Permanent Failure: Other address status #2

Howdy,

I have a customer whose customers are receiving the following email
randomly...

> The following addresses had delivery problems:
>
> <user@domain.com>
> Permanent Failure: Other address status
> Delivery last attempted at Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:42:42 -0000

My customer server is SBS 2003 Standard, latest Service Packs. How do I
troubleshoot this? There is nothing the App/Sys logs near this time line. I
have Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server installed as well
and that doesnt have any log entries either. Also this response isnt a
symantec response. Any ideas??

Thanks

David Lozzi

0
dlozzi (2)

what is the actual email domain?  have you attempted  to send an email via a
telnet session from the outside to this email domain?

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"David Lozzi" <dlozzi@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> Howdy,
>
> I have a customer whose customers are receiving the following email
> randomly...
>

>> The following addresses had delivery problems:
>>
>> <user@domain.com>
>> Permanent Failure: Other address status
>> Delivery last attempted at Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:42:42 -0000
>
> My customer server is SBS 2003 Standard, latest Service Packs. How do I
> troubleshoot this? There is nothing the App/Sys logs near this time line.
> I have Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server installed as
> well and that doesnt have any log entries either. Also this response isnt
> a symantec response. Any ideas??
>
> Thanks
>
> David Lozzi

0
sconkey (3059)
3/13/2007 9:07:14 PM
Check your smtp logs, also see if you can send this recipient email
through telnet.

Telnet test
http://www.amset.info/exchange/telnet-test.asp

Logging the SMTP Service
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Logging_the_SMTP_Service.html

James Chong (MVP)
MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

On Mar 13, 5:02 pm, "David Lozzi" <dlo...@nospam.nospam> wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> I have a customer whose customers are receiving the following email
> randomly...
>
> > The following addresses had delivery problems:
>
> > <u...@domain.com>
> > Permanent Failure: Other address status
> > Delivery last attempted at Mon, 12 Mar 2007 19:42:42 -0000
>
> My customer server is SBS 2003 Standard, latest Service Packs. How do I
> troubleshoot this? There is nothing the App/Sys logs near this time line. I
> have Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server installed as well
> and that doesnt have any log entries either. Also this response isnt a
> symantec response. Any ideas??
>
> Thanks
>
> David Lozzi

0
jamestechman (1266)

Contacts into Address Book--Outlook 2002
When I updated to Outlook 2002, the Address Book was not transferred. I want to have Address Book entries and have them correlate 100% with Contacts. How is this done? It is done by default. The Address Book can only display your Contacts. If your Contacts Folder is populated, you simply haven't configured the Outlook Address Book correctly. Go to Tools | E-mail accounts, select "View or change existing directories or address books", and click OK. If you don't see the OAB in the Directories and Address Books list, click the Back button, then select "Add a new direc...

Sorting email addresses
I have a large spreasheet in which one colum os email addresses. How can I sort on only the characters after the @ symbol so for instance all the email addresses @hotmail.com are grouped together, all those @gmail.com are grouped together etc? novus On 4 f=E9v, 07:44, "novus" <black...@alphalink.com.au> wrote: > I have a large spreasheet in which one colum os email addresses. How can I > sort on only the characters after the @ symbol so for instance all the em= ail > addresses @hotmail.com are grouped together, all those @gmail.com are > grouped together e...

#REF! #2
What does this error mean? Is there a way to prevent it from ending up in my worksheet functions?\ Thanks. Alex Hi Alex looks like you're having a 'bad' cell reference (see Excel helpfile). It would be helpful if you post the formula which creates this error. Frank Alex wrote: > What does this error mean? Is there a way to prevent it > from ending up in my worksheet functions?\ > > Thanks. > Alex "Alex" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8b9101c3e9ad$27ddd7d0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > What does this error mean? Is th...

Memorized Address
Evidently Outlook memorizes addresses even though they are not in your Address Book. In my case I use a Personal Address Book. When entering a name it the TO line. It suggests names as I type. I like this feature, but it always comes up with names that are not in my address book, but are addresses which were probably included in emails I have recieved in the past. How can I clear these addresses and prevent Outlook from saving or memorizing them? Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use you...

Address lookup
We have recently moved to Exchange 2003 but have now noticed that users are receiving spam emails not addressed to them but are a valid address in the organization. An example would be a spam for jon@blank.com but peter@blank.com would be receiving it. I have checked that no forwarding is happening and they do not have their email address listed in AD as an additional email address. Does any body have any ideas for this very strange one. In news:1156849020.990649.136510@74g2000cwt.googlegroups.com, stewgale <sg@meggitt.com> typed: > We have recently moved to Exchange 2003 but have...

wrong return address
i have multiple email and type (http, pop) accounts. when i send an email from a secondary account, i want the reply email to be delivered to that sending secondary account. i have the visited the 'internet email settings' window and specified the 'reply email' address for each secondary account. the reply address for all accounts is always my default (primary) account. your help with this wrong return address issue is greatly appreciated! Email is delivered to only one in-box, the default. If you want your mail delivered to separate in-boxes, you need to set up pr...

How to permanently delete files?
Lets say I delete files with explorer and then empty the recycle bin. Then I use a program to wipe all unused disk space on all the drives. I verified this by watching the disk space on the drive go to zero. Then I had the swap file wiped on reboot. So I figure the deleted files are long go. Where else could they be? Then I start an unerase program, and presto, the files still exists somewhere because the unerase can restore them! Where is the unerase program getting the files and how can I permanently get rid of them? Does anyone have any code to do this? There must be some microsoft da...

web address
I am trying to open a web address in a email.. My internet explorer opens up but no page comes up. It is like it's not putting the address in for me. ...

Rebuild Default Offine Address List
Exchange 2003 Server, fully patched. When I try to manually rebuild the Default Offline Address List from System Manager, I get a popup that says: The Server is not Operational ID # 8007203a The offline address list is rebuilt each evening normally, but I want to test the load of more regular rebuilds. I was planning on running this rebuild manually while simultaneusly watching Performance Monitor. We upgraded from another Exchange 2000 server last year and it's possible the folder was not replicated properly during the migration. Still, as I mentioned earlier, the address book ...

Email system failure on a singlel Exchange 2003 server running Windows 2003 standard having message store issues
Have two servers running Exchange 2003. FS2 is PDC AND FS3 runs exchange 2003. We had a power failure and it corrupted the message store. The backup was also no good because of a hardware failure. Using the recovery storage group process, I was able to copy the existing edb, and stm files off the server, create a recovery storage group, move the recovery storage group files into the primary storage group area and get the users emailing again, but I have the corrupted message and streaming files and a bunch of log files. I ran eseutil /p /r and the files seem to be fine. Just to j...

The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.
Please excuse the rookie question, I have been avoiding Exchange too long and now it has bitten me in the... elbow... I am attempting to set up Exchange to send mail... Whenever I send to a member of my domain (hosted externally) I get this error message... (I am using SBS, I have posted a similar message over there.) The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address. It appears that email sent to other domains is delivered without incident. I need to get the squar...

Permanently delete header
I have a merge document that is bringing in data from another program, Xactimate. When I open the document, it has a blank header. No matter how often I delete it and save my template document, it is always there when I open in again. This results in lost time deleting it manually for each use. Can anyone help? Once a document has had a header, it'll always be there (even if it has no content). If it's interfering with your body text area, you can make its margin 0 and give its paragraph a style with mminimal "Exactly" line spacing (1 pt, I think) and minimal fo...

Address Book Can't Access Contacts
I moved Outlook 2002 from an old admin account to a new limited account by copying everything (all files in the same folder as the *.pst file)into the appropriate Documents and Settings folder. Everything works fine except the Address Book won't open and consequently Rules can't be setup. All of the Contacts are ok and accessible, but the Address Book can't be accessed. When I try to open the Address Book, a pop up error message says the Contacts folder can't be opened. How do I get Address Book working? Thanks for your help! Mike Never overwrite a PST file. Ins...

OLAP w/ Pivot update more than one page failure
I have an three OLAP cubes with Pivot table front-end. Each cube/pivot is on separate spreadsheet accessing 2 different databases. What I want to do is 1. Is is possible to have an auto_open that prompts the user to select a name out of the list from the pivot table? 2. How do you link all of the pivot "Name" fields together so that one change to the table, changes them all. I found a solution from contextures.com, but I am getting an error: Runtime error 1004 Unable to get the PivotFields property of the PivotTable Class. I have tried everything and I can't get it to wo...

empty address book
Added hard drive. Installed win 2000 pro and office 2000 on added hard drive. Installed the latest updates for both. Searched and found all wab.exe's and *.wab's on both hard drives. Changed registry to point to the .wab of choice. Executable in C:\winnt\service pack files\i386\ does not work; all others open the address book as per registry. Started Outlook then opened address book. That address book is empty, has grayed "import" and "export", no "options" under "tools", and no path shown in "help". Do I have a phantom addre...

.NET SDK 2.0: complex types with minOccurs = 0 and nillable = true

How to change vcalendar address
Whenever someone outside our company received an email appointment from us, they get this http link that allow them to accept or reject the appointment. The problem is that the http link is not the correct one. First off, it is send with http instead of https and then the address is just the server name (Netbios) instead of the fully qualified domain name or even the ip address. Where can I change these info. Thanks Vince ...

Intermittent failure of links
Windows XP, ie8 (or Mozilla), all latest up to date. I can browse all day or two minutes without problems then a clicked link will fail; clicking just seems to do nothing, sometimes the link will appear at the bottom of the window as though loading then change to 'done'. Generally, I can continue with other links or copy the link (from properties) and paste in new window and it will work; once a link has failed it seems the situation gradually gets worse until I need to close all open windows and start again; sometimes a complete re-start is needed. Oddly, the same ...

Problem finding email addresses using Autocomplete feature in Outlook 2003
When I begin a new email message and enter a name in the "To:" field, it autocompletes the name but is not underlined. When I click on Check Names I get a message saying Outlook does recognize the name. When I click on Show More Names and my Address book opens with the name that I wanted highlighted. I click on Ok and and the name becomes underlined and I can send my email. Before it would just underline the name automatically without having to go to my Address Book. My Contacts folders has the property "Show folder as an email Address Book" checked. Why is Outlook ab...

E-mail address books
I just installed XP on my computer and had to reformat the drive. I did a full backup but didn't address my E-mail address book in Outlook Express. Does anyone know where that address book would be in my backup? I need the file location and any info on doing the conversion to Office Outlook. This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an outlook express news group. Try posting i...

Default "From" Email Address in a Workflow EMail Notification
What determines the default "from" value - who it looks like the email came from? My Workflow scope is set to "Organization". When I leave the "From" parameter blank, the email message notification "comes from" me regardless of what CRM user actually initiated the action. As I am not really involved in the process, email recipients are calling or emailing me with questions regarding the notification details. I am guessing that is because I am "the" CRM administrator. I can indicate a more relevant user in the "From" para...

SUM 2 COLumns values with common names in another columns
> hi > how can i sum 2 columns from 2 tables having in common the same names > by side of the numbers to sum? hi how can i sum 2 columns from 2 tables having in common the same names by side of the numbers to sum? table1 column1 column2 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e 6 f 7 g 8 h 9 i table2 col1 col2 1 b 2 d 3 a 4 f 5 c 6 f 7 g 8 h table3 col1 ...

How to use different return email addresses
I use outlook 98. I have a mailbox with three aliases. People sending me emails can use any of the three email aliases and the email will arrive in the same mailbox. Accessing the mailbox once will retrieve all messages regardless of which alias was used. If I reply to these emails though, I want the recipient to think that the email has come from the alias that they originally used. What outlook always seems to do is use the email address of the service that is listed first in Tools->Services->Delivery. Is there any way Outlook can be set up so when I reply to a given email, my email ...

Multi TASK failure in Windows XP
Hello Everybody I had a Malware yesterday by mistake. Zone Alarm immediatly found some backdoor trojan and some other stuffs but not the original virus called something like: wmifslh.exe. Anyway, many changes happened to my OS and I'm not feeling happy with them, safe mode booting always craches, system restore turned off (by group policy), can't have network connection because TCP/IP function has something wrong with it, langauge bar is disabled and turn off advanced text recognition is always checked whatever I do. I don't know what else this malware did but I feel...

? on Maintenance Plan #2
I have MS RMS 1.2 and have no Maintenance plan, I was thinking about adding it. How much would it cost and how do i go about getting the plan? Thanks It would depend on the time that you have had your maintenance lapse. Please call us at 800-513-5917 and we will help you. "Porplex" wrote: > I have MS RMS 1.2 and have no Maintenance plan, I was thinking about adding > it. How much would it cost and how do i go about getting the plan? > > Thanks ...