Question about 5.5 and 2k3 and IMC

We have been slowly migrating users from 5.5 to 2k3 and everything is
working great. I noticed today that when 2k3 mailboxes send SMTP mail, it
routes it to 5.5 and then 5.5 sends it outbound. I deleted the IMC on the
5.5 server and now the users on 2k3 send mail directly from the server, but
the 5.5 users now cannot send SMTP mail. I created a connector on the 2k3
and this seems to have solved the problem. Is this the right way to go?
Thanks.

Noel Haydon MCSE MCDBA CNE
0
nhaydon (3)

Noel Haydon <nhaydon@earthlink.net> wrote in

> We have been slowly migrating users from 5.5 to 2k3 and everything is
> working great. I noticed today that when 2k3 mailboxes send SMTP mail,
> it routes it to 5.5 and then 5.5 sends it outbound. I deleted the IMC
> on the 5.5 server and now the users on 2k3 send mail directly from the
> server, but the 5.5 users now cannot send SMTP mail. I created a
> connector on the 2k3 and this seems to have solved the problem. Is
> this the right way to go?

Yes, this should be the correct way to go.

Regards,

--
Arlo Clizer
Exchange MVP

--
Nick Cavalancia
MCSE/MCT/MCNE/MCNI
"Noel Haydon" <nhaydon@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> We have been slowly migrating users from 5.5 to 2k3 and everything is
> working great. I noticed today that when 2k3 mailboxes send SMTP mail, it
> routes it to 5.5 and then 5.5 sends it outbound. I deleted the IMC on the
> 5.5 server and now the users on 2k3 send mail directly from the server,
but
> the 5.5 users now cannot send SMTP mail. I created a connector on the 2k3
> and this seems to have solved the problem. Is this the right way to go?
> Thanks.
>
> Noel Haydon MCSE MCDBA CNE

0
nickc1 (118)
2/26/2004 2:30:29 PM
Oh, and once you've completely migrated to E2K3, you will not need the SMTP
connector - SMTP is E2K3 primary transport protocol.

--
Nick Cavalancia
MCSE/MCT/MCNE/MCNI
nickc@remove-comsphere.com
Comsphere - "Where Knowledge Transfer is Key"
Web: http://www.comsphere.com
Ph: 954.275.0114
Fax: 954.791.6763
"Noel Haydon" <nhaydon@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> We have been slowly migrating users from 5.5 to 2k3 and everything is
> working great. I noticed today that when 2k3 mailboxes send SMTP mail, it
> routes it to 5.5 and then 5.5 sends it outbound. I deleted the IMC on the
> 5.5 server and now the users on 2k3 send mail directly from the server,
but
> the 5.5 users now cannot send SMTP mail. I created a connector on the 2k3
> and this seems to have solved the problem. Is this the right way to go?
> Thanks.
>
> Noel Haydon MCSE MCDBA CNE

0
nickc1 (118)

Backup question

Crystal reports #5
Bought Crystal reports 8.5 recently. Made defintion files to load the selection field of the CR report when used in Microsoft Headquarters. When I select a field after starting up a CR 8.5 report in Headquarters and try to generate the report I get an error message with no description, so can't track down what the problem is. The standard CR 7.0 reports that come with Store Operation Manager work in Headquarters. I tried to save a new developed CR 8.5 report into an 7.0 version but get an error message that the database is working in a CR 8.0 version and is not able to save it. Tri...

Delay delivery Exch 5.5 & Outlook XP
hello, i have a problem with delaying delivery in outlook xp ind combination with an exch 5.5. under options i can say "Delay delivery" if i set this option the mail is in the outbox, but stays there for ever nothing happens! it is not send at the specified time, even i leave outlook open. i read this has something to do with the cache mode! has an exchange 5.5 also a cache mode? and if yes, where can i change this? thanks fpr helping patrick P. Fischer wrote: > hello, > > i have a problem with delaying delivery in outlook xp ind combination > with an exch 5.5. u...

a question and a question

can't send attachments #5
Using Outlook 2000 at a small biz, 7 PCs. E-mails w/o attachments go just fine, but with attachments, they won't go thru; we get a time-out message. These are small Word docs, mostly one-page letters. We have checked everything; cut out the firewall; plugged right into the router, nothing helps. From Starbucks (Wi-Fi) or home (cable modem) Outlook works just fine, and sends attachs like normal. Help, anyone ??? ...

IF AND question

IE8 privacy question

Question about Paste Special

Question

Error messages #5
The following two error messages occur when I try to get mail or send mail. How can I correct the problem. Any assistanc e would be greatly appreciated. #1.The host 'smtp' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'Microsoft Mail server', Server: 'smtp', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D #2.The host 'pop3' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'Microsoft Mail server', Server: 'pop3...

Microsoft Query question

Exchange 5.5 services and exchgadm password
Greetings, I am new to exchange. I am supporting a 25 users office which has exchange 5.5 server. I was trying to start the LDAP protocol and ended up changing the password for exchgadm and exadmin user id under the User Manager on the NT 4.0 server. After I rebooted the server and logged on as administrator none of the exchanger services are starting. Events are indicating the user name and password are incorrect to start exchange. Can someone please help me how to re-start all exchange services. Thanks !! did you see this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us...

CRichEditCtrl #5
When adding a CRichEditCtrl member to a CScrollView class, then creating the control <code> m_DrawRTF.Create(WS_BORDER | ES_MULTILINE | WS_VSCROLL, rcPos, this, 2233); <code> Then streamin some rich text into the control. What function displays this text into the CScrollView class? For instance this code below displays the text in a message box, what function will display text in the CSrollView class <code> // Perform the streaming GetRichEditCtrl().StreamOut(SF_RTF,es); // Show you the first 500 chars of rich codes MessageBox(sReadText.Mid(0,500)); <code> ...

OWA Question #16

VBA//Oracle Interfacing Question

Text Box Question

401K questions

If / Then Question

ROWCOUNT question

Trying to configure Xchng 2K3 to relay shared SMTP address....HELP!
All, In trying to setup up a list server (Lyris) behind our Exchange 2K3 server to share same address space (domain.com), I have configured the default recipient policy to be non-authoritative for (@domain.com) and authoritative for (@local). I then created an additional higher priority recipient policy and set (@domain.com) as primary and left (@local) as secondary. As noted in Article 321721: Because Exchange is now non-authoritative for the domain, when Exchange cannot find a matching address in AD, it tries to find an external path to that namespace, FIRST by looking for a connector, an...

Exmerge Question #7

question about "delete"
I have a pointer: MyWindowClass *p = NULL; p = new MyClass(...); .... delete p; After delete p, does p equal NULL(it is in C++ standard?)? How to decide if p has been deleted? The reason I asked this question is that in my project, there are many code/files use the pointer which I need to determine is it is deleted? Can I use: if(p != NULL) delete p; I guess somewhere p has been deleted, but p still not NULL(possible?), the above code might cause problem. Hi Kathy, I typically just set p to NULL when I delete it: delete p; p = NULL; Then you can check it in other places and ...

More combining companies questions
We too have acquired another company and need to look at all of our options concerning what to do with email. We run Exchange 2003, they run Exchange 2000. What is the best way to combine the two so we can share GAL, free-busy info, etc.? No decisions have been made as far as what we are going to do with their AD. We could of course change their MX record to point to our server, update our RUS, etc., but what if we want to keep an Exchange server at their site? What has to be done to join their server to our Exchange org? If you want sync both GAL,pls check this http://www.microso...

5.5 to 2003 migration
Reading the threads suggest to me that provided I perform a standard move mailbox from (a single) 5.5 server to (a single storage group) on a 2003 server, single-instance storage will be maintained. Have I understood this correctly? Any other factors to consider? Our SIS on 5.5 is 13:1 - I couldn't believe it! Obviously we are concerned of the potential for a very large blowout in store size. Many thanks for your assisance. -- Peter SIS will be maintained moving all the mailboxes from a single store to the same destination store using the move mailbox wizard. Note however that the ...