Public Folder Permissions - Root Level

Can I use an AD Security group to set permissions on the entire Public Folder?
(exchange 2003)
I want to ensure my Admin group can delete any public folder from within
outlook.
I know I can do this from the system manager.  But is there a way I can set
outlook Client permissions on all folders without having to touch each folder?

And if I can do step one above, Can I have these permission apply to any new
public folder created via outlook?

Thank you
0
adam1685 (340)

Yes.  It must be a mail-enabled universal security group.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

"Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can I use an AD Security group to set permissions on the entire Public
> Folder?
> (exchange 2003)
> I want to ensure my Admin group can delete any public folder from within
> outlook.
> I know I can do this from the system manager.  But is there a way I can
> set
> outlook Client permissions on all folders without having to touch each
> folder?
>
> And if I can do step one above, Can I have these permission apply to any
> new
> public folder created via outlook?
>
> Thank you

0
curspice6401 (3487)
10/13/2006 4:35:36 AM
I do have it mail enabled, Created Exchange account... andI made sure its
Universal.

maybe I am in the wrong section.
I go to Exchange System manager.
Admin Groups\First Admin Group\Folders\Public Folders.
I get properties on that.  And Set Secutrity to full control to my new group.
But is seems I can only gain full control if I set each folder's Client
permissions to Owner for that group.
Can the "Security" permissions at the "Public Folders" level propagate down
to the Client level for each folder under the Public Fodler Root?

All my Public Fodlers live in the root.  That may be my issue.
I think I should create Parent Folders in the root  and re-arange my pub
folders accodingly.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks,

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> Yes.  It must be a mail-enabled universal security group.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can I use an AD Security group to set permissions on the entire Public
> > Folder?
> > (exchange 2003)
> > I want to ensure my Admin group can delete any public folder from within
> > outlook.
> > I know I can do this from the system manager.  But is there a way I can
> > set
> > outlook Client permissions on all folders without having to touch each
> > folder?
> >
> > And if I can do step one above, Can I have these permission apply to any
> > new
> > public folder created via outlook?
> >
> > Thank you

0
adam1685 (340)
10/13/2006 1:29:01 PM
> All my Public Fodlers live in the root.  That may be my issue.
> I think I should create Parent Folders in the root  and re-arange my pub
> folders accodingly.
>
> Am I understanding this correctly?

Not a problem, you can use pfdavadmin to propagate from the root
"public folder" virtual directory. The procedures are a bit different
than say if you were working with a real folder preferably a parent
folder, but it can still be done.

Microsoft Exchange Server Public Folder DAV-based Administration Tool
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=635BE792-D8AD-49E3-ADA4-E2422C0AB424&displaylang=en

James Chong

Adam wrote:
> I do have it mail enabled, Created Exchange account... andI made sure its
> Universal.
>
> maybe I am in the wrong section.
> I go to Exchange System manager.
> Admin Groups\First Admin Group\Folders\Public Folders.
> I get properties on that.  And Set Secutrity to full control to my new group.
> But is seems I can only gain full control if I set each folder's Client
> permissions to Owner for that group.
> Can the "Security" permissions at the "Public Folders" level propagate down
> to the Client level for each folder under the Public Fodler Root?
>
> All my Public Fodlers live in the root.  That may be my issue.
> I think I should create Parent Folders in the root  and re-arange my pub
> folders accodingly.
>
> Am I understanding this correctly?
>
> Thanks,
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Yes.  It must be a mail-enabled universal security group.
> > --
> > Ed Crowley
> > MVP - Exchange
> > "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >
> > "Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Can I use an AD Security group to set permissions on the entire Public
> > > Folder?
> > > (exchange 2003)
> > > I want to ensure my Admin group can delete any public folder from within
> > > outlook.
> > > I know I can do this from the system manager.  But is there a way I can
> > > set
> > > outlook Client permissions on all folders without having to touch each
> > > folder?
> > >
> > > And if I can do step one above, Can I have these permission apply to any
> > > new
> > > public folder created via outlook?
> > >
> > > Thank you

0
jamestechman (1268)
10/13/2006 10:08:40 PM
As far as I know, you need to start your propagation at each root level
public folder, not the "Public Folders" object.
--

>I do have it mail enabled, Created Exchange account... andI made sure its
> Universal.
>
> maybe I am in the wrong section.
> I go to Exchange System manager.
> Admin Groups\First Admin Group\Folders\Public Folders.
> I get properties on that.  And Set Secutrity to full control to my new
> group.
> But is seems I can only gain full control if I set each folder's Client
> permissions to Owner for that group.
> Can the "Security" permissions at the "Public Folders" level propagate
> down
> to the Client level for each folder under the Public Fodler Root?
>
> All my Public Fodlers live in the root.  That may be my issue.
> I think I should create Parent Folders in the root  and re-arange my pub
> folders accodingly.
>
> Am I understanding this correctly?
>
> Thanks,
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Yes.  It must be a mail-enabled universal security group.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Can I use an AD Security group to set permissions on the entire Public
>> > Folder?
>> > (exchange 2003)
>> > I want to ensure my Admin group can delete any public folder from
>> > within
>> > outlook.
>> > I know I can do this from the system manager.  But is there a way I can
>> > set
>> > outlook Client permissions on all folders without having to touch each
>> > folder?
>> >
>> > And if I can do step one above, Can I have these permission apply to
>> > any
>> > new
>> > public folder created via outlook?
>> >
>> > Thank you

0
curspice6401 (3487)
10/14/2006 5:16:08 AM
You can do this by performing a custom bulk operation at the "public
folder" virtual directory using pfdavadmin. Ran into similar
environment in which the org had many top level root folders instead of
a single one.

1. Start pfdavadmin.
2. Highlight the "publid folder" virtual directory at the root.
3. Tools menu, custom bulk operation.
4. Operations, click add, folder permissions, click ok
5. Click select button, ok, add, choose username, search ok
6. Click ok about 3 more times

James Chong

Ed Crowley [MVP] wrote:
> As far as I know, you need to start your propagation at each root level
> public folder, not the "Public Folders" object.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I do have it mail enabled, Created Exchange account... andI made sure its
> > Universal.
> >
> > maybe I am in the wrong section.
> > I go to Exchange System manager.
> > Admin Groups\First Admin Group\Folders\Public Folders.
> > I get properties on that.  And Set Secutrity to full control to my new
> > group.
> > But is seems I can only gain full control if I set each folder's Client
> > permissions to Owner for that group.
> > Can the "Security" permissions at the "Public Folders" level propagate
> > down
> > to the Client level for each folder under the Public Fodler Root?
> >
> > All my Public Fodlers live in the root.  That may be my issue.
> > I think I should create Parent Folders in the root  and re-arange my pub
> > folders accodingly.
> >
> > Am I understanding this correctly?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes.  It must be a mail-enabled universal security group.
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
jamestechman (1268)

Homing Child public folder
Child Public Folder Appears Incorrectly on an Exchange Server. Our root folder is homed in Asia. My impression was when creating a child folder it creates on the server you reside on. It then replicates to the Public Folder then gets Re-homed to what every the parent folder is. This is not happening. Has anybody seen this before? ...

2 level group per report
Hi, I have a report that needs to be grouped in 2 level, per country and per province/state. My problem is I need to see data on the first page of the first level group (country) and the first page of the second level group (province). I have tried many combination of forcing new page on both level but I cannot keep the group header of the province with the data when the province change, meaning I see data in Canada, Alberta and on the same page, I will see the group header of the next province when it is time to change on the same page. which I cannot see If I force new page on the p...

More discount levels in RMS
I want to set up some customers at cost plus 15%, 10% etc. I cannot do that with the current Customer discounts. I tried using Price B as a cost plus - but that means every new item needs to have the price level B created when it is entered into the system. Need to add this feature or is there a way already to do this within version 2.0? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this ...

Problems Setting Delegate Permissions
I'm getting the following error message with Outlook 2003 and Exchange Server 2003. Does anyone know how to repair this? This occurs everytime I try to set Delegates for a user, or any user for that matter. I get to the point where I have assigned a user the permissions and when I click OK, I get the following: Microsoft Office Outlook The Delegates settings were not saved correctly. Unable to activate send-on-behalf-of list. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. Thanks for your help, Can you explain how your AD environment is setup. Singl...

email publications
I have a 4 page newletter that I want to email in the body of the email but only 1 page comes thru. I have pub 2003. Any ideas You can't do it the way you want to. I have a page that will tell you how to do it but it's not something I'd rally want to do. We normally suggest converting the newsletter to a .pdf and attach that to the email. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "sunnyatrodeph" <sunnyatrodeph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:880FF3CD-FF2F-4839-A23E-A71F964602C5...

Why won't my 2 publication pages switch to 2-pg view as asked?
This is a brand new publication. It only has two pages to it. There is hardly any content and NO web links. But when I use the VIEW drop down menu and click that very first option saying "Two-page spread", Microsoft Publisher does absolutely NOTHING! No, not in print view ... i'm saying "nothing". Yes, I've restarted my computer... all that. Also, in the master page view many of the options are totally greyed-out. Why doesn't microsoft just fix its software instead of adding new inefficient ones? You must have three or more pages to see a two-page ...

Can you open a publisher 2003 publication in publisher 2000?
Can you open a publisher 2003 document in a publisher 2000 program? No -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Shaz" <Shaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6732D11-AD6F-4209-891A-CB05BD87ECC3@microsoft.com... > Can you open a publisher 2003 document in a publisher 2000 program? ...

No access to Public Folder
Hello There, I have a funky problem regarding Public Folders on a Exchange 2003 Standard. Although I see the Public Folders in Outlook I do not have the rights to add anything. I have set all the rights in Exchange System Manager, but still don't have access. Then I checked with ADSI Edit and found an entry for Public Folder but without an Entry for "Class". Also in the Exchange System Manager under Folders I do not see a "Public Folders" bu cannot creat one, because it is already there (so the warning I get). Does anyone of you have an idea? Thanks and Best Regards Dan...

My deleted emails don't stay in my Deleted Items folder.
If I read an email from my inbox then delete it that email doesn't appear in my "Deleted Items" folder. They seem to automatically purge. If I delete an email that has not been opened then that unread email does show up in my "Deleted Items" folder. I can do a right-click find on the "Deleted Items" folder and it appears to find emails but I'm not sure. I need to reset something so all my emails stay in the "Deleted Items" folder until I choose to purge them. The only thing I have done in the last couple of weeks is to compact m...

Mailbox displayed twice in folder view?
Running Outlook 2003 and I have my mailbox displayed twice under folder view. What can I do to have it displayed only once? TIA ...

show new mails in public folder
hello, our public folder dosen't show new mails like in the inbox. I want to see if a new message receive, where can I adjust this. thank's for answeres. best regards Christain In news:DBD8EFB5-F0CA-4705-B9C1-854040BA514E@microsoft.com, Christian Weihs <ChristianWeihs@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > hello, > > our public folder dosen't show new mails like in the inbox. I want to > see if a new message receive, where can I adjust this. > > thank's for answeres. > > best regards > Christain What version of Outlook are you using? If yo...

Attaching emails from different folders
I am able to attach emails to a new email within a folder I created (clicking on each mail I want to attach, and right click "forward as attachment"). I am trying to figure out how I can attach different emails from within different email folders to a new email. I am using Outlook Express 6. Thanks ...

Unable to copy other's Contacts folder
To All, User A delegated and granted me full permission to access his Contacts list. My permission level is Owner. I can do anything but copy the whole "Contacts folder" to my mailbox. It says no permission. Anyway that I can copy other's Contacts folder into my mailbox. THanks Calvin Can you copy individual items? If so, create a new folder and copy the contacts to it - use By Category view to make it easier to see all of the contacts. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart...

personal folders for multiple emails
There is a feature that I was willing to see in 2003 version, but I think it's not there yet. If i have multiple emails outlook will put all massages to a personal folder so my Inbox gets crowded. Can I have a personal folder for each email. I know i can do that using filters for each folder but i don't think this is a proper way for doing it. Please let me know if that is possible. You can create rules to move messages based on the account over which they were received. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Ahmad Yahya" <gt21124@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4...

How to add Menu and Toolbar Items at GP Main Window level
All, How can I add items to Main Menu and Main Toolbar in GP, and hook em up to events so I could launch a .NET Form created in VS. This is not about form level menu (which could be done using GP->Modifier), rather at the GP Level. Also, related to the same idea, how can I add a tab on top of other tabs in Left Panel (Inventory, Purchasing, Financials etc...) so I could launch a new application. Thanks -- MRT Check out the Dexterity Integration guide (IG.PDF), about page 165 for details on Commands and Menus. AFAIK, you'll have to write Dex code to make this happen. With r...

Safe way to exchange Users folder to another HD
Hi all, windows 7 pro x64 in a tiny SSD (C: with OS)(30 Gb) another normal HD (E: with data)(500 Gb). is there any safe way to move all C:\users to e.g. E:\Users and not having a pain in the a... with problems of: "not found", "impossible to add new users", etc. could be fine a step by step guide of how to do it, and thing that not has to be done. Thanks, Corsair. Corsair wrote: > windows 7 pro x64 in a tiny SSD (C: with OS)(30 Gb) another normal > HD (E: with data)(500 Gb). > > is there any safe way to move all C:\users to e.g. E:\U...

Unable to view public folders
We are currently running Microsoft Exchange 2000. I am currently attempting to create public folders and point a designated email address at them. I am creating each folder via a terminal logged on as Administrator. When I go to the Exchanger manager to view the public folder:- > Administrative Groups > 1st Adminastrive Groups > Public Folders The following message appears:- Enter Network Password Username Password The username field is already populated with the following information:- domanin\user When i attempt to enter the password the message reappears. Hope t...

Shared folders
Why are others able to select locked cells, in a shared folder? I have protected this worksheet and have set it so others could only select unlocked cells. ...

How to copy documents using links from excel to web folder
Hi All, We have a web application containing documents and each document has its own link. An excel sheet is having all document names and their links as separate columns. Now, the requirement is to copy all the documents using their links from excel to a particular folder in the web application. I would like to know what all are the possible solutions of this requirement? Or any vbscript is available to do this task? Many Thanks, Atiya. ...

Public Folder Directory Rights
In a haste I think I removed all directory rights to a branch of my public folders. Now when I try to click directory rights button in the permissions tab within the properties of that folder in Exchange administrator I get "Unable to read security rights form the directory". I also remember inheritant rights prior. Anyone know how I can correct this so that I can fix the PF structure? -- SS I meant to say "I also removed inheritant rights earlier" -- SS "Steven" wrote: > In a haste I think I removed all directory rights to a branch of my public >...

Permissions Tab Missing
Just had to do a complete reinstall of Exchange 5.5. All went smooth, and everything is working as expected. However, I just noticed that on the mailbox properties box in the Exchange Administrator, the Permissions tab is missing. Any help out there would be great. Thank you. In Exchange Admin go to Tools, Options, clikc the Permissions tab. Place a check both next to "Show Permissions page for all objects". "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:de8c01c43c12$39de14b0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Just had to do a complete reinstall of E...

Opening a closed Archive folder
I am running outlook 2007. I right mouse clicked and closed one of my archive folders. Does anyone know if closing the outlook PST erases it? I went back to try and open it and I can not locate that PST file any longer, are my files lost? Outlook doesn't erase the file. Click File/Open and select the file. if you can't find it, use the Windows Explorer search and look for any *.pst file. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook : Outlook Categories? Category Manager Is Your Tool : VBOffice Reporter for Data Analysis & Reporting : <http://www....

Public Folder
Hello, I have created a Public Folder with a Task View as my MIS Help Desk for my internal users. Occassionally the Task Item will disappear. I DO NOT know why it disappears, can you help me with this? Also, the users only fill in the Subject line and sometimes additional information in the body of the Task. That's all. Very puzzle!? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...

Permissions #5
Hi folks! I made a very stupid thing today. I changed the Security properties on the "All Contacts" address-list and added "everyone" with deny on everything (with the intention that no one should have the ability to use it). Now (for obvious reasons) I can't edit the address-list in any way. How can I reset the permissions on the address-list? /Jon "Jon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I made a very stupid thing today. I changed the Security >properties on the "All Contacts" address-list and >added "e...

over written folder full of work
Hi, Some how I have had a folder overwritten that has sub folders and documents in them. The folder was from an old backup and it has overwritten my most up to date work with all the 6 month work. Now, there is nothing in the folder on my C drive that is newer than 6 months and all the recent document links now don't work. CanI recover/restore my work to the latest versions? The short quick sweet answer is NO. If you haven't kept any backups then tough luck and take this as a learning process for the future. However, there are specialist out there who are NOT ...