Public Folder permissions for Groups/DL's and Native mode.

Running Exch2003 SP2 in Win2003.

I've got problems assigning permissions to public folders using 
groups/distribution lists. I get an error the permissions cannot be saved. 
Using individual users however does work. At first I thought this was due to 
the fact the we were still running Exchange in mixed-mode. That's also what 
the event log tips me about.

I switched to Native Exchange mode since I don't need pre-Exchange2000 
servers, but the error is still there. I rebooted all Exchange servers.

My active-dir is still in mixed-mode, but I'm pretty sure I read that the to 
modes are seperate. You don't need to have a native 2000/2003 Active Dir to 
run Exchange in Native Exchange mode.

What am I missing ?

Grtz
Rwillkomm@ortec.nl


0
rwillkomm (28)
4/3/2006 2:54:48 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 1 followers. Follow

4 Replies
295 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 40

Distribution Groups are not security principals and cannot be added to ACLs.
Use a Security Group instead.
-- 
Bharat Suneja
MCSE, MCT
www.zenprise.com
blog: www.suneja.com/blog
-----------------------------------------


"RW" <rwillkomm@ortec.nl> wrote in message 
news:44313721$0$21583$e4fe514c@dreader12.news.xs4all.nl...
> Running Exch2003 SP2 in Win2003.
>
> I've got problems assigning permissions to public folders using 
> groups/distribution lists. I get an error the permissions cannot be saved. 
> Using individual users however does work. At first I thought this was due 
> to the fact the we were still running Exchange in mixed-mode. That's also 
> what the event log tips me about.
>
> I switched to Native Exchange mode since I don't need pre-Exchange2000 
> servers, but the error is still there. I rebooted all Exchange servers.
>
> My active-dir is still in mixed-mode, but I'm pretty sure I read that the 
> to modes are seperate. You don't need to have a native 2000/2003 Active 
> Dir to run Exchange in Native Exchange mode.
>
> What am I missing ?
>
> Grtz
> Rwillkomm@ortec.nl
>
> 


0
bharatsuneja1 (3145)
4/3/2006 3:02:21 PM
Right.   Although it's worth noting that if you *try* to add a regular 
Distribution Group to PF permissions, Exchange will dutifully try to change 
it to a mail-enabled security group, but that change isn't always 
successful.  The best solution is to modify the group type yourself, then 
add it to the PF permissions.

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne
Read my blog!
http://winzenz.blogspot.com
http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)


"Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message 
news:ufV%23i%23yVGHA.4976@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Distribution Groups are not security principals and cannot be added to 
> ACLs.
> Use a Security Group instead.
> -- 
> Bharat Suneja
> MCSE, MCT
> www.zenprise.com
> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
> -----------------------------------------
>
>
> "RW" <rwillkomm@ortec.nl> wrote in message 
> news:44313721$0$21583$e4fe514c@dreader12.news.xs4all.nl...
>> Running Exch2003 SP2 in Win2003.
>>
>> I've got problems assigning permissions to public folders using 
>> groups/distribution lists. I get an error the permissions cannot be 
>> saved. Using individual users however does work. At first I thought this 
>> was due to the fact the we were still running Exchange in mixed-mode. 
>> That's also what the event log tips me about.
>>
>> I switched to Native Exchange mode since I don't need pre-Exchange2000 
>> servers, but the error is still there. I rebooted all Exchange servers.
>>
>> My active-dir is still in mixed-mode, but I'm pretty sure I read that the 
>> to modes are seperate. You don't need to have a native 2000/2003 Active 
>> Dir to run Exchange in Native Exchange mode.
>>
>> What am I missing ?
>>
>> Grtz
>> Rwillkomm@ortec.nl
>>
>>
>
> 


0
Ben
4/3/2006 3:24:09 PM
Ok, so far I can follow. By holding down CTRL and clicking client 
permissions I'm able to ACL permissions groups instead of DL's.
But my users cannot do that. They only have Outlook.

Why would I want my users to fiddle with ACL you might ask ? Isn't that an 
IT task ? This is largely true. But lotsa times users also need to ACL. For 
instance when sharing their calendar. Now they have to add a whole bunch of 
users since they cannot use a DL (anonymous and default are to rough). And 
when a new employee comes in, everyone has to update their ACL's.

This wasn't the case in 5.5.

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote 
in message news:OT7ioKzVGHA.812@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Right.   Although it's worth noting that if you *try* to add a regular 
> Distribution Group to PF permissions, Exchange will dutifully try to 
> change it to a mail-enabled security group, but that change isn't always 
> successful.  The best solution is to modify the group type yourself, then 
> add it to the PF permissions.
>
> -- 
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
> MessageOne
> Read my blog!
> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>
>
> "Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message 
> news:ufV%23i%23yVGHA.4976@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>> Distribution Groups are not security principals and cannot be added to 
>> ACLs.
>> Use a Security Group instead.
>> -- 
>> Bharat Suneja
>> MCSE, MCT
>> www.zenprise.com
>> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>> -----------------------------------------
>>
>>
>> "RW" <rwillkomm@ortec.nl> wrote in message 
>> news:44313721$0$21583$e4fe514c@dreader12.news.xs4all.nl...
>>> Running Exch2003 SP2 in Win2003.
>>>
>>> I've got problems assigning permissions to public folders using 
>>> groups/distribution lists. I get an error the permissions cannot be 
>>> saved. Using individual users however does work. At first I thought this 
>>> was due to the fact the we were still running Exchange in mixed-mode. 
>>> That's also what the event log tips me about.
>>>
>>> I switched to Native Exchange mode since I don't need pre-Exchange2000 
>>> servers, but the error is still there. I rebooted all Exchange servers.
>>>
>>> My active-dir is still in mixed-mode, but I'm pretty sure I read that 
>>> the to modes are seperate. You don't need to have a native 2000/2003 
>>> Active Dir to run Exchange in Native Exchange mode.
>>>
>>> What am I missing ?
>>>
>>> Grtz
>>> Rwillkomm@ortec.nl
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
rwillkomm (28)
4/4/2006 9:35:00 AM
That isn't true.  All we are saying is that in order to be used as an ACL, 
it must be a security group.  Security Groups can still be mail-enabled 
(function as DL's).  The only difference between a distribution group and a 
security group is that security groups can be used to assign permissions (to 
file shares and to Exchange resources).  I suppose that the only reason 
there are different types of groups is so that you can create a group *just* 
for e-mailing.

If you set the group to a security group, your users can very well use those 
for calendar permissions.

The reason it was different in 5.5 was because 5.5 hosted it's own 
directory.  You could ONLY use objects from the 5.5 directory to assign 
permissions to Exchange objects (like your calendar, or PF's).

-- 
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP
MessageOne
Read my blog!
http://winzenz.blogspot.com
http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)


"RW" <rwillkomm@ortec.nl> wrote in message 
news:44323dc4$0$24070$e4fe514c@dreader27.news.xs4all.nl...
> Ok, so far I can follow. By holding down CTRL and clicking client 
> permissions I'm able to ACL permissions groups instead of DL's.
> But my users cannot do that. They only have Outlook.
>
> Why would I want my users to fiddle with ACL you might ask ? Isn't that an 
> IT task ? This is largely true. But lotsa times users also need to ACL. 
> For instance when sharing their calendar. Now they have to add a whole 
> bunch of users since they cannot use a DL (anonymous and default are to 
> rough). And when a new employee comes in, everyone has to update their 
> ACL's.
>
> This wasn't the case in 5.5.
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@nospamdotmessageonedotcom> wrote 
> in message news:OT7ioKzVGHA.812@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> Right.   Although it's worth noting that if you *try* to add a regular 
>> Distribution Group to PF permissions, Exchange will dutifully try to 
>> change it to a mail-enabled security group, but that change isn't always 
>> successful.  The best solution is to modify the group type yourself, then 
>> add it to the PF permissions.
>>
>> -- 
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>> MessageOne
>> Read my blog!
>> http://winzenz.blogspot.com
>> http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed)
>>
>>
>> "Bharat Suneja" <bharatsuneja@no.spam.org> wrote in message 
>> news:ufV%23i%23yVGHA.4976@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
>>> Distribution Groups are not security principals and cannot be added to 
>>> ACLs.
>>> Use a Security Group instead.
>>> -- 
>>> Bharat Suneja
>>> MCSE, MCT
>>> www.zenprise.com
>>> blog: www.suneja.com/blog
>>> -----------------------------------------
>>>
>>>
>>> "RW" <rwillkomm@ortec.nl> wrote in message 
>>> news:44313721$0$21583$e4fe514c@dreader12.news.xs4all.nl...
>>>> Running Exch2003 SP2 in Win2003.
>>>>
>>>> I've got problems assigning permissions to public folders using 
>>>> groups/distribution lists. I get an error the permissions cannot be 
>>>> saved. Using individual users however does work. At first I thought 
>>>> this was due to the fact the we were still running Exchange in 
>>>> mixed-mode. That's also what the event log tips me about.
>>>>
>>>> I switched to Native Exchange mode since I don't need pre-Exchange2000 
>>>> servers, but the error is still there. I rebooted all Exchange servers.
>>>>
>>>> My active-dir is still in mixed-mode, but I'm pretty sure I read that 
>>>> the to modes are seperate. You don't need to have a native 2000/2003 
>>>> Active Dir to run Exchange in Native Exchange mode.
>>>>
>>>> What am I missing ?
>>>>
>>>> Grtz
>>>> Rwillkomm@ortec.nl
>>>>
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
> 


0
Ben
4/4/2006 8:35:43 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Homing Child public folder
Child Public Folder Appears Incorrectly on an Exchange Server. Our root folder is homed in Asia. My impression was when creating a child folder it creates on the server you reside on. It then replicates to the Public Folder then gets Re-homed to what every the parent folder is. This is not happening. Has anybody seen this before? ...

email publications
I have a 4 page newletter that I want to email in the body of the email but only 1 page comes thru. I have pub 2003. Any ideas You can't do it the way you want to. I have a page that will tell you how to do it but it's not something I'd rally want to do. We normally suggest converting the newsletter to a .pdf and attach that to the email. -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "sunnyatrodeph" <sunnyatrodeph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:880FF3CD-FF2F-4839-A23E-A71F964602C5...

2 level group per report
Hi, I have a report that needs to be grouped in 2 level, per country and per province/state. My problem is I need to see data on the first page of the first level group (country) and the first page of the second level group (province). I have tried many combination of forcing new page on both level but I cannot keep the group header of the province with the data when the province change, meaning I see data in Canada, Alberta and on the same page, I will see the group header of the next province when it is time to change on the same page. which I cannot see If I force new page on the p...

Why won't my 2 publication pages switch to 2-pg view as asked?
This is a brand new publication. It only has two pages to it. There is hardly any content and NO web links. But when I use the VIEW drop down menu and click that very first option saying "Two-page spread", Microsoft Publisher does absolutely NOTHING! No, not in print view ... i'm saying "nothing". Yes, I've restarted my computer... all that. Also, in the master page view many of the options are totally greyed-out. Why doesn't microsoft just fix its software instead of adding new inefficient ones? You must have three or more pages to see a two-page ...

Problems Setting Delegate Permissions
I'm getting the following error message with Outlook 2003 and Exchange Server 2003. Does anyone know how to repair this? This occurs everytime I try to set Delegates for a user, or any user for that matter. I get to the point where I have assigned a user the permissions and when I click OK, I get the following: Microsoft Office Outlook The Delegates settings were not saved correctly. Unable to activate send-on-behalf-of list. You do not have sufficient permission to perform this operation on this object. Thanks for your help, Can you explain how your AD environment is setup. Singl...

Pivot Tabel
hello, when i group dates by months from different years in a pivot table, excel returns: january, february, march,..., december but does not make a difference between 2003, 2004. how can i obtain jan-03, feb-03,..., dec-03, jan-04,...aug-04 ? thank you kindly for your help ! andy Group the dates by Years and Months. All the 2003 months will be listed, then all the 2004 months. Or, add a new column (e.g. YrMth) in the source data table, and use a formula to calculate the year and month. For example: =YEAR(A2)&"-"&TEXT(MONTH(A2),"00") Copy the formula do...

Can you open a publisher 2003 publication in publisher 2000?
Can you open a publisher 2003 document in a publisher 2000 program? No -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Shaz" <Shaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6732D11-AD6F-4209-891A-CB05BD87ECC3@microsoft.com... > Can you open a publisher 2003 document in a publisher 2000 program? ...

No access to Public Folder
Hello There, I have a funky problem regarding Public Folders on a Exchange 2003 Standard. Although I see the Public Folders in Outlook I do not have the rights to add anything. I have set all the rights in Exchange System Manager, but still don't have access. Then I checked with ADSI Edit and found an entry for Public Folder but without an Entry for "Class". Also in the Exchange System Manager under Folders I do not see a "Public Folders" bu cannot creat one, because it is already there (so the warning I get). Does anyone of you have an idea? Thanks and Best Regards Dan...

My deleted emails don't stay in my Deleted Items folder.
If I read an email from my inbox then delete it that email doesn't appear in my "Deleted Items" folder. They seem to automatically purge. If I delete an email that has not been opened then that unread email does show up in my "Deleted Items" folder. I can do a right-click find on the "Deleted Items" folder and it appears to find emails but I'm not sure. I need to reset something so all my emails stay in the "Deleted Items" folder until I choose to purge them. The only thing I have done in the last couple of weeks is to compact m...

Attaching emails from different folders
I am able to attach emails to a new email within a folder I created (clicking on each mail I want to attach, and right click "forward as attachment"). I am trying to figure out how I can attach different emails from within different email folders to a new email. I am using Outlook Express 6. Thanks ...

show new mails in public folder
hello, our public folder dosen't show new mails like in the inbox. I want to see if a new message receive, where can I adjust this. thank's for answeres. best regards Christain In news:DBD8EFB5-F0CA-4705-B9C1-854040BA514E@microsoft.com, Christian Weihs <ChristianWeihs@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > hello, > > our public folder dosen't show new mails like in the inbox. I want to > see if a new message receive, where can I adjust this. > > thank's for answeres. > > best regards > Christain What version of Outlook are you using? If yo...

Mailbox displayed twice in folder view?
Running Outlook 2003 and I have my mailbox displayed twice under folder view. What can I do to have it displayed only once? TIA ...

Unable to copy other's Contacts folder
To All, User A delegated and granted me full permission to access his Contacts list. My permission level is Owner. I can do anything but copy the whole "Contacts folder" to my mailbox. It says no permission. Anyway that I can copy other's Contacts folder into my mailbox. THanks Calvin Can you copy individual items? If so, create a new folder and copy the contacts to it - use By Category view to make it easier to see all of the contacts. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart...

Filter Mode #2
Hi I have been sent a large spreadsheet. The problem is that when I fillter the data instead of the number of rows which have been filltered out being displayed on the left hand side of the status bar the words "filter mode" appear. How do I get rid of the "filter mode" so that status bar shows the number of records filtered? Elaine ...

personal folders for multiple emails
There is a feature that I was willing to see in 2003 version, but I think it's not there yet. If i have multiple emails outlook will put all massages to a personal folder so my Inbox gets crowded. Can I have a personal folder for each email. I know i can do that using filters for each folder but i don't think this is a proper way for doing it. Please let me know if that is possible. You can create rules to move messages based on the account over which they were received. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Ahmad Yahya" <gt21124@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4...

Unable to view public folders
We are currently running Microsoft Exchange 2000. I am currently attempting to create public folders and point a designated email address at them. I am creating each folder via a terminal logged on as Administrator. When I go to the Exchanger manager to view the public folder:- > Administrative Groups > 1st Adminastrive Groups > Public Folders The following message appears:- Enter Network Password Username Password The username field is already populated with the following information:- domanin\user When i attempt to enter the password the message reappears. Hope t...

Safe way to exchange Users folder to another HD
Hi all, windows 7 pro x64 in a tiny SSD (C: with OS)(30 Gb) another normal HD (E: with data)(500 Gb). is there any safe way to move all C:\users to e.g. E:\Users and not having a pain in the a... with problems of: "not found", "impossible to add new users", etc. could be fine a step by step guide of how to do it, and thing that not has to be done. Thanks, Corsair. Corsair wrote: > windows 7 pro x64 in a tiny SSD (C: with OS)(30 Gb) another normal > HD (E: with data)(500 Gb). > > is there any safe way to move all C:\users to e.g. E:\U...

Is there a way to group accounts.
Basically what I'm after is to group accounts in relation to how they fit into our company. ie Contract Customer, Casual Customer etc. That way I can select a view and only see my Contract Customers, and then use the various tools, Marketing etc, only for my Contract Customers. Thanks in advance. M Hello, You can create a picklist with values Contract Customer, Casual Customer, etc. Add this picklist to the Account form (maybe a mandatory field) and publish the customization. When an Account is created, this picklist can be used to identify which category the Account belongs to....

Shared folders
Why are others able to select locked cells, in a shared folder? I have protected this worksheet and have set it so others could only select unlocked cells. ...

Public Folder Directory Rights
In a haste I think I removed all directory rights to a branch of my public folders. Now when I try to click directory rights button in the permissions tab within the properties of that folder in Exchange administrator I get "Unable to read security rights form the directory". I also remember inheritant rights prior. Anyone know how I can correct this so that I can fix the PF structure? -- SS I meant to say "I also removed inheritant rights earlier" -- SS "Steven" wrote: > In a haste I think I removed all directory rights to a branch of my public >...

How to copy documents using links from excel to web folder
Hi All, We have a web application containing documents and each document has its own link. An excel sheet is having all document names and their links as separate columns. Now, the requirement is to copy all the documents using their links from excel to a particular folder in the web application. I would like to know what all are the possible solutions of this requirement? Or any vbscript is available to do this task? Many Thanks, Atiya. ...

Opening a closed Archive folder
I am running outlook 2007. I right mouse clicked and closed one of my archive folders. Does anyone know if closing the outlook PST erases it? I went back to try and open it and I can not locate that PST file any longer, are my files lost? Outlook doesn't erase the file. Click File/Open and select the file. if you can't find it, use the Windows Explorer search and look for any *.pst file. -- Best regards Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook : Outlook Categories? Category Manager Is Your Tool : VBOffice Reporter for Data Analysis & Reporting : <http://www....

Permissions Tab Missing
Just had to do a complete reinstall of Exchange 5.5. All went smooth, and everything is working as expected. However, I just noticed that on the mailbox properties box in the Exchange Administrator, the Permissions tab is missing. Any help out there would be great. Thank you. In Exchange Admin go to Tools, Options, clikc the Permissions tab. Place a check both next to "Show Permissions page for all objects". "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:de8c01c43c12$39de14b0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Just had to do a complete reinstall of E...

Option buttons and group box
If I draw a group box and add some option buttons everything is fine However I have lots of option buttons already set up and now need t group them in several different group boxes. I can't seem to make this work, they just don't group at all. Any idea anyone? thank -- Markathepu ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Markathepub's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=353 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31937 If you used optionbuttons from the Forms toolbar, put a nice grou...

Public Folder
Hello, I have created a Public Folder with a Task View as my MIS Help Desk for my internal users. Occassionally the Task Item will disappear. I DO NOT know why it disappears, can you help me with this? Also, the users only fill in the Subject line and sometimes additional information in the body of the Task. That's all. Very puzzle!? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ...