Problem with message routing between EXCH2K and EX2K3

We are running a ver simply Exchange topology, with an Exchange 2000 single
server (ServerA) acting as "dumb" Information Store.  Incoming and outbound
SMTP email is relayed through a Linux based SMTP host relay on the same
subnet, which handles all domain lookups for mail routing.   ServerA is
configured to use to the Linux SMTP server as it's smart host.  The domain
is a native Windows 2003 AD topology.

My problem is the following:

I have recently added a new Exchange 2003 Server (ServerB) into our Exchange
site topology.    If I create a user (UserA) on ServerA and then do a Move
Mailbox to ServerB, and then I attempt to send an email to that user's
mailbox from an existing user's mailbox (UserB) on ServerA, it appears that
the message isn't being routed properly.   If I check the Queues on ServerA,
I can see that a queue is created called serverb.mycompany.com, and the
message to UserA is trying to be forwarded through this queue.   However, it
appears that the message simply can't find it's way to serverB.   The SMTP
service on ServerB works fine, as I can telnet into port 25 and get proper
HELO/EHLO responses.

I know I'm overlooking something obvious here.

If the mailbox being delivered to isn't on ServerA, given that I'm using an
external smart host for mail relaying, does ServerA attempt to relay the
message back off ServerA, and through the Linux relay, to deliver to
ServerB?  Or does ServerA attempt to create a direct connection between
itself and ServerB in order to deliver an email it knows is within it's own
Routing Group?  If the latter is the case, do I need to create a Connector
between ServerA and ServerB in order to facilitate the message delivery?

All help is appreciaited.

Stuck at the last step,

Robert Gordon

"Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:

					[ snip ]

>I know I'm overlooking something obvious here.

When you look at the properties of that queue, assuming it's in the
"Retry" state, what's the reason for the queue being in thr retry
state?

>If the mailbox being delivered to isn't on ServerA, given that I'm using an
>external smart host for mail relaying, does ServerA attempt to relay the
>message back off ServerA, and through the Linux relay, to deliver to
>ServerB?  Or does ServerA attempt to create a direct connection between
>itself and ServerB in order to deliver an email it knows is within it's own
>Routing Group?  If the latter is the case, do I need to create a Connector
>between ServerA and ServerB in order to facilitate the message delivery?

Where have you told ServerA to send all mail to the *nix machine? Did
you use the SMTP Virtual Server, or did you create a SMTP Connector?
You really want to use the SMTP Connector in this case. Give it an
address space value of "*".

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

The queue on ServerA simply shows queue attemtping to resend the message in
"retry" state to ServerB.

Currently, the *nix relay is still configured to send all email addressed to
a "mycompany.com" address through ServerA. Since the mailbox that I'm
atempting to send email to is on ServerB, and since ServerA is using the
*nix relay for all recipients not found local to itself, do I need to modify
the *nix relay so that it can relay email from ServerA over to ServerB?

> "Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> >I know I'm overlooking something obvious here.
>
> When you look at the properties of that queue, assuming it's in the
> "Retry" state, what's the reason for the queue being in thr retry
> state?
>
> >If the mailbox being delivered to isn't on ServerA, given that I'm using
an
> >external smart host for mail relaying, does ServerA attempt to relay the
> >message back off ServerA, and through the Linux relay, to deliver to
> >ServerB?  Or does ServerA attempt to create a direct connection between
> >itself and ServerB in order to deliver an email it knows is within it's
own
> >Routing Group?  If the latter is the case, do I need to create a
Connector
> >between ServerA and ServerB in order to facilitate the message delivery?
>
> Where have you told ServerA to send all mail to the *nix machine? Did
> you use the SMTP Virtual Server, or did you create a SMTP Connector?
> You really want to use the SMTP Connector in this case. Give it an
> address space value of "*".
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

The message from the queue states that the connection was dropped by the
remote host, yet I have ServerB set to accept email relaying from Any source
on out internal LAN, so I am starting to believe that the issue lies in how
the *nix SMTP relay is involved.

> "Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:
>
> [ snip ]
>
> >I know I'm overlooking something obvious here.
>
> When you look at the properties of that queue, assuming it's in the
> "Retry" state, what's the reason for the queue being in thr retry
> state?
>
> >If the mailbox being delivered to isn't on ServerA, given that I'm using
an
> >external smart host for mail relaying, does ServerA attempt to relay the
> >message back off ServerA, and through the Linux relay, to deliver to
> >ServerB?  Or does ServerA attempt to create a direct connection between
> >itself and ServerB in order to deliver an email it knows is within it's
own
> >Routing Group?  If the latter is the case, do I need to create a
Connector
> >between ServerA and ServerB in order to facilitate the message delivery?
>
> Where have you told ServerA to send all mail to the *nix machine? Did
> you use the SMTP Virtual Server, or did you create a SMTP Connector?
> You really want to use the SMTP Connector in this case. Give it an
> address space value of "*".
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:

>I use the default virtual SMTP queue's "smart host" entry for forwarding
>mail to the *nix relay.  This configuration works perfectly fine right now,
>as all other inbound/outbound email stil flows exactly as it should.  It's
>only when I attempt sending to recipients on ServerB that the problems
>occur.

Try using the SMTP Connector instead of the VS to control the
smarthost setting.

>The queue on ServerA simply shows queue attemtping to resend the message in
>"retry" state to ServerB.

Yes, but it also tells you why the queue is in the retry state.

>Currently, the *nix relay is still configured to send all email addressed to
>a "mycompany.com" address through ServerA.

If you mean ALL mail, including FQDNs for specific servers, you'll
have a problem.

>Since the mailbox that I'm
>atempting to send email to is on ServerB, and since ServerA is using the
>*nix relay for all recipients not found local to itself, do I need to modify
>the *nix relay so that it can relay email from ServerA over to ServerB?

I pretty sure you need to use the SMTP Connector to make this work.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
"Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:

>The message from the queue states that the connection was dropped by the
>remote host,

That's your *nix box.

>yet I have ServerB set to accept email relaying from Any source
>on out internal LAN, so I am starting to believe that the issue lies in how
>the *nix SMTP relay is involved.

Try the SMTP Connector.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

> "Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:
>
> >I use the default virtual SMTP queue's "smart host" entry for forwarding
> >mail to the *nix relay.  This configuration works perfectly fine right
now,
> >as all other inbound/outbound email stil flows exactly as it should.
It's
> >only when I attempt sending to recipients on ServerB that the problems
> >occur.
>
> Try using the SMTP Connector instead of the VS to control the
> smarthost setting.
>
> >The queue on ServerA simply shows queue attemtping to resend the message
in
> >"retry" state to ServerB.
>
> Yes, but it also tells you why the queue is in the retry state.
>
> >Currently, the *nix relay is still configured to send all email addressed
> >a "mycompany.com" address through ServerA.
>
> If you mean ALL mail, including FQDNs for specific servers, you'll
> have a problem.
>
> >Since the mailbox that I'm
> >atempting to send email to is on ServerB, and since ServerA is using the
> >*nix relay for all recipients not found local to itself, do I need to
modify
> >the *nix relay so that it can relay email from ServerA over to ServerB?
>
> I pretty sure you need to use the SMTP Connector to make this work.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@perlegen.com> wrote:

>Once I create the Connector, should I remove the smarthost setting from the
>SMTP VS?

yes, you should.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Thank you, Rich.

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

Outlook not sending messages from correct POP3 account
I am a tech support person, supporting several companies from my home. Therefore, I have several pop3 email accounts setup on my computer in Outlook. When I reply to an email, I need to make sure that the correct account shows up in the "From" field. This works for some messages, but for others, the email is sent from the wrong account (making me look real bad :-)). This happens even when it says it's going to be sent from the correct account, if I check the sent items afterward, I'll see that it was sent from the wrong account. This is driving me batty and I nee...

calendar problem

problem #4

Automatic printing of sent messages.
Can Outlook 2000 be set-up to automatically print a message immediately after having hit the "send" button? or Can a "Send and Print" button be set up? I'm probable not the only grunt that has to print a hard copy of all outgoing e-mails to be maintained in a physical file folder. To make matters worse, bosses cc: me so that I can print out and file their messages too. Thanks >-----Original Message----- >Can Outlook 2000 be set-up to automatically print a >message immediately after having hit the "send" button? or >Can a "Send a...

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

Importing Message Archival
Hello everyone, I have turned on the message archival under IMS logging to for the purpose of backup. I can open these file with notepad for administrative purposes, but what I really need to do is to import these into a mail box or a pst file so I can read them using outlook. Any input is welcome, Thanks. Calvin wrote: > Hello everyone, > > I have turned on the message archival under IMS logging to for the purpose > of backup. I can open these file with notepad for administrative purposes, > but what I really need to do is to import these into a mail box or a pst >...

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

outlook web access redirect problem

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem

Problem SHAppBarMessage
Hi, I am creating an application bar which shall be displayed always at the top of the screen to show the user certain alerts. I am using the commands SHAppBarMessage(ABM_NEW, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_QUERYPOS, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETPOS, &abd); SetWindowPos(NULL, abd.rc.left, abd.rc.top, abd.rc.right - abd.rc.left, iClientHeight, SWP_NOACTIVATE); Works fine. The problem begins, when I start moving the taskbar. I am catching the event OnSettingChange and my application bar is resizing/moving correctly. BUT: If the taskbar moves to the top and my application bar ...

Lookup() problem
I set up two lists, 200 employees names and 200 employee numbers. A couple of the numbers match the correct names but the rest of the numbers all pull the same employee name. =LOOKUP(C4,List!C4:C204,List!B4:B204) The first time I tried it seemed to pull the correct matching names and numbers then kabui it gets stuck. I tried deleting the entire lists cells and all and starting over but same thing. Anyone ever run into this before? Wayman Don't forget! When using Lookup(), the vector (second argument) must be sorted in ascending order. If it's not, you'll get what you ca...