Please verify Exchange 2003 Move

Background:
-------------
- Server 1 - DC / Exchange 2003 (All Windows 2003/Exch 2003 Native)
- Server 2 - Member Server
- MX record at ISP, points to our internal mail server (Server 2)
- We do not use Public Folders

Goal:
-----
Move Exchange 2003 and all mailboxes to Server 2

Plan:
-----
(1)  Install a second Exchange 2003 on Server 2
(2)  Move all mailboxes to Server 2 with new Exchange install
(3)  Wait to all users Outlook 2003 profiles / settings have been recognized
for Server 2
(4)  Ask ISP to move MX record to point to Server 2
(5)  Remove Exchange 2003 from Server 1

Questions (# correspond to above):
-----------
(1)  When installing 2nd Exchange 2003, anything I need to do special asides
making sure it is joined to same ORG and uses same Administrative Groups?
(2)  Moving mailboxes - nothing special here...right?
(3)  When the user's mailbox is moved, their Outlook 2003 client will know
this right and changed the settings on client machine?
(4)  Look okay here?
(5)  Follow this KB
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822931&Product=exch2003
for removing first Exchange 2003 server

General question:
------------------
Anything I miss here or something you guys can suggest?  Are my concepts
here correct overall?

Thanks.

0
ralphg (1)

Looks pretty good in broad strokes.  I've found migrations like that to be
fairly straightforward in the past.

Question: Why do you need to change your MX record?  It doesn't actually
point directly at your Exchange box does it?  Generally the MX record should
point at your firewall which should then route the mail traffic to the
Exchange box inside.  You shouldn't need to change your MX record, just your
routing from the firewall.  Unless you have an unusual configuration.

--
Aloha,

-Ben-
Ben M. Schorr, OneNote-MVP
Roland Schorr & Tower
http://www.rolandschorr.com
Microsoft OneNote FAQ: http://www.factplace.com/onenotefaq.htm

Please post questions and replies here in the newsgroup.  Mahalo!

"Ralph <--" <ralphg@msn.com> wrote in message
> Background:
> -------------
> - Server 1 - DC / Exchange 2003 (All Windows 2003/Exch 2003 Native)
> - Server 2 - Member Server
> - MX record at ISP, points to our internal mail server (Server 2)
> - We do not use Public Folders
>
> Goal:
> -----
> Move Exchange 2003 and all mailboxes to Server 2
>
> Plan:
> -----
> (1)  Install a second Exchange 2003 on Server 2
> (2)  Move all mailboxes to Server 2 with new Exchange install
> (3)  Wait to all users Outlook 2003 profiles / settings have been
> recognized for Server 2
> (4)  Ask ISP to move MX record to point to Server 2
> (5)  Remove Exchange 2003 from Server 1
>
> Questions (# correspond to above):
> -----------
> (1)  When installing 2nd Exchange 2003, anything I need to do special
> asides making sure it is joined to same ORG and uses same Administrative
> Groups?
> (2)  Moving mailboxes - nothing special here...right?
> (3)  When the user's mailbox is moved, their Outlook 2003 client will know
> this right and changed the settings on client machine?
> (4)  Look okay here?
> (5)  Follow this KB
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822931&Product=exch2003
> for removing first Exchange 2003 server
>
> General question:
> ------------------
> Anything I miss here or something you guys can suggest?  Are my concepts
> here correct overall?
>
> Thanks.

0
bens1 (1425)
11/15/2005 9:59:37 AM
"Ralph <--" <ralphg@msn.com> wrote in message
> Background:
> -------------
> - Server 1 - DC / Exchange 2003 (All Windows 2003/Exch 2003 Native)
> - Server 2 - Member Server
> - MX record at ISP, points to our internal mail server (Server 2)
> - We do not use Public Folders
>
> Goal:
> -----
> Move Exchange 2003 and all mailboxes to Server 2
>
> Plan:
> -----
> (1)  Install a second Exchange 2003 on Server 2
> (2)  Move all mailboxes to Server 2 with new Exchange install
> (3)  Wait to all users Outlook 2003 profiles / settings have been
> recognized for Server 2
> (4)  Ask ISP to move MX record to point to Server 2
> (5)  Remove Exchange 2003 from Server 1
>
> Questions (# correspond to above):
> -----------
> (1)  When installing 2nd Exchange 2003, anything I need to do special
> asides making sure it is joined to same ORG and uses same Administrative
> Groups?

This is automatic

> (2)  Moving mailboxes - nothing special here...right?

Nope.

> (3)  When the user's mailbox is moved, their Outlook 2003 client will know
> this right and changed the settings on client machine?

Automatic.

> (4)  Look okay here?

Yep.

> (5)  Follow this KB
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822931&Product=exch2003
> for removing first Exchange 2003 server

All good.

> General question:
> ------------------
> Anything I miss here or something you guys can suggest?  Are my concepts
> here correct overall?

I've just been through it and this was pretty much how it worked out.
You really shouldn't need to change your MX record, it is usually simplier
to redirect the NAT/PAT map on the firewall to the 2nd Server's internal IP
address.

0
wakeupcall (43)

exchange 2003 sp1 to sp2 #2
Hi All: I'm getting ready to upgrade our existing 2003 Exchange Server (SP1) to SP2. This is running on a Windows 2000 SP4 Server box. Is this service pack a pretty straighforward installation? Is it fast to run? Do I need to stop any services before running it or stop the Exchange server somehow? We have a relatively small network, 130 users. There are no mobile device, like Blackberries, that we use with the Exchange server and no Outlook Web Access (yet). So, its just a very simple setup. We just have Outlook 2003 desktop clients and not much else other than calendars. Should...

Help with Regexp, please
Hi, The regular expression (\d{15,16}) matches a substring in a cell. I want to extract the remaining part of the cell ie. from the character after the matched substring till the end of the string in the cell using a regular expression. Is it possible to do this? Thanks in advance for the help. Regards, Raj Raj, with abcd15,16xyz in a cell the code below abstracts abcxyz. Maybe you can use this as a basis to develop your code Function GetSubstring(S As String) As String Dim re As Object Set re = CreateObject("vbscript.regexp") re.Pattern = &quo...

PLEASE PLEASE HELP
I Have an emergency... I deleted a macro !!! I have 60 rows with checkboxes on cells A1 trough A60 that automatically as checked were inserting current dates on the cell next to it. for some reason a disaster happened and the macro was deleted or messed up. I tried searching for help in these groups, but none so far. I found one, but it is not a macro besides when I use that function all the other previous dates keep changing when other checkboxes are checked on in different days of the week. If you can please guide me to the right answer I will appreciated. Hope I made sense with my explana...

Failover to different hosted exchange
Our company uses hosted exchange. We recently had a situation where our provider was down for an entire week (our entire dedicated cluster was down; we are leaving them soon), during which we could not send or receive emails (and we also lost some email that was sent to us during that time). We are looking for an intermediate solution as we decide whether to bring Exchange in house. It will be at least a quarter until we can do that. We are afraid that if we switch completely to another Exchange host, that they may be no better than our current one (which is supposed to be relatively good),...

How to move AD Exchange PF objects to other domain ?
Hello, A question on how to migrate/move the Exchange objects which resides in 'Microsoft Exchange System Objects' in the AD to another Domain ??? We migrated the exchange enviroment to the parent domain, but the public folder objects in AD remain in the container i mentioned above and i cant seem to find any method or tool to migrate these AD objects as well. The child domain will be removed when everything is migrated out of it. Any help welcome :) ---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy * http:/...

how to backup pst outlook 2003 for everything?
I do a backup and all I get back is my emails. How do I do one backup that saves contacts, sent mail, other folders? Don Smith wrote: > I do a backup and all I get back is my emails. How do I do one backup > that saves contacts, sent mail, other folders? Contacts, sent Items, tasks and calendar ARE in your pst file. They can't be anywhere else. Unless, you use Exchange server. -- Registered Linux User no 240308 to email me invalidate the invalid! In news:u5bpj217nq2dh37l313h141srrbn0p94ad@4ax.com, Don Smith <dhsmith@bellsouth.net> typed: > I do a backup and all I get...

Sum Function Help Please
I have created two Option Groups, setting up values against the radio buttons. The output from both boxes works fine (thanks to the Wizard), however when I'm creating a formula on the report, I'm unable to add the two returned values together. If I type in =([Q1]+[Q2]) then I get both numbers concatenated together (ie returned value from Q1 is 1 and returned value from Q2 is 2, the answer I get is 12 !!!!.) Interestingly if I enter =([Q1]-[Q2]) then I get the correct answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated here. I could be wrong, but it seems like access i...

2nd request for help -PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
went through a windows update and was asked to reboot which I did. I had Outlook open and closed it before rebooting - it was opened to contacts. when I tried to access Outlook I got an error message saying "your personal address book could not be opened. the file is either not accessible or not a personal address book. choose retry to access your personal address book, or choose cancel to not open your personal address book with this application." I have no other application to open this address book with! my contact info is detrumental to me as well as my Calendar ...

Exchange 2000 and Unix
Hi, We have a Exchange server which is connected to the internet via which we send/receive e-mail to the external world. We have a couple of Unix boxes (Solaris) which we want setup to connect to the Exchange server for sending e-mails to the Internet. However everytime an e-mail is send we get an error about relaying. Due to security reasons the Exchange admin cannot setup relaying. Is there another way to set this up, say via Exchange connector ? Please let me know. Thanks, Subho The Exchange Admin "could" configure relaying so specific machines can relay messages via yo...

Outlook 2003 and Exchange #2
Hello All, Everytime I check my mail on my pop3 server I get the following error message, Receiving reported error (0x80042108) outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (pop3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message ... I have exchange server 2003 installed on this machine as well. ...

Virus protection for exchange servers
Hello, I will soon be setting up an Exchange 2007 server. I plan on having my exchange server behind a Barracuda spam firewall wich scans for viruses. I was wondering about what virus protection I should use on the exchange server itself. Is symantec ok to use? Or is there some special virus scanning software I need to purchase that can intelligently scan the Exchange data base? Robert There are lots of solutions and lots of opinions as to which is best or even necessary. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "supersonic_...

Can't SEND SSL email out!! Please Help... it HURTZ!
OKay... being a bit silly about he hurting part. I have a strange email issue with some of my computers at home that I use for work. We have 4 computers. 2 of them work FINE, the other 2 have issues. I know the email accounts are working correctly because if I run them on the 2 *good* computers they work like they should. Configurations: (GOOD Notebooks) 1 - HP AMD-XP notebook with WinXP-Home SP1, Office 2000 2 - Sony P4 Notebook with WinXP-Home SP1, Office 2000 (Bad systems) 3 - Dell P3 notebook with WinXP-Pro SP1, Office 2002 4 - Compaq AMD-XP with WinXP-Home SP2, Office 2000 ALl ma...

Exchange 2003 accounts and passwords
All, We are going to change our domain account passowrds that exchange 5.5 and 2003 uses. Are there any gotcha's that I need to know? On Exchange 2003 I do know that exchange runs as a local accounts, but I need to make sure we don't break exchange by changing these passwords. Currently, we know how to change the 5.5 envrionment and the ADC, but I can't see anywhere within exchange 2003 that I need to update to make this a successful project. If there are any M$ articles that describe the process and the gotcha's. thanks, Fasteddie Exchange 2003 will not be affect...

In Word How do I switch off auto date insertion please
How can I disable? ...

Microsoft Exchange servers strip all inline CSS styles in HTML emails
I need help. I've been search for the last 3 days without luck, so I'm posting. I'm helping out the team that sends out HTML emails to our subscribers, and we're running into an issue where Microsoft Exchange servers strip all CSS inline styles. Specifically, this tag: <p style="padding:0px 5px 0px 18px;font-family:Lucida Grande,Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,san-serif;font-size:12px;line-height:16px;color:#666;"> Gets rewritten as: <p style=""> and <td colspan="2" style="padding:20px 0 20px 0"> gets rewrit...

I need help with SQL please
I have a form with a group box on it. The code for it is: 20 Select Case grpPlan.Value Case 1 30 strMon = "WorkRec" 40 Case 2 50 strMon = "IntRec" 60 Case 3 70 strMon = "FinalRec" 80 End Select After I select the one I want then the SQL is build based on the selection and a report is generated. strWhere = "EmpSuper.WorkRec=""" & strMon & _ """ or EmpSuper.IntRec=""" & strMon & _ &quo...

exchange intra/inter
Yes I have a local DNS which I have setup dhcp to deliver the ip to each pc on the network. Am I suppose to create a record on dns pointing the pop/smtp server to an ip? and while im on the subject, do I setup each pc on the network to have a local dns and private dns ip? Thanks, Sounds like your internal DNS is not resolving the name of your Exchange Server. Do you have internal (private) DNS setup for name resolution on your network, or are your clients using your ISP's DNS Servers. If the latter is true, then that's your problem. Can you ping (on the internal network) exch...

Please Please Please help
Hi I have a Worksheet with option buttons and I need the users to be able to click on the options but not be able to drag or move them. I don't want the users to be able to click into or type anything in any of the cells - only these options buttons???? How is it done. I have tried unlocking all cells and then locking the individual ones, but the user can still drag the option button around and they could do this by mistake thus upsetting the design of my sheet! I have tried protecting the sheet for Objects - but then I can't click on the option at all ....Please someone help...

ExMerge with 2003 SR-1 error
Hello all, I am not sure what is happening but I have an information store that is way bigger than what is should be. I performed an offline defrag. It gave me a bad page error so I did a offline repair. Success then I did a offline defrag and it brought down the size of the store but not much. I was figuring on extracting the pst's using exmerge, removing the edb/stm files and doing the second step of exmerge to put the mail etc back in. It gives me a information store not running or permissions problem error msg. Can anyone give me a bit of guidance on this... I would appr...

Trying to understand Pop3 Settings on Exchange 2003
I=92m trying to understand pop3 and Exchange 2003. I'm no expert at any of this so bare with me. When I look at the 2003 Exchange System Manager, If you go to /Servers/MyExchange/Protocals/Pop3 folder. When I double click on the pop3 I get a mailbox showing Default pop3 Virtual Server When I right click on that and go into properties then advanced I see TCP port 110 and SSL port 995 (see picture here) http://yfrog.com/3zexchangepop3interfacep The confusing for me is how clients are suppose to be set up. When I click the advanced tab on the outlook express and click =9...

conditional formatting help please 07-19-07
Hello, I am having trouble using the conditional formatting. I want the background of the "End Date" to turn red when the "Start Date" is entered and then for the red background to go away after an "End Date" is entered. I used the expression ("Start Time" Is Not Null) and that made my background red but I can't seem to figure out how to get the red background go away. I tried a couple of diffrent expression like setting another condition ("End Time" Is Not Null) but it didn't work. Can some please help me find the right express...

Bulk update send restrictions
Hi all, I'm trying to bulk update users 'Maximum Recipients' for all mailboxes in a certain database, I've cobbled together some powershell commands but they don't appear to work... which isn't suprising as I haven't got my head around powershell yet! Can anyone point me in the right direction? My current command is: Get-user -ResultSize Unlimited | where-object {$_.database -eq "BES-X07-SVR\Student Database"} | set-mailbox -RecipientLimits 5 It doesn't give errors, but just doesn't appear to do anything! I also need to do something similar...

Publisher 2003 color problems
Do I need to make sure video driver is updated if I have color issues in Publisher 2003....Such as color not appearing until I click Print Preview....Thanks lots.... -- moonznstrz It wouldn't hurt. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "moonznstrz" <moonznstrz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:786E3D6B-29E5-4A34-93CA-64909EE4CA64@microsoft.com... > Do I need to make sure video driver is updated if I have color issues in > Publisher 2003....Such as color not appearing until ...

Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 mail flow problem
Hi All ; My server systems : oldserver-exc2007, newserver1-exc2010 , newserver2-exchange2010 ( 2010 systems DAG enabled) I have migrated my mail server from exchange 2007 to exchange 2010 systems. I m moving some mailbox to the new servers. But i can send e-mail from old server (old@company.com - exchange 2007) to new server (new@company.com-exchange 2010 ) i CANT send mail from new server (new@company.com-exchange 2010 ) to the old mail server (old@company.com- Exchange 2007) All servers in same organiziation, same network, same domain. I havent create any connector. (...

modify macro
Hi everyone I'm VBA dumb so please bear with me. I have a macro that inserts a row at the selection and then I want it to copy the cell below the selection and paste into the new row's cell. Here's what's in the macro now Selection.EntireRow.Inser Range("D23").Selec Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("D22:D23"), Type:=xlFillCop Range("D22:D23").Selec When I run the macro, a row is inserted above the cursor's location (no matter where it's placed) but the AutoFill is always to D23. My question is how do I get the cod...