RAID 10 still best for DB's?

We run Exchange 2003 Enterprise.  We have 3 Mailbox stores which had 1-2
databases in each and each maiailbox store in on a RAID 10 partition.

We use to have them on RAID 5 at it was very slow sometimes, our average
writes/reads to disk per second were sometimes hitting > 50 msecs. Now on
RAID 10 we sometimes get the odd >30 msecs but many when backups are
running.

We are going to be upgrading our server soon, would RAID 10 be the best way?
Plus we will eventually upgrade this new server to Exchange 2007.

0
no3012 (142)

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:00:11 +0100, "Gonzo" <no@no.com> wrote:

>We run Exchange 2003 Enterprise.  We have 3 Mailbox stores which had 1-2
>databases in each and each maiailbox store in on a RAID 10 partition.
>
>We use to have them on RAID 5 at it was very slow sometimes, our average
>writes/reads to disk per second were sometimes hitting > 50 msecs. Now on
>RAID 10 we sometimes get the odd >30 msecs but many when backups are
>running.
>
>We are going to be upgrading our server soon, would RAID 10 be the best way?
>Plus we will eventually upgrade this new server to Exchange 2007.

Still?
It never necessarily was.

You will not be upgrading that server to 2007. You might be rebuilding
it as a 2007 box but you won't be upgrading it.

The disk configuration is mainly down to your anticipated I/O count
and loading. The RAID is not the first thing you should be looking at,
it's how you spread the I/Os that is important.

Number of disks you have at your disposal is key to spreading th I/O
so if you can share that with us it would be good.

Also the read/writes is dependent on how many stores you choose to
have. in the new environment. RAID5 isn't good, RAID1 is better and
then RAID0+1 is better still in some circumstances.

That's DAS. Are you puttting this on a SAN because the answers are
radically different again.

0
mark7219 (5666)
4/13/2007 7:30:51 AM
Well a SAN is highly likely, recommend by DELL and HP

> On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:00:11 +0100, "Gonzo" <no@no.com> wrote:
>
>>We run Exchange 2003 Enterprise.  We have 3 Mailbox stores which had 1-2
>>databases in each and each maiailbox store in on a RAID 10 partition.
>>
>>We use to have them on RAID 5 at it was very slow sometimes, our average
>>writes/reads to disk per second were sometimes hitting > 50 msecs. Now on
>>RAID 10 we sometimes get the odd >30 msecs but many when backups are
>>running.
>>
>>We are going to be upgrading our server soon, would RAID 10 be the best
>>way?
>>Plus we will eventually upgrade this new server to Exchange 2007.
>>
> Still?
> It never necessarily was.
>
> You will not be upgrading that server to 2007. You might be rebuilding
> it as a 2007 box but you won't be upgrading it.
>
> The disk configuration is mainly down to your anticipated I/O count
> and loading. The RAID is not the first thing you should be looking at,
> it's how you spread the I/Os that is important.
>
> Number of disks you have at your disposal is key to spreading th I/O
> so if you can share that with us it would be good.
>
> Also the read/writes is dependent on how many stores you choose to
> have. in the new environment. RAID5 isn't good, RAID1 is better and
> then RAID0+1 is better still in some circumstances.
>
> That's DAS. Are you puttting this on a SAN because the answers are
> radically different again.

0
no3012 (142)

Wizards not showing up 10-10-07
When I added a command button or a subform to a form in Access 2003, I used to get wizards that nicely walked me through all the steps I needed to use them, including actions for an added command button. Now they no longer appear. Can anyone help me get them back. There's a button that looks like a little magic wand that needs to be in the down position for the wizards to work. If you are on 2000-2003 it is on the tool bar just down, or to the right (depending on where you docked your tool bar) from the ARROW CURSOR button. -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator U...

Help #10
I have asked for help twice and have recieved a reply twice. Both times I am unable to see the text. I am directed to click a link to read the reply. it opens a blank window. Please respond using my hotmail address OABenedict@Hotmail.com. Then I should be able to see the text. My origional question is: How do i set the default paper feed to auto when using Publisher 2007? Thank you OAB Bear wrote: > I have asked for help twice and have recieved a reply twice. Both > times I am unable to see the text. I am directed to click a link to > read the reply. it opens a blank wi...

Outlook 2003 04-12-10
I have posted this before but nobody answered and it just happened again now. All of the sudden, my deleted sent items came back! I usually keep the last 2-3 days worth, but now I have 408! going back to January! On top of that, my Outbox is stuck, I am getting Send/Receive errors left and right. Any help will be appreciated. Running XP Home. Thank you. "brickman" <brickman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:27D792C6-A92F-41AF-9BE2-487EBBC6C5B2@microsoft.com... >I have posted this before but nobody answered and it just happened again now. &g...

Save DB query results as XML file
I am trying to query a SQL Server database, retrieve the results as XML, and save them to a file. I was trying to use the SqlXmlCommand, SqlXmlCommandType.XPath and an xsd to query the database, and load the results into a XmlTextReader. This works fine. But then I get stuck. I don't want to DO anything with the data besides putting it into a file. Should I be loading the results into a stream, instead? Then load the stream into a string, to an XmlDocument, then .Save(...)? Or might a XmlTextWriter have a role in here somewhere? Can anyone give me a hint on how I should appr...

Question about upgrading server to RAID 0+1 or SSD
Hi guys, I've got an Proliant ML150 G6 running SBS 2003. It has an Intel Xeon E5502 @ 1.87Ghz (dual proc) with 4GB of RAM. It currently has 2x250GB SATA 7200RPM disks, one of which I was going to use as a software RAID1, but I haven't set it up as I think the performance hit would be unreasonable without a dedicated card. I'm currently having performance problems with the server which I have narrowed down to be the disk. I'm running a few smallish databases on the server, along with exchange, hosting a very low traffic website and BES express. I want to upgrade it ...

How do I insert best quality Access report into Publisher?
I am creating a booklet in Publisher 2003. I have many Access reports that I want to include as part of the Publisher booklet. I have tried creating a PDF and selecting and some other methods but the quality is not nearly as good when copied and pasted into Publisher. Any ideas on how to take an Access report and copy/paste or insert into Publisher where there is very high quality? Thanks Right-click the report in Access, export, save as .rtf or .txt. In Publisher, create a text box, right-click, click change text, click text file, browse to the report. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mv...

RAID 5
Are there any suggestions on which RAID to use Great Plains Dynamics, and SQL server? Our IT is leaning toward RAID 5 for our new SQL server, with 3 72GB drives. All would be the same drive letter. -- Doug Will you be going to 9.0? If so, take a look at the hardware requirements on Customersouce, the RAID depends on you other requirements. "Doug" wrote: > Are there any suggestions on which RAID to use Great Plains Dynamics, and SQL > server? > > Our IT is leaning toward RAID 5 for our new SQL server, with 3 72GB drives. > All would be the same drive le...

Best SQL Backup Solution.
Hello All, New to the forum and look forward to getting and giving help. I am in the process of researching some sql backup solutions. Few thing I was looking for was; Object level restoration, High Compression, Centralized Management and lastly fast backup and restoration. I have found three solution that meet these needs. I would like your thoughts on them. Have you used any of them, recommend, dont recommend, etc. Or is there something esle that you recommend? They are listed below: 1. Litespeed SQL Backup 2. Idera SQL Safe 3. Redgate SQL Backup Pro Any input is appreciated. M...

Form Help 04-15-10
Hi All, I have a combo box to choose the Project Number (these are text format since they alpha numeric) and I would like to automatically fill in the Project Name in for use in a print report. I am using Access 2007. Any help with an embedded macro would be great. Thanks, Brian, This is actually two questions... form vs report. And no need for any code. **Form: Just add the ProjectName column to your combo box in the second column. ProjectNumber ProjectName Bind the combo control to the ProjectNumber field (you probably already do t...

Help with complex query 02-19-10
Hello, I have a Routing query which show all seq of step to complete the part. Another query that show production WIP status. I want to be able to tie them together so that I can show current orders in each seq of the Routing. I tried, tried, but couldn't come up with a way to do this. Any help is appreciated. Here is the sample data. Routing query/table: Part Seq Area Mach ABC 10 Drill 2020 ABC 20 Turn 1060 ABC 30 Inspect ABC 40 Ship ABC 50 Complete ProductionWIP query/table: Part Seq Area Mach Order Qty ABC 10 Drill 2020 111200 1 ABC 10 Drill 2020 111201 2 A...

www.mscrmsupport.net 10-14-03
Hello.. Just wanted to invite anyone that is interested in a new crm discussion board to www.mscrmsupport.net .. it is a non profit dedicated board.. It has been up for about a month.. sort of a asp.net pet project of mine.. but feel free to drop by.. Again.. www.mscrmsupport.net regards.. like I said on yahoo, the site is down and I think its not configured right......... I can't even get a DNS call off it.......and I tried this from work and home (not this should matter). Try using some portal to verify that the site is up..........a cheap way is to use some translator, like the...

Excel Jululian 04-28-10
Good morning please help can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS) regrads yes george, if thats what you want to do. RegMigrant "George A. Jululian" wrote: > Good morning > > please help > > can i create an index sheet for all my excels files (XLS) > > regrads oh, go on then two ways - build an excel macro what gets the information from windows so can (kind of) keep itself up to date. I am guessing you have no macro background so i offer the much cheaper way:- got to Start, run type "cmd" wi...

installing outlook 04-25-10
I have just installed Mictosoft Office standard 2007 it works fine other than outlook I cannot get outlook to open---as it tells me "Microsoft Exchange in unavailable" I have then three options retry/work off line/cancel the Exchange Server settings my work (university of Washington) gave me do not work and the other two options result in the computer closing. What do I do now? On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:46:01 -0700, pjdunbar <pjdunbar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have just installed Mictosoft Office standard 2007 it works fine other than > outlo...

OWA Problem #10
I have lost the OWA site from IIS. Can't now login to exchenge remotely. Need some help on how to reinstall the Exchange site in IIS. Thanks "lost the OWA site"? Can you provide more detail, please? What version of Exchange server? What happens when you access http://servername/exchange? William Marcus wrote: > I have lost the OWA site from IIS. Can't now login to exchenge remotely. > Need some help on how to reinstall the Exchange site in IIS. > > Thanks > > ...

GP 10 Web Service
I have installed GP WebService on Windows 2003 server. GP,SQL and web service all is on one machine. Web Service installation completed successfully. and I am able to view webservice in browser. but when I try to see policy in Dynamics Security Console, I am getting error which says that "Client found response of type 'html' but expected 'xml'". When I try to use workflow Compnay combo is showing empty, and it Cannot retrieve the company from the service. I think that as WebService gives error while retrieving policy there is some problem with that and Workflo...

Blocked IP's still coming through
I blocked IP's of spammers in ExMgr | ... | Protocols | Default SMTP | Properties | Access | add IP's to be blocked | apply/ok out. Spam is still coming from the blocked IP's. Did I miss a step? What is the Apply Filter check box in the same area ... Protocols | Default SMTP | Properties | General Tab | Advanced | highlight current server | Edit | Apply Filter checkbox ? -- rhh On Tue, 7 Nov 2006 05:45:02 -0800, Robert H <RobertH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I blocked IP's of spammers in ExMgr | ... | Protocols | Default SMTP | >Properties | Access...

RAID / hard drive problems getting worse
Hi -- I have an SBS 2003 SP2 server with four Seagate SATA drives on two mirrored RAID sets. The RAID is provided by an on-board Intel RAID chip; the system is running Intel Matrix Storage drivers and console (v 8.9.0.1023). Several months ago, the system started to fail one of the hard drives (Array_0001, port 2) and mark the RAID set as degraded. The first few times it happened, I just reset the warning and told the RAID controller to mark the drive as normal, and the array rebuilt without issue. But the problem would recur after a week or two. Drive diagnostics never showed any ...

If or formula 06-03-10
Trying to create a formula that will do the following: If a1="1", then vlookup ...........or if A1="2" then vlookup...... Not enough information. Vlookup what? Where would this formula be entered? Let's say for example we had Gord in B1 In C1 we enter =3DIF(A1=3D1,VLOOKUP(B1,table,colndx,false),"not equal = 1") Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 19:19:31 -0700, Susan = <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Trying to create a formula that will do the following: > >If a1=3D"1", then v...

Macro-enable Workbook 03-30-10
In Excel 2007, I saved my workbook as 'Macro-enabled Workbook' file type. The icon that appears for this file then will be the normal Excel icon plus the 'exclamation mark' sign in yellow on top of it. Is this normal? Any problem for other people to open this file on their computer? I appreciate your kind advice. Thanks. Salza The exclamation mark is normal.............alerts user to filetype. Opening on another computer will depend upon their security settings. These can be accessed through Button>Excel Options>Trust Center. Gord Dibben MS Exc...

VLookup 05-27-10
I have a workbook with two worksheets. On the first - it has the following columns: Inv # Employee Fees Paid on the second worksheet i have the following: Inv # Employee Fees Billed Hrs Billed I want to be able to pull the information from the 2nd worksheet onto the first one. I know how to do vertical lookups but in this case, I need two. I need the system to first look for the invoice # and then look for the employee. Once it sees those two matches, i want it to populate the fees billed and hours billed. Is this possible? Thanks! I almos...

outlook problem #10
i created a new message but minimised ot before sending later i tried to close the message window but was unable to close it. Also the system wont shut down unless i close all applications. Please note my OS is Win XP. Please help me as this message is recurring.. Thank you MPax. ...

mail 08-01-10
bout time! for what? Dave N. MS-MVP (Mail) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 http://download.live.com/wlmail "ma55comm" wrote in message news:eni6a5aMLHA.1868@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... bout time! ...

Xml Serialization 01-19-10
Hello, I have this class(Someone elses code): public class SerializableDictionary<TKey, TValue> : Dictionary<TKey, TValue>, IXmlSerializable .................... The class creates an object that resembles a Generic Dictionary and now I want to convert it to one (Generic Dictionary) Do I have to loop through the keys and values and add them to mine? Or is there an easier way? Thanks * coder316 wrote, On 19-1-2010 18:14: > Hello, > I have this class(Someone elses code): > public class SerializableDictionary<TKey, TValue> > > : Dicti...

still loosing first line indents
i am loosing my first line indents in Pub 2003. same thing happened in 02 but i hoped it would go away when i upgraded. nope! this only happens on the right side of the graphic, left side of the text box. when i place a graphic overlapping a text box the text all justifies left with no first line indent. i have tried all combinations of text wrap and nada. happens if i use my standard text format or format from scratch. i have to go to every paragraph that butts up against a graphic on its right side and manually place the indent. it takes several tries and print proofs to get it right ...

RAID 0 or RAID 1
We've just purchased a new server which has two identical SATA hard drives. My question is: Should I go with RAID 0 or RAID 1 ? We're using Exchange 2003 Server and have about 500 users. thanks On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 15:45:04 -0700, "chrism" <chrism@no_spam> wrote: >We've just purchased a new server which has two identical SATA hard drives. > >My question is: > >Should I go with RAID 0 or RAID 1 ? For what? Though RAID 1 is typically your best option ragardless. > >We're using Exchange 2003 Server and have about 500 users. > >th...