Questions about Exchange Calendar Update Tool

I posted a similar post over at the exchangeteam blog, but thought I'd
put one out here as well.  We're running Exchange 2003 SP2 on a 2 node
cluster running Server 2003 SP1.  We have a mix of users that use
Outlook on XP, Outlook Web Access users, and Mac users that use
Entourage.  Entourage interfaces with Exchange via OWA so I cound them
as OWA users.  Most of the clients have been patched for Daylight
savings time, but we have yet to update the OS's for the Exchange
cluster or Exchange itself.  I've been working with the Calendar
Update Tool in a test environment and have come up with a few
questions:

1.) What exactly is the Time Zone Extraction process doing?  At first,
I thought it was extracting the DN's of mailboxes that require
updating (i.e. they have calendar events that are incorrect) but I've
since come to suspect that it isn't that smart and that all it's doing
is creating a list of ALL the recipient DN's on the exchange server,
and while it's at it, it tries to provide time zone information for
each user...IF it can find it.  That sound about right?
When I run the tool against our Exchange server with roughly 2000
mailboxes/users, I end up with 93 entries in the output file.  These
entries ALSO show up in the error file with an error of
Unable find mailbox timezone: Error 0x80004005
Yet, that user is listed in Output with the correct timezone...??  The
rest of the users are in the Error file with an error of Unable to log
on user mailbox.  It is being run by a new domain user with View-Only
Exchange Administrator rights.

2.)My other question is about re-sending of meeting requests.  What
triggers this?  I've run the tool a few times in my test environment,
against meetings that have attendees, but never saw any extra meeting
requests.  I admit, though, that I *could* have missed them or thought
they were the original meeting request.  Still, it would be good to
know how this is triggered so we can know how best to forewarn our
users.

An addition.  From looking at the log, it appears that the 93 that got
put into the output file (and the error file with unable find
timezone) are the FIRST 93 mailboxes to be processed.  After that,
every mailbox processed says "unable log on".  So it's not a random
bit where it has a bunch of unable log on, then a no timezone, then
more log on, then a few timezone.  It's no timezone for the first 93
entries and then it switches to no log on for all the rest....

On Mar 5, 10:51 am, "Aaron" <Aaron.Sm...@kzoo.edu> wrote:
> I posted a similar post over at the exchangeteam blog, but thought I'd
> put one out here as well.  We're running Exchange 2003 SP2 on a 2 node
> cluster running Server 2003 SP1.  We have a mix of users that use
> Outlook on XP, Outlook Web Access users, and Mac users that use
> Entourage.  Entourage interfaces with Exchange via OWA so I cound them
> as OWA users.  Most of the clients have been patched for Daylight
> savings time, but we have yet to update the OS's for the Exchange
> cluster or Exchange itself.  I've been working with the Calendar
> Update Tool in a test environment and have come up with a few
> questions:
>
> 1.) What exactly is the Time Zone Extraction process doing?  At first,
> I thought it was extracting the DN's of mailboxes that require
> updating (i.e. they have calendar events that are incorrect) but I've
> since come to suspect that it isn't that smart and that all it's doing
> is creating a list of ALL the recipient DN's on the exchange server,
> and while it's at it, it tries to provide time zone information for
> each user...IF it can find it.  That sound about right?
> When I run the tool against our Exchange server with roughly 2000
> mailboxes/users, I end up with 93 entries in the output file.  These
> entries ALSO show up in the error file with an error of
> Unable find mailbox timezone: Error 0x80004005
> Yet, that user is listed in Output with the correct timezone...??  The
> rest of the users are in the Error file with an error of Unable to log
> on user mailbox.  It is being run by a new domain user with View-Only
> Exchange Administrator rights.
>
> 2.)My other question is about re-sending of meeting requests.  What
> triggers this?  I've run the tool a few times in my test environment,
> against meetings that have attendees, but never saw any extra meeting
> requests.  I admit, though, that I *could* have missed them or thought
> they were the original meeting request.  Still, it would be good to
> know how this is triggered so we can know how best to forewarn our
> users.

- About the latter: if there's a meeting on your Calendar that you don't
organize, you cannot change it. It can be changed by the meeting organizer.
When the tool is run against the meeting organizer's mailbox, the meeting
gets updated, and each updated meeting will require that all invitees be
updated as well. This is done automatically, unless the tool is used with
the /FORCEREBASESUPPRESSALLUPDATES or /FORCEREBASESUPPRESSEXCHANGEUPDATES
option.

--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

"Aaron" <Aaron.Smith@kzoo.edu> wrote in message
>I posted a similar post over at the exchangeteam blog, but thought I'd
> put one out here as well.  We're running Exchange 2003 SP2 on a 2 node
> cluster running Server 2003 SP1.  We have a mix of users that use
> Outlook on XP, Outlook Web Access users, and Mac users that use
> Entourage.  Entourage interfaces with Exchange via OWA so I cound them
> as OWA users.  Most of the clients have been patched for Daylight
> savings time, but we have yet to update the OS's for the Exchange
> cluster or Exchange itself.  I've been working with the Calendar
> Update Tool in a test environment and have come up with a few
> questions:
>
> 1.) What exactly is the Time Zone Extraction process doing?  At first,
> I thought it was extracting the DN's of mailboxes that require
> updating (i.e. they have calendar events that are incorrect) but I've
> since come to suspect that it isn't that smart and that all it's doing
> is creating a list of ALL the recipient DN's on the exchange server,
> and while it's at it, it tries to provide time zone information for
> each user...IF it can find it.  That sound about right?
> When I run the tool against our Exchange server with roughly 2000
> mailboxes/users, I end up with 93 entries in the output file.  These
> entries ALSO show up in the error file with an error of
> Unable find mailbox timezone: Error 0x80004005
> Yet, that user is listed in Output with the correct timezone...??  The
> rest of the users are in the Error file with an error of Unable to log
> on user mailbox.  It is being run by a new domain user with View-Only
> Exchange Administrator rights.
>
> 2.)My other question is about re-sending of meeting requests.  What
> triggers this?  I've run the tool a few times in my test environment,
> against meetings that have attendees, but never saw any extra meeting
> requests.  I admit, though, that I *could* have missed them or thought
> they were the original meeting request.  Still, it would be good to
> know how this is triggered so we can know how best to forewarn our
> users.

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
3/5/2007 4:09:15 PM
Are you running v2.0 of the Exchange Calendar Update Tool and does that
computer have the patched Outlook Calendar Update Tool?

--

> An addition.  From looking at the log, it appears that the 93 that got
> put into the output file (and the error file with unable find
> timezone) are the FIRST 93 mailboxes to be processed.  After that,
> every mailbox processed says "unable log on".  So it's not a random
> bit where it has a bunch of unable log on, then a no timezone, then
> more log on, then a few timezone.  It's no timezone for the first 93
> entries and then it switches to no log on for all the rest....
>

> On Mar 5, 10:51 am, "Aaron" <Aaron.Sm...@kzoo.edu> wrote:
>> I posted a similar post over at the exchangeteam blog, but thought I'd
>> put one out here as well.  We're running Exchange 2003 SP2 on a 2 node
>> cluster running Server 2003 SP1.  We have a mix of users that use
>> Outlook on XP, Outlook Web Access users, and Mac users that use
>> Entourage.  Entourage interfaces with Exchange via OWA so I cound them
>> as OWA users.  Most of the clients have been patched for Daylight
>> savings time, but we have yet to update the OS's for the Exchange
>> cluster or Exchange itself.  I've been working with the Calendar
>> Update Tool in a test environment and have come up with a few
>> questions:
>>
>> 1.) What exactly is the Time Zone Extraction process doing?  At first,
>> I thought it was extracting the DN's of mailboxes that require
>> updating (i.e. they have calendar events that are incorrect) but I've
>> since come to suspect that it isn't that smart and that all it's doing
>> is creating a list of ALL the recipient DN's on the exchange server,
>> and while it's at it, it tries to provide time zone information for
>> each user...IF it can find it.  That sound about right?
>> When I run the tool against our Exchange server with roughly 2000
>> mailboxes/users, I end up with 93 entries in the output file.  These
>> entries ALSO show up in the error file with an error of
>> Unable find mailbox timezone: Error 0x80004005
>> Yet, that user is listed in Output with the correct timezone...??  The
>> rest of the users are in the Error file with an error of Unable to log
>> on user mailbox.  It is being run by a new domain user with View-Only
>> Exchange Administrator rights.
>>
>> 2.)My other question is about re-sending of meeting requests.  What
>> triggers this?  I've run the tool a few times in my test environment,
>> against meetings that have attendees, but never saw any extra meeting
>> requests.  I admit, though, that I *could* have missed them or thought
>> they were the original meeting request.  Still, it would be good to
>> know how this is triggered so we can know how best to forewarn our
>> users.

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
3/5/2007 4:10:05 PM
I'm running whatever version is on the Virtual Machine provided by
Microsoft for this purpose.  I applied the recent hotfix for the
Outlook Calendar tool (KB933146).  Is there a way to tell what version
of the calendar update tool is in use?

On Mar 5, 11:10 am, "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" <bharatsun...@no.spam.org>
wrote:
> [...]
> >> mailboxes/users, I end up with 93 entries in the output file.  These
> >> entries ALSO show up in the error file with an error of
> >> Unable find mailbox timezone: Error 0x80004005
> >> Yet, that user is listed in Output with the correct timezone...??  The
> >> rest of the users are in the Error file with an error of Unable to log
> >> on user mailbox.  It is being run by a new domain user with View-Only
> >> Exchange Administrator rights.
>
> >> 2.)My other question is about re-sending of meeting requests.  What
> >> triggers this?  I've run the tool a few times in my test environment,
> >> against meetings that have attendees, but never saw any extra meeting
> >> requests.  I admit, though, that I *could* have missed them or thought
> >> they were the original meeting request.  Still, it would be good to
> >> know how this is triggered so we can know how best to forewarn our

The virtual machine still has version 1.0 of the Exchange Calendar Update
Tool, afaik.

--

> I'm running whatever version is on the Virtual Machine provided by
> Microsoft for this purpose.  I applied the recent hotfix for the
> Outlook Calendar tool (KB933146).  Is there a way to tell what version
> of the calendar update tool is in use?
>
> On Mar 5, 11:10 am, "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" <bharatsun...@no.spam.org>
> wrote:
>> Are you running v2.0 of the Exchange Calendar Update Tool and does that
>> computer have the patched Outlook Calendar Update Tool?
>>
>> --
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MVP - Exchangewww.zenprise.com
>> NEW blog location:
>> exchangepedia.com/blog
>>
>> "Aaron" <Aaron.Sm...@kzoo.edu> wrote in message

>> > An addition.  From looking at the log, it appears that the 93 that got
>> > put into the output file (and the error file with unable find
>> > timezone) are the FIRST 93 mailboxes to be processed.  After that,
>> > every mailbox processed says "unable log on".  So it's not a random
>> > bit where it has a bunch of unable log on, then a no timezone, then
>> > more log on, then a few timezone.  It's no timezone for the first 93
>> > entries and then it switches to no log on for all the rest....

0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
3/5/2007 6:07:00 PM
Nice.  Very useful.  I tried installing version 2 of the tool on the
virtual machine, but got an error saying I had to uninstall version
1.  So I did that via Add/Remove programs, but it still seemed to
think version 1 was installed.  I then created my own virtual machine
using Windows XP.  I installed Office 2003 (that's what we have here)
and installed the Outlook tzmove package and the Exchange Update
"Tool".  I then tried to apply the patch for tzmove (from KB933146)
and it said patch failed.  I assume because the patch was meant for
Outlook2007 and I have 2003.
I'm about ready to dig out my pitchfork and head to Redmond.

On Mar 6, 11:13 am, "Aaron" <Aaron.Sm...@kzoo.edu> wrote:
> Nice.  Very useful.  I tried installing version 2 of the tool on the
> virtual machine, but got an error saying I had to uninstall version
> 1.  So I did that via Add/Remove programs, but it still seemed to
> think version 1 was installed.  I then created my own virtual machine
> using Windows XP.  I installed Office 2003 (that's what we have here)
> and installed the Outlook tzmove package and the Exchange Update
> "Tool".  I then tried to apply the patch for tzmove (from KB933146)
> and it said patch failed.  I assume because the patch was meant for
> Outlook2007 and I have 2003.
Oh, and I'll add that if I attempt to run MSExTmzCfg.exe, I get a
"Failed to initialize" error.  Am I the only one having so many
difficulties with this tool?

> I'm about ready to dig out my pitchfork and head to Redmond.
>
> On Mar 5, 1:07 pm, "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" <bharatsun...@no.spam.org>
> wrote:
>
> > The virtual machine still has version 1.0 of the Exchange Calendar Update
> > Tool, afaik.
>
> > --
> > Bharat Suneja
> > MVP - Exchangewww.zenprise.com
> > NEW blog location:
> > exchangepedia.com/blog

Ok.  Got version 2 of the tool to run, it needed .NET 2.0 on that
machine.  I no longer have the "unable to log on user mailbox" issue
(except for a few, but spot checking them reveals logical explanations
such as the accounts are disabled or some such).  But every single
user still generates the "Unable find mailbox timezone".  BUT, the
majority of them are put in the Output.txt file (AND the Error.txt)
*with* a timezone listed....

I'd also like to figure out why I can't patch the took with the latest
hotfix so that I can use the /REPORTINGMODE option.

On Mar 6, 2:06 pm, "Aaron" <Aaron.Sm...@kzoo.edu> wrote:
> Ok.  Got version 2 of the tool to run, it needed .NET 2.0 on that
> machine.  I no longer have the "unable to log on user mailbox" issue
> (except for a few, but spot checking them reveals logical explanations
> such as the accounts are disabled or some such).  But every single
> user still generates the "Unable find mailbox timezone".  BUT, the
> majority of them are put in the Output.txt file (AND the Error.txt)
> *with* a timezone listed....
>
> I'd also like to figure out why I can't patch the took with the latest
> hotfix so that I can use the /REPORTINGMODE option.
>
> On Mar 6, 11:13 am, "Aaron" <Aaron.Sm...@kzoo.edu> wrote:
>

> > Nice.  Very useful.  I tried installing version 2 of the tool on the
> > virtual machine, but got an error saying I had to uninstall version
> > 1.  So I did that via Add/Remove programs, but it still seemed to
> > think version 1 was installed.  I then created my own virtual machine
> > using Windows XP.  I installed Office 2003 (that's what we have here)
> > and installed the Outlook tzmove package and the Exchange Update
> > "Tool".  I then tried to apply the patch for tzmove (from KB933146)
> > and it said patch failed.  I assume because the patch was meant for
> > Outlook2007 and I have 2003.
> > I'm about ready to dig out my pitchfork and head to Redmond.
>
> > On Mar 5, 1:07 pm, "Bharat Suneja [MVP]" <bharatsun...@no.spam.org>
> > wrote:
>
> > > The virtual machine still has version 1.0 of the Exchange Calendar Update
> > > Tool, afaik.
>
> > > --
> > > Bharat Suneja
> > > MVP - Exchangewww.zenprise.com
> > > NEW blog location:
> > > exchangepedia.com/blog

Where do I download version 2 of the Exchange Calendar Update Tool?
The Microsoft URL explains about version 2 -
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=930879 - however when I click on
'download' it attempts to download the file 'MsExTmz.msi' stated as
Version 1.  I cleared my cache but I can't find where to download
version 2.  Can someone help?

Vicky

0
vickyg211 (1)

Can I DCPROMO after installing Exchange 2003?
Hi all, I have a Windows 2003 Standard Edition Server installed as DC+DHCP+DNS, and another Windows 2003 Stand. Ed with Exchange 2003 Std. Edition joining as a member of the DC. I am planning to install an ISA Server, and put the Exchange behind the ISA Server. By doing this, the ISA Server documentation recommend me to install the Exchange with its own DC, DNS and DHCP. The question is: 1. can I dcpromo the Exchange Server to DC after the Exchange is installed? 2. What is the best recommendation for deploying Exchange Server on Win2k3 Std. Ed ? Some people said its better to have 2 Exchange S...

download a template excel Calendar into a work sheet?
I asked this question a few days ago and received an answer that I could insert a pop up calendar, this really isn't what I am looking for, I will rephrase and be as specific as possible as what I am asking I created a work book with numerous work sheets. One of those sheets is named "dates" I would like to down load and insert an Excel yearly template calendar from M/S site into that work sheet, and then I can glance at the days and enter info on those dates for 2010 year on those needed days instead of manually entering the needed dates in the cell row & co...

Backup question

The content of my cells (formulas) isn't updated automatically any
Hi, When I enter '=A1' in B1, and I change the value of A1, the content of B1 isn't updated anymore. I think the formulas stopped working after installing Service Pack 2 for Office XP 2003. Is there a way to make my formulas work again? Thanks, christophe Tools/Options/Calculation. Click on the Automatic radio button. In article <779E7BAB-58E9-4907-815B-636CAA20236F@microsoft.com>, Christophe <Christophe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > When I enter '=A1' in B1, and I change the value of A1, the content of B1 > isn't update...

a question and a question

IE8 privacy question

IF AND question

Question about Paste Special

Exchange 5.5 services and exchgadm password
Greetings, I am new to exchange. I am supporting a 25 users office which has exchange 5.5 server. I was trying to start the LDAP protocol and ended up changing the password for exchgadm and exadmin user id under the User Manager on the NT 4.0 server. After I rebooted the server and logged on as administrator none of the exchanger services are starting. Events are indicating the user name and password are incorrect to start exchange. Can someone please help me how to re-start all exchange services. Thanks !! did you see this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us...

'camera tool'
I will be very grateful if someone will let me know exactly how one uses the 'camera tool' that is in Excel Many thanks S> If you want access to it often, then put its icon on the Toolbar. Right-click the toolbar to Customize. In the Commands tab, choose Tool on the left, then scroll down to Camera on the right. Drag it onto toolbar. Click OK. Select the area you want to have captured, then click on the camer icon, and then click where you want the picture. It will automaticall paste the picture, so you can resize, crop, etc. as you would with an picture in Excel. HT -- Mes...

Microsoft Query question

Smart host in Exchange 2003 SMTP frontend
I have one e-mail domain say test.com. The problem is that I need to forward some e-mail addresses to different domain say test1.com (I have 10 such different domains). In my DMZ I have sendmail which is responsible for routing mails to these domains, for example: user1@test.com ->user1@test1.com user2@test.com->user2@test2.com and so on. If address is not in this table it is forwarded to my Exchange infrastructure (which is responsible for test.com). I want to get rid of sendmail and do this routing stuff with exchange smtp front-end. Of course I know how to do this through Exchang...

Automatic switching between the line/arrow tool and the pointer
Up until recently, my OneNote was set up so that whenever I selected the line tool or arrow tool, and drew a line or arrow, OneNote would then automatically switch back to the default pointer so I could go back to typing or resizing objects. It doesn't do that anymore - when I draw a line or arrow, the line/arrow tool stays selected, and I have to go and click the "Type Text or Select Objects" button to go back to the pointer. I must have changed some setting, but I can't work out what or where it is. Can anyone help? -------- Original-Nachricht -------- ...

Question

OWA Question #16

Text Box Question

Modifing Calendar Look
Hi, I wrote a dll in vb.net that calculates a working shift.... I would like to add this function to outlook. Say for instance when the user selects the week or month view they get the date in top of the cell. next to the date I would like to add A./B so it would look like either 2 A/B for month view or 2 A/B Tuesday for week view. Is this possible, if so, How do i do this? Thanks, Brian By the way, I am using Outlook 2007. We have a few 2000 Outlook clients, but upgrading them as we go. Outlook does not expose a way to do this pragmatically and while a really, really, real...

exchange server 2003 routing
I have three locations called A(a.t.com),B(b.t.com),C(c.t.com) and i have ex change server2003 installed on my DC and DC(T.com) is in the same subnet as domain A , A is connected to B through ISDN and to C through DialUP(demand dial). i am able to send emails from A to B and C, but A is not routing emails between C and B i.e am not able to send emails from C to B. all the connectors and de fault and no routing group is present. all configuration is default. please reply to this question.. -- map249 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Posted via http:...

VBA//Oracle Interfacing Question

ActiveX Control Calendars
"It's me again Margaret!" Alright.. You give these people something good and they want more. I have been asked about using a Calendar on a form opposed to a Text Box for date input. Now, the form loads the current date and runs a query that displays in the subform. I was not able to get the subform to work right using the ActiveX controls. I did locate a non-ActiveX control that worked to some extent. I was able to pull up a calendar of sorts but the subform would not update until I hit the refresh button. I am stumped b/c I understand that it makes life easier to ...

401K questions

If / Then Question

ROWCOUNT question

Exmerge Question #7