POP3 access

Hi,

Up till now we have had a Linux POP3 server which collects outside mail and
the internal Outlook clients retrieve those messages. With my new Exchange
2000 server I am planning to do away with the POP3 server and have messages
forwarded directly to the Exchange server by the firewall.

At present I have some accounts on the POP3 server which don't have a
matching Exchange Mailbox. These are staff and directors who never work
internally. They retrieve their mail by a POP3 client such as Outlook
Express. I assume I will have to setup Mailboxes for these users under my
new scenario. What will I need to do to allow them to retrieve their mail
with a POP3 client?

Thanks,

John

For Exchange 2003, on installation the POP3 Service is disable. If you will
be supporting it, you just need to enable the service. This can be done
through the Sevices MMC within the Administrative Tools. Be sure to set the
service for automatic start-up.

Next would be to mailbox-enable the user accounts in Active Directory, this
is done throught ADUC | Exchange Tasks.

When clients connect, all you need to do is update the POP3 Server settings
to pull mail from the Exchange Server. You probably want to create an DNS
alias to resolve to the Exchange Server, "i.e. mail.exchangeserver.com".

I believe by default, Basic Authentication and Integrated Windows
Authentication is enabled. All you need to do present proper credentials to
access the mailbox.

If you ever want to secure POP3 cleint access, you can using SSL. Attached
is a link on instructions.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319273/en-us

Next
"John" <john_corangamite@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Up till now we have had a Linux POP3 server which collects outside mail
> and the internal Outlook clients retrieve those messages. With my new
> Exchange 2000 server I am planning to do away with the POP3 server and
> have messages forwarded directly to the Exchange server by the firewall.
>
> At present I have some accounts on the POP3 server which don't have a
> matching Exchange Mailbox. These are staff and directors who never work
> internally. They retrieve their mail by a POP3 client such as Outlook
> Express. I assume I will have to setup Mailboxes for these users under my
> new scenario. What will I need to do to allow them to retrieve their mail
> with a POP3 client?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

Thank you for a detailed, quick response.

John

"Chris Calderon" <chris.calderon@allincal.com> wrote in message
> For Exchange 2003, on installation the POP3 Service is disable. If you
> will be supporting it, you just need to enable the service. This can be
> done through the Sevices MMC within the Administrative Tools. Be sure to
> set the service for automatic start-up.
>
> Next would be to mailbox-enable the user accounts in Active Directory,
> this is done throught ADUC | Exchange Tasks.
>
> When clients connect, all you need to do is update the POP3 Server
> settings to pull mail from the Exchange Server. You probably want to
> create an DNS alias to resolve to the Exchange Server, "i.e.
> mail.exchangeserver.com".
>
> I believe by default, Basic Authentication and Integrated Windows
> Authentication is enabled. All you need to do present proper credentials
> to access the mailbox.
>
> If you ever want to secure POP3 cleint access, you can using SSL. Attached
> is a link on instructions.

> Next
> "John" <john_corangamite@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> Up till now we have had a Linux POP3 server which collects outside mail
>> and the internal Outlook clients retrieve those messages. With my new
>> Exchange 2000 server I am planning to do away with the POP3 server and
>> have messages forwarded directly to the Exchange server by the firewall.
>>
>> At present I have some accounts on the POP3 server which don't have a
>> matching Exchange Mailbox. These are staff and directors who never work
>> internally. They retrieve their mail by a POP3 client such as Outlook
>> Express. I assume I will have to setup Mailboxes for these users under my
>> new scenario. What will I need to do to allow them to retrieve their mail
>> with a POP3 client?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> John

access to excel form analysis access 2007
Hello In access 2003 i coould analyse forms in excel but in 2007 the is no function can this still be done! ...

POP3 not connecting
I have a random problem with users getting a "cannot connect to POP3 server" message & not receiving mail. The POP3 address is correct. The mail site is up & working fine - in fact I can visit that URL at the same time I'm getting the "POP3" message & it goes there just fine. If we re-boot, it will connect right up & no more problems with Outlook finding the site... I have 40 users on a win2000 server network with exchange2000 running & Outlook2000 client on each machine. This problem comes up on 1 - 2 users per day Joe Rogers wrote: &g...

Mailbox Access or Public Folders Rights
Hi Imagine you have some team projects that must share their information by WEBMAIL. So i've thought in two ways of doing that but i need someone advice how to make it work. 1 . Implement/create an e-mail address that should allow the following points: -> mailbox ProjectXptoMailbox -> user james: has full control -> user alice: read access -> user john: read access -> user mary: read access Each one of the users to access this mailbox account must autenticate with their own user credenci...

How to disable Outlook Web Access for multiple users?
By default, Outlook Web Access is enabled for users. By what way, we can disable the web access for a large number of users without by changing the setting one by one? Thank you Sam Dear Samuel, it is easy, it is the same way when you want to create a mailbox for bulk of users. 1. Select all the users that you want to disable the OWA for them, if these users are under the same OU, then open this OU and select all the users, or if they are on different OU's, they you have to define a search query and find a common attributes fo them so you can select them all. 2. right click on ...

Multiple users of access
if i create a database for a company how can it be asseed by many users in the company. Officially, 255. I wouldn't try that many except in a read-only mode. Some non Access database developers would be tempted to say 0 or 5 at most. They know less about databases, and especially Access databases, than they should. Most articles by Accrss developers use, the number 20, as a safe number. I have had as many as 75 concurrent users in a well designed database, without any problems whatsoever. I've heard of many more, but can't verify that. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP ...

POP3/SMTP external authentication error "550 5.7.1 Unable to Relay"
Hey guys(and Gals) I am having some problems here trying to allow a client to access and send mail from an outside source via pop3 connection. I have a Windows 2000 Server with SP4 and Exchange Server 2003. I have all of the default settings in place. In addition, I have an SMTP connector in place with the default reccommended settings My default settings for the SMTP virtual server include the following Authentication = Anonymous, Basic, Integrated Windows Authentication Relay = Only the list below (with a blank panel), Allow all computers which successfully authenticate... I have the ...

access xp runtime
hello Why during running package wizard in order to build a setup file, at the stage of copying files I have the massage that the language I choose is not the correct one. I have tried both Hebrew and English but can't finish the wizard and build the setup file tnx ...

Suppress Access 2003 Convert/Open dialog
Is there any way to suppress the convert/open dialog when opening an Access 97 database in Access 2003? ...

Charting from Access
Hi, I have a problem with combining excel charts with access database. All my tables in access have date in first column and some numeric data in the others. I managed to draw the chart but I have problems with axis. y axis should be the value of the bars (data from the tables) and I constantly get dates. Id number column is used for the x axis. Everything is mixed and i don't know how to change all that. I need x axis to be date, y axis to be value and the bars in the chart to represent series that are made from other columns of the table. I can do all this in excel, but I need help wit...

Accessing Outlook from my laptop
I use Outlook on my desktop PC but would also like to access it, via my wifi network, on my laptop. I know I can set the folder that the .pst folder is in to 'sharing', but wondered if there was any other way to set it up. I would also like to access my .pst file from any other PC over the web. How would I do that? Thanks, You point the laptop OL to use the pst required. Be aware only a single instance of OL can access the pst and MS doesnt support the use of a pst over a network as it can lead to corruption. "Geoff" <meaningless34@hotmail.com> wrote in message n...

Problem
Ever since I added a Microsoft Exchange Server Account and all it6s associated folders and its in-box to my pre-existing Personal Outlook 2003 POP3 folders, I have had nothing but confusion. The Exchange Server account from my workplace downloads its messages into the in-Box for my private ISP POP3 account and vice versa. When I try to configure a rule for my personal POP3 account so that any messages addressed to my workplace account are loaded into the exchange server in-box on my client PC, the software tells me I have to go on-line to Exchange Server - even to create rules for th...

Access 2003
When attempting to create a report (via the wizard), I get the msg "The wizard is unable to create your report". I understand that this may be due to printer setup issues, but am not sure how to resolve. Other relevant facts: - Access 2003/Vista - I have printers installed & print regularly from other applications - When I try to print. print preview, or page setup while looking at a table (or form), nothing happens (I'm new to access, but it seems like I should be able to print a table?!) - as in I select any of the above options and nothing happens. Other posts...

how to import all Earthlink Total Access email into Outlook
I've been using Earthlink for years, but I like the new 2003 Outlook. However, I can't figure out how to import the contents of my Earthlink mailbox into Outlook. I don't want to lose anything -- inbox, sent mail, subfolders. Does Earthlink have a way to export your mail? "love2win" <love2win@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:37E03A40-F6AD-48D5-A90B-464C6BD1D1E0@microsoft.com... > I've been using Earthlink for years, but I like the new 2003 Outlook. > However, I can't figure out how to import the contents of my Earthlink > mai...

POP3 Ques. Outlk 03. Exchange server. want to rec'v POP3 but not
My desktop runs XP with Outlook 2003. Attached to office network. Network has an Exchange server. I have three email accts set up: Exchange - my office email; a POP3 acct which is my personal acct; and an IMAP acct using gmail. I have no problem with the Exchange acct or with the IMAP acct. I receive email via the POP3 acct. My Outlook is always trying to send on the POP3 but is unable to do that. I don't care. I want to turn off sending on the POP3 but receive the POP3 email. I think the constant effort to send on the POP3 acct is slowing my Outlook performance. An...

Webhosted POP3 without a Exchange POP3
Hello, My current environment includes a windows SBS 2003 domain with exchange 2003. Our e-mail currently is being webhosted and most of our users have Exchange POP3 mailboxes setup. This is working just fine for getting mail from the Internet. The problem that I am having is that I have a user who has a webhosted POP3 account but is not setup with a Exchange POP3 mailbox and since the user is not setup with the mailbox I can not send her e-mail and I get an error about an e-mail that does not exist at the organization. This makes sense because no Exchange mailbox was setup. I can not se...

Editable .doc bound report object in Access 2003
I have a report which containers a bound word file, which allows me to edit the wording in Word. However, when I convert the database to the .mde format, I loose that functionality. Is there a setting or a way I can keep that functionality for this report in the .mde version? Thanks. ...

Reports Not Accessible
Hello Everyone! We are currently having trouble accessing CRM reports. The report icon is missing from all related entities. What is wild is we can access the report server with no problems, and when I log into the CRM application server or the SQL sever and access the CRM application in IE explorer I receive the reports menu and can access all the reports just fine. Any thoughts or suggestions? r/ Anthony Akin Hi Did you find a solution to this problem, as we are experiencing the same problem of the report icon disappearing... it came back... now it has gone again. Thanks "awaki...

how convert Works wdb to Access mdb?
I have several MS Works wdb files that I need to convert to MS Access mdb files. Works can convert wdb files to csv, txt, or dbf files. Access can open only mdb, mda, mdw, and mde files. Is there any intermediary utility? While Access can only open the file types you indicated, it can import csv, txt or dbf files. Look under File | Get External Data. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (No private e-mails, please) "David" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:097201c3dc3d$9c89d3e0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have several...

Quick Access Toolbar
how do I delete an item from the quick access toolbar ? Right click it and see the options available. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> "Pancho Villa" <Pancho Villa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E64C8572-2C2A-4DC6-A9E5-32A9B3E193E1...

POP3 still not working
On July 17, Outlook and Outlook Express lost the ability to download email messages. Repeated calls to support have yielded nothing but "we are working on it". For 6 weeks????? This is an email program!!! Mysteriously, I have seen little press about this outage, perhaps the largest in a software product's history. I understand OE is free, but Outlook is not. I have paid a lot of money for a product that is crippled, and am not convinced anything is being done to fix it. Way to go, Microsoft. Interesting - my Outlook has never stopped working. Way to go Microsoft. --�...

convert Access 2000 file to Word 2002
Is there an easy way? An Access file CANNOT be converted to Word. You can export a report to Word. -- Lynn Trapp MS Access MVP www.ltcomputerdesigns.com Access Security: www.ltcomputerdesigns.com/Security.htm "Lee" <lpeavy@marlinengineering.com> wrote in message news:054b01c39351$0c6670a0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is there an easy way? ...

What is the change access developer 2007 do to the access data base?
Thank you I want to ask: What is the change access developer 2007 do to the access data base? Any article advice information Thank you I will give information for what I want example : The Microsoft office access run time 2007 hide ribbon when package the access data base Thank you again It does absolutely noting to the database. The intent of the Developer edition is to allow you to package your database along with a run-time version of Access so that people who don't already have Access installed on their machine can install the run-time version and use your application. ...

Can I perform linear regression with Access?
Can I do linear regression in Access without knowing how to write visual basic? Thx. On Mar 21, 3:43 pm, BilboBaggins<BilboBagg...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:> Can I do linear regression in Access without knowing how to write visual> basic? Thx.you should be able to do it in Excel - just link to the Access query/table containing your data... Then it's just a matter of finding thecorrect function in Excel, which should be pretty easy. Or did youneed an Access-only solution? On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:43:23 -0700, BilboBaggins<BilboBaggins@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Outlook Web Access User Name
Whenever I use Internet Explorer (under Win XP Pro) to remotely access my company email using Outlook Web Access (OWA), the "connect to" dialog box comes up with spots for User name and password. When I start typing in my user name, it tries to autofill using an invalid user name. Is there some way to delete this from the fill-in box permanently? I have tried all things, including a comprehensive delete of all internet explorer files, and all "locked" .dat files on boot up. Thanks very much! ...

Outlook 97 dr watson outlook.exe access violation
When using outlook I get a Dr Watson access violation error for outlook.exe when making changes to my calendar in my personal folder. Can anyone help with a solution? I've tried to create a new profile and that has not worked. There does not appear to be an answer in the MS knowledge base, and have tried all possible solutions there (and none have worked). ...