Message http://su...

Windows XP reverts from the classic windows display mode.
I prefer the old WindowsXP display, but just now it has changed spontaneously to the technicoloured garish blue style. I have tried the Start Button properties radio-button selection option but it refuses to go back! Please help, Frank In article <O6255dyjKHA.1536@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, fm@general.com.au says... > > I prefer the old WindowsXP display, but just now it has > changed spontaneously to the technicoloured garish blue > style. > > I have tried the Start Button properties radio-button > selection option but it refuses to go...

OST recovery
I took on a client whose SBS 2003 network went down due to a server disk problem, Active Directory was not recovered, and a new domain name was used. As a result, the PC was removed from the old domain, then joined to the new domain, resulting in a different user profile on the PC (was Mary, now is Mary.001). There is no Exchange server running, she just used Outlook on her PC for the calendar. Is there a way to recover the calendar information in the OST file? If she's been joined to a new domain, not without buying a third-party = tool.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of ...

Opening new form in add mode with preset values
I'm currently working on a personal database to manage family-tree type data and have come across a problem. To note off the bat, I'm very new to Access and am essentially teaching myself as I go by picking apart template databases and playing with my own "test" databases. I only yesterday figured out that most of my hitches now require macros or visual basic coding so I've been trying to learn that too. I figured out how to have a new form open to a related record, and how to have a new form open in add mode, but I'm not sure how to have it open a new form in add mo...

can this macro be adapted for 4 groups?
Hi, Below is a code from Jim Cone which provides a way of drawing arbitrary names from a bag. I need to adopt this code such that it can be used to establish 4 groups (A,B,C and D each having 4 teams) out of 16 team. The only problem is that I need to select 4 teams out of the 16 team before I start drawing. Can you suggest solutions? TIA ============================== 'July 06, 2004 - Jim Cone Sub DisplayRandomNames() Dim RS As Long Dim objRangeA As Range Dim objRangeB As Range Dim objRangeC As Range Dim blnNotThere As Boolean ' Establish where everythi...

recovery
hi folks, backup and recovery is driving me nuts and i need your help very badly. i am running win 2003 srvr enterprise with exchange 2003 enterprise. i have backed up my information store/first storage group/mailboxstore & public store i am using ntbackup that comes with 2003 server i did a normal backup then a differntial backup both were a success now when i try to restore i get a restore failed message i dismount the stores and set each store with database can be overwritten when restored... i have tried to restore over 30 times and always get a failure message...i get these ...

Exception is not caught in RELEASE mode
Working with Visual C++ 6.0 (SP6). I want to throw an exception from somewhere in a third party DLL. Goes like this: class CMyDocument : public CDocument { ... void MyFunction(); static void AFX_CDECL ReportError(BOOL bAbort, const char* pszFormat, ...); } void CMyDocument::MyFunction() { TRY { // calling some DLL code here // from the DLL the static CZoneCorrDoc::ReportError // will be called (by a function pointer), which throws an exception } CATCH(CUserException, e) { // Note: DELETE_EXCEPTION_(e) not required AfxMessageBox("Exception caught"...

Newbie Question #4
We have a relatively new Exchange 2003 server. One of our users sent an email to a customer and got a message back from our server saying "this is an automatically generated delivery status notification." "This is a warning message only". "you do not need to resend you message" "delivery to the following recipients has been delayed". It then lists the 2 remote recipients. I can see the email is still in our queue. I can telnet to port 25 of the remote server. My question is, did those messages get generated by our Exchange server and is it most li...

Document recovery loop in Word 2007
My computer restarted in the middle of the night, and I had left and unsaved word document open. When I rebooted my computer and tried to open a document in Word 2007, it pulls up the document recovery bar on the left and freezes. I have tried re-starting in safe mode, uninstalling and reinstalling Word 2007, etc. Each time, the result is the same. I don't know how to get rid of the document recovery loop. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. generally, if a pc crashes in the middle of reading or writing to the registry or a file, then a chkdsk might help to ...

Forms #4
Hi, I want to create a form that people can use to enter data. I want this data to be added to a microsoft excel list that I can use for various reports. Can anyone suggest the easiest way to do this? Thanks! Alan The easiest way is to select a cell in the list, and choose Data>Form. For something a bit fancier, you could try John Walkenbach's Enhanced Data Form. It's free, allows combo boxes, and has unlimited fields. http://j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm Alan S wrote: > I want to create a form that people can use to enter > data. I want this data to be...

12.2.4 Update won't install

page numbers #4
how do you make the page numbering of a publisher file start with a number different than 1? In Publisher 2000 it's Tools, Options, General Tab -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "Denise" <dvalerio@medina-esc.k12.oh.us> wrote in message news:0e2201c37d18$ccb5cee0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > how do you make the page numbering of a publisher file > start with a number different than 1? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Denise <dvalerio@medina-esc.k12.oh.us>... > how do you ma...

Recovery
I have recovered over 1000 excel and word files from a disk I formatted by mistake, now I have to go through each one to see if I want to keep it or delete it and to rename each file, is there a way I can view each file by the press of a button instead of opening them one by one? Thanks Clayton Code could be written to iterate a folder but the simplest way would be to select say files 1-20 and right click and select 'Open' from windows explorer. Excel would open with those 20 files, you could view, save as and then delete any you didn't want. -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP...

Recovery #3
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C5CFE0.EA155E20 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi,=20 Anyone know of a good article on how to restore active directory to a = different hardware platform. Ben ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C5CFE0.EA155E20 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type conten...

CFileDialog question #4
How do I set initial file selection after the construction. In other words, can't use m_ofn.... Any idea, anyone? <mdnightman@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1147289299.437512.62300@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > How do I set initial file selection after the construction. In other > words, can't use m_ofn.... What makes you think that? Just set dlg.m_ofn.lpstrFile = filename before calling DoModal(). Drew I realized my question was not very clear. I have a class CMyDialog derived from CFileDialog. I need to set the initial selected file inside CMyDialog code,...

DPM 2010 RC End User Recovery for client systems
Hallo, Mobile Client Backup works fine with DPM2010RC. But the the recovery option "previous versions" in windows explorer is not available on any windows xp SP3 systems; is there a new timewarp client version neccessary? On Windows 7 client alls restore points are useable through "previous versions". --------- is there an client option to prevent the start of backup through VPN/slow network connections, so that the user can decide, when to backup? Kind Regards! Raffael Hi Raffael, Thanks for testing mobile client backups. XP don't support...