Public Folder Propagate Settings question

In reading through the Exchange documentation on public folder
replication and public folder moving to other servers in the site,
there is a reference to going to the public folder top level, and
clicking on "propagate settings".

What it doesn't clarify is, if you have already established MAPI
permissions on some sub-folders, and have already established NTFS
security settings on some other sub-folders,  will these permissions
be overwritten with the propagated top level values?

I want to replicate all my public folders to another server in the
site without having to enable replication on each sub-folder, but I
fear this "propagate settings" option will also propagate security?
How does it work?

Thanks!

This is on Exchange 2000 Standard Edition running on Windows Server
2000 standard by the way....
Propogate settings for permissions will overwrtie all the permissions on the
child folder. And I could't get this"already established NTFS
security settings on some other sub-folders". Does that mean you are using
Non-Canonical NTSD permissions to grant access to PF's?? This is not
supported and is capable of screwing the permissions

"Insert 25�" <vretnaDontSpamMe@netzero.net> wrote in message
> This is on Exchange 2000 Standard Edition running on Windows Server
> 2000 standard by the way....

Insert 25� <vretnaDontSpamMe@netzero.net> wrote:

>In reading through the Exchange documentation on public folder
>replication and public folder moving to other servers in the site,
>there is a reference to going to the public folder top level, and
>clicking on "propagate settings".
>
>What it doesn't clarify is, if you have already established MAPI
>permissions on some sub-folders, and have already established NTFS
>security settings on some other sub-folders,  will these permissions
>be overwritten with the propagated top level values?

Yes.

>I want to replicate all my public folders to another server in the
>site without having to enable replication on each sub-folder, but I
>fear this "propagate settings" option will also propagate security?

Use the PFMIGRATE tool on the E2K3 CD.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 05:26:41 +0530, "Anupam" <anupam_a63@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Propogate settings for permissions will overwrtie all the permissions on the
>child folder. And I could't get this"already established NTFS
>security settings on some other sub-folders". Does that mean you are using
>Non-Canonical NTSD permissions to grant access to PF's?? This is not
>supported and is capable of screwing the permissions
>

>"Insert 25�" <vretnaDontSpamMe@netzero.net> wrote in message
>> This is on Exchange 2000 Standard Edition running on Windows Server
>> 2000 standard by the way....

Thank you, I'll check out pfmigrate.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:37:19 -0400, "Rich Matheisen [MVP]"
<richnews@rmcons.com.NOSPAM.COM> wrote:

>Insert 25� <vretnaDontSpamMe@netzero.net> wrote:
>
>>In reading through the Exchange documentation on public folder
>>replication and public folder moving to other servers in the site,
>>there is a reference to going to the public folder top level, and
>>clicking on "propagate settings".
>>
>>What it doesn't clarify is, if you have already established MAPI
>>permissions on some sub-folders, and have already established NTFS
>>security settings on some other sub-folders,  will these permissions
>>be overwritten with the propagated top level values?
>
>Yes.
>
>>I want to replicate all my public folders to another server in the
>>site without having to enable replication on each sub-folder, but I
>>fear this "propagate settings" option will also propagate security?
>
>Use the PFMIGRATE tool on the E2K3 CD.

Homing Child public folder
Child Public Folder Appears Incorrectly on an Exchange Server. Our root folder is homed in Asia. My impression was when creating a child folder it creates on the server you reside on. It then replicates to the Public Folder then gets Re-homed to what every the parent folder is. This is not happening. Has anybody seen this before? ...

Settings for font etc
Hi Everyone, new to this group. I use Outlook at work and I have set a signature etc for email. I have the setting Always Use my Fonts checked but I have notice that when I forward and reply on some emails it is changing my message to Plain Text, I can physically click on HTML while in the message but it doesn't seem to alter the signature etc to HTML. I have no problems with new email I am creating. Can anyone tell me what is going on here and how I rectify it. Tried everything!!! -- Lynn Please remove spamtrap if replying via email Outlook replies and forwards in the same format ...

Resumes CV's / Top Interview Questions / References / Informational Site
RESUMEWRITERSGUIDE.COM is a website is designed for you to learn how to write a resume on your own. Hiring someone to do a resume is not enough learn how to do it on your own. If you do hire someone to help you write a resume this will help you guide the resume writer to put in the correct information for you to increase your chances on getting a job. People do need resume templates and resume samples as a base to get started on their resumes, but this information that I have on my site will help you fill in the resume / CV templates or resume / CV samples with the best information to present...

Package Deployment Registry Modification Question
I have an Access 2007 database that I want to deploy using the Runtime. When I launch the Package Deployment wizard, I know how to do most of the stuff. There are a couple of questions that have come up however. 1. When I specify the Root Install Folder as the System Drive (All Users), and the Install subfolder as Program Files\MicroVuParser, the Example Install location says C:\Program Files\MicroVuParser\MicroVuParser.accdr, which is where I want it to go. However, later in the wizard, it says; "The destination install subfolder name cannot contain any of the followin...

Graphing Question #3
Greetings! I am trying to graph a set of data in 'XY (Scatter)' and am running into a problem I've never seen before. There are only seven values for 'X' - numbers 0 through 6. 'Y' is a set of percentages ranging from '0.00%' to '13.00%' I have about 7,000 of these pairs. When I graph this, I am not of seeing the six discreet bands of percentages that I would expect. For some reason, instead of graphing the 'X' value, it is graphing the order that the 'Y' value comes in the list. Instead of graphing: RATING INCREASE 4 ...

Why won't my 2 publication pages switch to 2-pg view as asked?
This is a brand new publication. It only has two pages to it. There is hardly any content and NO web links. But when I use the VIEW drop down menu and click that very first option saying "Two-page spread", Microsoft Publisher does absolutely NOTHING! No, not in print view ... i'm saying "nothing". Yes, I've restarted my computer... all that. Also, in the master page view many of the options are totally greyed-out. Why doesn't microsoft just fix its software instead of adding new inefficient ones? You must have three or more pages to see a two-page ...

Problems Setting Delegate Permissions
I'm getting the following error message with Outlook 2003 and Exchange Server 2003. Does anyone know how to repair this? This occurs everytime I try to set Delegates for a user, or any user for that matter. I get to the point where I have assigned a user the permissions and when I click OK, I get the following: Microsoft Office Outlook The Delegates settings were not saved correctly. Unable to activate send-on-behalf-of list. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. Thanks for your help, Can you explain how your AD environment is setup. Singl...

Userform question #3
Is it possible? instead of having the x disabled on a userform to have it fire up a userform instead? Thanks Greg Look at QUeryCloser in help for a form. -- HTH Bob Phillips "Greg B" <laptopgb@ihug.com.au> wrote in message news:d6242c$31e$1@lust.ihug.co.nz... > Is it possible? > > instead of having the x disabled on a userform to have it fire up a userform > instead? > > Thanks > > Greg > > ...

email publications
I have a 4 page newletter that I want to email in the body of the email but only 1 page comes thru. I have pub 2003. Any ideas You can't do it the way you want to. I have a page that will tell you how to do it but it's not something I'd rally want to do. We normally suggest converting the newsletter to a .pdf and attach that to the email. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "sunnyatrodeph" <sunnyatrodeph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:880FF3CD-FF2F-4839-A23E-A71F964602C5...

Can you open a publisher 2003 publication in publisher 2000?
Can you open a publisher 2003 document in a publisher 2000 program? No -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Shaz" <Shaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6732D11-AD6F-4209-891A-CB05BD87ECC3@microsoft.com... > Can you open a publisher 2003 document in a publisher 2000 program? ...

Setting a non-standard default meeting length?
First, I'm aware of how to change default meeting length as done in the following: http://www.lockergnome.com/it/2009/10/29/change-the-default-appointment-interval-in-outlook/ That is not what I want. I want to set my default meeting length to 50 minutes, but still only have 1 meeting/hour. That way I have a little time between meetings to prepare for the next meeting and maybe even get a little real work done. Ideally there would be a built in way to do this since add ons are frowned upon by my IT group. Thanks! It's not possible, short of making two appoint...

No access to Public Folder
Hello There, I have a funky problem regarding Public Folders on a Exchange 2003 Standard. Although I see the Public Folders in Outlook I do not have the rights to add anything. I have set all the rights in Exchange System Manager, but still don't have access. Then I checked with ADSI Edit and found an entry for Public Folder but without an Entry for "Class". Also in the Exchange System Manager under Folders I do not see a "Public Folders" bu cannot creat one, because it is already there (so the warning I get). Does anyone of you have an idea? Thanks and Best Regards Dan...

My deleted emails don't stay in my Deleted Items folder.
If I read an email from my inbox then delete it that email doesn't appear in my "Deleted Items" folder. They seem to automatically purge. If I delete an email that has not been opened then that unread email does show up in my "Deleted Items" folder. I can do a right-click find on the "Deleted Items" folder and it appears to find emails but I'm not sure. I need to reset something so all my emails stay in the "Deleted Items" folder until I choose to purge them. The only thing I have done in the last couple of weeks is to compact m...

Attaching emails from different folders
I am able to attach emails to a new email within a folder I created (clicking on each mail I want to attach, and right click "forward as attachment"). I am trying to figure out how I can attach different emails from within different email folders to a new email. I am using Outlook Express 6. Thanks ...

show new mails in public folder
hello, our public folder dosen't show new mails like in the inbox. I want to see if a new message receive, where can I adjust this. thank's for answeres. best regards Christain In news:DBD8EFB5-F0CA-4705-B9C1-854040BA514E@microsoft.com, Christian Weihs <ChristianWeihs@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > hello, > > our public folder dosen't show new mails like in the inbox. I want to > see if a new message receive, where can I adjust this. > > thank's for answeres. > > best regards > Christain What version of Outlook are you using? If yo...

Mailbox displayed twice in folder view?
Running Outlook 2003 and I have my mailbox displayed twice under folder view. What can I do to have it displayed only once? TIA ...

Unable to copy other's Contacts folder
To All, User A delegated and granted me full permission to access his Contacts list. My permission level is Owner. I can do anything but copy the whole "Contacts folder" to my mailbox. It says no permission. Anyway that I can copy other's Contacts folder into my mailbox. THanks Calvin Can you copy individual items? If so, create a new folder and copy the contacts to it - use By Category view to make it easier to see all of the contacts. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart...

RMS license transfer question
I have a client who has decided to close their doors. I am not an MBS partner, so I am not very familiar with the licensing. What I need to determine is whether or not they can sell the license to another organization. I know that some EULAs state that the license is not transferrable, but I have not read the RMS EULA, so I'm hoping someone else has.... This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0616_01C6F885.CE65BA70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Allen, It's not transferable. The EULA i...

personal folders for multiple emails
There is a feature that I was willing to see in 2003 version, but I think it's not there yet. If i have multiple emails outlook will put all massages to a personal folder so my Inbox gets crowded. Can I have a personal folder for each email. I know i can do that using filters for each folder but i don't think this is a proper way for doing it. Please let me know if that is possible. You can create rules to move messages based on the account over which they were received. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Ahmad Yahya" <gt21124@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4...

Unable to view public folders
We are currently running Microsoft Exchange 2000. I am currently attempting to create public folders and point a designated email address at them. I am creating each folder via a terminal logged on as Administrator. When I go to the Exchanger manager to view the public folder:- > Administrative Groups > 1st Adminastrive Groups > Public Folders The following message appears:- Enter Network Password Username Password The username field is already populated with the following information:- domanin\user When i attempt to enter the password the message reappears. Hope t...

Safe way to exchange Users folder to another HD
Hi all, windows 7 pro x64 in a tiny SSD (C: with OS)(30 Gb) another normal HD (E: with data)(500 Gb). is there any safe way to move all C:\users to e.g. E:\Users and not having a pain in the a... with problems of: "not found", "impossible to add new users", etc. could be fine a step by step guide of how to do it, and thing that not has to be done. Thanks, Corsair. Corsair wrote: > windows 7 pro x64 in a tiny SSD (C: with OS)(30 Gb) another normal > HD (E: with data)(500 Gb). > > is there any safe way to move all C:\users to e.g. E:\U...

Drop down list question
Please can anyone help me with this query? When I came to make a drop down list for data entry in a cell, I used the method: Select cell>Menu Bar>Data>Validation>Allow:List>Source:Yes,No,Undecided. When I went to the origial workbook I was using for an example and go to: Select cell>Menu Bar>Data>Validation>Allow:List>Source: The source field shows: =Choices. The only cell in the 3 sheet example workbook showing the entry: Choices, is the heading of the column where the drop down "Yes,No,Undecided" cells are located. There is no text defining the Yes,...

Outlook 2007 inbox settings question
Hi I am using outlook 2007 & have changed from Pop to Imap Each time I open Outlook it opens the old Pop in-box instead of the Imap in-box. How do I make it open the Imap in-box by default? -- Martin ���� ...

Shared folders
Why are others able to select locked cells, in a shared folder? I have protected this worksheet and have set it so others could only select unlocked cells. ...

Public Folder Directory Rights
In a haste I think I removed all directory rights to a branch of my public folders. Now when I try to click directory rights button in the permissions tab within the properties of that folder in Exchange administrator I get "Unable to read security rights form the directory". I also remember inheritant rights prior. Anyone know how I can correct this so that I can fix the PF structure? -- SS I meant to say "I also removed inheritant rights earlier" -- SS "Steven" wrote: > In a haste I think I removed all directory rights to a branch of my public >...