Please help me!! Exchange SBS 2000 - receives ok - hours to send!

Hello

I have a rather confusing situation at the moment. It is taking hours
for emails to arrive at addresses i send to through exchange server
2000 on SBS 2000. I receive emails to me instantly through exchange
server. To test the sending i set up a performance monitor to provide
the number of emails in the send queue. When i click send, the
performance shows the number in the queue as 1, then promptly returns
to 0. As far as i understand it, this shows the email has left the
queue. I have also looked at the queue in the system manager and frozen
the outbound email to monitor the queue. As soon as i send the email in
outlook it appears in the list. As soon as i unfreeze the queue it
sends. However, i receive nothing! I have tried multiple email
addresses. Internal email works fine and is sent/received immediately.

One thing of interest was the server time when i froze the queue in
system manager. It said it was 01:00 on the message when the actual
time is 18:00. Could this be anything to do with the delay? Any other
ideas?

Thanks for your help
Gareth Jones

It shouldn't have anything to do with the delay.

Can you post the full headers of one of the messages that took a long time?
We can then look at that and figure out where the delay was.

Alternatively, can you enable message tracking (if not already enabled) and
track the message and see how long it takes to leave your exchange server?

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

<gjoneshtfc@volcanomail.com> wrote in message
> Hello
>
> I have a rather confusing situation at the moment. It is taking hours
> for emails to arrive at addresses i send to through exchange server
> 2000 on SBS 2000. I receive emails to me instantly through exchange
> server. To test the sending i set up a performance monitor to provide
> the number of emails in the send queue. When i click send, the
> performance shows the number in the queue as 1, then promptly returns
> to 0. As far as i understand it, this shows the email has left the
> queue. I have also looked at the queue in the system manager and frozen
> the outbound email to monitor the queue. As soon as i send the email in
> outlook it appears in the list. As soon as i unfreeze the queue it
> sends. However, i receive nothing! I have tried multiple email
> addresses. Internal email works fine and is sent/received immediately.
>
> One thing of interest was the server time when i froze the queue in
> system manager. It said it was 01:00 on the message when the actual
> time is 18:00. Could this be anything to do with the delay? Any other
> ideas?
>
> Thanks for your help
> Gareth Jones

0
Ben
5/24/2006 5:15:16 PM
Thanks for the reply Ben.

I have since received an email but it was a later test. Since then i
have not been able to receive any others but if i use a different
external address it works occasionaly. I sent an email to four
different email addresses and it has arrived at one of them only - i
have no idea what is going on!

How would i enable tracking please? I would not like to post the full
message header on here as it contains email addresses and server
information. However, it went through the following servers:

Delivery-date: Wed, 24 May 2006 02:02:56 +0100
     by smtp1.mail.legend.net.uk with SMTP; 23 May 2006 13:39:37 +0100

It was originally sent:    Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:19:15 +0100

Hope this will give you the information to help me?!

Thanks again, Gareth

Update: I have just received the first test email i sent an hour and a
half ago! It could be my own server i guess but it is unlikely as the
email i sent to 4 addresses was for 4 different servers and my own
server is the only one still to have received it!

Regards, Gareth

gjonesh...@volcanomail.com wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Ben.
>
> I have since received an email but it was a later test. Since then i
> have not been able to receive any others but if i use a different
> external address it works occasionaly. I sent an email to four
> different email addresses and it has arrived at one of them only - i
> have no idea what is going on!
>
> How would i enable tracking please? I would not like to post the full
> message header on here as it contains email addresses and server
> information. However, it went through the following servers:
>
> Delivery-date: Wed, 24 May 2006 02:02:56 +0100
>      by smtp1.mail.legend.net.uk with SMTP; 23 May 2006 13:39:37 +0100
>
> It was originally sent:    Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:19:15 +0100
>
> Hope this will give you the information to help me?!
>
> Thanks again, Gareth

Another update!

More of my test emails are coming through now so perhaps the problem is
to do with the route and not the exchange server? Will the message
tracking confirm this?

Thanks, Gareth

The delay is occurring between smtp1.mail.legend.net.uk and
scanner3.mail.legend.net.uk (40 minutes),
and between
scanner3.mail.legend.net.uk and sho1.mail.x-isp.net (4 hours 20 minutes)
and between
sho1.mail.x-isp.net and sv1.svl-dataflame.com (~7 hours)

Are any of those servers your servers?

Are you sending all mail out through your ISP as a smarthost?  If so, stop
it, and let Exchange deliver the mail directly via DNS.

--

> Thanks for the reply Ben.
>
> I have since received an email but it was a later test. Since then i
> have not been able to receive any others but if i use a different
> external address it works occasionaly. I sent an email to four
> different email addresses and it has arrived at one of them only - i
> have no idea what is going on!
>
> How would i enable tracking please? I would not like to post the full
> message header on here as it contains email addresses and server
> information. However, it went through the following servers:
>
> Delivery-date: Wed, 24 May 2006 02:02:56 +0100
>     by smtp1.mail.legend.net.uk with SMTP; 23 May 2006 13:39:37 +0100
>
> It was originally sent:    Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 13:19:15 +0100
>
> Hope this will give you the information to help me?!
>
> Thanks again, Gareth

0
Ben
5/24/2006 6:49:57 PM
No, not really.  Message tracking will only confirm that the e-mail was
handed off from your server to another outside server, and how long that
exchange took.

Message headers are really the only thing that will show you which actual
route a message takes.

Message tracking is enabled on the properties of the server in Exchange
System Manager.  I recommend enabling the subject logging, and also
configuring old logs to be purged after a certain number of days.

--

> Another update!
>
> More of my test emails are coming through now so perhaps the problem is
> to do with the route and not the exchange server? Will the message
> tracking confirm this?
>
> Thanks, Gareth

0
Ben
5/24/2006 6:51:46 PM
Thanks for your help with this matter Ben. It must have been a problem
with one or more of the hops on the route as the emails have been
coming through fine for the past few days now.

Thanks again,
Gareth

CToolBar Help
Hello, I've been trying to add a toolbar to my dialog following the example from MSDN a http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vcmfc98/html/_mfc_ctoolbar.asp But for some reason I just can't add the toolbar I created. Here is my code: CToolBar m_toolbar; if (!m_toolbar.Create(this, WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | CBRS_TOP | CBRS_GRIPPER | CBRS_TOOLTIPS | CBRS_FLYBY | CBRS_SIZE_DYNAMIC, IDR_TOOLBAR1)) { MessageBox("Error -1"); } m_toolbar.LoadToolBar(IDR_TOOLBAR1); Could somebody please tell what, if anything, I am doing wrong? Thank you, V...

Office 2007 Professional: Help Files Issues
Gents, I cannot find a solution to this odd issue and before I submit a support ticket I thought I would ask the community. We have office 2007 professional (volume licensing) on a Window 2003 terminal server. We have a few users out of a bunch that get the "This page is unavailable" I have tried the Refresh and back. I've tried online and offline modes. In offline I get the table of contents to the left but same unavailable message when I click the links. I noticed on testing some other users, that apparently never used the help. That there are some prompts...

Spell Check Help
I have this code in the AfterUpdate in a TextBox set for a memo: If Len(Me!casefacts & "") > 0 Then DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSpelling Else Exit Sub End If everytime the spell check executs, it check the whole form. How can I get it to just check that one textbox and not everything else. bladelock wrote: >I have this code in the AfterUpdate in a TextBox set for a memo: > >If Len(Me!casefacts & "") > 0 Then > DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSpelling > Else > Exit Sub >End If &...

Help with Regexp, please
Hi, The regular expression (\d{15,16}) matches a substring in a cell. I want to extract the remaining part of the cell ie. from the character after the matched substring till the end of the string in the cell using a regular expression. Is it possible to do this? Thanks in advance for the help. Regards, Raj Raj, with abcd15,16xyz in a cell the code below abstracts abcxyz. Maybe you can use this as a basis to develop your code Function GetSubstring(S As String) As String Dim re As Object Set re = CreateObject("vbscript.regexp") re.Pattern = &quo...

exchange 2003 sp1 to sp2 #2
Hi All: I'm getting ready to upgrade our existing 2003 Exchange Server (SP1) to SP2. This is running on a Windows 2000 SP4 Server box. Is this service pack a pretty straighforward installation? Is it fast to run? Do I need to stop any services before running it or stop the Exchange server somehow? We have a relatively small network, 130 users. There are no mobile device, like Blackberries, that we use with the Exchange server and no Outlook Web Access (yet). So, its just a very simple setup. We just have Outlook 2003 desktop clients and not much else other than calendars. Should...

MS CRM-Exchange E-mail Routep setup problem
Hi, I have a question for you. I have MS Exchange 2007 & CRM 3.0. Exchange E-mail router installation fails. On System Requirements step i have error: 1. Microsoft Windows Operating System - OK 2. Microsoft CRM-Exchange E-mail Router Setup User Input - OK 3. The Microsoft Exchange administration tools are not installed on this server. What is "Microsoft Exchange administration tools" or where i can download this tools? You need to install router on exchange 2003 and this update is for exchange 2007 mail boxes but you still need exchange 2003. /aamir http://www.microsoft...

Default Value on Form Help
I have a query that calculates the total of a field in my table - Field Name in my Table is Total Value which calculates the total for a series of records that has the same invoice number. Field in in my query is Aggregate Value. I now have a form where I bring in the Aggregate Value. I need to create another Text box Value Verified where I bring in the Aggregate Value as a default, but I may have to change it if the Value has changed - but the Aggregate Value has to remain the same. I tried using default value on the form for the Value Verified Text control that brings in ...

Publisher 2007 Trial Help
I installed the trial version of Publisher 2007 and want to uninstall it now. I have tried to remove in the "add/remove" programs section. And I have also tried a suggestion I found in an earlier post about going to the "installer" and trying to uninstall it there. Oh and I tried repairing it and then trying to uninstall it. I can't even open the program from my programs menu and I can't get into the language section to check the language. It tells me that the language isn't compatible with my version or something to that effect. Nothing has worked...

Can I run exchange along with SQL Server?
Hi, I have a W2003 server running in an NT domain. It runs SQL 2000 server. When the domain is upgraded to Active Directory 2003, I plan to install Exchange 2000/2003 onto the same server as SQL and then migrate mailboxes from the two 5.5 servers currently used. Its q a small domain, only about 50 PCs, 50 mailboxes, 25 SQL users. Are there likely to be any compatibility issues with SQL and Exchange on the same server? I would have put it on another server but that one has to have Outlook installed on it for the fax system. Regards S W Steve W wrote: > Hi, > > I have a W2003 serve...

Failover to different hosted exchange
Our company uses hosted exchange. We recently had a situation where our provider was down for an entire week (our entire dedicated cluster was down; we are leaving them soon), during which we could not send or receive emails (and we also lost some email that was sent to us during that time). We are looking for an intermediate solution as we decide whether to bring Exchange in house. It will be at least a quarter until we can do that. We are afraid that if we switch completely to another Exchange host, that they may be no better than our current one (which is supposed to be relatively good),...

PLEASE PLEASE HELP
I Have an emergency... I deleted a macro !!! I have 60 rows with checkboxes on cells A1 trough A60 that automatically as checked were inserting current dates on the cell next to it. for some reason a disaster happened and the macro was deleted or messed up. I tried searching for help in these groups, but none so far. I found one, but it is not a macro besides when I use that function all the other previous dates keep changing when other checkboxes are checked on in different days of the week. If you can please guide me to the right answer I will appreciated. Hope I made sense with my explana...

How to move AD Exchange PF objects to other domain ?
Hello, A question on how to migrate/move the Exchange objects which resides in 'Microsoft Exchange System Objects' in the AD to another Domain ??? We migrated the exchange enviroment to the parent domain, but the public folder objects in AD remain in the container i mentioned above and i cant seem to find any method or tool to migrate these AD objects as well. The child domain will be removed when everything is migrated out of it. Any help welcome :) ---------------------------------------------- Posted with NewsLeecher v1.0 Final * Binary Usenet Leeching Made Easy * http:/...

CRM with MSDE, not SQL Server 2000
I seem to be reading some conflicting things. I'm trying to install CRM on windows server 2003. Do I need to use sql server 2000 or can I setup msde to work with it as the CRM database? For the CRM Server, only SQL Server 2000 is supported. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. www.workopia.com "Dr. Silk" wrote: > I seem to be reading some conflicting things. I'm trying to install > CRM on windows server 2003. Do I need to use sql server 2000 or can I > setup msde to work with it as the CRM database? > > And the best way to get that for the smaller offices is v...

Cannot access a file -- HELP
I have this problem at work (using Excel 2000 Windows 2000) and at home (Excel 2003, Windows XP Pro). SOMETIMES...not always, I try to access a file on a network drive I get the message: "path..filename could not be found. Check the spelling of the file name and verify that the file location is correct". Once I get the message on that file, I always get it on the file....but there might be 27 others in the same folder that I can open. And I get the message if I try to open the file via explorer or via Excel. If I copy the file to my C: drive it opens fine. I even tried t...

Sum Function Help Please
I have created two Option Groups, setting up values against the radio buttons. The output from both boxes works fine (thanks to the Wizard), however when I'm creating a formula on the report, I'm unable to add the two returned values together. If I type in =([Q1]+[Q2]) then I get both numbers concatenated together (ie returned value from Q1 is 1 and returned value from Q2 is 2, the answer I get is 12 !!!!.) Interestingly if I enter =([Q1]-[Q2]) then I get the correct answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated here. I could be wrong, but it seems like access i...

2nd request for help -PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE
went through a windows update and was asked to reboot which I did. I had Outlook open and closed it before rebooting - it was opened to contacts. when I tried to access Outlook I got an error message saying "your personal address book could not be opened. the file is either not accessible or not a personal address book. choose retry to access your personal address book, or choose cancel to not open your personal address book with this application." I have no other application to open this address book with! my contact info is detrumental to me as well as my Calendar ...

Exchange 2000 and Unix
Hi, We have a Exchange server which is connected to the internet via which we send/receive e-mail to the external world. We have a couple of Unix boxes (Solaris) which we want setup to connect to the Exchange server for sending e-mails to the Internet. However everytime an e-mail is send we get an error about relaying. Due to security reasons the Exchange admin cannot setup relaying. Is there another way to set this up, say via Exchange connector ? Please let me know. Thanks, Subho The Exchange Admin "could" configure relaying so specific machines can relay messages via yo...

Access is blocked from sending emails via Outlook 2000
I have a few macros in Access that send out emails with data to a list. Since we moved to Outlook 2000, that functionality is no longer available. Outlook spits out a message asking user permission to proceed with this. Is there some way to turn off this warning on a user level? That is, I don't want my entire organization to be able to do this, just a couple of people. TIA, Poorna. You'll need to either change how you do it from access or use Click yes. For more information on the security features, see http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - O...

In Word How do I switch off auto date insertion please
How can I disable? ...

Exchange 2003 accounts and passwords
All, We are going to change our domain account passowrds that exchange 5.5 and 2003 uses. Are there any gotcha's that I need to know? On Exchange 2003 I do know that exchange runs as a local accounts, but I need to make sure we don't break exchange by changing these passwords. Currently, we know how to change the 5.5 envrionment and the ADC, but I can't see anywhere within exchange 2003 that I need to update to make this a successful project. If there are any M$ articles that describe the process and the gotcha's. thanks, Fasteddie Exchange 2003 will not be affect...

Remove template help task pane from startup
I created an invoice using one of Microsoft's templates. The help template appeared when I was designing the invoice. Now that the invoice is finished, I would like for the help template to NOT appear. I went to Tools-Options and unchecked "startup task pane" and also went to Tools-Customize and unchecked "Task Pane". This made the task pane go away, but only until I opened it again. Is there any way to make it not show up every time I open the document? ...

Virus protection for exchange servers
Hello, I will soon be setting up an Exchange 2007 server. I plan on having my exchange server behind a Barracuda spam firewall wich scans for viruses. I was wondering about what virus protection I should use on the exchange server itself. Is symantec ok to use? Or is there some special virus scanning software I need to purchase that can intelligently scan the Exchange data base? Robert There are lots of solutions and lots of opinions as to which is best or even necessary. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "supersonic_...

Sending from 2 different computers
I have Outlook 2003 on my desktop at home and 2002 on my laptop while traveling. My server is Comcast. I would strongly prefer to use Outlook (rather than Comcast's webmail) on both computers. I have configured Outlook on both computers to receive email. I can also leave a copy on the server so it can be downloaded again later on the other computer, assuring that I always have copies of all emails no matter which computer I'm using. Problem is I can't send from my laptop. I've tried Comcast's instructions for configuring Outlook 2002 for use while traveling, but it doesn&...

Can't SEND SSL email out!! Please Help... it HURTZ!
OKay... being a bit silly about he hurting part. I have a strange email issue with some of my computers at home that I use for work. We have 4 computers. 2 of them work FINE, the other 2 have issues. I know the email accounts are working correctly because if I run them on the 2 *good* computers they work like they should. Configurations: (GOOD Notebooks) 1 - HP AMD-XP notebook with WinXP-Home SP1, Office 2000 2 - Sony P4 Notebook with WinXP-Home SP1, Office 2000 (Bad systems) 3 - Dell P3 notebook with WinXP-Pro SP1, Office 2002 4 - Compaq AMD-XP with WinXP-Home SP2, Office 2000 ALl ma...

Please Please Please help
Hi I have a Worksheet with option buttons and I need the users to be able to click on the options but not be able to drag or move them. I don't want the users to be able to click into or type anything in any of the cells - only these options buttons???? How is it done. I have tried unlocking all cells and then locking the individual ones, but the user can still drag the option button around and they could do this by mistake thus upsetting the design of my sheet! I have tried protecting the sheet for Objects - but then I can't click on the option at all ....Please someone help...