OWA and the PDF files

Hello,
i can't open pdf files in attach from OWA. The system ask me to save the
file to open it.  Some users have this problem other not. Have you any ideas?
thanks a lot
Andrea
0
Andrea (160)

By default freedocs (PDF files, etc.) are completely blocked in OWA.

If you have ever dragged and dropped a document or a file directly into an
Exchange folder (as opposed to attaching it to a message or post), you have
used freedocs. Freedocs is the term given to stand-alone data in the
information store. Because the dropped file is not an attachment of a
message, it is considered a "free document" or a freedoc.

Freedocs are not new to Exchange 2003; they were present in all prior
versions of Exchange. For example, in Exchange 2000, freedocs became
accessible via OWA URLs (e.g.,
http://ex2k3/public/training/exchange2003/intro_to_e2k3.doc). What is new to
Exchange 2003 (as part of Secure by Default) is the ability to control access
to freedocs through these OWA URLs. Here is a registry entry you can add to
your OWA servers to control access.

Location: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWeb\OWA
Value: EnableFreedocs
Type: REG_DWORD
Value: 0, 1, 2, or 3 (dec)

If EnableFreedocs is not present or is set to 0, freedocs are completely
blocked in OWA. Because the value is not present by default, freedocs are
blocked out-of-the-box in OWA. When EnableFreedocs is set to 1, freedocs are
accessible only when accessed directly via a backend server; freedocs will
not be accessible to OWA users connecting through a front-end server. If you
set the value to 2, freedocs will be accessible from back-end servers and
from any front-end server configured with a Host Header entry that matches
the following registry on the back-end server.

Location: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWeb\OWA
Value: AcceptedAttachmentFrontEnds
Type: REG_SZ
Value: comma-delimited list of FE servers, e.g.,
www.something.com,www.somethingelse.com

Finally, when EnableFreedocs is set to 3, freedocs are accessible to all OWA
users.

"Andrea" wrote:

> Hello,
> i can't open pdf files in attach from OWA. The system ask me to save the
> file to open it.  Some users have this problem other not. Have you any ideas?
> thanks a lot
> Andrea
0
hoterder (1)
4/17/2007 3:00:03 PM
hi,
thanks it is very interesting but the users have this issue with the
attachments in mailbox not in the public folders. they must save the
attachment for open the pdf files
Andrea

"hoterder" wrote:

> By default freedocs (PDF files, etc.) are completely blocked in OWA.
>
> If you have ever dragged and dropped a document or a file directly into an
> Exchange folder (as opposed to attaching it to a message or post), you have
> used freedocs. Freedocs is the term given to stand-alone data in the
> information store. Because the dropped file is not an attachment of a
> message, it is considered a "free document" or a freedoc.
>
> Freedocs are not new to Exchange 2003; they were present in all prior
> versions of Exchange. For example, in Exchange 2000, freedocs became
> accessible via OWA URLs (e.g.,
> http://ex2k3/public/training/exchange2003/intro_to_e2k3.doc). What is new to
> Exchange 2003 (as part of Secure by Default) is the ability to control access
> to freedocs through these OWA URLs. Here is a registry entry you can add to
> your OWA servers to control access.
>
> Location: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWeb\OWA
> Value: EnableFreedocs
> Type: REG_DWORD
> Value: 0, 1, 2, or 3 (dec)
>
> If EnableFreedocs is not present or is set to 0, freedocs are completely
> blocked in OWA. Because the value is not present by default, freedocs are
> blocked out-of-the-box in OWA. When EnableFreedocs is set to 1, freedocs are
> accessible only when accessed directly via a backend server; freedocs will
> not be accessible to OWA users connecting through a front-end server. If you
> set the value to 2, freedocs will be accessible from back-end servers and
> from any front-end server configured with a Host Header entry that matches
> the following registry on the back-end server.
>
> Location: HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeWeb\OWA
> Value: AcceptedAttachmentFrontEnds
> Type: REG_SZ
> Value: comma-delimited list of FE servers, e.g.,
> www.something.com,www.somethingelse.com
>
> Finally, when EnableFreedocs is set to 3, freedocs are accessible to all OWA
> users.
>

> "Andrea" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > i can't open pdf files in attach from OWA. The system ask me to save the
> > file to open it.  Some users have this problem other not. Have you any ideas?
> > thanks a lot
> > Andrea
0
Andrea (160)

Excel Not Opening using OWA

.pst file #6
I cannot access my .pst files in Outlook2000 and have received the same error messages as previously posted in this newsgroup (i.e. "the file is not a personal folders file" and "...permissions need to be set prior to use.") After reading the replies and making the suggestions (making sure I have full permissions and not just 'read only,' etc.), I am still not able to access. One other descrprtion about the problem....when I view the file in Windows Explorer, the correct icon appears next to the file. However, when I try to bring the file into Outlook, the...

OWA 2003 An Unknown Error Happened

Open Publisher files from Win 98 into Win XP
I have just upgraded to a new Dell that has Windows XP. My old 'puter was Win 98. The only problem is that I cannot get the new Publisher that came with XP to open ANY of the files that I have that were created and saver in Windows 98. If this is an easy fix, I sure can't figure it out. Please help! Disable "script blocking" in Norton; try that first, if it doesn't work, in Norton, options, disable Office plug-ins. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Puckhead" <stooge_boy@hotmail.c...

opening protected excel for windows file using excel for mac
I am attempting to open a file with locked cells, created using excel for windows, on a mac machine using excel for mac, but am getting "unable to open encrypted file". Is there any solution? Are the two Excel products incompatible in that way? Budseal wrote: > I am attempting to open a file with locked cells, created using excel for > windows, on a mac machine using excel for mac, but am getting "unable to open > encrypted file". > Is there any solution? Are the two Excel products incompatible in that way? > Excel for Mac can not open encr...

restore money files from my ipaq
hi friends, I buy a new pc and need to transfer my money database from my ipaq2215 to my pc to use it with Money but I don't know how do it, it doesn't have an option to restore it or something like that. do you have any idea? See if this will help you. http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/276.aspx -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org/ Check http://money.mvps.org/faq/ for tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your product wishes see http://money.mvps.org/wishes.aspx I do not respond to any unsolicited email regarding Money "Hernan Batista&qu...

Problems with OWA after Installing SP1

How does Excel make it's guess as to what type of file a CSV file is?
I have a CSV file (not created with Excel.) If a user double-clicks on the file, Excel wrongly guesses that it's not a true Comma- Separated-Value file, but a fixed-width file. Thus to the user it will display incorrectly. How does Excel decide what to make it's first guess as to what kind of file a CSV file is? If I knew, I could probably tailor the file so Excel would guess correctly. Thanks. Do you have quotes in the .csv file around each field of text? I have always imagined that Excel treats a double-clicked CSV file as if you were typing very quickly on the keyboard, and a...

PDF not an option in file type in reports
I have installed the full version of Acrobat 5. Even installed Acrobat PDFWriter Files. However, still the dropdown on file types in reports does not contain pdf. Please let me know what steps am I missing. ...

re: slow OWA

Excel 2007 prompt to open file as read only
I would like an Excel 2007 file to prompt the user to open a file as read only. How do I do this? Thank you! If you want the user to see a prompt, open the file. Do a SaveAs Click Tools|General options|and check "read-only recommended" They can still answer "no" to this prompt, right? SEllis wrote: > > I would like an Excel 2007 file to prompt the user to open a file as read > only. How do I do this? Thank you! -- Dave Peterson ...

OWA URL and OWA authentication

Corrupted priv.edb file
Hello, My server (only 2 weeks old) lost its .stm file when Symantec AV stripped a virus from an attachment, and now Exchange won't mount the mail store. I have no access to a backup (veritas won't mount the backup tapes). How can I recover the mail and info? Jeremy If the edb file is in a "clean shutdown" state then you can run eseutil /createstm to generate a new stm file. If the edb file is in a "dirty shutdown" state then you will have to repair the database as well. To check the state of the database you will need to run eseutil /mh <path to the data...

Open files in Excel 2002
I have always opened files in excel 2002 by just clicking on the file. Something has happened and now I can ONLY open and excel file by first opening Excel and then opening the file. I cannot figure out what has happened. I have not updated (Still running SP1) or installed any ADD- INS. I am running XP Professional with Office XP Small Business SP1. Thanking you in advance for any help in this matter. Don Kassay Try this Don Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Exce...

How to combine Excel 2002 files and remove duplicate records?
I’ve recently took over a task at my job of managing some Excel files. I am using Excel 2002. There are several Excel files that need to be combined into one file however, if I do this, I will have some duplicate records that I will have to delete. The only way I know how to do this is to copy and paste and then look for duplicate records manually and delete them as I find them. Is there an easier way to do this? Thank you for you support and help. Yes, there is. I would use VBA to do that job, but I need more info. When you say there are duplicate records, exactly what is duplicated? ...

How can I access files in 'Personal Folders'?
Question for knowledgeable outlook folks: If I accidentally drag an email into the 'Personal Folders' node on the file tree--not into a subfolder but into Personal Folders it self-- how do I get the email? As far as I can tell it's just gone. Thanks very much for the help. Use Advanced Find on the root of the Personal Folders where you dragged the item - search for all Outlook Items. When found, drag it to the proper folder. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will ...

Excel trying to open files no longer existing..
I don't know what I did, but now when I open Excel it tries to open 2 or 3 files that no longer exist. How do I stop this? I believe it had something to do with Tools -> Folder Options -> File Types in that area of Explorer, but I can't figure out what to do to make it work fine again. Shawn Give us some more detail. You say Excel "tries to .....". Exactly what do you see that makes you think that is what is happening? If Excel is commanded to open a file that doesn't exist, you will get an error message. Do you get an error message? If y...

Output .lib file name
How can I change output .lib file name? I'm building an DLL and using VC6. I couldn't find it in Project | Settings... Thanks. Hi, You can try to modify your .dll file name, then your .lib file name is also changed. Best Regards! PPDragon "Jan Plastenjak" <none@ms.com> д���ʼ� news:%23AgYZ6NNEHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > > How can I change output .lib file name? I'm building an DLL and using > VC6. I couldn't find it in Project | Settings... > > Thanks. > > You can always hand-edit the command line to the linker. As...

import .CSV file to XP EXcel 2003 worksheet, the seperator is com.
Download a .CSV file from internet to Windows XP Excel 2003 (SP1). The text delimitor is comma. How do I change the worksheet to have the text delimited by column? that means each text filed is imported into each column. Thank you ML Change the .csv extension to .txt then open that *.txt file. The Text Import Wizard will appear and you can parse your data with "delimited by" comma. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 08:19:02 -0800, "ML" <ML@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Download a .CSV file from internet to Windows XP Excel 2003 (SP1). The t...

Inserting a hyperlink to a file using Word VBA
HI I am having difficulty acheiving this. I have a word document which a user fills in, once complete the press a button, the form is saved and then I want the file path and filename to be embedded into the body of an email automatically, so the next person receives the email with a hyperlink to the specific form. I have tried numerous approaches, this one will put a hyperlink in the email but when I click it, it can't find the file: <a href=file://" & szEmailTemp & ">click me</a></FONT></DIV> I have used REPLACE to convert the spaces...

OWA premium 2003 prompts for office CD?

Why does OWA...