pst

Hi
I know PSTs over a LAN aren't supported, and are a crappy idea but they used
to work fine with the Novell server used in exactly the same way. Since
migrating it to windows server 2003 we;re getting problems with people being
able to open them. They work for a bit and then stop.

I'm assuming it's some network configuration that needs to be changed on the
server. But does anyone have any idea what?

Thanks
Barry

I am sure you have seen
http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1013&sectionName=Why%20PST%20=%20BAD

Just tell us what is wrong with storing data in Exchange information store?

Barry wrote:

> Hi
> I know PSTs over a LAN aren't supported, and are a crappy idea but they used
> to work fine with the Novell server used in exactly the same way. Since
> migrating it to windows server 2003 we;re getting problems with people being
> able to open them. They work for a bit and then stop.
>
> I'm assuming it's some network configuration that needs to be changed on the
> server. But does anyone have any idea what?
>
> Thanks
> Barry

0
kpalagin (1838)
7/21/2005 1:54:50 PM
Nothing. Though quite a few people seem to have psts that are over a gig and
I don't fancy allowing peple a 2 gig mail box!

"Kirill Palagin" <kpalagin@no.phxint.mail.ru> wrote in message
>I am sure you have seen
> http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1013&sectionName=Why%20PST%20=%20BAD
>
> Just tell us what is wrong with storing data in Exchange information
> store?
>

> Barry wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> I know PSTs over a LAN aren't supported, and are a crappy idea but they
>> used
>> to work fine with the Novell server used in exactly the same way. Since
>> migrating it to windows server 2003 we;re getting problems with people
>> being
>> able to open them. They work for a bit and then stop.
>>
>> I'm assuming it's some network configuration that needs to be changed on
>> the
>> server. But does anyone have any idea what?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Barry

So business requires (and agrees to pay for) unlimited storage for mail? Then keep data on Exchange - data is still stored on the server and mail in
infostore takes less disk and tape space that in .psts. So I see absolutely no reason to limit them in mailbox size, but give unlimited space on
file-server. Besides Exchange databases are much more durable that .pst.
If business is not ready to pay for unlimited mail storage move .psts to workstations, tell users they are on their own and be done with it.
P.S. The reason for Netware being better - psts were smaller at that time, no?

Barry wrote:

> Nothing. Though quite a few people seem to have psts that are over a gig and
> I don't fancy allowing peple a 2 gig mail box!
>
> "Kirill Palagin" <kpalagin@no.phxint.mail.ru> wrote in message
> >I am sure you have seen
> > http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1013&sectionName=Why%20PST%20=%20BAD
> >
> > Just tell us what is wrong with storing data in Exchange information
> > store?
> >

> > Barry wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >> I know PSTs over a LAN aren't supported, and are a crappy idea but they
> >> used
> >> to work fine with the Novell server used in exactly the same way. Since
> >> migrating it to windows server 2003 we;re getting problems with people
> >> being
> >> able to open them. They work for a bit and then stop.
> >>
> >> I'm assuming it's some network configuration that needs to be changed on
> >> the
> >> server. But does anyone have any idea what?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Barry

0
kpalagin (1838)
7/21/2005 2:52:13 PM
yeah i see your point regarding file space. Though Exchange stores aren't
infinte. I really hate PSTs, but this is one of those "it was like that when
i got here" situations and poeple seem to have statred to use them. I'll see
what Ican do about shifting all the mail to the exchange store though.

Do you know what the approx size difference is between mails in a pst and
mails in the exchange store?

The file sizes were approximately the same size under novell. This started
happening immediately after the migration.

> So business requires (and agrees to pay for) unlimited storage for mail?
> Then keep data on Exchange - data is still stored on the server and mail
> in
> infostore takes less disk and tape space that in .psts. So I see
> absolutely no reason to limit them in mailbox size, but give unlimited
> space on
> file-server. Besides Exchange databases are much more durable that .pst.
> If business is not ready to pay for unlimited mail storage move .psts to
> workstations, tell users they are on their own and be done with it.
> P.S. The reason for Netware being better - psts were smaller at that time,
> no?
>
> Barry wrote:
>
>> Nothing. Though quite a few people seem to have psts that are over a gig
>> and
>> I don't fancy allowing peple a 2 gig mail box!
>>
>> "Kirill Palagin" <kpalagin@no.phxint.mail.ru> wrote in message
>> >I am sure you have seen
>> > http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1013&sectionName=Why%20PST%20=%20BAD
>> >
>> > Just tell us what is wrong with storing data in Exchange information
>> > store?

is there any AV software that could be effecting it now its on a windows
  box,

Barry wrote:
> yeah i see your point regarding file space. Though Exchange stores aren't
> infinte. I really hate PSTs, but this is one of those "it was like that when
> i got here" situations and poeple seem to have statred to use them. I'll see
> what Ican do about shifting all the mail to the exchange store though.
>
> Do you know what the approx size difference is between mails in a pst and
> mails in the exchange store?
>
> The file sizes were approximately the same size under novell. This started
> happening immediately after the migration.
>

> "Kirill Palagin" <kpalagin@no.phxint.mail.ru> wrote in message
>
>>So business requires (and agrees to pay for) unlimited storage for mail?
>>Then keep data on Exchange - data is still stored on the server and mail
>>in
>>infostore takes less disk and tape space that in .psts. So I see
>>absolutely no reason to limit them in mailbox size, but give unlimited
>>space on
>>file-server. Besides Exchange databases are much more durable that .pst.
>>If business is not ready to pay for unlimited mail storage move .psts to
>>workstations, tell users they are on their own and be done with it.
>>P.S. The reason for Netware being better - psts were smaller at that time,
>>no?
>>
>>Barry wrote:
>>

>>>Nothing. Though quite a few people seem to have psts that are over a gig
>>>and
>>>I don't fancy allowing peple a 2 gig mail box!
>>>
>>>"Kirill Palagin" <kpalagin@no.phxint.mail.ru> wrote in message

0
Ericb1 (43)
7/21/2005 4:09:52 PM

In news:OZ3vSVgjFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Barry <spamiittyspam@spammy.spam> typed:
> yeah i see your point regarding file space. Though Exchange stores
> aren't infinte. I really hate PSTs, but this is one of those "it was
> like that when i got here" situations and poeple seem to have statred
> to use them. I'll see what Ican do about shifting all the mail to the
> exchange store though.

Pardon my jumping in.....
a) Explain to management that you are currently using an entirely
unsupported config and cannot guarantee performance or data integrity and b)
price out various options for them, including Exchange Enterprise, increased
disk/tape storage, etc., and so forth.

> Do you know what the approx size difference is between mails in a pst
> and mails in the exchange store?

Really depends on a lot of factors. Single instance storage is lost, for one
thing.

> The file sizes were approximately the same size under novell. This
> started happening immediately after the migration.

Can't tell you why this would happen, but I'm sure other things changed as
well with regard to your network. It's not relevant, really, because again,
this is unsupported and is known to cause problems. Not worth pursuing or
bandaiding.  If the data is important, and management expects you to
maintain it/back it up, it really does not belong in a PST file.

> "Kirill Palagin" <kpalagin@no.phxint.mail.ru> wrote in message
>> So business requires (and agrees to pay for) unlimited storage for
>> mail? Then keep data on Exchange - data is still stored on the
>> server and mail in
>> infostore takes less disk and tape space that in .psts. So I see
>> absolutely no reason to limit them in mailbox size, but give
>> unlimited space on
>> file-server. Besides Exchange databases are much more durable that
>> .pst. If business is not ready to pay for unlimited mail storage
>> move .psts to workstations, tell users they are on their own and be
>> done with it. P.S. The reason for Netware being better - psts were
>> smaller at that
>> time, no?
>>
>> Barry wrote:
>>
>>> Nothing. Though quite a few people seem to have psts that are over
>>> a gig and
>>> I don't fancy allowing peple a 2 gig mail box!
>>>
>>> "Kirill Palagin" <kpalagin@no.phxint.mail.ru> wrote in message

0
lanwench (7567)
7/21/2005 4:33:28 PM
Barry wrote:

> yeah i see your point regarding file space. Though Exchange stores aren't
> infinte. I really hate PSTs, but this is one of those "it was like that when
> i got here" situations and poeple seem to have statred to use them. I'll see
> what Ican do about shifting all the mail to the exchange store though.

You are at position to evolve IT in your Co, not to preserve it.

> Do you know what the approx size difference is between mails in a pst and
> mails in the exchange store?

That really depends. You definitely loose single instanced storage.

> The file sizes were approximately the same size under novell. This started
> happening immediately after the migration.

Then I do not know.

> <snip>

0
kpalagin (1838)
7/22/2005 5:46:11 AM
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
<lanwench@heybuddy.donotsendme.unsolicitedmail.atyahoo.com> wrote in

> In news:OZ3vSVgjFHA.1968@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Barry <spamiittyspam@spammy.spam> typed:
>> yeah i see your point regarding file space. Though Exchange stores
>> aren't infinte. I really hate PSTs, but this is one of those "it was
>> like that when i got here" situations and poeple seem to have statred
>> to use them. I'll see what Ican do about shifting all the mail to the
>> exchange store though.
>
> Pardon my jumping in.....
> a) Explain to management that you are currently using an entirely
> unsupported config and cannot guarantee performance or data integrity
> and b) price out various options for them, including Exchange
> Enterprise, increased disk/tape storage, etc., and so forth.

Do more than explain. Management usually needs to hit over the head with
a hammer. Draft a professional, well documented memo explaining why your
current setup is not supported, and provide supported alternatives.
Explain that because of that you cannot be held responsible for any data
loss. Then ask them to sign the disclaimer. That last phase usually makes
management sit up and take notice that this may be serious.

>> Do you know what the approx size difference is between mails in a pst
>> and mails in the exchange store?
>
> Really depends on a lot of factors. Single instance storage is lost,
> for one thing.
>>
>> The file sizes were approximately the same size under novell. This
>> started happening immediately after the migration.
>
> Can't tell you why this would happen, but I'm sure other things
> changed as well with regard to your network. It's not relevant,
> really, because again, this is unsupported and is known to cause
> problems. Not worth pursuing or bandaiding.  If the data is important,
> and management expects you to maintain it/back it up, it really does
> not belong in a PST file.
>

>> "Kirill Palagin" <kpalagin@no.phxint.mail.ru> wrote in message
>>> So business requires (and agrees to pay for) unlimited storage for
>>> mail? Then keep data on Exchange - data is still stored on the
>>> server and mail in
>>> infostore takes less disk and tape space that in .psts. So I see
>>> absolutely no reason to limit them in mailbox size, but give
>>> unlimited space on
>>> file-server. Besides Exchange databases are much more durable that
>>> .pst. If business is not ready to pay for unlimited mail storage
>>> move .psts to workstations, tell users they are on their own and be
>>> done with it. P.S. The reason for Netware being better - psts were
>>> smaller at that
>>> time, no?

0
compguy666 (112)

import pst file #2
yet, another problem with importing a pst file: When I have chosen the file to import I get the message: 'Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use' But I cannot find anywhere to define it when importing??? I obviously made a definition naming the pst file when exporting it. But how do I import the file? How did you create this PST file? Was it ever on a CD? If so, remove its read only attribute. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "carsten" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0dad01c3c034$48890ec0$a001280a@phx.gbl....

Sync. question for .pst file.
If anyone can help, I would like to sync my .pst file from my office PC to my laptop. Now I am using the sync program in Windows 2K and I get the error that says this type of file is unable to be Synchronized. I have done this before, I know you can go into the Registry and change what types of files can and can't be Synchronized. Can anyone tell me where that setting is. It's been a while since I had to do this and I completely forgot. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. P.S. Running Win 2K and Office 2003. ...

How do I move current faulty pst to backup and set up a new pst?
Yesterday I had my laptop turn itself off, probably because of overheating. When I started it again Outlook can read but not write to the outlook.pst file. I've tried to run scanpst.exe but it freezes everything but the mouse about 6% in to the first step scan and I have to cold boot the laptop. I've tried copying outlook.pst to a different folder, a usb memory stick and via LAN to another pc but no luck, the copy locks up and never finishes. I have also run chkdsk several times and it recovered some misallocated sectors so something did go wrong with the file system. ...

size of .pst file #2
I have attempted to find the answer to this question by searching this group, but to no avail.... Until recently I was running Outlook 2003 with a single pst file. However, given that it has reached 800MB, and since I wanted to split the storage of personal and work emails, I decided to create 2 additional pst files ('personal' and 'work'). I did just that, following which I moved the relevant folders from within my Inbox structure to the two personal folders. To my suprise the original .pst file did not change in size. I shut down, restarted. I also tried to compact it, which...

Old pst file
I have an old pst file saved on cd that I need to get an email address from. I no longer am on an exchange server. Is there a utility for viewing emails in the pst file? Is there a utility that will import the pst file into Outlook Express without having full Outlook on my system? Currently Outlook Express keeps saying to configure the Outlook email client before import. Thanks in advance for any help. OE cannot use PST files. The messages you are getting are correct. Believe them. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Outlook Dummy" <ab@pickapics.com> wrote in message news:...

backup Outlook.pst file if busy
Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Thanks. Doug <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup > can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically > close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Some remote-control programs allow this. -- Brian Tillman ...

Outlook PST file empty.
I have 2 .pst files. When I view the file properties in Explorer/File Manager etc they show as 4MB and 40MB in size respectively. When I open them through Outlook (2000, 2002 on NT and XP) both files show as completely empty, and the file size as 0KB. I've run scanpst.exe, and it can't find any problems with the files. Has anyone got any ideas? See if any of the additional tips on the following page help: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the n...

why outlook1.pst and outlook.pst?
Hello, A friend's PC using Outlook 2003 has 2 .pst files - Outlook.pst and Outlook1.pst in Documents and Settings\<his name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.. One is about 1/10 the size of the other and one starts with upper case letter O and the other with lower case letter o. I cannot remember which way round. Why are there 2 .pst files? Cheers, Geoff Are both constantly updated? Maybe one is his archive PST file where old data gets moved during the AutoArchive process. If not maybe he created one by accident and it's just sitting there unused. "...

pst
Hi I know PSTs over a LAN aren't supported, and are a crappy idea but they used to work fine with the Novell server used in exactly the same way. Since migrating it to windows server 2003 we;re getting problems with people being able to open them. They work for a bit and then stop. I'm assuming it's some network configuration that needs to be changed on the server. But does anyone have any idea what? Thanks Barry I am sure you have seen http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1013&sect...

PST file over 2GB and corrupted
Hello! When running the PST crop tool from MS to crop some data from an oversize PST file, from what portion of the file does it delete data? Start (old stuff?), middle, or end of file (new stuff?)? Gregg Hill There is no real way to determine what content will be cut. Take a backup, run the pst2gb utility and assess the result in Outlook. "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:OWiuSM90GHA.4452@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hello! > > When running the PST crop tool from MS to crop some data from an oversize > PST file, from what portion of t...

import outlook.pst from outlook 2003 to winmail in vista
Any one have any doc's on how to import an outlook.pst file from 2003 into winmail in vista? Greately appreciated. Andres Can't be done. You'd have to export the Contacts to a format Windows Mail can import. You'd have to have the PST connected to Outlook on the same partition so you could import the messages. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Andres M. Hidalgo" <ahidalgo@verizon.net> wrote in message news:ultT6QNgIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Any one have any doc's on how to import an outlook.pst file from 2003 into > winmail in vista? &g...

archive.pst and outlook.pst
Hello, Can anyone help to tell me what are those files that outlook keeps? The reason i ask you this is because i'll have to format my pc and then reinstall outlook. My question is: if i save both this files i will keep my emails and contacts right? If not, what do i have to do to keep them? Tks in advance Pedro That is correct. Pedro wrote: > Hello, > Can anyone help to tell me what are those files that outlook keeps? > The reason i ask you this is because i'll have to format my pc and then > reinstall outlook. My question is: if i save both this files i ...

Outlook 2003 pst files
I have four personal .pst files. I want to delte three of them. When I try to delete I get an error message "object could not be found". I don't know where Outlook is looking for these .pst files or I would just create them and then close. I think the problem was caused by the user (me). Any suggestions? Thanks, KG ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ If you go to Tools | Options | Mail Setup | Data Files do you see them listed there...

PST server h/w specs
Hi all, Due to the restriction of mailbox size on our organization I have decided to build a server for storing pst files of approximately 100 users. PST files will be ranging from 50-100 MB up to 2-3 GB. Can anyone recommend what h/w should be used in general. Not planning on spending much money-budget issue. e.g Could I build the server and not buy a brand one (like ibm,dell,hp etc.) cons ? one processor or two ? (in the case of the scratch build should I consider just pentium D 900 series or bigger ? intel m/b - which one ? ) 2GB ram SATA or SCSI ...

PST File not going larger
Hi, I am currently having a problem with my PST file on a company computer. The problem appears that the PST File is too large, asking to archive things and the like, however the file is only 1.9GB. I am at a loss as I don't often interact with outlook on a "problem solving" basis. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Shane Through some inspection I noticed that the file was being stored in another directory, what I suspect is an older outlook's version of the PST file. The only item using the Outlook 2003 pst file, it appears, is one of the Archi...

Sharing a .pst
I have a .pst on the file server(not exchange just a win2k box with a shared directory) and i want my second machine to be able to access it...i know that both will not be able to access it at the same time..i am not interested in commercial/third party apps...i just want the other computer to be able to use that remote .pst in the primary window(aka in the outlook today area and not as another folder)...how do i link the second computer to the pst? I do not want to copy it..i want any changes the second computer makes to be reflected in the pst so the first computer when it comes up ...

Recover or Change PST password
Does anyone know of a way to recover or change the password on a PST without opening the file. The user forgot his password. The user is out of luck. There are password recovery services that you can utilize - check on google for some possibilities. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Eric <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | Does anyone know of a way to recover or ...

Outlook 2003 .pst --> Outlook 2002 .pst Argh!!!
I installed Office 2003, determined after the installation Outlook 2003 is not compatible with a 3rd party software. Uninstalled 2003, installed Office 2002 now I can't import my .pst back into Outlook 2002. The file .....Outlook.pst is not compatible with this version of the Personal Folders information service. Contact you administrator. Anyone have a solution to this problem? I need to get the e-mails back. You need to install Outlook 2003. Create a new pst file. Make sure you select Outlook 97-2002 compatible format. Export those emails to that newly created PST file. Then o...

converting ANSI .pst to unicode .pst
Have a user that has reached the 2GB limit of the .pst file in outlook 2002. Want to move her to Outlook 2003 but was wondering if it's possible to convert the ANSI .pst file to a UNICODE .pst file? I was thinking just create a new .pst then drag and drop the old email within the ANSI to the new one??? Yes, that is the method. After you install Outlook 2003, create a new Outlook Data File and choose the 2003 version. Open the old .pst file and drag and drop to the new .pst. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SW...

Import PST tool for Entourage 2004
Hi, I would be extremely thankful if anyone could tell me where to find the import beta tool for a non-mvp... Br Gunnar Holmgren ...

Converting old PST files to Outlook 2003 PST
Hi, Do you know a program to easily convert old pst files (97, 2000, XP) to Outlook 2003 PST format ? Thanks in advance ALWAYS make a backup copy of the .pst file before doing anything to it! I have used this method to import an Outlook 2002 .pst file (even corrupted ones!) into Outlook 2003 In Outlook 2003 I created a new .pst file (Tools, Services, Add, Personal Folder). File | Import and Export | Import from another program or file | Personal folder file (.pst) Follow the prompts to select the old .pst as the import from and the new ..pst as the file to import into, repla...

mailbox.pst error
Received error when trying to use Outlook 2003 that said errors detected and need to run Inbox Repair Tool. Tried that and when it was doing repair, it quits with errors so looked at the mailbox.log and it says fatal error: 800409900, dwErr=0 Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this problem. Outlook will open but as soon as I try to read or delete or move an email, it freezes up and then gives me the message to try the inbox repair tool. ...

Oversized PST
Hi, Running Exchange 2003 on Win 2003 Svr. A few users configured outlook to auto archive to a folder. One of them needs to access items from the archive. I looked at the archive pst and its 5 Gigs. Any suggestions on how to make that usable? Somehow split it up into multiple pst's and then open in outlook? Would Exmerge help any? I am aware of the 2Gb crop tool for oversized pst's but I don't think that would help in this case. I could be wrong. Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Unless the pst was created with Outlook 2007 which gets aro...

Collapsing PST files
Hi, I'm using the release version of Outlook 2007 downloaded from MSDN. Apart from the default Personal Folders .pst file, I also have a .pst file called Shared Personal Folders so that I can use it across several profiles. The Shared Personal Folders contains loads of my own folders and subfolders, some of which I like to have expanded, others not. I also have several other .pst files (Archive, Backup - that sort of thing) which I don't have open by default. When I open one of the other .pst files the Shared Personal Folders doesn't change. However, as soon as I close th...

PST
I have a pst file that is corrupted. How can I fix it or can I retrive any data? Once the pst file is corrupted it usually cannot be fixed, unless there is a method I have not seen yet. Is there a backup of the system where it resdied? You can pull a good copy of the file from there? "lionel" <lionelm@cox.net> wrote in message news:007b01c35d0c$f4740220$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have a pst file that is corrupted. How can I fix it or > can I retrive any data? See here; http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm BTW pst files larger than 1.6gb can cause problems. Dav...