Problem recovering deleted public folder

One of our administrators started cleaning out stale public folders from our
Exchange 2003 server. It's the only Exchange server on the network. It turns
out one of the folders was still being used. The deleted folder shows up in
the "recover deleted items" dialog box in Outlook 2003, and also shows up in
the same view from OWA. However, when we try to recover the folder we get
errors. The retention time is a week, and a week from deletion will be this
Thursday 8/11/05.

The error from Outlook 2003:
Outlook was unable to recover some or all of the items in this folder. Make
sure you have the required permissions to recover items in this folder, and
try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator.

From OWA:
Some items can't be deleted. They were either moved, already deleted, or
access was denied.

I have tried this from my account, the administrator account (which was
likely used to take ownership of the folder and delete it) and the Exchange
server service account. I have tried granting all manner of permissions,
with no luck.

The only other interesting piece of information comes from adsi edit, which
shows me several copies (likely created after trying this recovery several
times) of the folder listed with (recovered) after it within the
CN=Microsoft Exchange System Objects,DC=domain,DC=com container. I've
checked out the attributes within the object but they seem to be the same as
other working public folders. The only difference I can see right off is
that the msExchMailboxSecurityDescriptor attribute has an empty value,
rather than <Not Set>.

Any clues?

Make sure you are attempting to recover the folder with an account that has
Owner permissions on the parent PF.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Brian L." <699df88b-2059788708@news.postalias> wrote in message
> One of our administrators started cleaning out stale public folders from
> our Exchange 2003 server. It's the only Exchange server on the network. It
> turns out one of the folders was still being used. The deleted folder
> shows up in the "recover deleted items" dialog box in Outlook 2003, and
> also shows up in the same view from OWA. However, when we try to recover
> the folder we get errors. The retention time is a week, and a week from
> deletion will be this Thursday 8/11/05.
>
> The error from Outlook 2003:
> Outlook was unable to recover some or all of the items in this folder.
> Make sure you have the required permissions to recover items in this
> folder, and try again. If the problem persists, contact your
> administrator.
>
> From OWA:
> Some items can't be deleted. They were either moved, already deleted, or
> access was denied.
>

> I have tried this from my account, the administrator account (which was
> likely used to take ownership of the folder and delete it) and the
> Exchange server service account. I have tried granting all manner of
> permissions, with no luck.
>
> The only other interesting piece of information comes from adsi edit,
> which shows me several copies (likely created after trying this recovery
> several times) of the folder listed with (recovered) after it within the
> CN=Microsoft Exchange System Objects,DC=domain,DC=com container. I've
> checked out the attributes within the object but they seem to be the same
> as other working public folders. The only difference I can see right off
> is that the msExchMailboxSecurityDescriptor attribute has an empty value,
> rather than <Not Set>.
>
> Any clues?

0
Ben
8/9/2005 2:15:13 PM
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:19:45 -0400, "Brian L."
<699df88b-2059788708@news.postalias> wrote:

>One of our administrators started cleaning out stale public folders from our
>Exchange 2003 server. It's the only Exchange server on the network. It turns
>out one of the folders was still being used. The deleted folder shows up in
>the "recover deleted items" dialog box in Outlook 2003, and also shows up in
>the same view from OWA. However, when we try to recover the folder we get
>errors. The retention time is a week, and a week from deletion will be this
>Thursday 8/11/05.
>
>The error from Outlook 2003:
>Outlook was unable to recover some or all of the items in this folder. Make
>sure you have the required permissions to recover items in this folder, and
>try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator.
>
>From OWA:
>Some items can't be deleted. They were either moved, already deleted, or
>access was denied.
>

>I have tried this from my account, the administrator account (which was
>likely used to take ownership of the folder and delete it) and the Exchange
>server service account. I have tried granting all manner of permissions,
>with no luck.
>
>The only other interesting piece of information comes from adsi edit, which
>shows me several copies (likely created after trying this recovery several
>times) of the folder listed with (recovered) after it within the
>CN=Microsoft Exchange System Objects,DC=domain,DC=com container. I've
>checked out the attributes within the object but they seem to be the same as
>other working public folders. The only difference I can see right off is
>that the msExchMailboxSecurityDescriptor attribute has an empty value,
>rather than <Not Set>.
>
>Any clues?

Grab a copy of pfdavadmin and see if you can restore the folder. I
find it much more dependable than using Outlook.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/pss/tools/Exchange%20Support%20Tools/PFDavAdmin/

0
adavid (8731)
8/9/2005 2:30:49 PM
Absolutely fantastic. The tool worked like a charm. Thanks!

(Now why can't Outlook 2003 and OWA do this?)

"Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:19:45 -0400, "Brian L."
> <699df88b-2059788708@news.postalias> wrote:
>
>>One of our administrators started cleaning out stale public folders from
>>our
>>Exchange 2003 server. It's the only Exchange server on the network. It
>>turns
>>out one of the folders was still being used. The deleted folder shows up
>>in
>>the "recover deleted items" dialog box in Outlook 2003, and also shows up
>>in
>>the same view from OWA. However, when we try to recover the folder we get
>>errors. The retention time is a week, and a week from deletion will be
>>this
>>Thursday 8/11/05.
>>
>>The error from Outlook 2003:
>>Outlook was unable to recover some or all of the items in this folder.
>>Make
>>sure you have the required permissions to recover items in this folder,
>>and
>>try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator.
>>
>>From OWA:
>>Some items can't be deleted. They were either moved, already deleted, or
>>access was denied.
>>

>>I have tried this from my account, the administrator account (which was
>>likely used to take ownership of the folder and delete it) and the
>>Exchange
>>server service account. I have tried granting all manner of permissions,
>>with no luck.
>>
>>The only other interesting piece of information comes from adsi edit,
>>which
>>shows me several copies (likely created after trying this recovery several
>>times) of the folder listed with (recovered) after it within the
>>CN=Microsoft Exchange System Objects,DC=domain,DC=com container. I've
>>checked out the attributes within the object but they seem to be the same
>>as
>>other working public folders. The only difference I can see right off is
>>that the msExchMailboxSecurityDescriptor attribute has an empty value,
>>rather than <Not Set>.
>>
>>Any clues?
>>

> Grab a copy of pfdavadmin and see if you can restore the folder. I
> find it much more dependable than using Outlook.
>

> ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/pss/tools/Exchange%20Support%20Tools/PFDavAdmin/

Hi Brian,

Thanks for posting here. And thanks Andy and Ben for sharing experience. I
am glad you have successfully resolved the issue. For your information, I
would like to summarize several methods to recover Deleted Public Folder.

Method 1: OWA

1. Click on public folders, it will open up a new windows with the public
folder structure.
2. Browse to the parent folder of the delete object, right click on the
parent public folder and select "Open in New..."
3. Change the URL http://servername/public/toplevel/subfolder/?cmd=content
to http://servername/public/toplevel/subfolder/?cmd=showdeleted&btnClose=1.
4. Find the deleted folder, highlighted the folder, and clicked Recover.

Method 2: PFDVAAdmin

1. Download the utility from:
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/PSS/Tools/Exchange%20Support%20Tools/PFDavAdmin/.
2. Open IIS manager console, go to Web Sites\Default Web Site.
3. Open the Properties of ��Public�� virtual directory, go to ��Directory
Security�� tab, click Edit button for Secure Communications.
4. Uncheck the ��Require secure channel�� option.
5. Repeat step 2 and step 3 on ��Exchadmin�� virtual directory.
6. Extract and run the pfdavadmin.exe application.
7. Click File -> Connect and input ��Localhost�� as the server name, select
��Public Folders�� and click OK.
8. You will be able to see all public folders and system folders.
Right-click 'Public Folders' and choose 'Show deleted subfolders'
9. You will see the deleted folder in red color. Right-click the deleted
folder and choose 'Recover folder'.

Method 3: MFCMAPI

You can download MFCMAPI utility by the web link below.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/9/f/49f2ce91-72c5-45f5-9849-401cd9b
86d67/mfcmapi_bin.exe

1. Choose Session, and then Logon and Display Stores
2. Choose your profile, and then select OK (chose a profile that has
Administrator permissions) Mailbox used resided on the Home server with the
PF.
3. Double-clicked the Public Folders entry
4. In the new window for the Public Folders; expand Public Root
5. Expand IPM_SUBTREE, and then navigate to the contact folder which
contains the deleted items.
6. Click Action menu, then click Open Deleted contents table.
7. A new window opened for the Deleted contents table in this folder;
8. Click each one respectively, click Actions menu, click Copy messages.
9. In original window for the Public Folders, right click the Contact
Folder which contains the deleted items, click Copy.
10. Then the message will be recovered to the original folder.

Hope this helps. If there is anything we can do in the future, feel free to
let us know. Thanks and have a nice day!

Lee Li

Microsoft Online Partner Support

v-leeli (179)

Problem shortcuts in Word

Outlook 2003 PST problems

Problem with Authentication

Exmerge-type Public Folder utility?
Does anyone know of an Exmerge-type utility that would allow me to export PF items to a PST? We've got some overly large folders I would like to back up or delete items from. I don't want to go through the Outlook client. Thanks You can also age/expire PF posts rather than deleting manually. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "ZLorca" <zlorca2004@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:dik0db0mr4@news1.newsguy.com... > Does anyone know of an Exmerge-type utility that would allow me to export > PF items to a PST? We've got some over...

calendar problem

problem #4

95 and 97 problem

Date problem

sync problems

Office 2007 - HELP

Installation Problem!!

Resource editor problems

Directory Replication Problem #2

Cell Format

Email a publication
I am trying to email a publication. I have Outlook 2007 and Publisher 2007 but I continue to get the message "Publisher cannot complete the operation". Help! -- lindafromva If you've created the publication in publisher, it's best to convert it to a PDF before sending - if the person you're emailing doesn't have Publisher (alot of folks don't), they won't be able to open it. Convert to a PDF using Adobe, then attach it to your email. That should work. "Lindafromva" wrote: > I am trying to email a publication. I have Outlook 2007 and Pu...

outlook web access redirect problem

Deleted Journals from SQL
I use RMS 2.0 with 2005 Express server, the data reached upto 169 MB 100% used I deleted Journals befor Dec 31,07 as DELETE Journal where time < getdate()-377, Ran the query on my database, which worked fine. However, it made the database size nearly 36 MB more available space. Then I ran the ShrinkDatabase script dbcc shrinkdatabase (MyDatabaseName) but it went back to roughly the same size again Size: 145Mb Space Available: 6.43 Mb Usage: 89% I run again DELETE Journal & then ShrinkDatabase script but available space went back to less space Size: 145Mb Space Available: 3.54Mb ...

Can't Delete E-Mails in Outlook 2007
I can't delete one of my e-mails. Has anyone else ever experienced this? No, my emails delete when pressed and delete upon close. Why don't = yours? Any error messages? What type of account? IMAP? =20 --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, chrisma asked: | I can't delete one of my e-mails. Has anyone else ever experienced | this? ...

Problem after sorting

IF AND problem

Problem SHAppBarMessage
Hi, I am creating an application bar which shall be displayed always at the top of the screen to show the user certain alerts. I am using the commands SHAppBarMessage(ABM_NEW, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_QUERYPOS, &abd); SHAppBarMessage(ABM_SETPOS, &abd); SetWindowPos(NULL, abd.rc.left, abd.rc.top, abd.rc.right - abd.rc.left, iClientHeight, SWP_NOACTIVATE); Works fine. The problem begins, when I start moving the taskbar. I am catching the event OnSettingChange and my application bar is resizing/moving correctly. BUT: If the taskbar moves to the top and my application bar ...