POP3 and Exchange 5.5

I cant seem to get POP3 to work.
POP3 is installed on the server.
I cant telnet to port 110 internally.
It is not a network issue, more of a setup on the server
issue.
Pleas Help
Jim
0
anonymous (74717)

"Jim Potter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I cant seem to get POP3 to work.
>POP3 is installed on the server.
>I cant telnet to port 110 internally.
>It is not a network issue, more of a setup on the server
>issue.
>Pleas Help

Please supply more information.

If you can connect to port 110, what is it that doesn't work? USER?
PASS? LIST? RETR? DELE?

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

0
anonymous (74717)

>I said I couldnt telnet to port 110.

Ahhh . . . sorry. I missed the "t" at the end of the word (missing
apostrophe).

Is the POP3 protocol enabled on the server? How about the site? Check
the "Protocols" container in both locations.

If the server's a MS Proxy client, have you configured the .ini file
to kill the old connections?

When you start the Information Store, are there errors recorded in the
application log. If so, are there any for the POP3 protocol saying it
can't bind and giving the error code as 0x2740 (or some other number)?

If so, translate the hex to decimal and you'll have the error code to
look up. E.g.

0x2742 = 10050
0x2740 = 10048 (address in use)

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

Separating Data #5
Dave - you are my hero!! Even though this is a time consuming proces up front, it gets the data where it needs to be. It was well worth i for me since I had over 35,000 rows of info. Thanks again.. -- Boop91 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Boop914's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=312 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27626 Don't tell me you finished in less than 24 hours! Time to check and recheck--there's just too much variation to trust your first efforts! &...

Exchange administrative groups
What are the limitations of Exchange 2000 in mixed mode? Can I create multiple administrative Groups? Can I create multiple Exchange 2000 routing Groups? When Exchange is in Native mode can I move servers between administrative groups? Thanks Rustom "Rustom" <RossMistry@hotmail.com> wrote: >What are the limitations of Exchange 2000 in mixed mode? > >Can I create multiple administrative Groups? >Can I create multiple Exchange 2000 routing Groups? > >When Exchange is in Native mode can I move servers between administrative >groups? > >Thanks &g...

Outlook 2007 and Exchange
Hi, I have a user who got the good idea tu upgrade Outlook 2000 tp 2007 version. We do run an Exchange 2000 server here with 2000 Outlook clients. So now, from the Outlook 2007 version, we can't send email on the local domain anymore. We end up with the 550 error user unknown. I can delete and creat the account and the Outlook will detect the user name and the exchange server name as well but it just can't send it out. There is a smtp account configured on the same PC and it works fine. So why is sending to exchange won't work?, Thanks in adance. Steve -- ...

Problems with the Exchange Server
Does anyone know how to stop the Exchange server from going down everyday? What i am doing is re-booting the server and also re- starting one or more of the Microsoft Exchange services. Check your Event Viewer Application Log, look for any red Errors. What are some of the Event ID numbers? -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Jason" <jason.lawrie@lineone.net> wrote in message news:46f701c3e41c$0ac4e940$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know how to stop the Exchange server from > going down everyday? > > What i am doin...

disabling read receipts in Exchange 2k environment
Hi, I was hoping to get a little advise on my win2k pro/office2k environment: when users attempt to disable the sending of read receipts (in Outlook:tools-options-preferances tab-email options button-tracking options button) the option to "never send a response" is greyed out. My research indicates that the Exhcange server may be causing this and I was wondering where on the Exchange server I should check? or if this could be caused by something else? I appreciate the help, AF On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 16:24:02 -0700, "AF" <AF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: &...

Exchange Router 08-04-04
Do any guys have aby ideas on installing Exchange Router in Exchange which is running on cluster environment. Do we need to install the exchange router on every exchange server? JC- Our email connector in Microsoft CRM 1.X has not been tested with clustered Exchange and thus is not a supported option - Regards, Alex "JC" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:beb201c479cb$0ffdf4c0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Do any guys have aby ideas on installing Exchange Router > in Exchange which is running on cluster environment. Do > we need to install the e...

Reports on Exchange?
I want to see how many emails exist in all of my users' Deleted Items that are older than 90 days. How would I go about getting that report? ...

POP3 not connecting
I have a random problem with users getting a "cannot connect to POP3 server" message & not receiving mail. The POP3 address is correct. The mail site is up & working fine - in fact I can visit that URL at the same time I'm getting the "POP3" message & it goes there just fine. If we re-boot, it will connect right up & no more problems with Outlook finding the site... I have 40 users on a win2000 server network with exchange2000 running & Outlook2000 client on each machine. This problem comes up on 1 - 2 users per day Joe Rogers wrote: &g...

Read emails from exchange server
Is there a way to read incoming email and past emails that have been passed on to the users pst file from the exchange server? We need to monitor the emails of an employee with them knowing. Thanks, Jasper You can implement Journaling, which will send a copy of ALL incoming and outgoing messages to a mailbox of your choosing, but that doesn't do you much good for past emails. Message tracking (if implemented) can also help to some degree (limited reporting). Finally, if you have implemented Deleted Items Retention, you would still have access to messages that have been deleted (...

Exchange Setup #3
I am new to Exchange administration and have a W2003R@ Server and Exchange 2003. The Active Directory is setup for mydomain.local and I have two domains to support domain1.com and domain2.com. I have had some success but cannot get any mail actually delivered to me on the Exchange server, or to me from the exchange server. Does anyone know of a checklist for the required settings for this type of environment? All help greatly appreciated, but I think I am going to prefer this in the end to Lotus Notes, which is a maintenance nightmare! Thanks Michael Ferris amferris@bellsouth.net...

could not start microsoft exchange information store (exchange 200
when I want to re-start the microsoft exchange information store it fails and I keep getting this error in event viewer: -------------------------------------------------- Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeSA Event Category: Monitoring Event ID: 9098 Description: The MAD Monitoring thread was unable to read its configuration from the DS, error '0x80041001'. -------------------------------------------------- can anybody help me please to solve this problem ? thanks KUMAIL wrote: > when I want to re-start the microsoft exchange information store it fails and > I ...

Two or More Exchange Servers
Good Day. I have been looking around for information on the purposes/reasons of have more than one installation of Exchange 2000 within the same domain. If you have two installations of Exchange can you synchronise them so that if one has problems you can switch over and use the second? If this is not possible what reasons are there for hosting two or more? Thank you for you help. Kind Regards Paul Johnson. Well,if I have 20,000 users, I am certainly not going to put them all on one server! You can cluster servers, but its not a replication of the store. On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 16:15:5...

Out of office replies and exchange 2003
I am a bit new to exchange 2003. Can anyone point me in the right direction for out of office replies, meaning, can I set certain addresses to not send them to, like email lists or discussion groups? if so how? thanks Out of office replies to the internet are disabled by default. You can allow them to specific domains under Global Settings. On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:50:44 -0700, "tester" <tester@testthis.net> wrote: >I am a bit new to exchange 2003. Can anyone point me in the right direction >for out of office replies, meaning, can I set certain addresses to not ...

POP3/SMTP external authentication error "550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay"
Hey guys(and Gals) I am having some problems here trying to allow a client to access and send mail from an outside source via pop3 connection. I have a Windows 2000 Server with SP4 and Exchange Server 2003. I have all of the default settings in place. In addition, I have an SMTP connector in place with the default reccommended settings My default settings for the SMTP virtual server include the following Authentication = Anonymous, Basic, Integrated Windows Authentication Relay = Only the list below (with a blank panel), Allow all computers which successfully authenticate... I have the ...

Warning Message by Exchange System Attendant
We are using Exchange 2003 and for the past several months, we have been receiving the following error messages in the event log: Source: MSExchangeSA Event ID: 9186 Description: Microsoft Exchange System Attendant has detected that the local computer is not a member of group 'cn=Exchange Domain Servers, cn=Users, dc=<domain>, dc=com'. System Attendant is going to add teh local computer into the group. Source: MSExchangeSA Event ID: 9187 Description: Microsoft Exchange System Attendant failed to add the local computer as a member of the DS group object 'cn=Exchange Do...

Exchange 2003 and multiple domains
We just converted from Exchange 5.5 under Windows 2000 to a new server running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 and am having a couple of problems. 1. We have 2 domains (A & B with 2 way trusts) in our AD network, with 90% of the people in domain A along with the Exchange server. Domain B is also running AD under Windows 2000. All email addresses are JaneDoe@domainA.com even if the user account is in Domain B. When the 5.5 mailboxes were converted, new accounts for the people in Domain B where created in Domain A under the Users - Recipients folder but were disabled. The problem...

Problem
Ever since I added a Microsoft Exchange Server Account and all it6s associated folders and its in-box to my pre-existing Personal Outlook 2003 POP3 folders, I have had nothing but confusion. The Exchange Server account from my workplace downloads its messages into the in-Box for my private ISP POP3 account and vice versa. When I try to configure a rule for my personal POP3 account so that any messages addressed to my workplace account are loaded into the exchange server in-box on my client PC, the software tells me I have to go on-line to Exchange Server - even to create rules for th...

Is information stores in Exchange 2000 compatible with Exchange 20
I was asked a question after migrating from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. If we need to retrieve information from the old backups of Exchange 2000, do we need to setup Exchange 2000? Can we access these old Exchange 2000 stores from Exchange 2003? Any advise with be appreciated. Yes, you will need to setup E2K on recovery server (possibly in Virtual PC environment) to restore backups of E2K. Michael C wrote: > I was asked a question after migrating from Exchange 2000 to Exchange 2003. > If we need to retrieve information from the old backups of Exchange 2000, do > we need to...

exchange server tracking
Can any one tell me if exchange 2003 allows Message Tracking to be reported directly to SQL 2000. If it can how can i do it. Also can any one suggest good mail stats gathering tools. thankx, rushi. On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:20:01 -0800, rushi <rushi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can any one tell me if exchange 2003 allows Message Tracking to be reported >directly to SQL 2000. > >If it can how can i do it. > >Also can any one suggest good mail stats gathering tools. > >thankx, >rushi. The tracking files are just text, so if you have create a pro...

POP3 Ques. Outlk 03. Exchange server. want to rec'v POP3 but not
My desktop runs XP with Outlook 2003. Attached to office network. Network has an Exchange server. I have three email accts set up: Exchange - my office email; a POP3 acct which is my personal acct; and an IMAP acct using gmail. I have no problem with the Exchange acct or with the IMAP acct. I receive email via the POP3 acct. My Outlook is always trying to send on the POP3 but is unable to do that. I don't care. I want to turn off sending on the POP3 but receive the POP3 email. I think the constant effort to send on the POP3 acct is slowing my Outlook performance. An...

Problems with front-end Exchange 2003 server and OMA
We've recently upgraded our organization to use a front-end Exchange 2003 server running on Windows 2000 and although OWA access works fine, we're running into some problems getting OMA to work. The front-end Exchange 2003 server was upgraded from Exchange 2000 but the back-end server was a fresh install of Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003 server. The configuration of the front-end server uses SSL on both the Exchange and OMA directories and both directories are configured for basic authentication. Although I've read that having SSL enabled on these directories could lead to connec...

Contact Manager without Exchange Server???
My office doesn't use the Exchange server. Can I install and use the Business Contact Manager or the Outlook Contact Manager without the Exchange server??? It's only supposed to work with SBS2003, but can be hacked - see http://www.slipstick.com/bcm/bcmfaq.aspx for more information. On 26 Apr 2004 09:21, =?Utf-8?B?SVQgTmlnaHRtYXJl?= <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >My office doesn't use the Exchange server. Can I install and use the Business >Contact Manager or the Outlook Contact Manager without the Exchange server??? > > -- Diane Poremsky [M...

Hw to setup public Exchange server
Hi all, appologies for this stupid post, but I need a help. Our company are using SBS 2003 SP1 with POP3 connector. That means our Exchange (from SBS) collect POP3 mails from our ISP's network. I have a part of experience with exchange setup (message delivery, recipient policies, administer mailbox stores...). Now, we bought static IP address and we'd like to publish Exchange on Internet with our FQDN (e-mails). Windows 2003 Server environment; AD, DNS, ISA2004, Exchange 2003 Std or Ent. Please give me any suggestion or web page for begining - how to setup clean Exchange instal...

Exchange ActiveSync VS GoodLink
I am proposing an over the air e:mail solution, and I am looking for some comments. As I understand it, Exchange 2003 SP2 (which we are running) can do this with many wireless devices. However, I also see a lot of comments on GoodLink, which is a major cost increase. So, what do you get with GoodLink that you don't get with Exchange? Is it worth $2000 and $300 a user? Especially in a small office where I will probably never have more than 10 users? Thanks for any comments, Gordon On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 13:29:03 -0800, Gordon Price <GordonPrice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

Exchange 2003 Backup/Restore or Swing?
I'm just starting to plan reformatting/reinstalling Exchange 2003 on my current Exchange 2003 server. I'm going to be upgrading it from Win2003 SP1 to Win2003 R2 at the same time. I have 3 drives in a RAID5 structure, but the partitions are poorly designed (C, E, F, W), I'm running out of space on them for offline defragmentation. Instead of having 4 separate partitions (for OS, Exchange DB, Exchange Logs, and another one for web content), I want to consolidate it down to a single C partition. In one of the Microsoft Exchange Disaster Recovery webcasts, they mention that...