Question about forwarding mail to a POP3 server

I'm running exchange 2003 on SBS 2003 and have come across a difficult
situation.  Maybe one of you can help.  Our client has the SBS inside
their network and are using Outlook 2003 to interface with the Exchange
server.  They also have a POP3 server that sits out on the 'net.  We
have configured each client with an Exchange mail box as well as access
to their POP3 account.  When Outlook sends and receives it collects from
both the local Exchange server as well as the POP3 boxes.  When a user
sends they use the Exchange server.  Pretty straight forward so far.

The challenge we are encountering is that we need the email sent to a
particular account to not be delivered to the local Exchange mailbox
first, but out to the POP3 box.  I know that we can configure each
client to send and receive with the POP3 account as the default, but
that doesn't solve the problem well enough (it also is prone to being
reset by the server).  Can I configure Exchange to automatically forward
the mail that it receives to a particular mailbox out to the POP3
server?  Is there some other solution here that would be helpful?  I
would love your thoughts.

Jason Hunsberger
0
systems182 (12)

Jason Hunsberger wrote:
> I'm running exchange 2003 on SBS 2003 and have come across a difficult
> situation.  Maybe one of you can help.  Our client has the SBS inside
> their network and are using Outlook 2003 to interface with the
> Exchange server.  They also have a POP3 server that sits out on the
> 'net.  We have configured each client with an Exchange mail box as
> well as access to their POP3 account.  When Outlook sends and
> receives it collects from both the local Exchange server as well as
> the POP3 boxes.  When a user sends they use the Exchange server.
> Pretty straight forward so far.
>
> The challenge we are encountering is that we need the email sent to a
> particular account to not be delivered to the local Exchange mailbox
> first, but out to the POP3 box.  I know that we can configure each
> client to send and receive with the POP3 account as the default, but
> that doesn't solve the problem well enough (it also is prone to being
> reset by the server).  Can I configure Exchange to automatically
> forward the mail that it receives to a particular mailbox out to the
> POP3 server?  Is there some other solution here that would be
> helpful?  I would love your thoughts.
>
> Jason Hunsberger

My advice would be to simplify your setup a lot. Centralize all your mail in
Exchange - don't use POP in Outlook, and if you have a registered domain
name, host your mail directly on the Exchange server.

Then there's only one mail account to deal with, mail flow is much faster,
doesn't require that Outlook be running, users can use OWA, out of office,
etc. - and is a lot easier to administer and troubleshoot.

With regard to the external address - is this on your Internet domain? If
so, you could set up POP access for this user from your Exchange server so
they can pull it down themselves from there.

0
lanwench (7567)
11/18/2004 4:27:12 AM
I know you all are probably busy, but I would love some help on this
issue.  Is what I'm asking not possible?  Is it not clear as to what I
am trying to do?

Jason

Jason Hunsberger wrote:
> I'm running exchange 2003 on SBS 2003 and have come across a difficult
> situation.  Maybe one of you can help.  Our client has the SBS inside
> their network and are using Outlook 2003 to interface with the Exchange
> server.  They also have a POP3 server that sits out on the 'net.  We
> have configured each client with an Exchange mail box as well as access
> to their POP3 account.  When Outlook sends and receives it collects from
> both the local Exchange server as well as the POP3 boxes.  When a user
> sends they use the Exchange server.  Pretty straight forward so far.
>
> The challenge we are encountering is that we need the email sent to a
> particular account to not be delivered to the local Exchange mailbox
> first, but out to the POP3 box.  I know that we can configure each
> client to send and receive with the POP3 account as the default, but
> that doesn't solve the problem well enough (it also is prone to being
> reset by the server).  Can I configure Exchange to automatically forward
> the mail that it receives to a particular mailbox out to the POP3
> server?  Is there some other solution here that would be helpful?  I
> would love your thoughts.
>
> Jason Hunsberger
0
systems182 (12)
11/19/2004 3:21:39 PM
I don't understand what you are asking.  You indicated that you have a POP3
server and an Exchange server.  What I read is that mail from the Internet
goes to your POP3 server, then the clients download it using Outlook.  If
this is not correct, please clarify.  If this is correct, then I don't
understand that problem you are facing, as the POP3 server should be
receiving the e-mail first.

SBS does contain a POP3 connector - are you using that?

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Jason Hunsberger" <systems182@nospam_andersontech.com> wrote in message
>I know you all are probably busy, but I would love some help on this issue.
>Is what I'm asking not possible?  Is it not clear as to what I am trying to
>do?
>
> Jason
>
> Jason Hunsberger wrote:
>> I'm running exchange 2003 on SBS 2003 and have come across a difficult
>> situation.  Maybe one of you can help.  Our client has the SBS inside
>> their network and are using Outlook 2003 to interface with the Exchange
>> server.  They also have a POP3 server that sits out on the 'net.  We have
>> configured each client with an Exchange mail box as well as access to
>> their POP3 account.  When Outlook sends and receives it collects from
>> both the local Exchange server as well as the POP3 boxes.  When a user
>> sends they use the Exchange server.  Pretty straight forward so far.
>>
>> The challenge we are encountering is that we need the email sent to a
>> particular account to not be delivered to the local Exchange mailbox
>> first, but out to the POP3 box.  I know that we can configure each client
>> to send and receive with the POP3 account as the default, but that
>> doesn't solve the problem well enough (it also is prone to being reset by
>> the server).  Can I configure Exchange to automatically forward the mail
>> that it receives to a particular mailbox out to the POP3 server?  Is
>> there some other solution here that would be helpful?  I would love your
>> thoughts.
>>
>> Jason Hunsberger

0
Ben

Haunted Deleted Mail
I use OL2003. When I delete mail and empty the deleted item folder I would expect the items to be gone. I close OL and next time I open OL there are the deleted items ,back in the originating folders !! Weird ! I'm beginning to think my OL is haunted. Jeff "Jeff" <jpy1@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OT0gzjz4FHA.1140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >I use OL2003. > When I delete mail and empty the deleted item folder I would expect the > items to be gone. I close OL and next time I open OL there are the deleted > items ,back in the originating folders !! Weird ! ...

Backup question

E-mail Router Installation
I have not been able to install the exchange e-mail router for crm. I am getting an error that says "cmrExchangeQueueService" could not be installed verify that you have suffecient privilages to install system services. Funny I am logged on as the domain admin and can install any other services I need. Exchange and CRM are on the same box. Any Ideas is worth a million thanks. Chris ...

how SIN, COS and TAN works on sql server
I ran this: declare @f float set @f = 30 select sin(@f) and got -0.988031624092862 What is this? "Roy Goldhammer" <royg@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eRKvnY0#KHA.5476@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I ran this: > > declare @f float > > set @f = 30 > > select sin(@f) > > and got -0.988031624092862 > > What is this? > > The values for SIN, COS, and TAN are in radians, not degrees. You are seeing the value of SIN(30 radians), which is correct. -- Dan "Dan" <news@worldofspack.com...

a question and a question

Question about Paste Special

importing e-mail files from Outlook express
I just switched over from outlook express yesterday, and would now like to import my saved e-mail file folders to WLM. Will they show up in the WLM storage folders area? Will the file folder structure from OE be maintained ? And since OE did not differentiate between inbox and outbox, where will the go ? -- guenters Answered inline.. -- ...winston ms-mvp mail "guenters" <guenters@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E746AC3E-CD7B-48F9-B7CB-415F51E5907E@microsoft.com... > I just switched over from outlook express yesterday, and would now...

IE8 privacy question

IF AND question

Microsoft Query question

Question

OWA Question #16

exchange server 2003 routing
I have three locations called A(a.t.com),B(b.t.com),C(c.t.com) and i have ex change server2003 installed on my DC and DC(T.com) is in the same subnet as domain A , A is connected to B through ISDN and to C through DialUP(demand dial). i am able to send emails from A to B and C, but A is not routing emails between C and B i.e am not able to send emails from C to B. all the connectors and de fault and no routing group is present. all configuration is default. please reply to this question.. -- map249 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Posted via http:...

VBA//Oracle Interfacing Question

Best Practice for Automatically Inserting a Confidentiality Statement on Outgoing Mail
What is the best practice for including a statement of confidentiality on all outgoing mail? Using the signature feature or using a mail template? If you have Exchange server, the following article will help: http://www.slipstick.com/dev/sendform.htm If not, try this article instead: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/sig.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:9CE75C34-C810-49DA-8B06-26B50CB1003F@microsoft.com, VBG wrote: > What is the ...

Text Box Question

Mail stuck in Outbox
Hello, We just installed the Outlook CRM client, and immediately, emails that are tracked in CRM are getting stuck in the Outbox. We've tried to drag the emails back to the Drafts box, and then open them and resend them, but they still get stuck in the Outbox. What can I try? We're running CRM 3.0 on a SBS2003 box. Thank you! Chester Have you installed and configured CRM e-mail router? What is the CRM Email configuration for that user for outbound email? How long have you waited since clicking send? "Ethernetguru" <chester.hull@gmail.com> wrote in message news:4...

401K questions

trouble connecting to server
I hope someone can help me. I use Outlook 2000 as my e-mail program. After my computer "wakes up" from standby mode, I can't send or retrieve e-mail. When I try, I get an error message that Outlook was unable to connect to the server. I don't have this problem with other programs--for example, Internet Explorer has no trouble connecting after the computer wakes up. I'm confused! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. You can e-mail me at dtg11@cableone.net. Thanks. ...

If / Then Question

ROWCOUNT question

multiple e-mail accounts in outlook express
Just went to cable high speed, and using outlook express for mail, have 2 mail accounts, one for me and one for my wife, however I get e-mail from both names, and am unable to receive mail on my wife's account only and my account only, is there something I have messed up on user settings? In article <03bc01c3c59c$7fd8f1c0$a101280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... |Just went to cable high speed, and using outlook express |for mail, have 2 mail accounts, one for me and one for my |wife, however I get e-mail from both names, and am unable |to receive mail o...

Exmerge Question #7

question about "delete"
I have a pointer: MyWindowClass *p = NULL; p = new MyClass(...); .... delete p; After delete p, does p equal NULL(it is in C++ standard?)? How to decide if p has been deleted? The reason I asked this question is that in my project, there are many code/files use the pointer which I need to determine is it is deleted? Can I use: if(p != NULL) delete p; I guess somewhere p has been deleted, but p still not NULL(possible?), the above code might cause problem. Hi Kathy, I typically just set p to NULL when I delete it: delete p; p = NULL; Then you can check it in other places and ...