Realworld experiences sought. E2K3 Archiving

G'Day All,

I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
Exchange mailbox and information store.
My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.

Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
and you experiences with it.

Thanks very much.

0
ferg1 (17)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <ferg@ferg.com> wrote:

>G'Day All,
>
>I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
>Exchange mailbox and information store.
>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>
>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
>and you experiences with it.
>
>Thanks very much.

It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
archive time.

EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.
0
mark7219 (5666)
4/4/2007 5:24:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Can anyone offer me their experiences with any of these products?

Thanks

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <ferg@ferg.com> wrote:
>
>>G'Day All,
>>
>>I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
>>Exchange mailbox and information store.
>>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>>
>>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
>>and you experiences with it.
>>
>>Thanks very much.
>>

> It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
> your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
> mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
> to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
> it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
> days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
> attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
> you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
> archive time.
>
> EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
> other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.

0
ferg1 (17)
4/4/2007 5:34:04 PM
On Apr 4, 6:34 pm, "ferg" <f...@ferg.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Can anyone offer me their experiences with any of these products?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <m...@mvps.org> wrote in messagenews:skn713h7sugcisknm93l29s6i27jfdmm84@4ax.com...
>

> > On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <f...@ferg.com> wrote:
>
> >>G'Day All,
>
> >>I am contemplating SymantecEnterpriseVaultto help solve my growing
> >>Exchange mailbox and information store.
> >>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>
> >>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
> >>and you experiences with it.
>
> >>Thanks very much.
>
> > It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
> > your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
> > mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
> > to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
> > it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
> > days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
> > attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
> > you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
> > archive time.
>
> > EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
> > other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.- Hide quoted text -

As a ZANTAZ EAS ASE and Enterprise Vault SE I would recommend EAS
everytime.

IIS using 25% CPU on E2k3 FE server
We have two E2k3 FE servers configured in NLB. Normally they run at almost 0% CPU. However, they both have a habit of going to around 25% (not at the same time) and then staying around there (never returning to normal). Task Manager shows the process as w3wp.exe. Restarting IIS (web publishing service) fixes the problem, but it always comes back. Any ideas? -GT ...

~ your store & FWD experience
Hello, Our office has 1500 exchange users: Here's how the mail flow works MX 1 - delivers messages to SMTP gateway device1 MX2 - delivers messages to SMTP gateway device2 in the case of SMTP gateway device1's failure Both SMTP gateway devices deliver messages to our 2 FE servers In the event both SMTP gateway devices are down we'd like to look into a service which would queue up messages until an SMTP device came back. Are there any popular services which anyone could recommend? Is store & FWD the way to go? Is there another solution for this situation? Thanks Every...

Archive Sink Vs. Journaling
Hello, Which is a better option. I want to implement message logging and was confused as to which way is better in terms: -how comprehensive the message archiving is? -resources usage. Any help is appreciated. thanks. -st Both are not 100% perfect and have their Limitations. Why dont u use Aloaha. I offers you pop3, SINK, Journaling and SMTP Proxy. So you really cover all your needs. Uno "stonefly" <shitij_T@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:#jQA0ZD4EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello, > Which is a better option. I want to implement messa...

Which folders are archived?
Is there a simple way to obtain a list of the folder archive setting for a .pst file? I have a number of Outlook personal files, some wit many, many folders, and I'd like to know what their archive setting are (archive folder name, interval, etc.) without having do ope Properties on each one. Is there a simple way or an existing utility? Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

archived e-mail?
Where to archived e-mails get stored? How can I access them? - Dan [XP Pro/Office 2003] By default they go to a file named archve.pst and can be found here; C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst You can connect to it by File-> Open-> Outlook Data File... -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "@"...

Exchange 2003
Hi All, When implementing Exchange 2003, does anyone have any ideas on the best way to setup archiving of old email?? On our current Exchange system, we are not limiting the mailbox sizes of the user community. For the most part, this has been ok, but you always have at least 20% of the people, who never ever delete anything....which of course leads to huge mailbox sizes, decreased performance, etc. If possible, we would like to develop the archiving process in house, rather then purchasing a third party app. I have heard that you can archive Exchange to SQL, which sounds promising....

Import .pst archive file
I'm trying without success to import a file that I have placed on my PC with Outlook or Express. The file properties have read-only removed and I have chnaged the program association so it will open with Outlook Express (in the hope that I can then import from Express to Outlook 2002). When I open the file it opens Outlook Express but does not open the mails. Any suggestions please? a PST can not be opened by OE. You'll need to install Outlook. if you have Outlook installed, what errors do you get when you use file, open, outlook data file (or personal folders) -- Diane Por...

Followup - Manual Payments
Thanks for the answers to the previous post. We are now approx. 2 weeks behind in entries for Dynamics. I was hoping to delegate the transaction entry among 2 clerks. I was going to have #1 enter transactions from Realworld for odd days and #2 enter transactions for even days. However, the check number does not allow for concurrent entry, i.e. we can't advance the check number for #2 to enter checks prior to #1 entering the checks for the prior day. Is there a workaround? I am thinking of running a bogus checkbook and close out the account to the real checkbook's account o...

Messages bouncing back from *archive@domain.com"
Msgs are going through to distribution groups fine, however I keep getting "delay" and Undeliverable errors that the message did not reach the "distributiongroup"archive@"ourdomain".com. I am not journaling with my mailbox store and I checked the distribution group properties and found the "archive" as a member and deleted it but still no go. Any thoughts? Thanks Please post the NDR. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Pete Kepler" <dcarico@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:...

Add2Exchange experience?
I have been searching back through the various exchange groups looking for some feedback on this product. I have found a ton of posts that recommend or suggest the product, but none from anyone actually using it. For those that have it installed and are actively using it, can you provide some info (good/bad) on your experience? Thanks. "Harkin" <nospam@here.com> wrote in message news:e988aa$kel$1@news.iquest.net... >I have been searching back through the various exchange groups looking > for some feedback on this product. I have found a ton of posts that > recommend...

Outlook2k Archive Error
I keep getting the message :Unable to Archive an unexpected error has occurred" Any Ideas???? I would like to clean up older stuff. Thanks -- Morningstar Productions, LLC 42346 Rio Nedo Suite I Temecula, CA 92590 909-296-6242 www.msmp.com How large is the archive file? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** "Morningstar Productions" <resoaszk@verizon.net> wrote in message news:y2e%a.1651$kK4.726@nwrddc02.gnilink.net... > I...

E2k3 Mail flow issue
I'm running a Win2k3, Exch2k3 server. Mail is flowing in/out fine, except for a few domains: yahoo, Earthlink, MSN. I can do a reverse lookup from an external server and it returns the correct information. Also, I have nothing configured under the External DNS settings in the SMTP Virtual Server. I thought it may be because th FQDN specified in Exchange settings is different than the FQDN being returned by a reverse lookup. I changed this and it didn't seem to alleviate the problem. With a change like this, should mail start flowing right away, or would messages already in the ...

Archive Folder items going into "Deleted Items"
My organization uses Auto-archive to archive items older than 3 months to a networked .pst file. This has helped keep our Exchange server database size within workable limits. Lately, I've gotten complaints from some users that all the messages in their archive folders are going into the "Deleted Items" folder in the archive. The original folders are still there, but all the messages they contain are now in "Deleted Items", and it's hard to find a specific message. The archive folders range in size from .34 GB to 3.0 GB. Typically, they'll contain thousands...

Manual Payments
I was wondering if there is a quicker way in Dynamics to input manual payments. We are running Realworld 8.0 concurrently with Dynamics for another month. The actual checks are being printed out of Realworld for now. To more quickly enter the data into Dynamics the client tried to use manual payments without entering Payables Transactions which left all the check amounts for a batch unapplied. Now in Dynamics we are entering in Payables Transactions and then doing manual payments to match the checks with the applied invoices with how they were paid in Realworld, (they may not pay all ...

Anybody experience XPath anxiety?

Retrieving (re-importing) .pst archive files in Outlook 2000
Can anyone tell me how to import .pst archive files in Outlook 2000? I have tried Import from another program or file/Personal Folder File (.pst)/File to import/Browse => C:Documents and Settings/User(My name)/Application data/Microsoft/Outlook ... and can't see any .pst files. In Windows Explorer, a search in the same location (i.e C:Documents and Settings/User(My name)/Application data/Microsoft/Outlook) reveals .FAV, .LOG, .DAT and other files, but none of my .pst archive files. I have ensured that "Show hidden files and folders" is switched on in Tools/Folder...

Force auto-archive settings for non-domain members.
Hello, One of my customers has an ongoing problem with huge mailboxes. They routinely send and receive large messages (20+MB) internally and externally. For the internal messages, we're teaching them how to use Sharepoint and point to the files they want to send, but we're pretty well stuck with the messages they send and receive externally. Because of the size issues, we would like to set a policy to enforce the Auto-Archive settings that should be applied to each user. The setup makes this option less clear and that is where I need the most help. They have a SBS2003 server with ...

how do you archive journals
On June 25 the question was posted about periodically eliminating receipts. Someone answered yes. Achive your journals. How do you do this? Bob, I posted today, 7-1-2004 how to archive journals.The topic was: Re: Still waiting for answer about archiving posted by Stuart -- Elizabeth M. "Bob" <temp1524@comcast.net> wrote in message news:23a9101c45eac$ce182050$a401280a@phx.gbl... > On June 25 the question was posted about periodically > eliminating receipts. > > Someone answered yes. Achive your journals. > > How do you do this? You can also try our...

Realworld experiences sought. E2K3 Archiving
G'Day All, I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing Exchange mailbox and information store. My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever. Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this and you experiences with it. Thanks very much. On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <ferg@ferg.com> wrote: >G'Day All, > >I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing >Exchange mailbox and information store. >My users are pack rat and wants to keep ...

Archiving in Outlook 2002 (XP) SP1
I have set the Auto-Archive setting in options to archive all folders according to the setting I have indicated. It appears to archive but when I check the folder no items are displayed. The items "modified date" are of age to be archived? I have also attempted to set the archive date directly onto the folder that I want to archive and this does nothing. Any help would be appreaciated. >-----Original Message----- >I have set the Auto-Archive setting in options to archive >all folders according to the setting I have indicated. It >appears to archive but when I ...

Groupwise to E2k3
I need to move mail and calendar info from Novell Groupwise 5.x (don't know the exact version yet) to Exchange 2003. There is no need for coexistence. How can this be done in the simplest and most effective way? I've read about installing a client with XP, Novell Client and groupwise and then run the Exmerge on that computer. Can this be done? And what rights do I need then? Or do I need to configure the Novell Groupwise connector on the Exchange Server? Thanks in advance Hans Hi Hans, The GW Connector in Exchange is only for mail flow purposes and does not need to be installed f...

File specs for realworld uma created files pre conversion to GP Dy
I am working on an upgrade from realworld to GP Dyn 8. I am using the uma tool to do the conversion. The client has made extensive changes to the chart of accounts and other data, so I need to modify this info prior to transferring it to GP. I have looked but can't seem to put my finger on the file specs that the uma tool creates when it creates the files to convert to GP. I need to know the field names and what they represent. I looked in the uma tool docs, but couldn't find what I was looking for. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks in advance, Suzanne ...

Experiment with frontpage
Hi, I am creating an experiment and I would like users to continue to the next page when hitting the submit button on a form. I've tried making the next page the confirmation page for the previous page but that doesn't seem to work. Do I need a frames page? Here's the link to the first page: http://www24.homepage.villanova.edu/kelly.madden/Page1.htm In Form properties on page1.htm, change the confirmation page from http://www24.homepage.villanova.edu/kelly.madden/Page2.demographicquestions.htm to Page2.demographicquestions.htm.htm But a better method would be to ...

Looking for experience CRM integration consultants.
I am operating a new Tech startup, called TekSpecs. We are a consulting services company who looks to grow into a complete managed services provider. Is their a programmer out their who would be interested in helping us enhance the MS CRM product and build a completely integrated system to manage our business? I am open to creative compensation and such. Email me privately: jleschorn@tekspecs.com I hope to hear from you soon, John T. Leschorn I did alot in ms crm, i am available for this customization and integration of the projects.. I make integrate of marketing tool with ms crm, al...

Auto Archive in Mailbox Size Warnings
My question is easy enough - can the AutoArchive option be removed from the Exchange default warning that gets sent when a user approaches their mailbox size limit? We would like to have that removed if it's possible. Thanks for any Reply - Jon On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 12:59:57 -0600, "Jon" <lanmanjs@comcast.net> wrote: > My question is easy enough - can the AutoArchive option be removed >from the Exchange default warning that gets sent when a user approaches >their mailbox size limit? We would like to h...