PIX SMTP Guard and SMTP Connector

Hi All,

We have two exchanges like bellow

ExchangeA---PIX A-------Internet--------PIX B-----ExchangeB

Now PIX B's SMTP Guard is on. PIX A's SMTP Guard is off. Exchange A and
ExchangeB are configured to communicate use SMTP connector.

Is it ok to turn both PIX's SMTP guard on?

Thanks

George

0
georgehsc (12)

"George" <georgehsc@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>We have two exchanges like bellow
>
>ExchangeA---PIX A-------Internet--------PIX B-----ExchangeB
>
>Now PIX B's SMTP Guard is on. PIX A's SMTP Guard is off. Exchange A and
>ExchangeB are configured to communicate use SMTP connector.
>
>Is it ok to turn both PIX's SMTP guard on?

I don't think so. The Exchange servere want to use the XEXCH50 ESMTP
keyword and PIX blocks ESMTP.

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

> "George" <georgehsc@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >We have two exchanges like bellow
> >
> >ExchangeA---PIX A-------Internet--------PIX B-----ExchangeB
> >
> >Now PIX B's SMTP Guard is on. PIX A's SMTP Guard is off. Exchange A and
> >ExchangeB are configured to communicate use SMTP connector.
> >
> >Is it ok to turn both PIX's SMTP guard on?
>
> I don't think so. The Exchange servere want to use the XEXCH50 ESMTP
> keyword and PIX blocks ESMTP.
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

fred5019 (1)

Outlook connector for Domino and Lotus Notes mails #2
Hello, I am using The Outlook connector for Domino in order to access my e-mail in a Domino server via Outlook 2003, instead of the Lotus Notes R5 client. I have found out that all e-mails that I see in Outlook 2003 from people who use the Lotus Notes client have its Type property set to "Message (Rich Text)". So, each time I reply to such a message, Outlook decides to use "rich text" format to compose the answer. The problem is that I have looked at the configuration of the Lotus Notes clients and they are all setup to "Send messages as HTML". In addition, th...

Corrupted SMTP address
Exchange 2003 with SP2. 8 sights, mixed mode. Strange thing happened today, all users at a one site were unable to send or recive email. Noone can send them email too. NDR. Upon invistigation I found that their SMTP email address in ADUC geneal tab has changed to {Intenet email address} instead of the ususal useranme@xyzcompany.com. The email addresses in the Email adress tab are intact. The only change that was made, and I am not sure if anyone tried to import anything into AD, is with the default receipent policy, the previous day. Did I mention each site has their own policy that was...

SMTP Addresses
I have a user that did a little 'experimenting' on her own about an issue she was having. If someone sent her a message using upper case letters in her address: Uppercase@whatever.domain the mail would take a lot longer before it finally showed up in her mailbox. If, however, they sent it to her using her correct address - all lowercase: lowercase@whatever.domain it would be delivered immediately. What is the magic button to take away the case sensitivity oh the SMTP addresses? Thanks for any reply - LOL! Maybe you ought to verify these resu...

Rules for different smtp addresses for 1 user.
In exchange my user account is set-up with 2 smtp addresses. 1) Erik@mycompany.com and 2) jreed@mycompany.com (this is the primary SMTP address) so any email sent to those 2 addresses comes to my inbox. I tried to create a rule in outlook XP to place the email to erik@mycompany.com into a seperate folder. Turns out that this can not be done! OUCH! it appears all incoming mail is translated to the local account name and the smtp address is not referenced at all???? I do not want to have to create a seperate user and maintain 2 different mailboxes. I have to be missing how to do thi...

setting exchange2003 to use external smtp for mail delivery
I would like to forward all mail to an smtp server belonging to my isp for delivery rather than trying to deliver the mail directly from exchange - Could anyone help with some advice on how to do this? Thanks Martin You didn't specify if you are using a connector or not, but in essence you want to specify a smart host. Since I'm looking at a single server setup w/out a connector, the place to specify is on the SMTP virtual server's delivery tab > advanced button. "mart-the-shrew" <marttheshrew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D96C7E68...

Exchange Server 5.5 SMTP log #2
I am running Exchange server 5.5 on a LAN. How can I track email by user. I would like to see what email a user receives and sends on a daily basis (don't want to read the mail, but the header and stuff like that). Can I do this with Exchange (so yes how) or is their a 3rd party software package I can purchase? Message Tracking logs will give you sender, recipient, size and date of the message. Message Journaling will give you message contents. "Michael J." wrote: > I am running Exchange server 5.5 on a LAN. How can I track > email by user. I would like to see what...

SMTP TL SSL
Hi, I'm runing exchange front-end server (last sp applied and update of OS right) in a perimeter network. OWA is still runing fine with SSL and a private Certificate. I setup IMAP/SMTP access to our outlook express mobile user's clients connecting from internet. IMAP is runing fine to retrieve mail, I still have a problem with SMTP. I had create a SMTP virtual server (with the same name as the name of the certificate I use on to the IIS server) on port 2525. In the user control access settings I just uncheck anonymous and check basic authentication with TLS checked. The certifica...

Exchange 2003 smtp connector
I have a customer that has been running SBS 2003. To send email, I had to set up an SMTP connector since their ISP would not let them send email unless it went through their servers. This worked great until this morning when the server died. As a temporary solution, I took an old server from one of their other offices that was running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 and set it up in the office. I reset the connector but it will not work. I just need to get this temporary solution up until new hard drives come in. I added security but that did not help. I tried a smart host in the SMTP c...

SMTP Logs #3
I have never had a chance to see SMTP Logs for troubleshooting ... Are they very helpful? If yes, what am I suppose to look in there and when should I go to check the logs? Thank you in advance. smtp logs - depending on what you're loggin - can be quite helpful. they tell you what transpired between 2 smtp hosts. when you set diagnostic level of smtp log to max it can log entire message content. you want to look for 4xx and 5xx codes - the 400s being temporary issues, and the 500s may require some admin intervention. How frequently? depends on your environment - size of logs ...

Exchange 2003 can't connect to SMTP on internal IP address
We have Exchange 2003 server no service packs. This has 2 IP addresses used for SMTP. We were looking to lockdown our Exchange server to only allow mail from our email provider. After setting this up we thought it would be better to do this at the firewall level, so we undid the changes we made. The changes were as follows: Created a global accept list Created a global deny list Created connection filter to an SMTP virtual server No reboot took place during this. When undoing the change we removed the IP list before the virtual SMTP server. This may have caused the problems out...

sp2 SMTP Engine update
In SP 2 for Exchange inludes a change to the SMTP engine that prevents it from attempting to resolve the sender address to a display name on messages that are submitted anonymously. In my testing i have found that this is not the case. I telneted from an off site machine to port 25 on my Exchange 2003 sp2 server and sent a message as a user on the internal network that does have a mailbox on Exchange, and sent the email to another user on exchange, and the email was recived and it did show the display name not the email address. I tested this out with another Exchange sp2 server that...

Questions about Microsoft Office Outlook Connector (Beta)
Hello, I have some questions about this tool, where I am not sure if the reason is maybe a config problem: -Each time I start Outlook it ask me for the passwords, the field with the password is filled out, I must only push "OK", but why the messages appear? (Save password is checked, but seems not to work) -In the toolbar I have a yellow "!" because I am not a premium user and therefore I can't sync the calendar. It's possible to disable the calendar feature? Or the warning icon about this? I can't see at the moment if there is a problem with Hotmail or contacts...

Re: smtp service bug?
According to RFC 821, a "." (dot) immediately before or after the @ is an invalid SMTP address. Mike Ober. "Francesco" <lvfranz_remove_me@tiscali.it> wrote in message news:ed62hu$qlv$2@fata.cs.interbusiness.it... >I have see that, also in the latest build, the email address formatted as > xxx.yyy.@wwww.it are not accepted: the problem seems to be the latest dot > before @. > > Anyone have similar experience? > > > Francesco ...

smtp connector #19
Hi i use SBS 2003 with exchange 2003, i often receive email with exchange error 5.3.5 bounce ... can help me to resolve this problem? I use pop3 connector to download email from my isp, some users have only email and no AD authentication, when internal user send email to one of this receive the same error as above or user unknow, do you think if i use smartHost in smtp connector i resolve this problem? Tia Pupo 5.3.5 indicates a looping problem. Check your configuration to find out why this is happening or explain how you have your Virtual Servers and connectors configured so we can ...

Microsoft Connector POP3 terminted unexpectedly
Hello We are running SBS 2000 with MS Exchange. This Message is frequently displayed and also logged in the event viewer.. The Microsoft Connector for POP3 Mailboxes service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 900000 milliseconds: Restart the service. How do we resolve this issue? regards ben whats the service pack running on? and do you use pop3? if you dont you can safley stop that service Thanks "ben" wrote: > Hello > > We are running SBS 2000 with MS Exchange. This Message is frequently > d...

Outlook reports Error 4203 when Hotmail Connector syncs
I have the released version of the Outlook Hotmail connector (14.0.4760.1000) installed with the RTM version of Outlook 2010 (also 14.0.4760.1000). Whenever I perform Send/Receive, Outlook appears to synchronize everything: sent mail is dispatched, mail in my inbox and other folders appears—or disappears—as expected. However, a “Send/Receive error” always appears in Outlook’s status bar, and the following always appears on the Errors tab of the Send/Receive Progress dialog: “Task ‘xxxxxxx@msn.com’ reported error (0x80004005): ‘There is an error synchronizing your mail account...

SMTP Vritual Server error
I've started seeing this error the past couple days this in the System Log on ExchServer2003. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with our DNS servers (nothing unusual seen in the logs.) Event Type: Error Event Source: smtpsvc Event Category: None Event ID: 2013 Date: 5/20/2005 Time: 5:37:13 AM User: N/A Computer: PLANET Description: SMTP could not connect to any DNS server. Either none are configured, or all are down. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. Data: 0000: 7c 26 00 00 |&.. Hi Chri...

Default Exchange Receive Connector
Hi all, I just installed Exchange 2007. There were two receive connectors already setup during install, I have a question on the "Default Exchange Receive Connector." If I want public mail servers to be able to send mail to my exchange server, do I need to enable "Anonymous Users" on the "Permissions Group Tab" of that connector? Robert Exchange Server 2007: internet email without Edge servers http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2006/07/exchange-server-2007-internet-email.html -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia....

RE: NDR's from smtp server
I am receiving a large amount of NDR's from my smtp server. It is refusing both good and bad addresses, internal users, and users that do not exists. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. ...

Calendar issues with Outlook Connector
Hello- Any help would be appreciated on this one- Is there a way to utilize Outlook Connector SOLELY for email (i.e., Hotmail), without it adding another Calendar profile, etc.? I utilize the seperate "Calendar in Personal Folder" for all my calendar needs. When I load Outlook Connector and add my Hotmail account, Outlook automatically sets a new, blank Calendar as the default. Aside from it being an annoyance, when I try to set a new appointment with a reminder in my "Calendar in Personal Folder", I get an error message that "The reminder for ___ will not a...

Exchange 2003: SMTP service takes all bandwidth!
I encountered a problem with an Exchange 2003 server (running on Windows Server 2003.) Last week, Exchange started shutting down and the Internet connection (DSL) had unusually high traffic. I quickly traced this problem to the NetSky.B worm. Downloaded the virus update and cleaning tool, disconnected from the Internet, and cleaned all machines on the network. However, as soon as I restarted the SMTP service, the DSL connection became totally bogged down again, so busy it wasn't allowing any traffic. This even happens when I disable outbound mail in Exchange, and even after I emptied all t...

Exchange 2003 SMTP QUIT
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = PROBLEM: Problem is that OUR SERVER is sending QUIT-, instead of sending MAIL FROM: MY Server open a SMTP connection REMOTE Server says 220 .. MY Server says EHLO to REMOTE Server REMOTE Server says 250 ... MY Server then say QUIT ! (instead of MAIL FROM ....) We have::Exchange 2003 , cu SP1, pe Windows 2003.. Exchange has also IMF (spam filter from Microsoft) and Symantec Mail Security for Exchange 4.5. all PTR is installed and working OK. The SMTP Server is workin OK a while, then it start opening a lot of connections (7-10 /sec) t...

SMTP abruptly dies after installing Windows Update security patch.
All I'm having a strange problem with my SMTP abruptly dieing. My Outlook 2002 sp2 is able to receive but abruptly stopped being able to send through SMTP last week after running Microsoft Update and installing recent security patches and installing Norton Antivirus. I've uninstalled NAV and rolled back the security patches but am still unable to send through SMTP. I'm using 2 different SMTP servers both with authorization on private servers (not ISP) with settings that worked up until last week. I've tried with a different machine, same settings work fine. I'm runnin...

SMTP Filtering possible??
Hi!! I have SBS 2003 and I would like to configure the following on my Exchange: I want to send Emails to anyone on the Internet, but I want to recieve Internet mails from selected e-mails adresses. Ej, User Bill can send e mails to anyone outside, but he can only recieve external e-mails from sue@domain.com Is this can be done?? Thaks in advise Manny Little hacking with Rulez Wizard should do the job. Manny wrote: > Hi!! > > > I have SBS 2003 and I would like to configure the > following on my Exchange: > > > I want to send Emails to anyone on the ...

How to set the SMTP server in OL2000
How to set the Outlook 2000 to send email by a specific SMTP server? (I have Exchange Server in the profile.) Su wrote: > How to set the Outlook 2000 to send email by a specific SMTP server? > (I have Exchange Server in the profile.) If you have OL2000, you can't use Internet Mail and Exchange in the same profile - it isn't supported. Either use a different profile for your Internet mail, or use OE for same, or upgrade to OL2003 which can handle both types of accounts in one profile - or if this is mail on your company domain, talk to the Exchange admin about having the Ex...