priv.edb file growing with no explanation

HI

I have what seems to be a common problem without a straight answer.  My priv.edb database is growing with no explanation, I am currently running Small Business server 2003 server and exchanage 2003.  The clients vary from outlook 2k to 2k3. I have went through and cleaned out everyone's sent folder and deleted items folder, also I had everyone reduce there mailbox size by archiving thier old emails. I have performed and online and off-line defrag and still only gained back 1GB. This is puzzling because my users email database sizes only adds up to 7GB and the (priv.edb) file is approaching 15GB. I have a 7GB difference in this file and I don't know where the space  is going. All the queues are empty because we forward our mail from our external site so exchange is not doing SMTP service for this site. I do have a couple of mail enable public folders but the mail in those folders are minimal.  This is a problem because  I have a lot of consultants on the road and remote which use OWA heavily, and if this 16GB max is reached OWA does not open new email. Any help is appreciated so I can finally get this off my plate

Thanks

Kraven
0
anonymous (74721)

Kraven,

The next time online maintenance runs look for Event: 1221. This will tell
you how much free space you have within the database. With Exchange when you
delete an object that resides within the database it marks that database
page as blank. The database will not shrink until an offline defrag is done.
It is possible that you have 8GB of white space within the database. The
best thing to do is search for Event 1221 and it will tell you the amount of
white space within the database.

You can perform an offline defrag by running an "Eseutil /d" against the
database. I do caution you though, you may need free drive space totaling
the amount of the database x2. As the defrag process runs a new file is
created and only the database pages containing relevant information are
copied to the new database. You need to be certain that you have enough
hardware. A defrag process any where from 6GB to 8GB to run so you will need
a maintenance window as well. I hope this answers all of your questions.

--
Jared Gradle
Exchange Support Engineer

****** Disclaimer ******

Note: Please do NOT reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.

"kraven" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> HI,
>
> I have what seems to be a common problem without a straight answer.  My
> priv.edb database is growing with no explanation, I am currently running
> Small Business server 2003 server and exchanage 2003.  The clients vary
> from outlook 2k to 2k3. I have went through and cleaned out everyone's
> sent folder and deleted items folder, also I had everyone reduce there
> mailbox size by archiving thier old emails. I have performed and online
> and off-line defrag and still only gained back 1GB. This is puzzling
> because my users email database sizes only adds up to 7GB and the
> (priv.edb) file is approaching 15GB. I have a 7GB difference in this file
> and I don't know where the space  is going. All the queues are empty
> because we forward our mail from our external site so exchange is not
> doing SMTP service for this site. I do have a couple of mail enable public
> folders but the mail in those folders are minimal.  This is a problem
> because  I have a lot of consultants on the road and remote which use OWA
> heavily, and if this 16GB max is reached OWA does not open new email. Any
> help is appreciated so I can finally get this off my plate.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kraven

0
jaredg (55)
5/24/2004 9:46:11 PM
Thank you for your input, but I already did an offline defragmentation and this only gained me 1GB.  I also checked for 1221 events after the defrag and it states that I have 3 MB of free space.  So you see my delima, of where has the  space gone is it on the server on the client or is it just gone into the great beyond?  If the system is correct in determining the space why do i have such and Inconsistency in the space? Is there a way to recreate this file and not lose email?

Thanks

Kraven
0
anonymous (74721)
5/24/2004 11:51:11 PM
On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:51:11 -0700, kraven

>Thank you for your input, but I already did an offline defragmentation and this only gained me 1GB.  I also checked for 1221 events after the defrag and it states that I have 3 MB of free space.  So you see my delima, of where has the  space gone is it on the server on the client or is it just gone into the great beyond?  If the system is correct in determining the space why do i have such and Inconsistency in the space? Is there a way to recreate this file and not lose email?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Kraven

In Exchange System Manager, navigate to the mailboxes part of the
information store; from there you can see how much space each of the
mailboxes is taking up.
Exmerge may also be able to help: if there really is a problem with
the database exporting all of the mailboxes and importing them into a
new store may help, note that you loose Single Instance Storage if you
do this so you may actually end up with a larger database than before
- still, no harm in trying!

malc
0
malc1 (7)
5/25/2004 9:29:55 AM
On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:29:55 +0100, malc <malc@SPAMgothcorp.co.uk>
wrote:

>On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:51:11 -0700, kraven
>
>>Thank you for your input, but I already did an offline defragmentation and this only gained me 1GB.  I also checked for 1221 events after the defrag and it states that I have 3 MB of free space.  So you see my delima, of where has the  space gone is it on the server on the client or is it just gone into the great beyond?  If the system is correct in determining the space why do i have such and Inconsistency in the space? Is there a way to recreate this file and not lose email?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Kraven
>

>In Exchange System Manager, navigate to the mailboxes part of the
>information store; from there you can see how much space each of the
>mailboxes is taking up.
>Exmerge may also be able to help: if there really is a problem with
>the database exporting all of the mailboxes and importing them into a
>new store may help, note that you loose Single Instance Storage if you
>do this so you may actually end up with a larger database than before
>- still, no harm in trying!
>
>malc

As an afterthought:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/me2kmfs.mspx

may be of some interest.

malc
0
malc1 (7)
5/25/2004 10:07:18 AM
Also be sure to take a look at Deleted Items retention in the properties of
the Mailbox Store. How many days of Deleted Items are you retaining.

If you are retaining 7 days of Deleted Items and the users just removed all
of this information out their mailboxes within the last 7 days, it is
probably still in the Deleted Items retention. Note, this is different from
the Deleted Items folder in their Mailbox. Once items are permanently
deleted (removed from Deleted Items in the mailbox or Shift-Deleted from
another folder), they enter the Deleted Items retention (dumpster) in the
store. Set the Deleted Items retention to 0 temporarily and then let the
online maintenance/defrag run - my bet is you will see the 1221 event
report a ton of free space at that point.

Thanks,
Richard Roddy
Microsoft Exchange Support

--------------------
>From: malc <malc@SPAMgothcorp.co.uk>
>Newsgroups: microsoft.public.exchange.admin
>Subject: Re: priv.edb file growing with no explanation
>Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:07:18 +0100
>
>On Tue, 25 May 2004 10:29:55 +0100, malc <malc@SPAMgothcorp.co.uk>
>wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 24 May 2004 16:51:11 -0700, kraven
>><anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Thank you for your input, but I already did an offline defragmentation
and this only gained me 1GB.  I also checked for 1221 events after the
defrag and it states that I have 3 MB of free space.  So you see my delima,
of where has the  space gone is it on the server on the client or is it
just gone into the great beyond?  If the system is correct in determining
the space why do i have such and Inconsistency in the space? Is there a way
to recreate this file and not lose email?

>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>Kraven
>>

>>In Exchange System Manager, navigate to the mailboxes part of the
>>information store; from there you can see how much space each of the
>>mailboxes is taking up.
>>Exmerge may also be able to help: if there really is a problem with
>>the database exporting all of the mailboxes and importing them into a
>>new store may help, note that you loose Single Instance Storage if you
>>do this so you may actually end up with a larger database than before
>>- still, no harm in trying!
>>
>>malc
>
>As an afterthought:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2000/library/me2kmfs.
mspx

>may be of some interest.
>
>malc

0
rroddy (682)

Make a file save and close itself based on the value of a cell
If Sheet1!A1's value is = 1, then I would like for the file to save and then close itself. Is this possible? Thanks in advance. Michael Try this Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const WS_RANGE As String = "A1" '<== change to suit On Error GoTo ws_exit Application.EnableEvents = False If Not Intersect(Target, Me.Range(WS_RANGE)) Is Nothing Then If Target.Value = 1 Then Parent.Save Parent.Close End If End If ws_exit: Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub &...

Matching cells and files
Is it possible? I have a folder, which contains files named "1", "2" & "3" and then I have cells including names of those files, ie "1", "2" & "3". Is there a wonderful formula that can fast and easily match and hyperlink the cell with the appropriate file in the folder? Check your other post. suddengunfire wrote: > > Is it possible? > > I have a folder, which contains files named "1", "2" & "3" > > and then I have cells including names of those files, ie "1"...

attached files
I am sending a word document as an attached file in Outlook 2000 - - -when the person receives the file the attachemnt is a webmail.dat file??? Any clues as to why this is happening??? I was having issues in Outlook express ( would try to delete some sent email and in the process it would freeze up the computer) so switched to Outlook hoping that would cure my ills. Also as an aside have begun to experience problems with digrag ( doesn't!!!/ can't) and cd burner giver error messageof Write error - buffer underrun occurred. Change the format of your outgoing messages to HT...

activex and loading a file
hi, my activex control that i have written starts with internet explorer and is registered with media files. (double click on the media file opens internet explorer and loads the activex control) now i want to load the document after the control has been created. i have not found any tips yet. if anybody has an idea.. thanks thomas ...

PRIV.EDB & PRIV.STM permissions
I was unable to mount my Private information store and the log showed access denied. I gave everyone full permissions and it mounts just fine. What are the permissions supposed to be and how could they change? Thank you. Hi Andy, Not sure what version of Exchange you are running, but in Exchange 2003 the Mdbdata folder and the mdb stm files contained within that folder require the following permissions: Administrators: Full Authenticated Users: Read & Execute, list folder contents, read Creator Owner: None Server Operators Modify, Read & Execute, List Folder Contents, Read, W...

reduce the size of the file
I delete some data on the file,and how do I reduce the size of the file? For example:The file size is 500K bytes.I want to delete 100K bytes on the end of the file,and change the size file 400K. I don't want to create a new file as a temporary file to swap.How do I do? Thanks. ___________________________________ http://www.msale.net/bbs a Chinese-language message board for developers,including palm,ppc,symbian,and etc. http://www.zirong.net/blog/ Miken's private life "Miken" <mikenwonder@msn.com> wrote in message news:OPRuIk7AFHA.2804@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... &...

Excel file size #5
Dave, Thanks. Unfortunatley I am saving in the correct format. The really strange things is I open the file after the macro has save it down, I then save it and it returns to the correct size. Thanks Richar -- richard12 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- richard123's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1555 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27123 I've seen some posts that suggest that when strange things like this happen, it maybe be because a workbook is corrupted. If you...

What can I use to view a Publisher file?
I have MS Office, but not Publisher. I need to view one file that has been sent to me. Is there a utility, or facility within Office, to do this? Thanks for any help. -- Alan F Cross The short answer is nope. You can ask the sender to make it available to you in another format, i.e., pdf or word or Send the file for someone to convert it for you. You are welcome to try to send it to me (it may be too large for email) and I'll convert it for you if the file was made with Pub 2000 or earlier. -- Don My real address is: dschmidtATpacifierDOTcom. "Alan F Cross" <alan...

detecting text file
Hi is it simple way to detect that file is in plain text format or binary? Regards, SunFire SunFire wrote: > Hi > is it simple way to detect that file is in plain text format or binary? > > Regards, SunFire > > the most common algorithm is to hunt for unprintable characters (most notably 0) within the file. I know of no API offhand that can do this. -kz Just don't forget Unicode/UTF encodings, if you do consider this to be plain text. This text can easily includes 0 on every second position - which, in turn, can be used for recognition (in addition to EF...

Upload file
Hi All, I am very new to publisher. This is my first time come across and use this software. I am currently creating a web site for my company. Can anyone advice me how can i have a link which browser web site can download a PDF file and i also can as and when do upadte to the file? Thanks! Mavis wrote: > Hi All, > > I am very new to publisher. This is my first time come across and use > this software. I am currently creating a web site for my company. > Can anyone advice me how can i have a link which browser web site can > download a PDF file and i also can as and whe...

Defraging the priv store with Eseutil
We have Exchange 5.5 Our priv database is around 13.5 gig. If you add up all the mailboxes, we have no more than 4 gig total. Not long ago, we took Exchange off line and did a defrag with Eseutil. It took about 4 hours, and it only decreased by maybe 500 meg. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Here's what the nightly online defrag showed from last night: 1am 38 meg free 1:50 4724 meg free 2am 38 meg free 3am 38 meg free 4am 38 meg free 5am 38 meg free I'm just worried about the getting close to the 16 gig limit. It usually hovers around 13.5 - 14 gig. check your e...

Multiple Access Files Created
I have created a basic MS Access database application for a remote customer. The database functions correctly and I have thoruoghly tested it on my system. However, my customer informs me that everytime he opens the database another file is being created (not the locking file) in the file system titled 'database1'. As the file is opened multiple times, files are sequentially created 'database2', 'database3', etc. I cannot recreate this anomoly and quite frankly am baffled. Does anyone know what may be causing this problem. I am having difficulty troublesho...

Can't open Outlook 2000 pst file in Outlook 2007
Hi I'm unable to import Outlook 2000 archived pst file into Office 2007 after upgrading my laptop to Vista from XP and Microsoft Office to 2007 from 2000. The attempt to open the pst file fails with the message: "File access denied. You do not have the permission required to access the file." As far as I know, no passwords apply to the file, and when I click on Properties/Security it shows to allow full access. Does anyone know how I can import my old Outlook folder? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sam how did you move it to the vista machine? is...

How do I get MS Converter (download) to convert a Quatro V9 file?
I have downloaded the MS converter and installed it in MS Office folder. I am trying to convert a Quatro V. 9 (Word Perfect 2000) file. I am using Excel 2003 and have tried to open the file. It does not recognize the file format and does not appear to even look for the file conversion utility? Any help out there? ...

new user login problem using existing Money file.
I moved my home computers to a Windows domain with domain-based logins. Previously, I accessed a Money 2003 file on the server from a machine-specific login. Now, when I open that file under my Domain login (and it does open fine, no permissions problems) I can't see my accounts, transactions, etc. (Thank God I didn't nuke that machine account!) When I return to the machine account, everything's still there. How can access the existing data from the new account login? Thanks in advance. Anybody even going to take a whack at this one?? Domain security and authentication is...

File/Send/Page by E-mail; File/Send/Link by E-mail links grayed ou
win7 Ult. IE 8 v8.0.7600.16385 Windows Live Mail version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.0726) All updates have been installed installed. When In IE8, I try to send a link via email I am not able to; as the menu options are grayed out. What is the solution to this with only WLM installed. "JoKing" <JoKing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FCD4C8C2-E373-488D-BE7C-30E00FE3F398@microsoft.com... > win7 Ult. IE 8 v8.0.7600.16385 Windows Live Mail version 2009 (Build > 14.0.8089.0726) All updates have been installed installed. > > When In IE...

How to open large HTML FILES IN EXCEL In quick Time
hi, i am using the following code to generate a xls file using the content type now when the user opnes the file at his pc it takes long time to open..if the no of records in file is large does the use of html tags has slow down the process of opening in excel... does speical care needs to be taken so that large html files open in excel quiclky..................... Please advise your feedback.... Response.ContentType = "application/vnd.ms-excel" Response.Write("<basefont face=""Arial Narrow"" size = ""2"" color=""#00000...

Files to download!
I want to place files on my web-unit created in the program "Publisher", that them could download the visitors. How it can be made? Publishing Web sites http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH063577001033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Charley" <Charley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:461B7DD5-5958-499A-9579-877F4B407ECB@microsoft.com... >I want to place files on my web-unit created in the program "Publisher", that > them could download the visi...

Reading in XML file, changing elements and saving back to the file
Hi Reading in XML file, changing elements and saving back to the file, how can i do that, I want to be able to read an XML file and read out Elements. for example <name>Tom</tom> When I read from a file i want to save the XML document in memory of the computer and when i am finished flush it back to the file, that means i want to be able to access the element in memory of the computer and when i change it will write it back with new changes. What is the Best way to do that ? I have tried it wiht xmlReader and xmlWrite, this is not saved in the computer. Gerald Maher wrote: &...

Sharing an excel file onto webserver?
MS Excel 2002 (SP2) Windows2000/XP/Linux webserver Hi Newbie question: Is it possible to put a spreadsheet up onto a webserver and have different members of our company (who are located in different cities[!]) each access the same file. Ideally it would lock itself if anyone was trying to do edit /update the spreadsheet, so as to stop anyone else from over-writing their content at the same time... - Is this possible... anyone tried it?! Ship Shiperton Henethe I have managed to get two PCs *reading* the same copy of an Excel (2002)...

Outlook Problem
I am using Outlook 2000, with an active and archive files (outlook.pst and archive.pst files). Everything wa OK until yesterday, when a family member was messing around with my Outlook data. It now appears that these 2 data diles are being used by the Outlook application program in opposite ways, ie, the archive file appears to be active, and the outlook.pst file appears to be the archive file. Specific characteristics are as follows: 1) On the top of the "Outlook Today" page, it used to show "Personal Folders - Outlook Today". Now it shows on the top of the page &...

Excel file saved as csv
I have an excel file that I save in a csv format. There are some columns that have numbers in them with zeros as the first numbers that have to remain (i.e. 001234). The zeros are in the excel file with whatever cell format I use, but when I save it as a csv and then bring up the csv file, the zeros are dropped. Any ideas? Hi, Kathy; That only happens when you open the .csv with Excel. Open with notepad, and you will see the leading zeros. I assume you are saving in .csv format so you can use that data in some other program. Do the zeros show up in that program? Regards, Ian. "...

priv.edb #4
After clearing user mailboxes the priv.edb does not change in size. The databases only shrink in size when you run an offline defrag using something like ESEUTIL. When you delete data or mailboxes or PFs, the databases will have more whitespace within and will put new data in that whitespace rather than expand the database file size unnecessarily. "m.page (removethis) @hea.gdst.net" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2a4ad01c4659e$71609650$a301280a@phx.gbl... > After clearing user mailboxes the priv.edb does not change > in size. ...

EFT File regeneration
We have a situation where the EFT for Payables file only added the two header records to the EFT file even though there are vendors to be paid. Is there way to regenerate the EFT file w/o having to void the original documents and reselect them for EFT payment? This is GP 9. ...

5.5 priv.edb not compacting
hello: I have run eseutil /d and our information store does not compact--if I add up the mailbox sizes it comes to a little over 10GB. the priv.edb is at 15,982,600 after compacting--three times.. i've cleaned out plenty of mailboxes and there shouldnt be 15.9GB of data in there. subsequent defrags do not make it any smaller. can anyone tell me what is going on? i've searched and asked fellow colleagues and no one has experienced this. ? thank you. naseem "pogo" <nas33ms3@hotmail.com> wrote: >I have run eseutil /d and our information store does not compact--if ...