Raid 5 write back vs write through

I understand the different between Write Mode policies - write back vs write
through but what is suggested for a Raid 5 that holds the DB and log files?
0
fl (20)

I would not run logs on Raid 5. Much more preferable to run on Raid 1 and if
you have the money Raid 10 for your dbs. Not many of us do so Raid 5 for
your dbs should be fine as long as it is on a separate channel/controller.
You should disable write back for integrity if nothing else.

Nue
"Fl" <Fl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I understand the different between Write Mode policies - write back vs
>write
> through but what is suggested for a Raid 5 that holds the DB and log
> files?

0
imaneophyte (3004)
1/30/2006 7:43:53 PM
I understand seperating the logs files is ideal on a Raid 1 but not possible
on this box without re-imaging, etc..  My real question though is on the Raid
5 that holds the DB, currently the write policy is set to Write Through.  Are
you suggesting to disable it completely?    I have 1 DB (out of 3) corrupt
twice even after rebuilding (exmerge, etc) and am assuming it's down to a
hardware issue.  Not sure if this has anything to do with it.

"Nuevo" wrote:

> I would not run logs on Raid 5. Much more preferable to run on Raid 1 and if
> you have the money Raid 10 for your dbs. Not many of us do so Raid 5 for
> your dbs should be fine as long as it is on a separate channel/controller.
> You should disable write back for integrity if nothing else.
>
> Nue
> "Fl" <Fl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I understand the different between Write Mode policies - write back vs
> >write
> > through but what is suggested for a Raid 5 that holds the DB and log
> > files?

0
fl (20)
1/30/2006 7:56:17 PM
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:57:29 -0800, "Fl"
<Fl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I understand the different between Write Mode policies - write back vs write
>through but what is suggested for a Raid 5 that holds the DB and log files?

Soo not an Exchange issue. What does your card vendor suggest. I would
suggest Write Back would be their answer on this one. It's not
specific to Exchange.

0
mark7219 (5667)
1/30/2006 7:56:24 PM
The vendor (Dell) had no suggestions which I thought was odd.  It was set to
write-through but changed it to write back since the controller has a battery
and write back is supposed to offer better performance.

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:57:29 -0800, "Fl"
> <Fl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I understand the different between Write Mode policies - write back vs write
> >through but what is suggested for a Raid 5 that holds the DB and log files?
>
> Soo not an Exchange issue. What does your card vendor suggest. I would
> suggest Write Back would be their answer on this one. It's not
> specific to Exchange.

0
fl (20)

Exchange 5.5 #39
When moving mailboxes from one server to another they have gone to the C drive despite running the optimiser first. I now only have 6.5mb left on the c drive and I have moved the mailboxes back. However I can not free up any space on the c drive as the optimser will not run correctly. Any ideas? ...

Post 5.5 SP4 . . . .
After having spent most of the day yesterday fighting with SP4 and my Exchange 5.5 server I finally got a clean install and everything seems just peachy. But digging around a little bit I find that there are several issues post SP4 that need to be addressed mostly having to do with MTA, STORE, and IMC. Does anyone know of a "SRP" type post SP4 package? If not, how about a list of "must haves"? Yeah, I know I'm being lazy here but after yesterday I need a break! Thanks much. "BD" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >After having ...

Calendars in Exchange 5.5
Is there any way to give access to all calendars in the site to a specific user? why not use the public calendars? "Travis Callihan" <Ted_Bronson@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7027B690-C0DD-4769-AB64-3E204BBD10E7@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to give access to all calendars in the site to a specific > user? Ask everyone to grant access via their Outlook session. Or, if you want to do it centrally, use a 3rd party app like: http://www.symprex.com/products/fpm/ -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchang...

deleted items #5
Is there a way to retrieve the deleted items after you empty "deleted items" in Office 2000 Outlook? I do not have the "Corporate/workgroup" set-up--just "Internet Mail Only". When you emptied the 'deleted items,' folder there should have been a message asking "Are you sure that you want to Permanently Delete..." Permanently deleting implies there is no way to recover them. >-----Original Message----- >Is there a way to retrieve the deleted items after you >empty "deleted items" in Office 2000 Outlook? I do not &...

Question about upgrading server to RAID 0+1 or SSD
Hi guys, I've got an Proliant ML150 G6 running SBS 2003. It has an Intel Xeon E5502 @ 1.87Ghz (dual proc) with 4GB of RAM. It currently has 2x250GB SATA 7200RPM disks, one of which I was going to use as a software RAID1, but I haven't set it up as I think the performance hit would be unreasonable without a dedicated card. I'm currently having performance problems with the server which I have narrowed down to be the disk. I'm running a few smallish databases on the server, along with exchange, hosting a very low traffic website and BES express. I want to upgrade it ...

How do I project 5 year growth pattern of company?
I'm trying to project the next 5 years of employment growth based on the past 5 years in excel. All templates and formulas are for dollar values. I need plain numbers!!! HELP!! Hi janna not sure what you mean by needing "plain numbers" ... all dollar values are are numbers formatted with a $, if you don't want the $, select the numbers and choose format / cells / number from the menu and then click OK. if this isn't what you're after an example of what you have and what you want typed out in your reply post may help us provide a useful answer. -- Cheers Juli...

RAID 5
Are there any suggestions on which RAID to use Great Plains Dynamics, and SQL server? Our IT is leaning toward RAID 5 for our new SQL server, with 3 72GB drives. All would be the same drive letter. -- Doug Will you be going to 9.0? If so, take a look at the hardware requirements on Customersouce, the RAID depends on you other requirements. "Doug" wrote: > Are there any suggestions on which RAID to use Great Plains Dynamics, and SQL > server? > > Our IT is leaning toward RAID 5 for our new SQL server, with 3 72GB drives. > All would be the same drive le...

Displaying values vs formulas
I'm having another brain-dead moment and I hope someone can resuscitate! I'm putting formulas in various cells on a worksheet and some of them are displaying the results and some are just showing in the cell as the formula. How can I get them all to display results. I swear that all the cells are formatted the same but the displays are different. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help. Gary Vocks The cells displaying the formula itself and not the results are probably formatted as Text. A quick way to find out if this is so, is to select a cell that displays the formula, the...

Stop Exchange 5.5 Alternate Recipient NDRs
I have configured a custom recipient for an external internet e-mail address. I have set the CS as an alternate recipient for my mailbox and set to deliver message to both CS and mailbox. All works perfectly. However, is there a way to suppress NDRs or that are returned by CS? I have many instances where CS mailbox becomes full and message users receive NDRs. Well the message when to my exchange mailbox but didn't go to the cs mailbox. This is fine, but the sender thinks that the message didn't get delivered at all. A big issue. :) All I want is to stop sending NDR reported by ...

New Exchange Tools and ExBPA 2.5!
ExBPA 2.5 Performance Troubleshooting Analyzer Tool v1.0 Disaster Recovery Analyzer Tool 1.0 -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- Forgot the URL... http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/downloads/2003/analyzers/default.mspx -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message news:uid9wLA4FHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > ExBPA 2.5 > Performance Troubl...

Error 0x800ccc0f #5
Outlook 2000/Windows XP. I can receive tho not send even small test emails. I have the latest SPs/updates. I have also tried OE6 and even Netscape7(which seems to send but mails never arrive) with the same results. I have tried several diagnostic packages but none solve the problem. One, a spam blocker, was not able to locate the smtp info. I have checked with my ISP. My settings seem to be correct and there are no extraneous boxes ticked. I am able to send emails from my server. I have now tried all the suggested MS troubleshooting w/o any progress. I have disabled my firewall, even ...

exchange 5.5 #46
Hello, All! I got some troubles with subj. I'm moving mailboxes from old exchange 5.5 to the new exchange 2003 in the new domain. One by one with "Delivery Options"->"Alternate recipient" on exchenge 5.5. And it become hard to find out what bailboxes still remain. How can i find mailboxes _without_ "alternate recipient"? Thanx for any idea! With best regards, Mikhail Oukraintsev. "Mikhail Oukraintsev" <caguk@rambler.ru> wrote: > I got some troubles with subj. I'm moving mailboxes from old exchange >5.5 to the...

post-Exchange Server 5.5 SP4 Information Store fix roll-up
Need help locating the post-Exchange Server 5.5 SP4 Information Store fix roll-up. Does anyone know where I can download it? I need these files: Emsmdb32.dll 5.5.2655.18 Isinteg.exe 5.5.2654.62 Store.exe 5.5.2655.37 Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sean There are several post SP4 patches you may need to review. This will bring up a few extra links not related. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/results.aspx?productID=899CABAF-A55E-402B-AA90-5114BD4C014E&freetext=5.5&DisplayLang=en "Sean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Outlook Crashing #5
I have outlook 2003 on a windows xp Pro box and everytime i go to send an email outlook crashes. I have formatted this machine from scratch 2 times and put just office 2003 on it and it continues to crash everytime i send an email. Any clues. Thanks. ...

RAID / hard drive problems getting worse
Hi -- I have an SBS 2003 SP2 server with four Seagate SATA drives on two mirrored RAID sets. The RAID is provided by an on-board Intel RAID chip; the system is running Intel Matrix Storage drivers and console (v 8.9.0.1023). Several months ago, the system started to fail one of the hard drives (Array_0001, port 2) and mark the RAID set as degraded. The first few times it happened, I just reset the warning and told the RAID controller to mark the drive as normal, and the array rebuilt without issue. But the problem would recur after a week or two. Drive diagnostics never showed any ...

How to add multiple members in DL for Exchange 5.5
Hi, Is there any way to add multiple members in Exchange 5.5 distribution list, instead of selecting one at a time. Thanks! Directory import, available in Exchange administrator tool. Baris. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "San" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:f4a001c43de9$9cabde00$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Is there any way to add multiple members in Exchange 5.5 > distribution list, instead of selecting one at a time. > > Thanks! ...

Please help
Problem: I can't get my Exchange 2000 migration wizard to communicate with an Exchange 5.5 server. Environment: On an "inherited" network, I have a newly built (by me) Win2K SP4 server running AD (only server in AD), and an old Exchange 5.5 server on a separate NT4 SP6a domain (PDC) - on the same subnet. I have removed TCPIP and have reinstalled SPs for Exch and NT4. I have 2-way trusts set up between the domains, and they can browse each other's files. DNS has been set up, and I have forward zones for both of the domains. There is no internal DNS on the NT4 domain....

Exchange 5.5 stores not starting
We have a win2k server, running exchange 5.5, we can't start either the public or private stores - I've run eseutil /mh and output to a text file and the stores are reported as consistent. But when I attempt to start the MS Exchange IS service I get the following error logged in Event viewer: Event id 7024 Microsoft Exchange Information Store terminated with the Service specific error 4294965693 - I've searched on the event id and that error code and so far I can tell its something to do with logging / recovery but I can't find a fix, anyone out there offer any help ? ...

Ex 5.5 mailbox mail deletion
1st timer!!!! I have a number of mailboxes that I would like to delete ALL the mail within the mailbox but do not want to a) Delete the actual mailbox B) Open up outlook on the server or client and select all emails and delete. Is there a tool or command in 5.5 which will delete all the mail in a specified mailbox. Thanks for reading Regards Rob 1. Clean Mailbox from the Tools menu in the admin. 2. Mailbox Manager. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305109 3. Exmerge http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;265441 On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:00:01 -0...

Upgrade Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2000
I have Exchange 5.5 SP3 installed on a NT4 server. The server is also a PDC. I want to keep the old hardware for the Exchange server. I want to migrate Exchange and Windows to 2000. I have a spare box that I thougt I could use as a swing server. The problem is that the RAID card on the spare box is incompatible with Windows 2000 making it impossible to install Windows 2000. I tried to install SBS 2003 RC on the spare box and that works. In-place upgrade seems like a good way as long as I have backups to go back to if anything goes wrong, but I have been thinking about the following too: In...

Exchange Server 5.5 routing issue
We have Windows NT Server 4.0 and run Exchange Server 5.5 on the server to handle all of our inside email and our outside email and everything has been working great until we had to change things around due to the fact that we have sales people going out on the road and needed to find away to have our guys check their email from any internet connection. So we got a plan with Verio and have through them a VPS server, that server is supposed to recieve all of our email and then basically forward it to us here at our home network, then if our sales guys are here they get their mail and...

System Attendant NDR #5
Hello. I recieve this message below. I upgrade our exchange server from 5.5 to 2003 and since then i receive this message. I have a number of pocket pc users in our organization and when they make any calendar changes and sync to the server, they receive the same ammount of NDR's as they made changes in their calendar. A user today made nearly 100 changes on his pocket pc and upon syncing, he recieved almost 100 NDR's. I've been trying to fix this for months with no luck. Someone please, please help. Geordie Glazer Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipi...

runtime vs replication
Hi, I have developed application in A2003 (but dbase format A2000). We have been using this app over a few years and it has used a direct replication method. So far all users have used A2003. Now I would like to spread the app among more users -not all of them has Access licence, so I would need to install a runtime on some machines however what I have read so far it looks like - free runtime versions are available only for A2000 or A2007 - replication will not work in A2007 what would you suggest me? Install runtime A2000 or can I use A2007 runtime and keep BE in A2000 forma...

RAID 0 or RAID 1
We've just purchased a new server which has two identical SATA hard drives. My question is: Should I go with RAID 0 or RAID 1 ? We're using Exchange 2003 Server and have about 500 users. thanks On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:45:04 -0700, "chrism" <chrism@no_spam> wrote: >We've just purchased a new server which has two identical SATA hard drives. > >My question is: > >Should I go with RAID 0 or RAID 1 ? For what? Though RAID 1 is typically your best option ragardless. > >We're using Exchange 2003 Server and have about 500 users. > >th...

5.5 Not Receiving ANY emails
We have Exchange 5.5 SP4 in two sites. NY and Atlanta. The Atlanta site is dependant on he NY one. The NY one was getting flooded with 12 emails per second this morning. This has since halted. They (NY) are getting emails trickling in slowly. We started getting emails trickling in, but with 3 hour latency. Now it seems like we are not getting any emails at all. Internal nor external. I have restarted the server various times, restarted IMS services, and still there is no email coming in or out. There also doesnt seem to be many items in the inbound nor outbound queue... Does any...