Problem sending mail from 5.5 to 2003

Hi
we have E2K3 and 5.5 in two different domains. We have configured the ADC
and have migrated 1 mailbox from the 5.5 to the E2K3 box, this worked fine.
We noticed that the mailbox was still listed in the 5.5 admin program, so we
deleted it from there and then opened outlook 2003, thinking that it would
be redirected to the mailbox on the new E2K3 server. This was not the case
as Outlook was still looking to the 5.5 box. We then manually setup Outlook
to the new E2K3 box and opened the mailbox OK.
Now we cannot send mail to the 5.5 mailboxes from the E2K3 mailbox and the
same from 5.5 to E2K3

can anyone explain what has happened
why, once migrated, the mailbox still appeared in the 5.5 organisation
why outlook didn't reconfigure itself
and why we can send mail to 5.5 and 5.5 to E2k3

any help would be greatly appreciated
many thanks
Marcus

"Marcus" <marcus.todd@cheltenham.gov.uk> wrote:

>we have E2K3 and 5.5 in two different domains. We have configured the ADC
>and have migrated 1 mailbox from the 5.5 to the E2K3 box, this worked fine.
>We noticed that the mailbox was still listed in the 5.5 admin program, so we
>deleted it from there and then opened outlook 2003, thinking that it would
>be redirected to the mailbox on the new E2K3 server. This was not the case
>as Outlook was still looking to the 5.5 box. We then manually setup Outlook
>to the new E2K3 box and opened the mailbox OK.
>Now we cannot send mail to the 5.5 mailboxes from the E2K3 mailbox and the
>same from 5.5 to E2K3
>
>can anyone explain what has happened
>why, once migrated, the mailbox still appeared in the 5.5 organisation

Because either the 5.5 directory is damaged or the ADC replication had
a problem. It's not uncommon when moving a mailbox for the 5.5
directory to not get updated, even when moving mailboxes from one 5.5
server to another 5.5 server.

>why outlook didn't reconfigure itself

Outlook just gets the information a directory. If the directory it's
using contains incorrect informations then Outlook will use that
incorrect information.

>and why we can send mail to 5.5 and 5.5 to E2k3

There's not enough information here to tell you that. I may be the
MTA's aren't working (are they started on both servers, are they
logging any errors?). Or it ay be that the directory information's
wrong. Or it may be a DNS problem Or it could be something else
entirely.

How about sharing the error when the message isn't sent?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

My mailbox is not listed in the GAL for the 5.5 users, since it was migrated
and we deleted it from the 5.5 org, but I can see it in the GAL. When I send
a mail to a 5.5 users I do not get a NDR back

> "Marcus" <marcus.todd@cheltenham.gov.uk> wrote:
>
>>we have E2K3 and 5.5 in two different domains. We have configured the ADC
>>and have migrated 1 mailbox from the 5.5 to the E2K3 box, this worked
>>fine.
>>We noticed that the mailbox was still listed in the 5.5 admin program, so
>>we
>>deleted it from there and then opened outlook 2003, thinking that it would
>>be redirected to the mailbox on the new E2K3 server. This was not the case
>>as Outlook was still looking to the 5.5 box. We then manually setup
>>Outlook
>>to the new E2K3 box and opened the mailbox OK.
>>Now we cannot send mail to the 5.5 mailboxes from the E2K3 mailbox and the
>>same from 5.5 to E2K3
>>
>>can anyone explain what has happened
>>why, once migrated, the mailbox still appeared in the 5.5 organisation
>
> Because either the 5.5 directory is damaged or the ADC replication had
> a problem. It's not uncommon when moving a mailbox for the 5.5
> directory to not get updated, even when moving mailboxes from one 5.5
> server to another 5.5 server.
>
>>why outlook didn't reconfigure itself
>
> Outlook just gets the information a directory. If the directory it's
> using contains incorrect informations then Outlook will use that
> incorrect information.
>
>>and why we can send mail to 5.5 and 5.5 to E2k3
>
> There's not enough information here to tell you that. I may be the
> MTA's aren't working (are they started on both servers, are they
> logging any errors?). Or it ay be that the directory information's
> wrong. Or it may be a DNS problem Or it could be something else
> entirely.
>
> How about sharing the error when the message isn't sent?
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for posting here.

After reviewing your problem description, I released that your problem will
be a little complex and more time-consuming since you encountered several
problems during the migration project from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003.
As you may know, the migration project would always be very complex
especially for the migration from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. So I think
our newsgroup is not the proper place to post this problem if it is urgent
to your business. It is recommended that you contact Microsoft Product
Support Services (PSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support
Professional can assist you recover the server in a more efficient manner.
Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a
look at the web site listed below.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for
regional support phone numbers.

Meanwhile, I am happy to provide some personal suggestions regarding this
issue.

Outlook will redirect to the mailbox automatically if it can know its
location from GC or DC. So, the new server Outlook redirect to should be in
the same organization with the old one or the user is still in the same
domain.

For your question why Outlook cannot redirect to the new Exchange server, I
need to know your detail steps of how to move the mailbox from Exchange
server 5.5 to Exchange 2000. And, whether Exchange 5.5 and Exchange 2003
are in the same organization? So, we may also know the reason why the old
mailbox has not been deleted from Exchange 5.5.

For the problem that mail flow is break between the two servers, I also
need to know whether the two servers are in the same organization.
According to the NDR message you get, I suggest referring to the KB below
to see if it can solve the problem

295377 Non-Delivery Report Sending from Exchange Server 5.5 to Exchange
2000 or Exchange 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=295377

If the problem persists, we need to collect more information:

1. Please send the NDR message to me at v-patcai@microsoft.com . Please
make sure to ZIP it before sending to me so that we can reserve the entire
mail header.

2. Please use Message Tracking Center to track the message delivery status
in Exchange 2003. You may also send the track log to me.

246856.KB.EN-US: XADM: How to Enable Message Tracking in Exchange 2000
Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=246856

262162.KB.[LN]: XADM: Using the Message Tracking Center to Track a Message
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=262162

3. Use telnet to test the other site's SMTP server connection. For example,
from Exchange 5.5, try to telnet the SMTP server of Exchange 2003. Does is
connectable? For more information, please refer to

XFOR: Telnet to Port 25 of IMC to Test IMC Communication:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153119

4. Whether you can send external message from both servers?

For more information about how to migrate Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003,
please refer to

Exchange Server 5.5 to Exchange 2000 Server
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316886

Exchange Server 2003 Deployment Guide (Chapter 4: Migrating from Exchange
Server 5.5)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/depguide.
mspx

Exchange Server 2003 Deployment Methodologies (Upgrade, Migration, and
Coexistence)
http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/3/d/f3d76b64-2c16-4948-afab-3232c2d
f285c/WC021203.exe

Hope the information helps.

Regards,

Pat Cai
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada. This and
other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx.

v-patcai (151)
1/28/2005 1:51:52 PM
"Marcus" <marcus.todd@cheltenham.gov.uk> wrote:

>The MTAs are running on both severs, The 5.5 user gets the following NDR
>"the recipient name is not reconised"
>
>My mailbox is not listed in the GAL for the 5.5 users, since it was migrated
>and we deleted it from the 5.5 org, but I can see it in the GAL. When I send
>a mail to a 5.5 users I do not get a NDR back

So this was a move from one organization to another, and not from one
domain to another? That might explain the Outlook not finding the new
mailbox. Does it find the mailbox when you create a new profile and
put in the name of the new Exchange server?

As for the NDR's, the "not recognized" can be caused by a couple of
things

Are you trying to send a NEW message from the new organization to the
old organization? If you are, how are the two connected?

If you're trying to respond to an old message (from a PST, perhaps),
the old message contains the O/R (Originator/Recipient) names from the
old organization and the categorizer in the probably doesn't know
anything about it. You'd have to create a Contact in the AD and assign
to it its old X500 address (from the Obj-Dist-Name property of the
mailbox in the 5.5 organization) and a proxy address that's understood
by whatever connector you have between the two organizations (probably
SMTP).

Pat's given you a lot of other suggestions, one of which is to call
PSS. That's not a bad idea because there are plenty of things that
might not have gone right when you moved that mailbox. If you time's
worth anything the cost of the call will be small compared to hwow
long it might take you to sort through all the different pieces.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
richnews (7316)
1/29/2005 3:55:49 PM
Hi Guys
We created a new organisation in a different domain (a w2K domain). the 5.5
box is in the old domain (NT4).
We have created a AD recipient connector, this is configured as 2 way and we
tried to select an inter-organisation agreement, but this produced the
following error
"Unable to create an inter-organisational agreement using the specified 5.5
server. Agrrements to 5.5 servers in the same organisation need to be
created as intra-organisation"
So it would seem the the connector thinks that the 5.5 server is in the same
organisation.
I have setup a smtp connector in the Exchange System Manger which connects
to the 5.5 box. I can now send mail to users on the 5.5 box but if they
reply the do not recieve a NDR and no mail is delevered to my mailbox.

> "Marcus" <marcus.todd@cheltenham.gov.uk> wrote:
>
>>The MTAs are running on both severs, The 5.5 user gets the following NDR
>>"the recipient name is not reconised"
>>
>>My mailbox is not listed in the GAL for the 5.5 users, since it was
>>migrated
>>and we deleted it from the 5.5 org, but I can see it in the GAL. When I
>>send
>>a mail to a 5.5 users I do not get a NDR back
>
> So this was a move from one organization to another, and not from one
> domain to another? That might explain the Outlook not finding the new
> mailbox. Does it find the mailbox when you create a new profile and
> put in the name of the new Exchange server?
>
> As for the NDR's, the "not recognized" can be caused by a couple of
> things
>
> Are you trying to send a NEW message from the new organization to the
> old organization? If you are, how are the two connected?
>
> If you're trying to respond to an old message (from a PST, perhaps),
> the old message contains the O/R (Originator/Recipient) names from the
> old organization and the categorizer in the probably doesn't know
> anything about it. You'd have to create a Contact in the AD and assign
> to it its old X500 address (from the Obj-Dist-Name property of the
> mailbox in the 5.5 organization) and a proxy address that's understood
> by whatever connector you have between the two organizations (probably
> SMTP).
>
> Pat's given you a lot of other suggestions, one of which is to call
> PSS. That's not a bad idea because there are plenty of things that
> might not have gone right when you moved that mailbox. If you time's
> worth anything the cost of the call will be small compared to hwow
> long it might take you to sort through all the different pieces.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Hi Marcus,

Thanks for your reply.

After reviewing your threads again, I am afraid that I am still not quite
sure about your situation, especially your Exchange Server/networking
topology. So could you describe your topology as well as how you migrate
your Exchange Server as much as detail so that we can better understand
your situation? Also, as you may understand that troubleshooting such a
complex migration issue in newsgroup is very time-consuming, I would still
suggest you call your local Microsoft PSS to accelerate troubleshooting
procedure and fix the problem more quickly. Your understanding and
cooperation is appreciated!

Anyway, here I'd like to provide you some additional information based on
your reply. For the ADC problem, the error message indicates that the
Exchange 5.5 server is in the same org with Exchange 2003 server. However,
based on your previous description, the situation is on the contrary. So, I
need your help to collect an Exchange information dump to help me
understand the situation clearly. Please run ExchDump tool on the Exchange
2003 server and send the outcome to me at my working e-mail address:
v-patcai@microsoft.com .For detail information about the ExchDump tool,
please refer to the following Knowledge Base article:

Overview of the ExchDump tool for Exchange 2000 Server and for Exchange
Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/id=839116

For the mail flow problem, I still need to know the current network
architecture first. If the two servers are in different orgs, then we
should add an email connector on both sides since the connector works for
one-way. Now you have added a connector from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 5.5,
so the mail flow from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 5.5 is connectable. Also,
we should add an Internet Mail Connector (IMC) on the Exchange 5.5 side to
contact Exchange 2003 server. To do so, please refer to:

196927 XIMS: How to Configure a Single Domain with Connected Sites via IMS
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=196927

If the problem persists, we may perform some troubleshooting steps to test
the connection from Exchange 5.5 server to Exchange 2003 server. Please
refer to:

XFOR: Telnet to Port 25 of IMC to Test IMC Communication:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=153119

191548 Troubleshooting Guide for the Internet Mail Connector/Internet Mail
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=191548

Hope the information helps.

Regards,

Pat Cai
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada. This and
other support options are available here:

BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=%2finternational.aspx.

v-patcai (151)

Problem shortcuts in Word

5.5.0 smtp;550 Denied by policy
I have a server running win2003 and exchange 2003. When sending to one email address the following bouncback message is received, "There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <ascrs_2k.ascrs.local #5.5.0 smtp;550 Denied by policy.> " The server sending the message is our exchange server. I am not sure where a policy was set that could be denying this from being sent out. Any help would be appreciated. Jeff_S <Jeff_S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a server running win2003 a...

Outlook 2003 PST problems

having trouble with windows mail
The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems sending e-mail" section. If you need help determining the proper server settings, please contact your e-mail service provider. The rejected e-mail address was 'Foreverzetaclassy@live.com'. Subject 'Application Data For Mental Health Worker', Account: 'pop3.aol.com', Server: 'smtp.aol.com', Pr...

Outlook 2007 and Windows 7
After installing Office 2007 on Windows 7 machine, I get no new mail sound, pop up notifications or the new unread mail icon in task bar. Every thing else seems to work fine. Any hints? are the icons in the overflow? -- -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What v...

Outlook not sending messages from correct POP3 account
I am a tech support person, supporting several companies from my home. Therefore, I have several pop3 email accounts setup on my computer in Outlook. When I reply to an email, I need to make sure that the correct account shows up in the "From" field. This works for some messages, but for others, the email is sent from the wrong account (making me look real bad :-)). This happens even when it says it's going to be sent from the correct account, if I check the sent items afterward, I'll see that it was sent from the wrong account. This is driving me batty and I nee...

Problem with Authentication

Multiple e-mails #4
How many e-mails can be sent at once with outlook express Multiple e-mails wrote: || How many e-mails can be sent at once with outlook express This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97/98/2000/2002/2003 from the Office suite of products. Outlook Express is actually a separate program despite the similar name. For help with your OE questions, try an OE newsgroup such as microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress (for OE 6), or an OE help website such as http://insideOE.tomsterdam.com. If you're accessing the Microsoft newsgroups through the MS Product Support Services &...

Trying to remove the last Exchange 5.5 server from my site
I ran the exchange administrator from my 2003 exchange server and tried to delete the 5.5 server. I get an error message: "Extension 'MSFB' could not be loaded". Has anyone seen this? Thanks, Rusty http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822450&Product=ech E "Rusty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:367e01c3aa25$d8731b40$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I ran the exchange administrator from my 2003 exchange > server and tried to delete the 5.5 server. I get an error > message: "Extension 'MSFB'...

How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003?
How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003? That need some explaining. Excel genially goes use variables but rather uses cell references. Cells can be given names (such as x) but it is not required. Tell use more about what you wish to accomplish best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Givens" <Givens@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4ACE70A4-D4EC-4B79-8552-B7BA11BE9B38@microsoft.com... > How do I assign X = the value of 1 in a cell in Excell 2003? Put a 1 into any cell - let'...

calendar problem

Create a Variable from First 4-5 chars of a existing value ??
In a current table, the values in a particular field are all items like: MD45 Tuesday PM or TX341 Friday AM or FL12 Monday PM ...in other words...2 parts seperated by a space. The first part is always a State Abbrv. followed by either a 2 or 3 char. number. That first part will always be 4-5 characters long (or...everthing before the first Space). I'm needing to create a varible that is the First Part of the existing value.. ..in other words...the variable would need to be (from the above examples)... MD45 or TX341 or FL12 I'm kind of familiar with LEFT command. Would usin...

Exchange 2003 #6
How do I save the messages on my Exchange (20030 Server rather than the workstations??? ...

problem #4

Need to change Autofilters behaviour in Excel 2003
Hello, Does anybody knows how to change the color of the triangle arrow on the column titles of autofilter ranges? Presently, when a filter is put on one column, the arrow for this column is changed from black to very dark blue. I need to change this color, so that this becomes more visible. At our office, my boss cannot make any difference between these two colors. This is a problem for daily work. Thanks in advance for any help. Bertrand from Tokyo, Japan see response to your earlier posting -- Regards Roger Govier Bertrand wrote: > Hello, > > Does any...

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

Won't send/receive emails automatically
I am able to send and receive emails, but only if I click the send/receive button. I have checked the settings and it IS set to send automatically but it doesn't. Can anyone help? >-----Original Message----- >I am able to send and receive emails, but only if I click >the send/receive button. I have checked the settings and >it IS set to send automatically but it doesn't. Can >anyone help? >. >We have had that happen when Outlook was working offline. We could if you posted your Outlook version and what settings you checked. Did you set up an automa...

Office 2007 - HELP

Outlook 2003 won't save password in pop3 account settings
I am trying to set my email account settings to remember my password and it still prompts me everytime I send or receive email for the password. If I type it in, I have no trouble connecting and getting mail though. I am working through a citrix terminal to connect to outlook 2003 running on our company server. Is this a known bug? Is there a patch? Help! Sean Cartwright ...

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems