POP3/SMTP external authentication error "550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay"

Hey guys(and Gals)

I am having some problems here trying to allow a client to access and send mail from an outside source via pop3 connection.  I have a Windows 2000 Server with SP4 and Exchange Server 2003.  I have all of the default settings in place.  In addition, I have an SMTP connector in place with the default reccommended settings

My default settings for the SMTP virtual server include the following

Authentication = Anonymous, Basic, Integrated Windows Authentication
Relay = Only the list below (with a blank panel), Allow all computers which successfully authenticate...

I have the client set up in Outlook with the following settings

Internet E-Mail Settings = My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication, Log on to incoming mail server before sending mai

I have also referenced the following

323669.KB.EN-US XFOR: "550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay" Error Message When E-mai
Is Sent t
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;32366
(Deals with Exch 2000

289553.KB.EN-US XIMS: Non-Delivery Report 550 5.7.1: Unable to Rela
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;28955
(Deals with recipient policies - this appears to be inbound mail

283287.KB.EN-US XADM: Users Receive Random 5.7.1 and 5.7.3 NDR
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;283287     (als
Exch 2000 and corrected in SP1

327759.KB.EN-US HOW TO: Use Recipient Policies to Resolve Nondeliver
Reports Caused b
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;32775

Bottom line is, with logging enabled, I can authenticate successfully with pop3 first, then I get denied by the SMTP virtual server.  Everything I have read says that it is set up correctly (I think).  Here is  a shot of the two logs

First
Event 1010; Source POP3SV
Client *.*.*.* successfully logged on to mailbox *******@*******.net

Followed by
Event 7010; Source MSExchange Transpor
This is an SMTP protocol log for virtual server ID 1, connection #3. The client at "*.*.*.*" sent a "rcpt" command, and the SMTP server responded with "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for *********@************.net  ". The full command sent was "rcpt TO: <**********@************.net>".  This will probably cause the connection to fail.

One last thing, if I force the clients IP into the relay list, everything works fine.  The problem is that he has a dynamic IP

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance

0
anonymous (74723)

Dud

You need to use the users ISP outgoing SMTP server to send the email, not your Exchagne server, it wont work, because the ISP wont let your realy mail using your Exchagne servers IP address.

LATER
0
anonymous (74723)
3/5/2004 4:41:07 PM
Thanks Skip!  Has this always been this way?  I don't have too many clients that use POP3, mostly OWA, but I don't think I've ever done that before (or maybe I just accepted the problem's fix before without understanding the cause).
0
anonymous (74723)
3/5/2004 5:21:05 PM
Skip

One more thing.  Why should I have to use my user's ISP?  If you look at the end of my first post

One last thing, if I force the clients IP into the relay list, everything works fine.  The problem is that he has a dynamic IP

It is actually getting to my mail server without any problem, just not authenticating.  Any ideas?
0
anonymous (74723)

POP3/SMTP external authentication error "550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay"
Hey guys(and Gals) I am having some problems here trying to allow a client to access and send mail from an outside source via pop3 connection. I have a Windows 2000 Server with SP4 and Exchange Server 2003. I have all of the default settings in place. In addition, I have an SMTP connector in place with the default reccommended settings My default settings for the SMTP virtual server include the following Authentication = Anonymous, Basic, Integrated Windows Authentication Relay = Only the list below (with a blank panel), Allow all computers which successfully authenticate... I have the ...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay?
My manager received the following NDR after trying to reply to an external email address: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: user@external.com on 7/7/2005 1:42 PM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <mybridgehead.mydomain.com #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@external.com> So he is simply replying to an external email he received and my bridgehead server is saying he is trying to relay through it? I have seen this before, and most of the time if the person just tries to resend it will...

#5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for Tester@contoso.com
Hey folks, Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003 SP2. I started having this weird issue this morning. Users that we email multiple times a day, at ONLY one domain, all of a sudden started being unreachable, see error message below. No other emails to other domains had this issue. Just this one. Yet, after trying to resend the same exact email, they seem to have gone thru not 10 minutes later on the second attempt. Does anyone have any ideas? From: System Administrator Sent: Tuesday, January 02, 2007 10:42 AM To: Tester@contoso.com Subject: Undeliverable: Test Email Your message did not reach s...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay to External Users
Hi all, Having a problem sending to certain domains. Exchange 2003 Server...below is the log from the front end server. Again this is not one domain and also not all....very strange. I have read alot of the posts here and on the web and none seem to be exactly the same situation. We do have a ne PIX Firewall and smtp fixup IS disabled. HELP PLEASE!!! Jamie This is an SMTP protocol log for virtual server ID 1, connection #1601. The client at "192.168.0.7" sent a "rcpt" command, and the SMTP server responded with "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for externaluser@ex...

On Exchange POP3 client, 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
To all, All of a sudden, our POP3 users at a remote office are unable to send the emails to external domain. Sending/receiving internal emails are fine as well as receiving external emails. The error message is 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@domain.com. The detail as below From: System Administrator Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 10:42 AM To: 'user1@externaldomain.com' Subject: Undeliverable: Test Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Test Sent: 7/19/2004 10:42 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: ...

"#5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for" after applying SP2
I have front-end E2K3 server that has secure POP3 and secure SMTP that clients using Eudora, Apple Mail, Outlook Express use. I applied Exchange 2003 service pack 2 to all the Exchange servers (starting with the front-end) last Friday. Now clients using any POP3/SMTP software receive the above message when they try to send any email to any external email addresses. No settings were changed in the SMTP virtual server and I've tried unchecking and re-checking the "Allow all computers which successfully authenticate to relay" option, then restarted SMTP and Exchange Routing servi...

"550 5.7.1 Unable to relay" TO external domains
Hi together, I have a big problem to send to any recipient which has an external domain (outside of Exhange organization). I deployed Exchange 2003 + SP2 based on Windows 2003 AD. - Installation of Exchnage is a default installation. - Default recipient policy exists. - There is no restriction to send mails. - Only SMTP VS1 is used to send mails. The users on Exchange server cann send mails internally without any problem. BUT if they send any mail to an user who has an external domain address, they get the following error: "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for username@externaldomain.com&q...

Intermittent 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay
Running Exchange 2000 SP3. We have a simple domain, one mail server. We're intermittently experiencing the 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@ourdomain.com rejection message sent from our exchange server when sending to various domains. When we receive this message, we just resend the message 5 minutes later and it goes through ok. Reverse DNS is fine, 90% of the time email delivery is fine. Anything I can check? ...

unable to send to one domain, telnet to and get 550 5.7.1 unable to relay for when i do RCPT TO:
I have no problems sending out anywhere but this one domain. Running SBS 2003 w/ Exchange 2003. users have gotton it back with The e-mail system was unable to deliver the message, but did not report a specific reason. Check the address and try again. If it still fails, contact your system administrator. <mydomain.com #4.0.0 smtp;451 Please try again> and There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <mydomain.com #5.5.0 smtp;550 Contains .gif file (blacklisted)> I t...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@domain.com
Hello, we have an Exchange Server 2003 SP2 and two mail-domains (krohnegroup.com and krohne.de). Until today only krohnegroup.com runs with the Exchange Server and it's working fine. Now krohne.de should works with that server too. But if we send mails to a addresses with krohne.de we receive the following error 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@domain.com with eventid 7010. Article ID 323669 didn't help. At the subkey LM\DS2MB we only find krohnegroup.com. Before and after changing as described in article 323669. What is the problem? Regards Michael On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 11...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for someone@internal.com
L.s. I've got one e-mail domain and a local domain: e.g. internal.com and internal.local Ofcourse these domains are stated in the recipient policy, but messages sent to the internal.com domain are rejected with "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for someone@internal.com". I just can't seem to put my finger on it..... Anyone out there who is able to help me? Why are you doing that? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Dennis Schoone" <Dennis Schoone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FAA6632...

ASP.NET Gets Error "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay" to outside domain
Hello, I am an ASP running my own ISP using SBS 2003 and EX2003, and currently have 25 domains I am hosting. My problem is that my ASP.Net pages cannot send email using System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail to an addressee not already in my domain recipeint policy. This is a problem, as the code should be able to allow anyone in the world to register with the site and then recieve an email message from the code. It seems to me that I should be able to somehow configure the ASP.NET user to have full open relay permissions, or some other clever solution that will not turn me into an open relay, yet st...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay
Hi, I have Exchange 2003 server enterprise on a w2k sp4 server. I have more than a thounsan users a I have one who is continously receiving a 5.7.1 message from the server. (550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for name@domain) He is using Outlook XP as a client. Anyone has a idea ??? More information thanx, When he emails internal? external? all the time? Have you tested another user on the same computer so you are sure it is THAT user.. can that user mail from another computer? so it isn't his Outlook profile that is corrupt etc? More information please... sounds like an interesting problem :) J...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for
I am having a problem with a Exchange 2003 server that is also a POP3 server. This is a new install of Exchange, for a new domain. I have configured Outlook express to use the POP3 server to retrieve emails. When I am using a OE client local to the Exchange server everything seems to work fine and I can send and receive email to local and external email addresses. When I use a OE client that is not local to the Exchange server I can receive email, but not send. The error I receive is: The message could not be sent because one of the recipients was rejected by the server. The rejected e...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay message
I get the above error message from the computer I normally work on when I try to use a mail enabled (CDO) VB.NET program. When I use a production machine and log in as myself the application sends email OK and does not give the error message. Please help ... what do I need to set for my machine to allow it to send email? -- Martin Tallett In SMTP virtual server properties | Access tab | Relay -> grant your computer's IP address the permission to relay. If your computer's using a DHCP address, you can either switch to a static IP address that doesn't change every time, ...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for #2
Hello, We have a customer running Exchange 2003 on win 2003 server. windows domain name ATG.internal. We have 4 different Email domains registered in internet DNS all users have an email address @abilityemployment.com.au some users also have @nwes.com.au some users also have @northwestcontractors.com.au some users also have @abilitylifeskills.com.au This used to work fine and people received their mail which ever of their addresses it was sent to. now Suddenly only @abilityemployment.com.au mail is received and all mail to the other domains is rejected, and the sender receives a message...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay #4
I just set up my SBS. The Exchange connection to the internet appears to be working, but the email are getting rejected for some reason. What follows in the rejection I get when I send myself a message via pop3 account. The original message was received at Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:13:38 -0700 from taka-216.swcp.com [216.184.2.3] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <max@mpcsup.com> (reason: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for max@mpcsup.com) ----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to mail.mpcsup.com.: >>> DATA <<< 5...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay #3
Random users within my company periodically have trouble sending to a particular recipient. They are met with: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: user@domain.com on 8/11/2005 12:53 PM You do not have permission to send to this recipient. For assistance, contact your system administrator. <my_bridgehead_server #5.7.1 smtp;550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@domain.com Sometimes they have no problem sending to this person, other times they do. When they are unable to send to them, there are no other email problems going on. What is the problem here, and how to I troub...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay #2
HI All! I have configured secured POP3 access on Exchange Server 2003 with SP1 (SBS 2003). It was working fine but now POP3 users are unable to send mail outside exchange organization. If they sends message outside exchange org. thier messages are returened with error 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for xxx@yahoo.com or any domain name. I checked the event log there are two event id which are logged Event ID 1069 Source POP3SVC: SSPI authentication attempt from 24.17.207.164 has failed with error 0x8009030c. Event ID 7004 Source MS Exchange Transport: This is an SMTP protocol log for vi...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay to one domain
We have two sites. Our sister site is running Windows Server 2003 and Exchange Server 2003. They can send email to any domain BUT ours and we can receive email from any domain BUT theirs. I have verifed that we are not on any blacklist. There error message the sender receives is: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'user@domain.com' on 11/1/2004 8:43 AM 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@domain.com Is it something on our end that is not letting them email us or something on their end in DNS?? Any help would be appreciated. Mr. Mike ...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@domainname.com
Hello, We have 2000 SBS with exchange thta has been working fine. Today we are not able to receive any email at all. It does not matter who sends it. The sender gets this error message: ---------------------------------------------------- Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details The original message was received at Thu, 13 May 2004 13:39:48 -0400 (EDT) from ptd-24-25-191-160.maine.rr.com [24.25.191.160] ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- < user@domainname.com>... > (reason: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@domainname.com>...) ...

Exchange 2007 "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay"
We have a single Exchange 2007 server in our domain. I'm trying to allow a single machine on our local network to send email through it. I've followed multiple step-by-step documents on setting up receive connectors but no matter what I do I still get "550 5.7.1 Unable to relay" when sending to an external email address from that machine. I'm confident I've set up the receive connector correctly so what other settings in exchange 2007 can cause this error? Mezlo On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:55:13 -0700 (PDT), Mezlo <mezlo@sunfire.org> wrote: >We have...

550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@domain.com #2
I'm running Exchange 2003 on server 2003 sp1 and im getting relaying errors from external domains. I can send to internal and external users ok, but if someone from an external domain (gmail.com, yahoo.com, etc) try to send me a message i get this error: Technical details of permanent failure: PERM_FAILURE: SMTP Error (state 9): 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for user@domain.com I checked my mx record and everything seems to be ok. ive been reading up on relaying, and from what i understand, i shouldnt have to enable relaying unless i want an external user in domain1 to send mail through my e...

Configure for Open Relay: 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for someone@somewhere.com
Hi We need to send mail from our SQL Server using an extended stored procedure. We keep getting the response 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay for someone@somewhere.com Is there any way around this except configuring the server for Open Relay? If not how do I do this? Thanks B Ben, If you are sending messages to someone on the Internet you will HAVE to open relay. Sending to local users should not be a problem. I would suggest that you use another machine, aside from your Exchange server, install MS SMTP on it and then open relay on that for the IP address of your SQL server. This way you...