Realworld experiences sought. E2K3 Archiving

G'Day All,

I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
Exchange mailbox and information store.
My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.

Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
and you experiences with it.

Thanks very much.

0
ferg1 (17)

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <ferg@ferg.com> wrote:

>G'Day All,
>
>I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
>Exchange mailbox and information store.
>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>
>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
>and you experiences with it.
>
>Thanks very much.

It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
archive time.

EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.
0
mark7219 (5667)
4/4/2007 5:24:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

Can anyone offer me their experiences with any of these products?

Thanks

> On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <ferg@ferg.com> wrote:
>
>>G'Day All,
>>
>>I am contemplating Symantec Enterprise Vault to help solve my growing
>>Exchange mailbox and information store.
>>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>>
>>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
>>and you experiences with it.
>>
>>Thanks very much.
>>

> It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
> your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
> mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
> to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
> it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
> days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
> attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
> you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
> archive time.
>
> EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
> other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.

0
ferg1 (17)
4/4/2007 5:34:04 PM
On Apr 4, 6:34 pm, "ferg" <f...@ferg.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Can anyone offer me their experiences with any of these products?
>
> Thanks
>
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" <m...@mvps.org> wrote in messagenews:skn713h7sugcisknm93l29s6i27jfdmm84@4ax.com...
>

> > On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 13:04:08 -0400, "ferg" <f...@ferg.com> wrote:
>
> >>G'Day All,
>
> >>I am contemplating SymantecEnterpriseVaultto help solve my growing
> >>Exchange mailbox and information store.
> >>My users are pack rat and wants to keep emails and attachments forever.
>
> >>Please tell me about your third party software that's taking care of this
> >>and you experiences with it.
>
> >>Thanks very much.
>
> > It's all down to your business requirements. It doesn't matter whether
> > your users are pack rats or whatever; if management wants rid of the
> > mail it's your task to get it deleted and prevent them from being able
> > to maintain PST files. If management want to keep all the mail then
> > it's your job to do that. You can work out with management how many
> > days worth of mail you keep the messages online and how the
> > attachments are pulled out to the archive. With EV and other solutions
> > you can choose to pull the attachment out earlier than the blanket
> > archive time.
>
> > EV is an excellent solution but they are losing a lot of ground to the
> > other players as Symantec stagnates and the others catch up.- Hide quoted text -

As a ZANTAZ EAS ASE and Enterprise Vault SE I would recommend EAS
everytime.

Restore archive pst after moving to new computer
I want to use the archive feature, but am afraid that after I buy a new computer and move outlook to the new machine that I wont be able to properly migrate the archive data to the new machine also. Any advise on how to do this? Thanks. -- moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam moondaddy <moondaddy@newsgroup.nospam> wrote: > I want to use the archive feature, but am afraid that after I buy a > new computer and move outlook to the new machine that I wont be able > to properly migrate the archive data to the new machine also. Any > advise on how to do this? http://www.howto-ou...

Unable to Archive
I have a Strange problem on a user here, using outlook 2000 using Corporate Email to connect to our Exchange servers. Basically whenever a user tries to archive data, Outlook goes through the motions and processes the selected folders, but the .PST file is empty. The only thing that shows up is the Deleted Items, but it is empty. No matter what date I start the archive from or where I choose to put the archive file. I've tried different logging on as the user on a different PC and get the same result. it just started to happen without any prior issues. Any Ideas..... TIA Ch...

turn off auto-archiving
we have some users who get the popup about auto-archiving their email, which we do not want them to do. can that be disabled so that no user in the company gets that message? outlook 2003, exchange 2003. that's a client-side configuration...don't know if there's a way to disable that centrally... -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Gary M" <garym_jacksonfurniture(removespam)@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uyBKV0mZHHA.3612@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > we have some users who get the popup about auto-archiving their email, > which we do not want them to do. &g...

Splitting Outlook 2000 Archive
I have been archiving my emails over the past two years into one pst file and it's approaching 1.7gb. Is there a way to split an Outlook archive (.pst) file once its been created? I understand that once the file gets over 1.7gb in size there's a risk of it getting corrupt. I reference my archived emails constantly and would like to be able to continue to do so but at the risk of loosing data if possible I could pull out the first years data. Any and all is appreciated. TIA Joe On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 14:44:07 -0700, "JOe Gieder" <joe.gieder@lmco.com> wrote: >I...

Replicating E2K3 Servers over WAN
I have an office in state A connected via WAN to my state B office. They are currently running in a different AD forest but have built a new W2K3 domain controller to take them. I would also like E2K3 running in the state A office so the users would not be coming over the WAN link to send and receive mail. Would this be possible if I install E2K3 on the new domain controller and called it a second Exchange server in the first domain? By doing this will all mailboxes and public folders automatically replicate or can I designate what mailboxes and public folders I want replicated? If your in...

Upgraded to Exch2003, OWA2003, but experience is slow
I've setup a two node Exch2003 cluster. I still have Exch2000 running in co-existence with the new Exch2003 system. THen I create a new mailbox on the new Exch2003 cluster back-end servers. Via OWA, I logon with newUserAccount and I see the OWA 2003 interface. However, it comes slow and it doesn't finalize all the grapics. I try to send an e-mail, but I click "New" and nothing appears. Something is not working right. Any idea of what could it be ? I did not configure the steps below outlined the Exch2003 Deployment guide: Creating the HTTP Virtual Servers in Exchange...

How do I archive based on sent/ received date not "last modified" date
We have combined our group's e-mails into one account that we all access. Now there is a whole directory tree of projects that we all work on... and each of us can see the most current e- mails in any project regardless of who wrote them. However, when we try to archive them, they are archived based on the "last modified date". For most e-mails, this is when we moved them into the project folder (i.e. last week when we created the group e-mail) even though we may have received the e-mail months or years ago. Is there anyway to archive based on the sent or received dat...

Archiving the Calendar
When archiving the calendar in Outlook I know it doesn't archive recurring appointments. My archiving is set to clean out items older than 6 months. I would think that this would populate my archive calendar back to April '03, instead there is nothing there back to May '03 and everything is there but my recurring appointments April back to January, then nothing again past December '02. Thoughts? Archiving works on the modified date. Since recurring appointments will have been opened or accessed after your set archive period, they will not be archived. You can test t...

Archive Data
I am using MSMoney 04 and I will have to upgrade soon. My current file is large (4 disks to backup). What are the Pros and Cons of using Money's Archive feature? How will it affect upgrading? How will it affect reports? Such as Net Worth Over Time? Having tried archiving, there are no pros and many cons. It basically does not work as you probably expect. Not much reduction in file size and no speed gain. There is absolutely no reason to archive that I can find and I certainly would not consider it. And archiving destroys your ability to access old data in reports. Don't k...

Outlook 2003 archiving problem
Hi, I am using Outlook 2003 and was manually archiving all of the folders under my Inbox. All of the folders -- dozens of folders in the directory tree -- archived fine to archive.pst until I got to one and received the error "Error while archiving folder 'Software' in store 'Personal Folders.' A folder by this name already exists." I have googled this group and see many references to this problem but I haven't found an explanation as to what causes this? I did note that I had a similar folder name in the archive.pst that have different upper and lower case spell...

vizola experiences?
Hi, is there anyone who already had some experiences with the vizola emarketing addon for MS CRM 4.0 http://www.vizola.com/vem/CRM_eMktg.stm What can i expect from this tool and what can't I? First time I have heard of this addon, if you get any feedback please post to the group. Thanks John =================== John O'Donnell, Microsoft Dynamics ISV Architect Evangelist My Blog - http://blogs.msdn.com/jodonnell CRM Wiki - http://channel9.msdn.com/Wiki/DynamicsCRM/HomePage/ Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/jodonnel Channel9 - http//channel9.msdn.com/niners/jodonnell "...

Outlook 2003 Archiving
Hi, All I am novice in VBA Outlook programming. I need collect all messages in some Outlook folder (for example, Junk E-mails, Spam, etc.) and add them to archive. I try to use "Archive..." command from File menu, but I want to use it from VBA macro. I can not find any "Archive" keyword in MS Outlook help. Could somebody help me? Andrey Kuzmin Why don't you use the Archive feature in Outlook if you cannot code it yourself? There's no Archive function, the function you'd need is called Move. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook ...

E2K3 OWA and Public Folders Access.
I'm looking for information on how to setup a Public Folder with anonymous access via OWA. I only want the anonymous access on a single folder, and not the rest of the public folder tree. I'm using Exchange 2003. TIA Hi Michael, Thank you for posting here. If I understand correctly, you are using Exchange 2003, and you want to enable anonymous access on a particular public folder via OWA. If I have misunderstood your concern, please let me know. By default, when you access public folders via OWA, you will be prompted for username and password. So what we need to do is to...

My experiences with Quicken so far
I just converted MSMoney (latest version) to Quicken 2010 Premium, and so far I have been happy with the results. Here are my thoughts: 1. Conversion went very well. I did both types of repair on my Money file before I started, just in case. I have about 12 years of transactions. Nothing was found. When I first did the convert, some balances were messed up. But a very detailed log existed, and I saw that it noted how quite a few accounts had their name truncated, and additionally a lot of account names were duplicates. What happened is all my investments has Cash Contribution accoun...

DPM 2010 Tape Archive
Hello ! The Data Protection Manager team is looking for DPM 2010 deployments (Beta, CTP etc) which have tape backups enabled. This is in order to get feedback and have an understanding of issues. Please send an email to dpmarch AT microsoft DOT com and we will connect to you. Thank you for your co-operation, -- Pranay Prabhakar [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights ...

how multiple recipient policies work in E2K3
If I have multiple recipient policies do they all get applied or only the one with the highest priority? Can someone explain a scenario where having multiple policies are used and also how the priority works? Try the article below http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319201 -- Teo Heras MCSE, CCNA Blog: http://teoheras.blogspot.com/ "AdminKen" wrote: > If I have multiple recipient policies do they all get applied or only the > one with the highest priority? > > Can someone explain a scenario where having multiple policies are used and > also how the prior...

Followup - Manual Payments
Thanks for the answers to the previous post. We are now approx. 2 weeks behind in entries for Dynamics. I was hoping to delegate the transaction entry among 2 clerks. I was going to have #1 enter transactions from Realworld for odd days and #2 enter transactions for even days. However, the check number does not allow for concurrent entry, i.e. we can't advance the check number for #2 to enter checks prior to #1 entering the checks for the prior day. Is there a workaround? I am thinking of running a bogus checkbook and close out the account to the real checkbook's account o...

Exchange 2003 archive #2
Is it possible to archieve mail from defined domains direct to public folders which is sent to normal users ? Our boss wants to have a history of all mail sent/recieved for key customers ! Thanx Jack -- Jeg beskyttes af den gratis SPAMfighter til privatbrugere. Den har indtil videre sparet mig for at få 44670 spam-mails. Betalende brugere får ikke denne besked i deres e-mails. Hent gratis SPAMfighter her: www.spamfighter.dk If I use this and set up rules on the mailbox that recieves the mail for different domains to move it public folders would it work out ? Jack -- Jeg be...

Archived, but PST is empty???
Outlook 2000, Exchange 5.5.... I "archived" my e-mail to c:\my documents\myname.pst. E-mail vanished from my in-box as expected. The pst file is 5MB in size BUT when I open that pst file, there is nothing in it. I tried the repair tool and it found no errors. If I drag another e-mail into that archive, it is there, but nothing else. Nothing in the deleted items, either. How can I get to those 5MB of e-mails that must be there?? Randy You might try some of the tips listed at http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm to try to recover a damaged ..PST. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP ...

Archive or log for RBL
Hi, is there a solution to have a log file or an archive folder for all msg that are dropped by my RBL? For me is interesting to know who was reject and better to have a specific archive folder to store these msg, like for MIF. Thanks in advance for your help djx On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 21:25:18 +0200, "djx" <djx@_fastwebnet_.it> wrote: >Hi, >is there a solution to have a log file or an archive folder for all msg that >are dropped by my RBL? >For me is interesting to know who was reject and better to have a specific >archive folder to store these msg, like...

Archive a Publisher Document and Breaking Links
I have a publisher document which has links to graphs in excel files. These graphs update themselves constantly. When this report is issued I want to save a copy (archive) of it at that point, with the graphs at that point (break the link). So it can be opened at a later stage and have the graphs as they were at the point it was archived. I am using Publisher 2000 SP3 and Excel 2000. Excel is set up so that when the document is opened (link update) it updates the graphs. I would like to keep the format exactly how it is in publisher (no html if format is destroyed). -- Thanks Dave ...

Error while archiving Sent folder
I haven't been able to clear my Sent box in months -- I get an "Error while archiving Sent folder" every time I try to archive the messages, and can't even delete them now. I'm running OL2002. I can't install SP3 because it wants the original CD, and my OL2000 was updated to 2002 when I was hooked up to an Exchange server (which I no longer have access to, so I can't update or do a Detect and Repair). I'm at a loss, and my 1200 sent items are making my PST file excessively large. Are there any alternate methods of archiving a folder and clearing it out? Thanx...

Bin Location change shortcut sought
The Inventory Wizard does not affect Bin Location (to my knowledge). Is there another way to do this without laboriously going through each item individually? Please CC me your reply. Thanks. -- ______________________________________________________ Larry Leveen OlyBikes Bikes, Parts, Repairs & GREAT Customer Service! 124 State Avenue NE Olympia, WA 98501 P: 360-753-7525 F: 360-528-7526 info@olybikes.com www.olybikes.com Featuring free bike advocacy and safety materials! The only 2 options I can think of would be to export all the Item fields into a CSV file then edit the...

E2K3: How can I modify folder permissions via script
Hello NG, how can I modify folder permissions of an Exchange2003 mailbox with windows Scripting Host or VB6 or whatever? I need such kind of script to add delegation for OWA 2003. I found an MS article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;295558 Does anybody know, if I can use this for Exchange2003? Thanks Petra ...

Performance Experiences
Hi, Just after some feedback re: single server crm 3.0 setup vs dedicated sql/report server & front end. Currently I have an SQL 2005 box w/ Reporting Services containing the metabase + mscrm databases, a separate box for the CRM Website/front-end, then the DC + exchange server on a separate box further to that. We've got a about 20,000 records currently in CRM 3.0. Not large by any means - but we're finding performance for end-users either through the Outlook Client (desktop, not laptop) or through the browser interface is lacking. I know MS have now released the Optimis...