OWA vs. Autoforwarding

We are in the process of upgrading from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. We have staff members who work outside of the office but have company email addresses and any mail being sent to the company's email address is being forwarded to their personal email (such as hotmail, yahoo, etc.). I've read online about some corporations that do not allow this but instead offer web access for any external employees. Are there any know issues with autoforwarding as opposed to having each employee use OWA? Does offering autoforwarding place a burden on exchange server administration? Is there a typical recommendation from Microsoft or the technical community on whether companies should make OWA standard or use autoforwarding to external email addresses? Any help is greatly appreciated.
0
CH (18)

CH wrote:
> We are in the process of upgrading from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange
> 2003. We have staff members who work outside of the office but have
> company email addresses and any mail being sent to the company's
> email address is being forwarded to their personal email (such as
> hotmail, yahoo, etc.). I've read online about some corporations that
> do not allow this but instead offer web access for any external
> employees. Are there any know issues with autoforwarding as opposed
> to having each employee use OWA? Does offering autoforwarding place a
> burden on exchange server administration? Is there a typical
> recommendation from Microsoft or the technical community on whether
> companies should make OWA standard or use autoforwarding to external
> email addresses? Any help is greatly appreciated.

With OWA, everything is all in one place in the mailbox. The user can see
everything, not just new items that were forwarded. I prefer to have users
use OWA - I only do forwarding if they *never* need to use their Exchange
mailbox (i.e., a remote worker who just needs an address on the domain but
will never be in the office or need anything else).
Autoforwarding can be a problem if the forward mailbox gets full & bounces
back an NDR to the original sender - who didn't know they sent to hotmail in
the first place. Also, some companies consider it a security risk. Up to
you - I'd say, use OWA instead.

0
lanwench (7567)

Excel Not Opening using OWA

OWA 2003 An Unknown Error Happened

Problems with OWA after Installing SP1

static linking VS dynamic use of MFC dlls
in VS.Net 2003 the project properties->general->Use of MFC option what are the pros and cons on statically linking MFC library?? (use MFC in a static Library) according to http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326922 the Msvcr71.dll is now not considered shared system32, and more importantly should BE INSTALLED IN APP FOLDER! Something that was a great big no-no, in past.... When I static link, I have no problems on Win98 platform, according to article if I want to dynamic link, I should include the VC_CRT.msm merge module. I did, as well as including the Msvcr71.d...

re: slow OWA

dlls in VB.NET (VS 2008).
Hello. I have created class library (add -> new project -> class library. wrote some public function on class, such as Public Shared Function myfunction return integer. , and want to use some of my function. I do in code : imports myLib and I cannot access myClass (class is declared : Public Class myClass). What is wrong, and how can I use the classes on class library? Need sample, please. Thanks :) Solved. Sorry, it was wrong old dll on my folder. Thanks, anyway. ...

HQ Dynamic vs Static fields
Does anybody have a map of all the HQ / SO fields identifing if they are Dynamic or static fields? Currently I'm trying to update the custom fields in the Item record and need to know if I have to do it manually in all databases, or do it in HQ ( I haven't found a worksheet to propigate these fields). Thanks, TomT What exactly is it that you are trying to update, is it the custom captions? or the information in the custom fields en masse? I have commands to change the custom captions if that is what you need. -- Jenny "TomT" wrote: > Does anybody have a ma...

OWA URL and OWA authentication

Why does OWA...

OWA premium 2003 prompts for office CD?

template for comparing projected vs actual milestone completion?
I already have an Excel table which calculates projected milestone dates from given start and finish dates, and then compares those dates with the actual milestone dates as they are achieved. I would like to be able to convert that table into a chart showing the projects on the Y scale in ascending expected order, and two date lines (projected and actual milestones) on the X axis. My intent is to graphically compare projected dates with actual ones in a "stairstep" line graph, showing when a project is ahead or behind schedule, and also show a broken line where actual milest...

Microsoft Money 2000 Vs 2003
I am having problems transfer my MOney 2000 data/files from one computer to a newer computer which has MS Money 2003. My new computer does not currently have a "floopy" drive, but does have a CD. What is the correct method for transfering data files from my old computer (ME software) to my new PC, which uses Home XP? Copy the .MNY data file(s) to a CD on the old machine using whatever CD burner software works for you. Copy them from the CD to a hard disk on the new machine using Windows Explorer. Make sure they are not set Read Only. One at a time, double click on the .MNY ...

OWA setup #4
I have a front end server on the inside network on the same subnet as my backend server. Do I need to do anything special to have the front communicate with the backend server..other then check the front end server box. I did all of the basics already. I am going to deploy an isa server in our dmz but for now I need to make this work. I can get the front ot work but it won;t work using premium mode on the logon screen but it will work using the backend server as the owa server even though I am attemping to login to it from the same server(front end) There shouldn't be anything spec...

OWA down again
We rebooted the Windows 2000 server. Now when we try to access OWA, after the log on screen we get the error page ""HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable". IIS 5 was restarted but we still get this error. I tried to create another virtual HTTP server in Exchange to make another web site but again we get the "HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable". Do you know what we can do to fix this? ...

Excel 2000 vs 2002 Sheet protection & Validation cells
Hello, I have an Excel spreadsheet built on Excel 2000. I have set sheet protection with password, and I have some unprotected cells with drop down menu (validation with 50 choices) Everything works very well. I sent this file to a friend who has Excel 2002. The same "unprotected" validation cells cannot be modified in his version as the message says that these cells are protected What can be done in order to make it work on his version?? I do have some "very hidden" sheet with password protected VBA properties, if that is an issue. Similarly there are some macros o...

Problem with OWA
Hi, From Outlook Web Access, when I create a new meeting and I choose a ressource, the ressource don't tell me that the reservation is ok. Moreover, the ressource don't put her status to "occupied". But, if I create the same meeting from Outlook, I don't have this problem. I will be notified and the ressource will be occupied. Is it a bug or how can I fixe the problem? Thanks in advance! Post to an Exchange group as OWA is a part of Exchange, not Outlook. microsoft.public.exchange.clients would be a good place to start. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post al...

OWA not displaying mailboxes
Hi .I setup a new windows 3K server, move AD on it and install exchange 2003 with SP2, test it and seems to me that everything was working. Then delete exchange from the old domain controller and removed AD but now when I run OWA no mailboxes appear. I just have some little boxes for the pictures and Loading... on the second frame. Any help is welcome. I already tried to reinstall exchange and reapply SP2 but that didn't help. Thanks Olivier On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 06:47:02 -0800, O Rako <O Rako@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi .I setup a new windows 3K server, move AD on...

OWA and Calendars
I have set up mailboxes for our meeting rooms and have them set to automatically book the room from a meeting request. This works with outlook. From OWA I was getting an error that I did not have rights to send to that account, so I enabled the anonymous and gave it author rights, now the email request goes to the mailbox, but it does not autobook the room. What can I do??? .. ...

cant log in to OWA at night
I am getting the "440 login timeout" error when my user login overnight. I cannot find where there might be something limiting time to login. Is it in IIS 6 I am running Win2003 server, EXch 2003 I have only one exchange server that also runs OWA. During the daytime hours no one has any problems logging in to OWA. I have recently moved all mailboxs to the Ex2003 server from a Exch5.5 server. Currently the Exch5.5 server receives all the mail and forwards it to the Exch. 2003 server. not sure if this could be the problem. getting ready to bring down the 5.5 server and change the MX ...

Exchange '03 OWA re-install
Anyone know of a quick and easy way to do this? I've only briefly looked at it and looks like I need to completely re-install exchange. TIA, Ben Correct. OWA is now completely integrated into Exchange and is no longer a component that can be installed separately. What's the reason for needing to reinstall OWA? I only ask because depending on the problem, it may be necessary to reinstall IIS as well. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP "ben" <ben@bcew.com> wrote in message news:%23ktZN$tsEHA.1336@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Anyone know of a quick and easy way to...

accdb vs adp
I have inherited an A2007 adb with a connection to SS2K5. I have recently begun trying to follow the various VBA code compiled by four different consultants which is a bit of a challenge in itself. Since my company's needs have changed over the past months I feel that it would be cost effective to simply create a new db from scratch. However, I am not sure of the advantages of ADP or simply sticking with ACCDB. I would appreciate feedback on this scenario. TY. I seem to be in a minority in believing that the ever increasing power of the PC, plus that LANs generally are...

OWA Inside NO, OWA Ouside Yes
Hi I have Exchange Server 2003. I have Outlook and OWA for everybody. The clients can read their email inside and outside through OWA. Now I would like to change this for a few users. I need to use OWA inside of company but not through Internet for a few people. How can I do this? I have a Front-end , back-end infrastructure. Do I need ISA server? If I switch the OWA check box off in AD, these people cannot use OWA inside. Thanky you very much indeed. sAnTos On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:15:07 -0800, sAnTos <sAnTos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi >I have Exchange Server 2003. &...