Recover mailbox from deleted account

I had a request to recover data from a former employee's mailbox. The
employee in question has been gone for about a year. I was able to
resorte the Private store to the RSG, and I can see the mail-box
listed, but I can't seem to get to the mail data. I have tried
recreating an account with the same name, that has not worked. I have
tried exmerge, and that also has not worked. I am sure the issue has to
do with the SID of the original account missing, but is there any way
to get around this? Using Exchange 2003 native mode. BE offers during
recovery to recreate accounts, and if I have to I will try that, but I
would rather not go there because there are quite a few accounts that
would be restored, and BE is not selective. THis is not a brick level
backup.

only way to recover a mailbox that's been deleted when the account has also
been deleted is to either build a recovery server, or to use a third party
product such as Quest's Recovery Manager for Exchange, which is terrific to
have for a situation such as this...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"EP" <eric.perdue@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I had a request to recover data from a former employee's mailbox. The
> employee in question has been gone for about a year. I was able to
> resorte the Private store to the RSG, and I can see the mail-box
> listed, but I can't seem to get to the mail data. I have tried
> recreating an account with the same name, that has not worked. I have
> tried exmerge, and that also has not worked. I am sure the issue has to
> do with the SID of the original account missing, but is there any way
> to get around this? Using Exchange 2003 native mode. BE offers during
> recovery to recreate accounts, and if I have to I will try that, but I
> would rather not go there because there are quite a few accounts that
> would be restored, and BE is not selective. THis is not a brick level
> backup.

0
sconkey (3059)
5/1/2006 8:12:27 PM
On Mon, 1 May 2006 13:12:27 -0700, "Susan"
<sconkey@mgmmirage.nospam.com> wrote:

>only way to recover a mailbox that's been deleted when the account has also
>been deleted is to either build a recovery server, or to use a third party
>product such as Quest's Recovery Manager for Exchange, which is terrific to
>have for a situation such as this...

Another possibility is to mount the files in a new store if you have
Enterprise and associate it with a dummy account.
0
adavid (8731)
5/1/2006 8:31:57 PM
This does look like a good solution, although rather expensive. You
know you need to worry when instead of simply listing a price, the
website has a "Request a quote" link. :-)

Thank you Susan!

Andy,

This sounds promising. I am assuming I would declare another SG and
modify it to  use to the restored EDB files, then mount it? At that
point I could attach any of the disconnected mailbox to the account of
my choosing? Is this theory, or have you tried it?

Huh?
Would not RSG help in situation like this? Or I am missing some key
piece of information?
Thanks a lot!

--
Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org
Free Internet calling - www.skype.com
Free SQL database Firebird - full support for transaction control,
triggers, stored procedures, partial SQL-99 compliance
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142758270:704186&page=what_is_interbase
0
kpalagin (1838)
5/2/2006 9:03:35 PM
not if the AD account has been deleted...won't work...

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Kirill Palagin" <kpalagin@no.phxint.mail.ru> wrote in message
> Huh?
> Would not RSG help in situation like this? Or I am missing some key
> piece of information?
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Susan wrote:
> > only way to recover a mailbox that's been deleted when the account has
also
> > been deleted is to either build a recovery server, or to use a third
party
> > product such as Quest's Recovery Manager for Exchange, which is terrific
> > have for a situation such as this...
> >
> > --
> > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> >

> > "EP" <eric.perdue@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> I had a request to recover data from a former employee's mailbox. The
> >> employee in question has been gone for about a year. I was able to
> >> resorte the Private store to the RSG, and I can see the mail-box
> >> listed, but I can't seem to get to the mail data. I have tried
> >> recreating an account with the same name, that has not worked. I have
> >> tried exmerge, and that also has not worked. I am sure the issue has to
> >> do with the SID of the original account missing, but is there any way
> >> to get around this? Using Exchange 2003 native mode. BE offers during
> >> recovery to recreate accounts, and if I have to I will try that, but I
> >> would rather not go there because there are quite a few accounts that
> >> would be restored, and BE is not selective. THis is not a brick level
> >> backup.
> >>

> --
> Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.
>
> Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org
> Free Internet calling - www.skype.com
> Free SQL database Firebird - full support for transaction control,
> triggers, stored procedures, partial SQL-99 compliance

http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142758270:704186&page=what_
is_interbase

0
sconkey (3059)
5/2/2006 9:26:57 PM
Thanks.

--
Text from most Windows dialogs can be copied to clipboard with Ctrl-INS.

Free productivity applications suit - www.openoffice.org
Free Internet calling - www.skype.com
Free SQL database Firebird - full support for transaction control,
triggers, stored procedures, partial SQL-99 compliance
http://www.ibphoenix.com/main.nfs?a=ibphoenix&s=1142758270:704186&page=what_is_interbase
0
kpalagin (1838)
5/3/2006 4:46:47 PM
Andy,

Awesome suggestion, worked like a champ. I had to run an eseutil repair
against the database in order to get it to mount, but other than that,
it worked as I hoped it would.

Thanks!

How do you recover a parameter?
Hello, I would like to execute an excel file, for example, with a file name file.xls zz.txt And afterwards, in that file, I would like to recover the name zz.txt. Could you please help me? Thanks. Dave, I'm not sure what you mean by "execute" the Excel file, or "recover the name." It sounds as though you want to make a txt file from the xls file. If so, you'll need to open it in Excel, then do File - Save As, with the file type set to txt. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com ----------------------------------------------------------------------- &...

outlook xp recovered data - from CD
I just received a CD with all of my recovered outlook xp data from a failed hard drive: how do I move/copy/transfer the recovered Calendar, address book and contacts, personal folders, and emails from the data recovery CD to my existing Outlook folders? Where does that data reside on my new hard drive (windows xp pro oper system)? Would very much appreciate any help. Thanks. "kevinh" <kevin.hefner@aps.com> wrote in message news:0c7601c3b8f4$d417b3c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I just received a CD with all of my recovered outlook xp > data from a failed hard drive: ho...

purge user's mailbox
I want to erase all messages from the user's mailbox. As Exchange Admin I connect the system manager, but the option of purge and reconnect are grayed out. How can I erase all user's mails? Thank you Those options will only be available on mailboxes that have been deleted and the mailbox cleanup agent has run. You could consider deleting the mailbox and just creating a new one of the user - that will certainly clean it. That's probably the quickest way for a single user. If you want to process multiple mailboxes, consider using the mailbox manager. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MV...

Recover live calendars?
Someone was helping me cleanup an old laptop and they deleted important calendars from my WLM. I have months worth of appointments and need some help/instructions. Thanks (I hope) Did you sign in to Live services in WLM? It will not say Sign in below the Close X if you are signed in. calendar.live.com will have the calendars that will sync back to WLM the next time you connect with WLM. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "nimbus" <nimbus@live.com> wrote in message news:CDFEEBEA-D031-4B0B-AECC-58F904E3E601@microsoft.com... > Someone was helping ...

Cannot delete Sent Items #2
I can't delete some of the older files from my Sent Items folder. Basically everything dated 12/7/2004 and earlier will not delete. I get an error message that says "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook." I've restarted and still get the same error. I even restarted the computer as well. Anybody got any ideas? thanks, Richard Are you able to right-click on an individual email and delete it? Have you tried opening Outlook in safe mode and then deleting the sent items: http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howt...

HELP!!! Deleting all transactions
I get an error when I try to "delete all transactions" from the "Store" then "Database" menu. the error says "Could not truncate table "VitalAuthorization" becase table does not exist in database." If it's RMS, the table name is VisaNetAuthorizaion, not VitalAuthorization. <jjames@rmegroup.net> wrote in message news:1172177341.668792.19840@a75g2000cwd.googlegroups.com... >I get an error when I try to "delete all transactions" from the > "Store" then "Database" menu. the error says "Could ...

Automate Account Numbers
Hi, I posted this but couldn't see it. So here it is again. I want to automate account number allocation when creating new accounts. Is this possible? Am I able to create rules for the account number? Also if everything is possible with luck, can we do so for the accounts we are going to migrate from Goldmine, though they didn't have any account numbers. Silly questions. Appreciate your help. Tony ...

Recover !!
Ok i updated my old outlook and because it was too much for my system (like all windows updates) i uninstalled oulook then reinstalled the old version now i have none of my old emails and there not in my hotmail either and they were going into both, hotmail and my outlook ~ so can anyone help me? or is it lost forever What is the version of your old Outlook? Try to search *.pst file "Robin" <rwtsr1@msn.com> wrote in message news:cb4101c48a4c$21dfd000$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Ok i updated my old outlook and because it was too much > for my system (like all windows upda...

Recover Unsaved
I need help. Excel closed without saving what I was working on now I need to recover it.... You do not say how Excel closed or what version you are using. The later versions have an AutoRecover feature. If you closed Excel without saving the file, you may not be able to recover. -- Damon Longworth Don't miss out on the 2005 Excel User Conference Sept 16th and 17th Stockyards Hotel - Ft. Worth, Texas www.ExcelUserConference.com "Tori" <Tori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F64C96B-62FD-430D-A27A-DF00A9AA64D0@microsoft.com... >I need help. Exce...

Mailbox Manager help
Will Mailbox Manager on Exchange 2003 search inside new folders created by users on root level of users mailboxes?? I have seen conflicting accounts on this. In testing I have not been able to delete messages out of a newly created folder. Can anyone put this question to rest for me Also inside of Mailbox Manager settings what is the system cleanup folder ...

Outlook Live and two hotmail accounts
I have just upgraded to Outlook Live (ie 2003). I run this on an XP machine. I have two hotmail accounts which I wish to access with Outlook. One works fine, but the other doesn't. The two accounts have different .NET logons (whatever that means). I go through the procedure to add the offending account using Outlook Connector. It duly appears on the list but when I try to open the folder, it complains with a message "This folder could not be opened". Both hotmail accounts are Hotmail Plus. The only obvious difference is that the misbehaving one is '@hotmail.co.uk'...

O/L 2007 deleting valid e-mails
"all of a sudden" (after an update?) my Outlook 2007 has been sending inward emails apparently at random to 'Deleted' rather than Inbox. In some cases EVEN IF it's from a trusted address or if it's a reply to an e-mail I've sent. I can trace no pattern as to why it does so. Junk Mail filter works 100% correctly, however, and Junk ends up in the right place. Any cure?? Previous thread was inconclusive. TIA Phil Harrison nosirrah;114164 Wrote: > "all of a sudden" (after an update?) my Outlook 2007 has been sending > inward ...

Permanently delete recycle bin give more free space to the server?
Hi, I hav a server running NT Server with Exchange 5.5, and set 3 days to delete permanently all Deleted Items Folders. The info. on Private IS shows deleted items has been deleted. Why the free space on the server has not increase? Can I get more free space on the server by deleting permanently Deleted Items Folders? Thank you in advance. Deleting items from the database increases the amount of free space in the database, but does not shrink the DB file. Do do that , you have to take the daatabase offline and run eseutil... See http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchang...

Help! I accidentally deleted emails that I desperately need to recover... Any suggestions please?
Desperate here! I have used LACIE back up, does it save emails? Many thanks! On 1/26/10 10:20 AM, in article C7847266.27FB9%gavin@kerner.com, "Gavin Wilding" <gavin@kerner.com> wrote: > Desperate here! I have used LACIE back up, does it save emails? It depends on what you backed up. Without more details, we can't help. You can use Switch Identity to access data in a second Identity. -- Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/> Entourage Help Blog <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/> YouTalk <...

Account unknown #2
When viewing the mailbox rights of a number of our users there is an entry for 'Account Unknown (S-1-5-21-59991277-438593048-1990678075-3689)'. This, I believe, is a hang over from migration from w2k to w2k3 servers with new names - a group? that doesn't exist in the new schema. If I try to remove this entry I get an error telling me that this is inherited and must be removed from the parent. Problem is that I can't find any object with that SID anywhere in the schema. Can anyone suggest a way that I can remove this invalid SID? -- -------------------------------------...

cannot delete text field
I have a shape group with a sub shape that displays one of the parent shapes custom properties via a custom formula field. I inadvertently added two of the fields so that now the data is displayed twice. When I right click on the extra field in the "Insert Field" dialog there is no drop down menu, just hitting the delete key does nothing. In the shape sheet when I select the corresponding row the delete option on the drop down menu is grayed out? How do I delete this field? Hey Guy don't abuse of the fresh beer when working on Visio (Dont be angry i'm jocking) If...

Mail stuck in outbox, can't delete,won't send, retards send/rec.
I recently scanned 6 pages of text to e-mail, I was asked about the format, it was .bmp, a mistake as it then attached the .bmp to the e-mail taking 84 mb of memory. Once I noticed this after beginning send I attempted to abort the send. It stopped the send. Next I tried deleting, couldn't do that as the message appeared "can't open, Outlook has begun sending". Well, it really wasn't as I went to bed and awoke to find it still in my outbox. Tried sending again, same result. Next I tried to delete, no luck, tried dragging to delete folder, no luck. Right clic...

Directly from bank account into fund
I'm using MS Money 2004 Small Business. I have a Fidelity retirement account. Any time I try to import their QIF file, I get a transaction header error and nothing is imported. I use this exact same method with Scottrade but their import works fine. Fidelity has no idea how to resolve this. Does anyone else have this problem? I have to manually enter in contributions. That's ok because when I enter in my monthly payment from work, I do a split transaction and send my % deduction to the Fidelity Cash Transactions account. From there it goes into a fund. Is that correct? The pr...

priv1 mailbox
All! I have created a new Exchange Server 2003 and created new mailstores on e:\. I have migrated over my mailboxes to the new mailstores and all seems fine. However I still have c:\program files\exchsvr\mdbdata\priv1.edb on the boot volume and it's 5GB in size. How did it get so big if it's not in use? Can I safely remove it? I would have thought so but given it's size I am no longer sure. Mark ...

Deleting an exchange 2000 server
Hi All Does anyone have any thoughts on how to remove an Exchange 2000 server that doesnt exist from an Exchange ORG ? I know of a way to remove it using the ADSI EDit utlity... Expand Configuration (Server name)--> CN=configuration,DC=.example,DC=.COM--> CN=Services --> CN=Microsoft Exchange --> CN=Organization --> CN= Administrative Groups --> CN=(Name of the RG or Admin Grop) --> CN=Servers --> Rt. Click on the server which you wannna delete and delete it. Can I / Should I delete this server from the members in the routing group so no email gets routed to ...

when I delete messages or rss it asks me if I want to delete
when I delete messages or rss it asks me if I want to delete this is extreemly agravating I have looked but I don't see where I can disable this tools, options, other tab, advanced button - warn before deleting? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What version of ...

purge the discoonect mailbox after moving mailbox task failed
Hi all, Unfortunately, moving several users' mailboxes to the new exchange 2003 server failed at the first time; I ran the second time again on the different store on the new server sucessfully. but, the mailbox failed on that store has red x on it and I tried to purge and ccould do it as it already connected to the existing user? Any solution to this? Thanks. ...

Recover junk mail
How can I recover all of my mail from the junk mail folder that I mistakenly just deleted? afaik...locally emptying or purging the junk mail folder is permanent in WLM(and also if using WLM for http access to a Hotmail account). If Pop3, access the web server holding the account to determine if the messages are present(ymmv) in the web Deleted folder. -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18654186-1254-4406-9DAF-22B213E775D4@microsoft.com... > How can I recover all of my mail from the junk mail fold...

Cannot delete public folder items while being folder owner
We are having this problem that seems to be a little weird.. A person having access as a publishing editor or even folder owner of our public folders (contacts, calendar, or tasks) cannot delete anything that was made more than a week ago. If someone creates a new item now then one of those people can manipulate it however they want.. But on an older entry only the administrator account can delete or change an entry.. Even people with ownership and editor rights cannot do it.. This is the annoying error an owner or someone with sufficient rights sees when trying to perform this task ...

Automate Account Numbers
Hi Can we automate the allocation of account numbers following the rules we set is MS CRM? If yes, how? Thanks. Tony Tony, Best bet to implement something like this would be via a post-Callout. You could have it monitor the Insert events and then assign the account number to the record via an update. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 03:09:02 -0700, "Tony" <Tony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Hi Can we automate the allocation of account numbers following the rules we s...