PST Limit and Retention Area

Hi,

in Outlook 2003 is there still the 2 GB limit of size?
How can I see the Retention Area in Exchange?

Thank you

Luiz
0
Luiz1 (47)

No, default limit is 20GB for OL2003.
Retention Area in Exchange?  Please explain what you are referring too?

--
John Oliver, Jr.
MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP

"Luiz" <Luiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> in Outlook 2003 is there still the 2 GB limit of size?
> How can I see the Retention Area in Exchange?
>
> Thank you
>
> Luiz

0
jcoliverjr (1013)
7/20/2005 1:29:02 AM
Hi John,

thank you for your response.
Aboute Retention Area, whe I configure the Exchange Server to save my
Deleted Itens for 7 days, for example, in my mailbox I see only 127 k of
messages but when I open Recovery Deleted Itens  I notice that exist 5 MB.
Did you already see that?

Thank you again.

"John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" escreveu:

> No, default limit is 20GB for OL2003.
> Retention Area in Exchange?  Please explain what you are referring too?
>
> --
> John Oliver, Jr.
> MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP
> Microsoft Certified Partner
>
> "Luiz" <Luiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > in Outlook 2003 is there still the 2 GB limit of size?
> > How can I see the Retention Area in Exchange?
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Luiz

0
Luiz1 (47)
7/20/2005 3:25:06 AM
Deleted Items Retention does not count against mailbox size.

Luiz wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> thank you for your response.
> Aboute Retention Area, whe I configure the Exchange Server to save my
> Deleted Itens for 7 days, for example, in my mailbox I see only 127 k of
> messages but when I open Recovery Deleted Itens  I notice that exist 5 MB.
> Did you already see that?
>
> Thank you again.
>
> "John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" escreveu:
>
> > No, default limit is 20GB for OL2003.
> > Retention Area in Exchange?  Please explain what you are referring too?
> >
> > --
> > John Oliver, Jr.
> > MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP
> > Microsoft Certified Partner
> >
> > "Luiz" <Luiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > in Outlook 2003 is there still the 2 GB limit of size?
> > > How can I see the Retention Area in Exchange?
> > >
> > > Thank you
> > >
> > > Luiz

0
kpalagin (1838)
7/20/2005 8:09:10 AM
Hi Kirill,

thank you.
Do you know the KB that change a registry key of my Recovery Deleted Itens?
I mean, If I use SHIFT+DEL my message remain in Recovery Deleted Itens.

Regards.

Luiz

"Kirill Palagin" wrote:

> Deleted Items Retention does not count against mailbox size.
>
> Luiz wrote:
>
> > Hi John,
> >
> > thank you for your response.
> > Aboute Retention Area, whe I configure the Exchange Server to save my
> > Deleted Itens for 7 days, for example, in my mailbox I see only 127 k of
> > messages but when I open Recovery Deleted Itens  I notice that exist 5 MB.
> > Did you already see that?
> >
> > Thank you again.
> >
> > "John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" escreveu:
> >
> > > No, default limit is 20GB for OL2003.
> > > Retention Area in Exchange?  Please explain what you are referring too?
> > >
> > > --
> > > John Oliver, Jr.
> > > MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP
> > > Microsoft Certified Partner
> > >
> > > "Luiz" <Luiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Luiz1 (47)
7/21/2005 12:14:03 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?spid=global&query=dumpsteralwayson&catalog=LCID%3D1033&pwt=false&title=false&kt=ALL&mdt=0&comm=1&ast=1&ast=2&ast=3&ast=8&ast=9&mode=a

Luiz wrote:

> Hi Kirill,
>
> thank you.
> Do you know the KB that change a registry key of my Recovery Deleted Itens?
> I mean, If I use SHIFT+DEL my message remain in Recovery Deleted Itens.
>
> Regards.
>
> Luiz
>
> "Kirill Palagin" wrote:
>
> > Deleted Items Retention does not count against mailbox size.
> >
> > Luiz wrote:
> >
> > > Hi John,
> > >
> > > thank you for your response.
> > > Aboute Retention Area, whe I configure the Exchange Server to save my
> > > Deleted Itens for 7 days, for example, in my mailbox I see only 127 k of
> > > messages but when I open Recovery Deleted Itens  I notice that exist 5 MB.
> > > Did you already see that?
> > >
> > > Thank you again.

0
kpalagin (1838)

import pst file #2
yet, another problem with importing a pst file: When I have chosen the file to import I get the message: 'Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use' But I cannot find anywhere to define it when importing??? I obviously made a definition naming the pst file when exporting it. But how do I import the file? How did you create this PST file? Was it ever on a CD? If so, remove its read only attribute. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "carsten" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0dad01c3c034$48890ec0$a001280a@phx.gbl....

limit number of emails sent?
Can Exchange Server limit the number of emails an account can send in a specified period of time. Like a virus/spam protection feature. If so is there a default setting and where do I find it? I have a user that needs to send several 100 emails. Before we had an Exchange server we were limited to X number of emails per hour by our ISP. Now that we have an Exchange server is there some sort of default setting for that that I can temporarily remove....or if there is somewhere I can control it I would like to start. Thanks!!! Mike No, there's nothing that will restrict a user to sen...

Sync. question for .pst file.
If anyone can help, I would like to sync my .pst file from my office PC to my laptop. Now I am using the sync program in Windows 2K and I get the error that says this type of file is unable to be Synchronized. I have done this before, I know you can go into the Registry and change what types of files can and can't be Synchronized. Can anyone tell me where that setting is. It's been a while since I had to do this and I completely forgot. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. P.S. Running Win 2K and Office 2003. ...

Large Plot (limits exceeded)
I have collected two data points for 18 months, 24/7. Puts that at >157K. That is Station 1 & Station 2, date, time, reading1, reading 2. When I went to chart in Excel got the message that the width was limited to 255 in the chart. Any suggestion on how to display the data? XP, XL 2003. Thanks, Gregor Gregor, check the helpfile on Excel specifications and limits (charting). You'll notice Excel has a limit of 255 data series, 256,000 data points (32,000 per series). Cld it be you have defined each data point as a separate series? HTH, Henk "Gregor" wrote: ...

How do I move current faulty pst to backup and set up a new pst?
Yesterday I had my laptop turn itself off, probably because of overheating. When I started it again Outlook can read but not write to the outlook.pst file. I've tried to run scanpst.exe but it freezes everything but the mouse about 6% in to the first step scan and I have to cold boot the laptop. I've tried copying outlook.pst to a different folder, a usb memory stick and via LAN to another pc but no luck, the copy locks up and never finishes. I have also run chkdsk several times and it recovered some misallocated sectors so something did go wrong with the file system. ...

Old pst file
I have an old pst file saved on cd that I need to get an email address from. I no longer am on an exchange server. Is there a utility for viewing emails in the pst file? Is there a utility that will import the pst file into Outlook Express without having full Outlook on my system? Currently Outlook Express keeps saying to configure the Outlook email client before import. Thanks in advance for any help. OE cannot use PST files. The messages you are getting are correct. Believe them. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Outlook Dummy" <ab@pickapics.com> wrote in message news:...

size of .pst file #2
I have attempted to find the answer to this question by searching this group, but to no avail.... Until recently I was running Outlook 2003 with a single pst file. However, given that it has reached 800MB, and since I wanted to split the storage of personal and work emails, I decided to create 2 additional pst files ('personal' and 'work'). I did just that, following which I moved the relevant folders from within my Inbox structure to the two personal folders. To my suprise the original .pst file did not change in size. I shut down, restarted. I also tried to compact it, which...

backup Outlook.pst file if busy
Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Thanks. Doug <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Some users leave their Outlook up overnight & our backup > can't pickup a busy outlook.pst file. Can I automatically > close Outlook say at 11:00pm before our backups run? Some remote-control programs allow this. -- Brian Tillman ...

why outlook1.pst and outlook.pst?
Hello, A friend's PC using Outlook 2003 has 2 .pst files - Outlook.pst and Outlook1.pst in Documents and Settings\<his name>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook.. One is about 1/10 the size of the other and one starts with upper case letter O and the other with lower case letter o. I cannot remember which way round. Why are there 2 .pst files? Cheers, Geoff Are both constantly updated? Maybe one is his archive PST file where old data gets moved during the AutoArchive process. If not maybe he created one by accident and it's just sitting there unused. "...

Outlook PST file empty.
I have 2 .pst files. When I view the file properties in Explorer/File Manager etc they show as 4MB and 40MB in size respectively. When I open them through Outlook (2000, 2002 on NT and XP) both files show as completely empty, and the file size as 0KB. I've run scanpst.exe, and it can't find any problems with the files. Has anyone got any ideas? See if any of the additional tips on the following page help: http://www.slipstick.com/problems/scanpst.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the n...

Chart Area #3
I know I have done before, but can't seem to remember how to get doable results. I want to be able to have 3 different background colors on a chart Green, Yellow, and Red. Then 3 columns that are used to show different numbers. The background colors are to help the viewer see quickly if their numbers are in a valid range. -- Thanks, Nikki Nikki - Here's one way: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/HorizBands.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Nikki&q...

pst
Hi I know PSTs over a LAN aren't supported, and are a crappy idea but they used to work fine with the Novell server used in exactly the same way. Since migrating it to windows server 2003 we;re getting problems with people being able to open them. They work for a bit and then stop. I'm assuming it's some network configuration that needs to be changed on the server. But does anyone have any idea what? Thanks Barry I am sure you have seen http://www.swinc.com/resources/exchange/faq_db.asp?status=questions&faqID=1000&faqname=Exchange%205.5&sectionID=1013&sect...

How to create new Area
Hi Can anyone help me out when we open any account in MS-CRM3.0 we can see some groups with in left navigation pan. They are some entities grouped in each group, Can any one help me to create new group there I was able to add new entity in existing group but not able to create new group.. Thanks Hi Hemant, You can create a new area in Sitemap. Export Customizations->Sitemap, add the new area and Import Customizations. Do remember to take a backup of the original Sitemap. For more info on Sitemap customization, refer to the SDK help file. HTH, Niths "Hemant" wrote: >...

PST file over 2GB and corrupted
Hello! When running the PST crop tool from MS to crop some data from an oversize PST file, from what portion of the file does it delete data? Start (old stuff?), middle, or end of file (new stuff?)? Gregg Hill There is no real way to determine what content will be cut. Take a backup, run the pst2gb utility and assess the result in Outlook. "Gregg Hill" <bogus@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:OWiuSM90GHA.4452@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hello! > > When running the PST crop tool from MS to crop some data from an oversize > PST file, from what portion of t...

archive.pst and outlook.pst
Hello, Can anyone help to tell me what are those files that outlook keeps? The reason i ask you this is because i'll have to format my pc and then reinstall outlook. My question is: if i save both this files i will keep my emails and contacts right? If not, what do i have to do to keep them? Tks in advance Pedro That is correct. Pedro wrote: > Hello, > Can anyone help to tell me what are those files that outlook keeps? > The reason i ask you this is because i'll have to format my pc and then > reinstall outlook. My question is: if i save both this files i ...

import outlook.pst from outlook 2003 to winmail in vista
Any one have any doc's on how to import an outlook.pst file from 2003 into winmail in vista? Greately appreciated. Andres Can't be done. You'd have to export the Contacts to a format Windows Mail can import. You'd have to have the PST connected to Outlook on the same partition so you could import the messages. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Andres M. Hidalgo" <ahidalgo@verizon.net> wrote in message news:ultT6QNgIHA.748@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Any one have any doc's on how to import an outlook.pst file from 2003 into > winmail in vista? &g...

Limit administrative groups
Hi every body. In my network i have two domains in the same forest and two = administrative groups in the exchange server organization. Every domain = correspond to an administrative group. I have seen, that i can create a mailbox in both administrative group = but i want to limit this feature. I want that the mailbox will create in = his administrative group. How can i do this. Thanks. "Yog-Sothoth" <sothoth@NOSPAMterra.es> wrote: >Hi every body. > >In my network i have two domains in the same forest and two administrative groups in the exchange server organizat...

Outlook 2003 pst files
I have four personal .pst files. I want to delte three of them. When I try to delete I get an error message "object could not be found". I don't know where Outlook is looking for these .pst files or I would just create them and then close. I think the problem was caused by the user (me). Any suggestions? Thanks, KG ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.OutlookForum.com/ If you go to Tools | Options | Mail Setup | Data Files do you see them listed there...

PST server h/w specs
Hi all, Due to the restriction of mailbox size on our organization I have decided to build a server for storing pst files of approximately 100 users. PST files will be ranging from 50-100 MB up to 2-3 GB. Can anyone recommend what h/w should be used in general. Not planning on spending much money-budget issue. e.g Could I build the server and not buy a brand one (like ibm,dell,hp etc.) cons ? one processor or two ? (in the case of the scratch build should I consider just pentium D 900 series or bigger ? intel m/b - which one ? ) 2GB ram SATA or SCSI ...

Sharing a .pst
I have a .pst on the file server(not exchange just a win2k box with a shared directory) and i want my second machine to be able to access it...i know that both will not be able to access it at the same time..i am not interested in commercial/third party apps...i just want the other computer to be able to use that remote .pst in the primary window(aka in the outlook today area and not as another folder)...how do i link the second computer to the pst? I do not want to copy it..i want any changes the second computer makes to be reflected in the pst so the first computer when it comes up ...

PST File not going larger
Hi, I am currently having a problem with my PST file on a company computer. The problem appears that the PST File is too large, asking to archive things and the like, however the file is only 1.9GB. I am at a loss as I don't often interact with outlook on a "problem solving" basis. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Shane Through some inspection I noticed that the file was being stored in another directory, what I suspect is an older outlook's version of the PST file. The only item using the Outlook 2003 pst file, it appears, is one of the Archi...

Recover or Change PST password
Does anyone know of a way to recover or change the password on a PST without opening the file. The user forgot his password. The user is out of luck. There are password recovery services that you can utilize - check on google for some possibilities. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Eric <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | Does anyone know of a way to recover or ...

limit internal email size?
How can we make it so our internal email limit between databases is 10mb only? Article goes over scenarios for sending\receiving restrictions. How to set size limits for messages in Exchange Server http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322679 James Chong Gonzo wrote: > How can we make it so our internal email limit between databases is 10mb > only? ...

How to limit number of characters in the cell
Hello guys, I want to ask you for a small advice. What should I do If I want to limit the number of characters/numbers i the cell. For instance: I have column named "phone numbers" and I want to inser only numbers which consist of 6 numerals (it means that max cell valu is999.999) Many thanks and best regard -- Toma ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Toman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3139 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51096 Hello Toman, Have a look at ...

Outlook 2003 .pst --> Outlook 2002 .pst Argh!!!
I installed Office 2003, determined after the installation Outlook 2003 is not compatible with a 3rd party software. Uninstalled 2003, installed Office 2002 now I can't import my .pst back into Outlook 2002. The file .....Outlook.pst is not compatible with this version of the Personal Folders information service. Contact you administrator. Anyone have a solution to this problem? I need to get the e-mails back. You need to install Outlook 2003. Create a new pst file. Make sure you select Outlook 97-2002 compatible format. Export those emails to that newly created PST file. Then o...