Primary server offline (for good)

My primary server crashed hard on me.  I tried restoring, but obviously my
disaster recovery plan needs to be updated and tested more thoroughly.  It
was also the first installed exchange server in the domain.  What do I need
to do to get everything into a stable state in my domain?  There is another
server with AD and exchange, in fact it already was the primary mailbox
store, so I don't have to worry about that.  I'm having a problem getting
exchange to allow me to change the recipient update service (enterprise
configuration).  When I click on browse for the 'Windows Domain Controller'
I get an opertation failed message, ID no: 80004005 Exchange System Manager.

I'm not sure if this has something to do with Active Directory or not.  I've
already made the second server the global catalog server.  What else do I
need to do?

--
Posted 'as is'.  If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my

Mike Brearley

Hi Mike

This can be changed via ADSI Edit, which is installed as part of the
Win2k\2k3 Support Tools

WARNING: If you use the ADSI Edit snap-in, the LDP utility, or any other
LDAP version 3 client, and you incorrectly modify the attributes of Active
Directory objects, you can cause serious problems. These problems may
require you to reinstall Microsoft Windows 2000 Server, Microsoft Exchange
2000 Server, or both. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems that occur if
you incorrectly modify Active Directory object attributes can be solved.
Modify these attributes at your own risk.

From ADSI Edit

Configuration Container

cn=configuration

cn=services

cn=microsoft exchange

cn=<org name>

cn=address lists container

cn=recipient update services

Select the Enterprise Recipient Update Service or Domain Recipient Update
Service(s) if effected

Change the msExchServer1NetworkAddress and under Edit Attributes and select
another GC.  You should now do  a rebuild of the Enterprise and Domain RUS

 Hope this helps

--
Melissa Travers, MCSE
Microsoft Exchange Support

purposes only.

"Mike Brearley" <mike_brearleyNOSPAM@DONTDOIThotmail.com> wrote in message
> My primary server crashed hard on me.  I tried restoring, but obviously my
> disaster recovery plan needs to be updated and tested more thoroughly.  It
> was also the first installed exchange server in the domain.  What do I
need
> to do to get everything into a stable state in my domain?  There is
another
> server with AD and exchange, in fact it already was the primary mailbox
> store, so I don't have to worry about that.  I'm having a problem getting
> exchange to allow me to change the recipient update service (enterprise
> configuration).  When I click on browse for the 'Windows Domain
Controller'
> I get an opertation failed message, ID no: 80004005 Exchange System
Manager.

> I'm not sure if this has something to do with Active Directory or not.
I've
> already made the second server the global catalog server.  What else do I
> need to do?
>
> --
> Posted 'as is'.  If there are any spelling and/or grammar mistakes, they
> were a direct result of my fingers and brain not being synchronized or my
> lack of caffeine.
>
> Mike Brearley

0
mtravers (146)

Primary partitions
Say I have four hard drives(physical drives) in one computer. Is the four primary partition per each physical hard drive? In theory than I could have 16 primary partitions in a computer that has four physical drives. Is this statement correct? With Microsoft's partitioning that's correct. There are other utilities that will let you do more than four primary partitions. If your installing Win 7 let it do the partitioning. Win 7 has a 100MB partition for system files and then another primary partition for the rest of Win 7. Win 7, as does Vista, you can shrink...

Is Ms crm 3.0 supported SQL server 2005 devloper edition ?
Is Ms crm 3.0 supported SQL server 2005 devloper edition ?P Thanks advanced Kittu No, CRM is not supported on any developer/desktop editions (unless you are talking the Outlook client laptop edition). CRM requires, and takes full advantage of SQL Server 2000 or 2005 ...

Exchange server #8
When I installed Office 2007 for home use, an exchange mail server mail account was added. I added my hotmail and other accounts but I cannot remove the exchange account. I amd receiving the following error message: "You cannot delete this Outlook data file. Configuration information in the file is being copied to your new default data file. You can delete the file after this information is copied." The new mail accounts have been added and selected as default. An "unable to connect" error message appears when starting Outlook. -- Jim "carlsoje" <carl...

install sql server problem
I have SSPI error for the sql server, I could not solve the problem, so I uninstalled sql server 2005 and sql server 2005 express from add/remove programs. Then I installed sql server 2005 first. I got an error when installing sample application, it said I did not have administrator permission. Although I did not logon as admin, I am a member of administrator. I didn't understand what was the real problem, so I skipped the procedure. I continued to install the sp1 for the sql server 2005, then I got error that says "your account information could not be verified for o...

two units on primary Y axis
Hay!! I have spent quite some time looking for a solution and I doubt there is one. Is it possible to have two units on primary Y axis such us for example EUR /USD.. For example primary Y would have values such us : 1000 EUR / 1300 USD, 2000 EUR/2600 USD etc.. If there was a way that custom format would include possibility of calculation for unit.. tnx Rado Hi, Perhaps you can create a fake value axis using a dummy data series plotted as xy-scatter. Display data labels which are linked to cells that have the required text. Data for series would be like, X Y Label 0 ...

2 Blackberry Enterprise Server Setup Questions
1. One of our users has a blackberry which is being syncronized through BES with his mailbox. He has this weird issue where he receives a copy of each message twice. One arrives and the second one arrives about a minute later. Before we installed BES he used to synchronize with the help of T-mobile's website. I setup a contact in AD with his tmobile email address and every mail coming to 'jsmith@somedomain.com' would be forwarded to this contact which was his tmobile email. From there it would get to his BB. I've deleted the contact from AD but still he gets 2 emails/ What else...

Restoring Server
I did a total backup of our server using Small Business Server 2003. On restore, SQL cannot find the data, CRM security service cannot start and Exchange is not working. Everything else performs as expected. First, have I lost my SQL database by choosing to back up using NTBackup only? Second, any pointers on how to get CRM up and running again would be greatly appreciated. Gracias, Brian As far as I know, you cannot backup SQL databases with NTBackup. This is because NTBackup cannot access locked files (the physical mdf and ldf files are locked by SQL Server). You usually need a p...

HTTP Server Settings for MSN Personal Address
Can anyone provide the HTTP Server Settings for MSN Personal Address Services? The account does not have typical "@msn.com" or "@hotmail.com" setting. The $34.95 Subscription for MSN Personal Address has a .NET Passport associated with it and provides a.. Your own Web address*: "www.yourname.com" a.. Personalized e-mail address: "you@yourname.com" a.. URL for this MSN premium Service: http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=enus&page=hotmail/domains&HL=MSN_Personal_Address&ST=1&xAPID=1983&DI=1402 Regular MSN or Hotmail Server Settings ...

Hi I have a custom entity associated with Opportunities called Required Conditions. From the Opportunity enity I need to be able to check the count of the Required Conditions in order to disallow/allow certain actions. The simplest way of doing this (from what I can see) would be to populate a field on Opportunity with the count of the Required Conditions when the Opporutnity is loaded, however I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone out there assist? TIA Saira You may want to consider a callout (3.0)/plug-in (4.0) instead. Whenever one of your custom entities is created, updated...

New User in Exchange Server 2003
Hello, When setting up a new mailbox the default naming convention in Exchange Server shows up in the Global Address List as "First Name, Last Name", how do I set the default to show as "Last Name, First Name"? Any help would be appreciated! Thank you, Check this: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/MF023.html The relevant MS KB article is: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;250455 -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "mfink" <mfink@discussions.microsoft.com> ...

Great Plains on cluster server
Has anyone successfully run Great Plains on a windows 2003 cluster server, running SQL Enterprise 2000? We have 2 applications: ONe that accesses data via ADO and GP with ODBC. For some reason, Great Plains goes down, but the other does not. Users cannot log in even though the server is fine. If you attempt to run a select statement on the SY01500 table from query analyzer (which is the first table that GP access when you login), it does not return any results and just hangs. The only way to get people logged in again is to shutdown each cluster, then bring primary node up, then ...

Contacts should have both a primary contact and primary account
My customer would like to have both a primary contact and primary account like the account record. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=dcb8b04e-171f-4d5a-8b96-f...

Server Initiate to Client
Is there ever a time that the Server will initiate to a client instead of the other way around? What do you mean? deb wrote: > Is there ever a time that the Server will initiate to a > client instead of the other way around? ...

Conversion of Access to a SQL Server driven website
Well well well, I just got hit with my next project. We had a department maintaining an access forms based application - apprx 35-50 tables, 20+ forms, 25-30 queries, and it would be awesome if this were all a website instead. My question - is there an easy third party point and click way to do this? Might I mention, the security on this is access mdb's password (but we can reinvent security). - Sahil Malik Independent Consultant You can reach me thru my blog - http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/sahilmalik/ Depending on your user base, you can web-enable the application with zero conv...

CRM with SQL 2k5 installation issue on Virtual Server
I try to build a test environment, below is the configuration: 1. Host - Dell PowerEdge 2950. Win 2003 Enterprise R2 x64 Edition, SQL Server 2005 STD x64 Edition(including report service),Virtual Server 2005 R2 x64 Edition. The host is Domain Controller too. 2.Guest Win2003 Standard R2 Edition,Microsoft CRM 3.0 First, the DB is on the guest system,i setup the CRM 3.0 with no problem,but for the DB performance reason,I moved the DB to the host machine. So I created a new virtual server and try to install the CRM 3.0,but i found these tow warnings: 1).Microsoft SQL Server Setup was u...

Primary addresses and rejections
Running an inherited Exchange 2000 server using DNS, no smarthost. My problem is resolved...but I'm trying to understand what happened and why. Here's the events that occured...this morning, I tried to set an email deletion policy in the Recipient Policies container in Exchange. For some reason (still don't know what I did wrong), doing this changed everyone's primary email address to a different one. (for some background...originally this server was setup for the format such as jsmith@domain.com ....recently, they changed the email addresses to the format john.smith@doma...

Exchange 2003 Enterprise Server SP1 & Windows Server 2003 SP1
does anyone know whether MS has approved installing win server 2003 sp1 over exchange 2003 sp1? thanks. On Wed, 25 May 2005 16:56:07 -0400, "Halo5011" <halo5011@gmail.com> wrote: >does anyone know whether MS has approved installing win server 2003 sp1 over >exchange 2003 sp1? > >thanks. > Absolutely. No real show stoppers to report though you may want to look at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?amp;displaylang=en&familyid=22CFC239-337C-4D81-8354-72593B1C1F43&displaylang=en Specifically: If you are running Windows Small Business Se...

Strange behavior when setting Outlook 2003 with IMAP server
I setup out Outlook 2003 with an IMAP server and download the folder hierarchy. For some reason it's displaying two instances of INBOX although one is above the other in the hierarchy. I.E there is on folder called INBOX and another called INBOX.INBOX both contains the same emails. Can anyone explain why this is occurring? Mary <someone@mail.com> wrote: > I setup out Outlook 2003 with an IMAP server and download the folder > hierarchy. For some reason it's displaying two instances of INBOX > although one is above the other in the hierarchy. > > I.E t...

Primary Keys
I have a table of data where the primary key is a short code. A number of these codes are grouped together to produce a reporting group. I have now encountered a problem where i have had to set the report name and the short code as primary keys, as i am overlapping on the short codes. The problem is that i can no longer amend data in my report, while in a datasheet view and somebody else is in the db. The table is linked to another table using the 1st primary key as a link Do you know how i can resolve this issue? ...

IMAP on a frontend server?
I am having problems setting up IMAP on a frontend server and would like to see if anyone has some ideas about how to address my problem. The problem: Can not access IMAP folders when connecting to the frontend server, but I can access the IMAP folders on the backend server. When attempting to connect to the frontend server I get authentication errors. My environment: I have a frontend (standard) / backend (Enterprise) Exchange 2003 environment. No firewall sits between the frontend and backend. All the mailboxes are located on the backend server. The frontend server runs OWA without pro...

Recipient Policies Per Server
I have an exchange server for our canada group which uses a different email address. Is there a way to add a recipient policy and have it automatically add the email address for user on one server? yes, you can use the homeMTA in the Recipient Filter (&(mailnickname=*)( homeMTA=CN=Microsoft MTA,CN=YourExchangeSERVER,CN=Servers,CN=First Administrative Group,CN=Administrative Groups,CN=YourExchangeORG,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=YourDOMAIN,DC=YOURDOMAINSUFFIX-COMorNETorWhatever) -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Tyson&q...

Intellisense to SQL Server 2005 ?
Hello, we have SQL Server 2005 in the server , to get the benefit of Intellisense at SSMS can I install management tools of SQL Server 2008 R2 in my PC (Admin) and connect to 2005 instance ? will that work ? what would I lose if I use 2008 R2 SSMS instead of 2005 SSMS ? Thank you Bassam Bassam (egbas@yahoo.com) writes: > we have SQL Server 2005 in the server , to get the benefit of > Intellisense at SSMS can I install management tools of SQL Server 2008 > R2 in my PC (Admin) and connect to 2005 instance ? will that work ? what > would I lose if I use 2008 R2...

Microsoft CRM for laptop client for Outlook and CRM server via internet question
Hi, We published our CRM to the internet, using the following address, http://crm.companyname.com and it can be accessed with no problem. Now, I understand that when we installed Microsoft CRM fo Laptop client for MS Outlook, certain registries are added such as ServerUrl and WebAppUrl. I tried to changed these value from http://crm to our published site URL. Both URLs are added as Trusted sites in my Internet Explorer, even the http://localhost. Trusted site setting is also configured as Automatic login. When I opened Microsoft Outlook and tried to connect using 'Go Online', ...

Exchange vs other mail servers
Hello I know that this topic is boring but I have to prove my boss that exchange is good solution for our corporation. It's difficult because there are plenty open source solution everywhere. Could anybody send me url or description of advantages of exchange over other systems Best regards Darek Tomon Try this link http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/evaluation/compare/default.mspx "Dariusz Tomon" <d.tomon@mazars.pl> wrote in message news:efMG4llyFHA.2076@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hello > > I know that this topic is boring but I have to prove my boss t...

Strange Primary Key values
Hi, I have created a form based on a table using the wizard. This table has a primary key field plus a few more. When I add new rows to the table using the form, I gets strange primary key values such as -298239823. Any ideas why this might be? Thanks, Aine Sounds as though your primary key is an AutoNumber set to Random, rather than Sequential. That shouldn't matter: the value of an AutoNumber key has no meaning. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) <aine_canby@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1186493404.056219.122550@d55g2000...