Permanently delete recycle bin give more free space to the server?

Hi,
I hav a server running NT Server with Exchange 5.5, and set 3 days to delete
permanently all Deleted Items Folders.  The info. on Private IS shows deleted
items has been deleted.  Why the free space on the server has not increase?
Can I get more free space on the server by deleting permanently Deleted
Items Folders?
Thank you in advance.

0
Andy1200 (318)

Deleting items from the database increases the amount of free space in the
database, but does not shrink the DB file.  Do do that , you have to take
the daatabase offline and  run eseutil...

See
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/55/maintain/edbwp.mspx#EKGAC
for some more info...

In news:7E9DD7F3-EFDA-4075-856C-2F245D8841C6@microsoft.com,
Andy <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Hi,
> I hav a server running NT Server with Exchange 5.5, and set 3 days to
> delete permanently all Deleted Items Folders.  The info. on Private
> IS shows deleted items has been deleted.  Why the free space on the
> server has not increase? Can I get more free space on the server by
> deleting permanently Deleted Items Folders?
> Thank you in advance.

No, your recycle bin has nothing to do with this.
Your Exchange database files do not 'shrink' when you delete items from the
stores - they merely have whitespace in them that Exchange will reuse. You
can see how much whitespace there is by looking for the Exchange online
maintenance entries in your application event logs on the server -

If you wanted to shrink the database files themselves, you'd have to do an
offline defrag using eseutil - this is not something that should be run on a
regular basis (as mentioned, Exchange reuses the whitespace in the files).

If you're running low on disk space on your Exchange server, get more
disks/move the databases & logs to another volume.

You *are* running regular *online* nightly backups of your Exchange server
using NTBackup (or a third party backup app with its Exchange agent, and
*not* brick/mailbox level backups), right? You have to do that - to purge
committed logs.

0
lanwench (7567)
2/10/2006 5:18:52 PM
Thank you all for your quick reply.
My server has 350MB left.  How much free space is enough for a server with
10users?  How to move database files to other disks?  My priv.edb is 1.3GB,
is there any way or software to resize it to half?
I found proxy.csv in c:\smallbusiness\html\logs is 286MB.  What's it and can
I delete or move it to other disk without any harm?
Thanks again.

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:

> In news:7E9DD7F3-EFDA-4075-856C-2F245D8841C6@microsoft.com,
> Andy <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> > Hi,
> > I hav a server running NT Server with Exchange 5.5, and set 3 days to
> > delete permanently all Deleted Items Folders.  The info. on Private
> > IS shows deleted items has been deleted.  Why the free space on the
> > server has not increase? Can I get more free space on the server by
> > deleting permanently Deleted Items Folders?
> > Thank you in advance.
>
> No, your recycle bin has nothing to do with this.
> Your Exchange database files do not 'shrink' when you delete items from the
> stores - they merely have whitespace in them that Exchange will reuse. You
> can see how much whitespace there is by looking for the Exchange online
> maintenance entries in your application event logs on the server -
>
> If you wanted to shrink the database files themselves, you'd have to do an
> offline defrag using eseutil - this is not something that should be run on a
> regular basis (as mentioned, Exchange reuses the whitespace in the files).
>
> If you're running low on disk space on your Exchange server, get more
> disks/move the databases & logs to another volume.
>
> You *are* running regular *online* nightly backups of your Exchange server
> using NTBackup (or a third party backup app with its Exchange agent, and
> *not* brick/mailbox level backups), right? You have to do that - to purge
> committed logs.

0
Andy1200 (318)
2/10/2006 8:08:28 PM

In news:5D082FD9-F8EF-47D3-B23A-E13F86F0E9DC@microsoft.com,
Andy <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Thank you all for your quick reply.
> My server has 350MB left.

On what volume/disk? Or do you not have more than one?

> How much free space is enough for a server
> with 10users?

that's a difficult question to answer, the way you've phrased it. From the
persepective of the OS itself, note that you really don't want to have
anything less than 10% free space. That's just for the OS.

> How to move database files to other disks?

I'm not sure about SBS2000 (and you should probably post in an SBS group)
but you would use the Performance Optimizer to move databases and logs to
new locations (new disks, volumes, folders, etc) in Exchange 5.5.

The SBS 2k group is microsoft.public.backoffice.smallbiz2000. SBS does a lot
of things differently, and you should generally go there first....

> My
> priv.edb is 1.3GB, is there any way or software to resize it to half?

Only if there's enough whitespace to make it worthwhile. That is a very
small database.

> I found proxy.csv in c:\smallbusiness\html\logs is 286MB.  What's it
> and can I delete or move it to other disk without any harm?
> Thanks again.

That's an SBS question, I believe. Try the SBS group.

> "Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]" wrote:
>

>> In news:7E9DD7F3-EFDA-4075-856C-2F245D8841C6@microsoft.com,
>> Andy <Andy@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>> Hi,
>>> I hav a server running NT Server with Exchange 5.5, and set 3 days
>>> to delete permanently all Deleted Items Folders.  The info. on
>>> Private IS shows deleted items has been deleted.  Why the free
>>> space on the server has not increase? Can I get more free space on
>>> the server by deleting permanently Deleted Items Folders?
>>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> No, your recycle bin has nothing to do with this.
>> Your Exchange database files do not 'shrink' when you delete items
>> from the stores - they merely have whitespace in them that Exchange
>> will reuse. You can see how much whitespace there is by looking for
>> the Exchange online maintenance entries in your application event
>> logs on the server -
>>
>> If you wanted to shrink the database files themselves, you'd have to
>> do an offline defrag using eseutil - this is not something that
>> should be run on a regular basis (as mentioned, Exchange reuses the
>> whitespace in the files).
>>
>> If you're running low on disk space on your Exchange server, get more
>> disks/move the databases & logs to another volume.
>>
>> You *are* running regular *online* nightly backups of your Exchange
>> server using NTBackup (or a third party backup app with its Exchange
>> agent, and *not* brick/mailbox level backups), right? You have to do
>> that - to purge committed logs.

0
lanwench (7567)

Delete symbol association
Is there a way of deleting a Symbol association in MM 2006 Premium? What I mean is, MM doesn't seem to recognize that FFFFX is the symbol for Fidelity Freedom 2040 fund. In my frustration in trying to figure out why MM wouldn’t recognize the symbols fund, I think I somehow accidentally associated the Symbol to an incorrect fund, thoough I have no idea how it happened. Now, whenever adding an investment to an account and selecting the fund named 'Fidelity Freedom 2040' from the 'Investment' dropdown, MM shows the wrong 'Last Price' and 'Change' since i...

Delete mailbox with command line
Hello, Does anyone know how to use command line to delete a mailbox in 5.5, I have some that will create but cannot find any to delete. Thanks, Adam XADM: Bulk Import/Export FAQ PSS ID Number: 155414 Adam wrote: > Hello, > > Does anyone know how to use command line to delete a > mailbox in 5.5, I have some that will create but cannot > find any to delete. > > Thanks, > > Adam Thanks for that, I am alot closer to where I need to be now. I can get it to export the info fine, but it doesn't delete the mailbox and I cant see what I have to do to get it ...

Deleting a class
I inserted a new class into my project(Header file & .CPP). Now I would like to delete that class and reuse the old class's name. But after deleting its still there somewhere haunting me. Any help appreciated! Most likely, one of your files still include the header file. You should completely delete the source files or move them to another location. Then if you get problems compiling, examine the errors for clues to where an old reference may still exist. -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits Programming http://www.softcircuits.com "MikeChicago" <MikeChicago@discussions.m...

Help deleting a page from CPropertySheet
I have a CPropertySheet derived class called CAddTenantSheet. The following code creates the sheet fine. CAddTenantSheet sheet; CAddTenantPage1 m_page1; CAddTenantPage2 m_page2; sheet.AddPage(&m_page1); sheet.AddPage(&m_page2); sheet.SetWizardMode(); sheet.DoModal(); I would like to know how to delete m_page2 during the call to m_page1. Once I get the code working, I will use it to delete sheets that aren't needed, based on yes/no responses on earlier sheets. At the moment, may OnInitDialog() function in CAddTenantPage1 is BOOL CAddTenantPage1::OnInitDialog() { CPropertyPage:...

Does HQ require a dedicated server?
I currently have 2 store running RMS v1.2. I am adding another store and I want to add HQ. Do I need a dedicated server? There seems to be a real lack of info on the Microsoft website. Are there any good manuals for HQ? We have always installed a server and a full version of SQL Server with HQ Installs - usually Small Business Server Premium. HQ databases grow much more quickly that Store databases, and the 2GB MSDE limit will quickly become a problem. Also, a server is generally a much more robust piece of equipment, with at least some level of redundancy built in. You should...

deleting messages in the newsgroups
Is there a simple way, like OE did, that will allow you to clean out (delete) old messages besides selecting them all and deleting? How did you do it with OE? WKMail works the same. To delete all: Highlight one and Ctrl + A will highlight them all. - Delete. To delete a section: Highlight the first one you want to delete. Scroll down to the last one and click on it while holding the Shift key down. - Delete. To delete multiple messages that are interspersed: Hold down the Ctrl key while you click on each message to highlight. - Delete. -- Bruce Hagen ...

Free/Busy: "No Information" After May 31
Hello, It was brought to my attention that when my users go to schedule appointments the scheduling part of the free/busy shows the striped "No Information" as soon as it hits June 1. It's not like it is only going out a certain number of days...it stops showing info after May 31. We are running Exchange 2003 with mostly Office 2003 clients. I am not sure where to look. Here's a starting point for you. It has the architecture of free/busy and troubleshooting steps http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/FreeBusy-Folders-Exchange-Server-2003-Depth.html "mpallo&qu...

Email system failure on a singlel Exchange 2003 server running Windows 2003 standard having message store issues
Have two servers running Exchange 2003. FS2 is PDC AND FS3 runs exchange 2003. We had a power failure and it corrupted the message store. The backup was also no good because of a hardware failure. Using the recovery storage group process, I was able to copy the existing edb, and stm files off the server, create a recovery storage group, move the recovery storage group files into the primary storage group area and get the users emailing again, but I have the corrupted message and streaming files and a bunch of log files. I ran eseutil /p /r and the files seem to be fine. Just to j...

query to delete negative numbers in HQ
Hello all, I have some negative items trapped in my HQ that are not in any of my stores inventories. I believe this happened when the supplier was changed. Is there a simple query to drop these negative numbers out of HQ?. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_008C_01CA5950.12193CA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Patrick, How about running a 501 worksheet and then a 190 task. --=20 Jeff=20 Check Point Software Search this newsgroup -- http://tinyurl.com/2lmk4w (Stolen from DRS) =3D=3D=3...

delete from combo box
Why deletion from a combo box is not working ? I have a control in my form called productid. In the onClick event of this control i have : Dim StrSQL As String StrSQL = "DELETE * FROM [order details1] WHERE ProductID = " & Me!productid & ";" CurrentDb.Execute StrSQL When i change the control from a text box into a combo box nothing happens and no deletion occurs.However when i change again from como box into a text box the deletion is OK. How can i make the onclick event work also with the combo box ? -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmons...

How to permanently delete files?
Lets say I delete files with explorer and then empty the recycle bin. Then I use a program to wipe all unused disk space on all the drives. I verified this by watching the disk space on the drive go to zero. Then I had the swap file wiped on reboot. So I figure the deleted files are long go. Where else could they be? Then I start an unerase program, and presto, the files still exists somewhere because the unerase can restore them! Where is the unerase program getting the files and how can I permanently get rid of them? Does anyone have any code to do this? There must be some microsoft da...

delete every other column...
Need a macro that'll delete every other column in a worksheet. Try something like the following: Dim ColNdx As Integer For ColNdx = Columns.Count To 1 Step -2 Cells(1, ColNdx).EntireColumn.Delete Next ColNdx -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4fc701c3ac3e$eccfb150$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Need a macro that'll delete every other column in a > worksheet. I'm so proud of myself. Created the macro and it works however want it to just run ...

Unable to Delete Picture Insert Square
At one time in Windows Live Mail, after inserting a picture then deleting it, I was left with a blank space, as it should be. Now if I insert a picture then delete it, I am left with a "double click here to insert a picture" square which I cannot delete. I must then either insert another picture or start a new email. Is there any way to delete this square? Thank you. -- What you describe as happening now is what happens when using Insert, Image, Photo E-mail. What used to happen for you is for Insert, Image, Inline. If you hit the backspace key, the...

Deleting duplicate contacts
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop In attempting to export a single contact from Address Book to Entourage, it exported a whole category of 1,000 names. How can I identify and delete duplicates other than one by one?? <degas1900@officeformac.com> wrote: > In attempting to export a single contact from Address Book to Entourage, > it exported a whole category of 1,000 names. How can I identify and > delete duplicates other than one by one?? Google for scripts for Entourage. There are several out there that sh...

Permanently delete header
I have a merge document that is bringing in data from another program, Xactimate. When I open the document, it has a blank header. No matter how often I delete it and save my template document, it is always there when I open in again. This results in lost time deleting it manually for each use. Can anyone help? Once a document has had a header, it'll always be there (even if it has no content). If it's interfering with your body text area, you can make its margin 0 and give its paragraph a style with mminimal "Exactly" line spacing (1 pt, I think) and minimal fo...

Can't tell 'Send To' to use Exchange Server instead of POP3
On a Windows 2000 machine, Send To refuses to use Outlook2003's configuration for Exchange Server and keeps bringing up the POP3 account setup wizard. How do I fix this? Bob Never mind, the problem corrected itself... ?? "Bob" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:eVSHsjobEHA.3752@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > On a Windows 2000 machine, Send To refuses to use Outlook2003's > configuration for Exchange Server and keeps bringing up the POP3 account > setup wizard. How do I fix this? > > Bob ...

Global Catalogue Server
Hello everyone, I want to move my Global Catalogue server from one old box to a new box, but after I did this I started having issues with Exchange not being able to send or receive email. I could not create new users, and once I changed it back (after giving it a day and half to sync) I was fine in minutes. So if I want to move the Global Catalgue Server for Exchange 2000 is there anything else I need to do in my Win 2000 domain. It depends a little on which version of Windows server you have. I think W2K SP2 and earlier did not have dynamic NSPI enable, which means that a reboot was ...

How do I retrieve deleted messages
Accidentally deleted e-mails permanently. Help! Check your Deleted Items folder. If not there... If you have an Exchange server you can recover deleted items by going to your Deleted Items folder and choosing Tools | Recover Deleted Items. If you don't have an Exchange server then you can restore your PST from backup. If you don’t have a backup... ....well, it's a nice day out. That’s something. -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Roland Schorr & Tower http://www.rolandschorr.com http://www.officeforlawyers.com/outlook.htm Author: The Lawyer's Guide to Mi...

sharing DBs between 2 instances on same box without linked servers
All, I have two databases A and B on one pyhsical box called 'P'. I need to put another instance of database A on same box. i can not have same database name twice on same physical box twice so my solution was to create another instance of sql server on same box and create database A on it. so now it looks like this. Physical box P has two DBs -A and B New instance of sql server on same physical box P has - A (copy of DB A ) Both DB's "A on physical box P and A on the new sql server instance" need to share/join to single copy of B runing on physica...

Error updating public folder with free-busy information on virtual
I am getting this error @ every 90 minutes. I have search KBs, google, eventid this news group and tried a ton of fixes but I have not been able to stop this error. Any help would be greatly appreciated. error message event id: 8207 source: MSExchangeFBPublish Description: Error updating public folder with free-busy information on virtual machine [servername]. The error number is 0x8004010f. Exchange 2000? Have you installed the post-sp3 rollup? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819793 Have you tried re-creating the F/B system folder? http://support.microsoft.com...

Deleting rules
How do I go about deleting all my current rules so I can start fresh? So far, all I've found is the rules wizard and I have to do it one by one. Half way through Outlook closes with an error and I have to start over! Thank you. That's what you need to use in Outlook 2003 and earlier versions. = Delete a few, then close the Rules Wizard. Repeat as needed.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for=20 Administrators, Power Users, and...

Permanently delete message ?
When I set a rule up to permanently delete messages from a certain domain it automatically checks off "stop processing more rules". Does this refer to rules concerning the particular messages I want deleted or any and all other rules pertaining to other messages? TIA It processes no more rules on the message in question. Red Oak wrote: > When I set a rule up to permanently delete messages from a certain domain it > automatically checks off "stop processing more rules". Does this refer to > rules concerning the particular messages I want dele...

I deleted all macros in Excel but still get dialog box
I created a macro in excel and decided not to use it so I deleted it. I made my other changes, saved the file and when I open my excel file I now get the dialog box that prompts me to: "Disable Macros... Enable Macros....., etc". I don't want this box to appear and can't seem to find anywhere on how to prevent this from happening. I have no macros so don't know why this keeps appearing. You need to remove the module as well. See http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqMac.html#NoMacros for details. -- HTH Bob Phillips "VenitaC" <VenitaC@discussions.micr...

delete cell
Hi I need a macro which upon finding "=-" in a cell in column clears tha cell, not delete , clears that cell. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Have you try Edit Replace in the Menu Bar -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "vikram >" <<vikram.178fog@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:vikram.178fog@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi > > I need a macro which upon finding "=-" in a cell in column clears that > cell, not delete , clears that cell. > thanks > > > --- > Message pos...

GP 8, SP2003, SQL Server 2000, Exchange Server
After a few tweaks I have Sharepoint, SQL server and Exchange server all on the same box. The client would now like to install Great Plains 8 on the same box. 1. Can this be done and how would one go around doing it? 2. Is there an installation manual, administration guide on the MS site that I may look at for information prior to installation? If so where? Great Plains is simply client software. Installing it on the same machine should have no impact, unless you are planning on actually using GP on that machine. It sounds more like the client wants to store the data on that machine...