Recovering messages

Our Exchange 5.5 database was corrupt, and we repaired it using eseutil /p.
Straight after the recovery, users complained that some of their messages 
could not be opened anymore.

So we ran eseutil again, and also the defrag and integrity check.

Users are now informing us that messages have disappeared altogether.

We have a backup of all the edb files from before we ran the repair.  
Considering that users have now received more messages, could be recover the 
missing messages by re-running the backed up edb files?  Would that recover 
the database to a previous point in time, or would it simply add the missing 
messages to the repaired database?
0
AG_UK (1)
7/14/2006 1:10:02 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 1 followers. Follow

5 Replies
296 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 19

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 06:10:02 -0700, AG_UK
<AG_UK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Our Exchange 5.5 database was corrupt, and we repaired it using eseutil /p.
>Straight after the recovery, users complained that some of their messages 
>could not be opened anymore.

Not surprising.

>
>So we ran eseutil again, and also the defrag and integrity check.

Ok. 
>
>Users are now informing us that messages have disappeared altogether.

Oops.

>
>We have a backup of all the edb files from before we ran the repair.  
>Considering that users have now received more messages, could be recover the 
>missing messages by re-running the backed up edb files?  Would that recover 
>the database to a previous point in time, or would it simply add the missing 
>messages to the repaired database?


Restoring from backup is always your first choice. Using eseutil
should be  the last and only option if you do not have a good backup -
as you have seen.

You can restore that backup, but everything received after you ran
that repair is not recoverable because the logs you created after the
repair can not be replayed against the pre-repaired store. 

0
adavid (8731)
7/14/2006 1:15:30 PM
Thanks Andy.

So if we do restore the pre-repair edb files, and replay them, we will 
recover the missing messages, but we will lose any new ones received after 
the repair we ran?




"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 06:10:02 -0700, AG_UK
> <AG_UK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> >Our Exchange 5.5 database was corrupt, and we repaired it using eseutil /p.
> >Straight after the recovery, users complained that some of their messages 
> >could not be opened anymore.
> 
> Not surprising.
> 
> >
> >So we ran eseutil again, and also the defrag and integrity check.
> 
> Ok. 
> >
> >Users are now informing us that messages have disappeared altogether.
> 
> Oops.
> 
> >
> >We have a backup of all the edb files from before we ran the repair.  
> >Considering that users have now received more messages, could be recover the 
> >missing messages by re-running the backed up edb files?  Would that recover 
> >the database to a previous point in time, or would it simply add the missing 
> >messages to the repaired database?
> 
> 
> Restoring from backup is always your first choice. Using eseutil
> should be  the last and only option if you do not have a good backup -
> as you have seen.
> 
> You can restore that backup, but everything received after you ran
> that repair is not recoverable because the logs you created after the
> repair can not be replayed against the pre-repaired store. 
> 
> 
0
AGUK (1)
7/14/2006 1:39:01 PM
On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 06:39:01 -0700, AG_UK
<AGUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thanks Andy.
>
>So if we do restore the pre-repair edb files, and replay them, we will 
>recover the missing messages, but we will lose any new ones received after 
>the repair we ran?
>

Yes, you should recover up to the point of that backup.

>
>
>
>"Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 06:10:02 -0700, AG_UK
>> <AG_UK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> 
>> >Our Exchange 5.5 database was corrupt, and we repaired it using eseutil /p.
>> >Straight after the recovery, users complained that some of their messages 
>> >could not be opened anymore.
>> 
>> Not surprising.
>> 
>> >
>> >So we ran eseutil again, and also the defrag and integrity check.
>> 
>> Ok. 
>> >
>> >Users are now informing us that messages have disappeared altogether.
>> 
>> Oops.
>> 
>> >
>> >We have a backup of all the edb files from before we ran the repair.  
>> >Considering that users have now received more messages, could be recover the 
>> >missing messages by re-running the backed up edb files?  Would that recover 
>> >the database to a previous point in time, or would it simply add the missing 
>> >messages to the repaired database?
>> 
>> 
>> Restoring from backup is always your first choice. Using eseutil
>> should be  the last and only option if you do not have a good backup -
>> as you have seen.
>> 
>> You can restore that backup, but everything received after you ran
>> that repair is not recoverable because the logs you created after the
>> repair can not be replayed against the pre-repaired store. 
>> 
>> 
0
adavid (8731)
7/14/2006 1:41:22 PM
Or, if you can't lose the new mail, build a recovery Exchange server, and do 
your restor to that server, then Exmerge the missing messages and re-import 
back into the mailboxes on the production server.

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne
Read my blog!
http://winzenz.blogspot.com
http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)


"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message 
news:7n7fb2t11em97uu3ogl65778a87s1j3pc6@4ax.com...
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 06:39:01 -0700, AG_UK
> <AGUK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>>Thanks Andy.
>>
>>So if we do restore the pre-repair edb files, and replay them, we will
>>recover the missing messages, but we will lose any new ones received after
>>the repair we ran?
>>
>
> Yes, you should recover up to the point of that backup.
>
>>
>>
>>
>>"Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 06:10:02 -0700, AG_UK
>>> <AG_UK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> >Our Exchange 5.5 database was corrupt, and we repaired it using eseutil 
>>> >/p.
>>> >Straight after the recovery, users complained that some of their 
>>> >messages
>>> >could not be opened anymore.
>>>
>>> Not surprising.
>>>
>>> >
>>> >So we ran eseutil again, and also the defrag and integrity check.
>>>
>>> Ok.
>>> >
>>> >Users are now informing us that messages have disappeared altogether.
>>>
>>> Oops.
>>>
>>> >
>>> >We have a backup of all the edb files from before we ran the repair.
>>> >Considering that users have now received more messages, could be 
>>> >recover the
>>> >missing messages by re-running the backed up edb files?  Would that 
>>> >recover
>>> >the database to a previous point in time, or would it simply add the 
>>> >missing
>>> >messages to the repaired database?
>>>
>>>
>>> Restoring from backup is always your first choice. Using eseutil
>>> should be  the last and only option if you do not have a good backup -
>>> as you have seen.
>>>
>>> You can restore that backup, but everything received after you ran
>>> that repair is not recoverable because the logs you created after the
>>> repair can not be replayed against the pre-repaired store.
>>>
>>> 


0
Ben
7/14/2006 1:49:58 PM
On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 08:49:58 -0500, "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]"
<ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote:

>Or, if you can't lose the new mail, build a recovery Exchange server, and do 
>your restor to that server, then Exmerge the missing messages and re-import 
>back into the mailboxes on the production server.


Indeed.
You can export by date.
0
adavid (8731)
7/14/2006 1:57:43 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

outlook xp recovered data - from CD
I just received a CD with all of my recovered outlook xp data from a failed hard drive: how do I move/copy/transfer the recovered Calendar, address book and contacts, personal folders, and emails from the data recovery CD to my existing Outlook folders? Where does that data reside on my new hard drive (windows xp pro oper system)? Would very much appreciate any help. Thanks. "kevinh" <kevin.hefner@aps.com> wrote in message news:0c7601c3b8f4$d417b3c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just received a CD with all of my recovered outlook xp > data from a failed hard drive: ho...

How do you recover a parameter?
Hello, I would like to execute an excel file, for example, with a file name file.xls zz.txt And afterwards, in that file, I would like to recover the name zz.txt. Could you please help me? Thanks. Dave, I'm not sure what you mean by "execute" the Excel file, or "recover the name." It sounds as though you want to make a txt file from the xls file. If so, you'll need to open it in Excel, then do File - Save As, with the file type set to txt. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- &...

Sent messages are not going to the SENT ITEMS folder
When I send messages in Outlook 2000, sent messages are not going into the Sent Items folder. I've got the check box set at Tools, Options, E-Mail Options, Save Copies of Sent Messages in Sent Items Folder. It seems it was working, but not for the past three days. Any ideas? I'm using Windows XP Home, Office 2000. hgfd ...

How do I control where the new message window appears?
Whenever I create a new message the associated window appears with the maximise button off of my desktop. How do I change the default position of the new message window such that all of it is visible on my desktop? Resize and position it accordingly and hold CTRL when press the X to close the window. This should force storing the location and size of the window in the registry. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, R...

Recover live calendars?
Someone was helping me cleanup an old laptop and they deleted important calendars from my WLM. I have months worth of appointments and need some help/instructions. Thanks (I hope) Did you sign in to Live services in WLM? It will not say Sign in below the Close X if you are signed in. calendar.live.com will have the calendars that will sync back to WLM the next time you connect with WLM. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "nimbus" <nimbus@live.com> wrote in message news:CDFEEBEA-D031-4B0B-AECC-58F904E3E601@microsoft.com... > Someone was helping ...

"File Format is not valid" message
Hi there, I have a spreadsheet that I've been using successfully. I don't recall anything that might have caused file corruption. However, now, when I try to open the file, I get the message "File Format is not valid". But, the excel icon is shown and in a file list, it's displayed as type Excel. Any ideas how I can open this file?? Thanks in advance. The message you sent later appears to have been to cancel this post you said it was a Word file with an .xls file extension. Opening an Excel file in word is one way of destroying an Excel file. If that is the ...

Recover !!
Ok i updated my old outlook and because it was too much for my system (like all windows updates) i uninstalled oulook then reinstalled the old version now i have none of my old emails and there not in my hotmail either and they were going into both, hotmail and my outlook ~ so can anyone help me? or is it lost forever What is the version of your old Outlook? Try to search *.pst file "Robin" <rwtsr1@msn.com> wrote in message news:cb4101c48a4c$21dfd000$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Ok i updated my old outlook and because it was too much > for my system (like all windows upda...

IE 8 File > Send > Link by Email does not open Outlook 2007 messag
When I try to e-mail a link in IE 8 using the "File > Send > Link by Email " menu option, nothing happens. The Outlook 2007 message window will not open automatically as it should. Thanks in advance for your help. Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. Assuming Win7... You must set OL as your default for Mail in the CUSTOM (<=important!) section of http://win...

User reports lost messages from Inbox in exchange 2000
Good day. I have a disconcerting issue. A user logged onto his email at a remote location yesterday where he had 400 messages in his inbox. Today he reports that he has only 16 messages in his inbox. He said he did not archive on the remote machine. Is there any system log that I can access to check this type of mailbox activity? -- Network Administrator Neal & Massy Automotive Limited Trinidad Nigel I think you have two options. The first is a Mailbox manager process ran and the inbox items were processed. Check your Exchange server to see if this true. Two, a client side proces...

New message #2
I don't seem to be able to save my template ( with a footer disclaimer) so that it opens every time I hit the new message button. Can anyone help and tell me where the actual new message template is and what its called. Thanks I always used the "signature" section to put footer advertising or disclaimers. You can have multiple accounts and signatures and when you open a new email, it will open with the "Default" account and signature but you can change accounts using the button on the menu bar of the newly opened email. -- Lenny V "Arlene" wrote:...

Cannot send messages
Hi all, thanks in advance for reading this. Our router died and we got a new one. I had the port 25 and 110 mapped, which allowed all the incoming to come in, but the outgoing is still qued and will not send. Any ideas? Exch 5.5. THANK YOU. Question 1 Do you have a Firewall ? What Flavor ? Question 2 What version of Exchange are you running ? Question 3 Did you do the following in MS Knowledge Base article. 153119 "David" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1222c01c3c011$df8ad2e0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi all, thanks in advance for reading...

Recover Unsaved
I need help. Excel closed without saving what I was working on now I need to recover it.... You do not say how Excel closed or what version you are using. The later versions have an AutoRecover feature. If you closed Excel without saving the file, you may not be able to recover. -- Damon Longworth Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference Sept 16th and 17th Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas www.ExcelUserConference.com "Tori" <Tori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F64C96B-62FD-430D-A27A-DF00A9AA64D0@microsoft.com... >I need help. Exce...

All messages marked as read in inbox
I have a user that has all messages that appear in their Inbox appear as Read, instead of Unread. There are no rules setup for this user, all mail resides on the Exchange server, and the user is not using the preview pane. Also, messages will migrate after an hour or two to the Deleted Items folder on their own - again no rules and no option checked in the Options to say to do this. ...

A LOT of "Message can noit be delivered" lately
Lately (few weeks) it's getting more and more that irritating "Message can not be delivered" error. Very irritating to say the least. Must be cause they decided to do only video with sound so the whole MSN network does even gets more crowded. ...

Help! I accidentally deleted emails that I desperately need to recover... Any suggestions please?
Desperate here! I have used LACIE back up, does it save emails? Many thanks! On 1/26/10 10:20 AM, in article C7847266.27FB9%gavin@kerner.com, "Gavin Wilding" <gavin@kerner.com> wrote: > Desperate here! I have used LACIE back up, does it save emails? It depends on what you backed up. Without more details, we can't help. You can use Switch Identity to access data in a second Identity. -- Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/> Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/> YouTalk <...

Outlook font size changes in the middle of an email message
In Outlook 2002, using HTML as the message format, when I am typing a message in an email, the font changes size all of a sudden, it'll go from 12 to 14 points. Not sure why, but it sometimes happens to only some of the text. ...

Sent messages are cut
Hi, I have users reporting that their messages are being sent cut. They start a new email then go to some other app and come back to finish the message. The message gets sent with only what was written the first time, not the end aftet the app switch. Any clues about this bug? Thanks, PMD ...

Recover junk mail
How can I recover all of my mail from the junk mail folder that I mistakenly just deleted? afaik...locally emptying or purging the junk mail folder is permanent in WLM(and also if using WLM for http access to a Hotmail account). If Pop3, access the web server holding the account to determine if the messages are present(ymmv) in the web Deleted folder. -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18654186-1254-4406-9DAF-22B213E775D4@microsoft.com... > How can I recover all of my mail from the junk mail fold...

Recover
I set up my labtop for pop 3 mail. I like keeping almost all of my e-mails on the webmail server so I can refer to them. After I received the messages from my labtop, all the messages on my webmail were gone. I empytied the deleted items folder also on my labtop. Is there any kind of folder that they go to on the computer that's hidden before they e-mails are complety taken off the computer. Also is there a way to pull them off of the server again. The messages are gone, unless whoever provides your webmail has a way for you to get deleted messages back - ask them. In the fu...

servername-IS@domainname messages
I am running Windows 2003 SP1, and Exchange 2003 SP1. I have two front-end servers and one back-end cluster. In the Queue for the back-end server, there are several messages to one of the front-end servers in the queue. The sender is backendserver-IS@domainname and the recipient is front-endserver-IS@domainname. Actually the recipients were both front-end servers, but one front-server queue is empty. Can anyone explain to me what these are, and where I might find documentation on how to learn more about this sort of thing. C Emmons On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:07:27 -0800, "C Emmon...

Where do messages go?
I inadvertently dragged a group of messages and dropped them on the Personal Folders line of my Outlook. Now I cannot find those messages. They don't seem to be in any of the folders under Personal Folders. So when you move messages to Personal Folders, where do they go? Is it possible to retrieve them? Thanks for any help. Tim WHen you drop a folder into your personal folders group they go into whatever personal folder is located there -- make sure it is expanded. Once you drop a folder in there you can drag it back out and into your inbox (or whereever). Personal Folders ar...

deleting message in newsgroups
ive just re formatted my hard drive how do you delete news messages once youve read them. i could before im using outlook express. the delete tab is there but not able to use it. cliff taylor wrote: > ive just re formatted my hard drive how do you delete news messages once > youve read them. i could before im using outlook express. the delete tab is > there but not able to use it. > > > That's because you haven't got the most up-to-date OE. Go to Windows Update and get the latest patches. -- Interim Systems and Management Accounting Gordon Burgess-Parker Di...

Is it possible to recover a file that's been saved over?
I'm sure I already know the answer to this question, but I have to ask anyway. I was working on an Excel file containing very important information on my laptop. I wanted to save the file to my thumb drive in order to create a backup copy. I recall being prompted by the save action to replace the existing copy, which I assumed was referring to the old copy that was already on my thumb drive, so I selected the "Yes" button. Now that I've tried to open the file on the laptop, I realize that it now has the old copy. Basically, I saved the old version of the file on top...

Recover Outlook Tasks
I use tasks as a to-do list and have a problem with some tasks that have been deleted by a synchronisation. I sync a PocketPC2002 pda with a notebook and a desktop both running XP Outlook 2002. I didn't realise when doing a recent sync (ActiveSync 3.7.1) with the notebook that many of my tasks were deleted. Before realising I synced with the desktop so now none of the three devices have all my tasks. Is there a way to recover them? There is nothing in the deleted folders or archives. Thanks in advance... Did you have a backup of your PST file, presuming you use a PST file? If ...

cannot empty the clipboard message
In Win NT, Excel 2000: I run macros in Excel and when copying (Ctr C) and pasting (Ctr V) I get the message "Cannot empty the clipboard". How can I avoid this? Operation would be fine when pressing OK, but now the message returns more then once... The message makes running macros very troublesome... I found some correspondence about this on the net suggesting to set [control panel-settings-administrative tools-services-Clipbook] to start and automatic and relog. It does not work for me. PLEASE HELP! ...