OWA and RPC-HTTP FE on same box?

We are in the process of evaluating the risks and benefits of deploying OWA
and RPC over HTTP, and making it available outside the firewall.

OWA seems pretty straight forward.  Since we have a geographically diverse
network, we would need to deploy FE's in at least 3 different locations.  I
am interested in hearing feedback on best way to expose (firewalled in DMZ,
authentication schemes, etc...)  Has anyone done the psuedo-FE approach,
where you use a BE server as the FE, with no mailboxes on it, to take
advantage of the pss-through authentication?  Obvioulsy we sould go the SSL
route...any issues with that and RPC over HTTP being on the same box?  Can
you use the same SSL cert?

RPC over HTTP when it first came out sounded great, but like all things MS,
the reality is always not as good as the hype.  The biggest turn off then
was that once you enabled a client for RPC over HTTP, they used it for all
communication to the exchange servers, wether they were inside the firewall
or out.  Has that changed, or are you still tied into that paradigm?  It
sounds like the config is a bit easier, but I am interested in hearing
feedback on how your users like it, and setup/maintenance issues.

Thanks,

Tom Felts

0
tfelts1 (344)

Hi,

I have always seen RPC/HTTP and OWA on the same box. I don't even know if
you can split it. I've also never seen using BE servers as pseudo front
ends. I'm not certain that would even work.

I've seen OWA in DMZ and production subnets. My current gig, we have them in
a production subnet. Plans are to move them into their own subnet to be
behind a Cisco CSM.

The paradigm of RPC/HTTP or no RPC/HTTP still exists.

--
Thanks,
Brian Desmond

www.briandesmond.com

"Tom Felts" <tfelts@mckennalong.com> wrote in message
> We are in the process of evaluating the risks and benefits of deploying
> OWA and RPC over HTTP, and making it available outside the firewall.
>
> OWA seems pretty straight forward.  Since we have a geographically diverse
> network, we would need to deploy FE's in at least 3 different locations.
> I am interested in hearing feedback on best way to expose (firewalled in
> DMZ, authentication schemes, etc...)  Has anyone done the psuedo-FE
> approach, where you use a BE server as the FE, with no mailboxes on it, to
> take advantage of the pss-through authentication?  Obvioulsy we sould go
> the SSL route...any issues with that and RPC over HTTP being on the same
> box?  Can you use the same SSL cert?
>
> RPC over HTTP when it first came out sounded great, but like all things
> MS, the reality is always not as good as the hype.  The biggest turn off
> then was that once you enabled a client for RPC over HTTP, they used it
> for all communication to the exchange servers, wether they were inside the
> firewall or out.  Has that changed, or are you still tied into that
> paradigm?  It sounds like the config is a bit easier, but I am interested
> in hearing feedback on how your users like it, and setup/maintenance
> issues.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Tom Felts

0
desmondb (156)

Excel Not Opening using OWA

Initial login problems via RPC over HTTP...
I have a problem that has been plaguing me since Microsoft implemented RPC over HTTP. It seems if I'm on the internal network, I can configure RPC over HTTP, logon and never have a problem. But if I'm out of the office and configure RPC over HTTP, my initial logon always fails. My domain, ID and password are never accepted and I cannot log into Outlook. Once I go into the office it works just fine and I never have logon problems again. Has anyone seen this issue and know why it happens? I've been looking for an answer for this for 3 years. Thanks in advance. When you first confi...

OWA 2003 An Unknown Error Happened

Exchange Admin Client on XP Pro Box
Hi Group, This is what I am trying to do. I have a .NET 2003 server with Exchange 2003. What I would like is to have the administration console for exchange installed on a sperate XP-Pro box which can be used by another administrator. I was able to get this working when we had a 2000 server/exchange platform. Can anyone suggest something and in the meantime I will keep googling :) Thanks - Ron Ron, You'll need to install the IIS Snap-in w/ SMTP and the Windows 2003 AdminPack. Once the ESM is installed, then disable the SMTP and WWW services as they are not needed, just the snap-in...

Problems with OWA after Installing SP1

re: slow OWA

LED light box display--Only 11 mm LED slim light box in China!
Edlite is dedicate to develop comprehensive technology on advertising light-box including LED; CCFL; EEFL and FLUORESCENT series.We already sell numerous light boxes around the world for tradeshow booth or display purpose. More info,please enter into www.edlite.hk or mail jenny@edlite.hk. Edlite really appreciate for your support! ...

OWA URL and OWA authentication

OWA premium 2003 prompts for office CD?

Why does OWA...

Help. rpc... restart server
Event ID; 2114 Process EMSMTA.EXE (PID=2800). Topology Discovery failed, error 0xffffffff. Process MAD.EXE (PID=1904). All Domain Controller Servers in use are not responding: Serverdec01.domain.com Serverdc02.domain.com I have possessions in my exchange 2003, he has moments that the service of the exchange 2003 for and only turn to work when I restart the server. And it has been happening problems of RPC as I do to solve this. -- Rubens Zolotujin rubens.zolotujin@ucb.org.br ...

Problem in user created edit box...
Hai all, I created a user defined edit box(MyEdit).. I have some problems in it... as follows 1. When i click the edit box,the cursor is not visible 2. Initially I set the color for border of edit box, but when I enter the text in it,the topmost border is disappearing.. 3. How to clear the buffer in edit box Can anyone provide me the solution... Thanx in advance... Looking forward for the reply... Regards, Rajkumar I don't know if these are the only solutions, but what I would do ... "sridev" <rajkumar.mopati@gmail.com> wrote ...

resize edit links Dialogue Box in Excel 2007
I am using Excel 2007 and wish to resize edit links Dialogue Box when there are multiple links to edit. Not able to do so unlike in Excel 2003. Is this is any limitation in Excel 2007 for this particular feature. Example if we have more than 80+ files which are linked and we cannot edit the links. Please let me the workaround. I am having the exact same problem - anybody have a solution? "Jagdeep" wrote: > I am using Excel 2007 and wish to resize edit links Dialogue Box when there > are multiple links to edit. Not able to do so unlike in Excel 2003. > Is this is any l...

OWA setup #4
I have a front end server on the inside network on the same subnet as my backend server. Do I need to do anything special to have the front communicate with the backend server..other then check the front end server box. I did all of the basics already. I am going to deploy an isa server in our dmz but for now I need to make this work. I can get the front ot work but it won;t work using premium mode on the logon screen but it will work using the backend server as the owa server even though I am attemping to login to it from the same server(front end) There shouldn't be anything spec...

OWA down again
We rebooted the Windows 2000 server. Now when we try to access OWA, after the log on screen we get the error page ""HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable". IIS 5 was restarted but we still get this error. I tried to create another virtual HTTP server in Exchange to make another web site but again we get the "HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable". Do you know what we can do to fix this? ...

Problem with OWA
Hi, From Outlook Web Access, when I create a new meeting and I choose a ressource, the ressource don't tell me that the reservation is ok. Moreover, the ressource don't put her status to "occupied". But, if I create the same meeting from Outlook, I don't have this problem. I will be notified and the ressource will be occupied. Is it a bug or how can I fixe the problem? Thanks in advance! Post to an Exchange group as OWA is a part of Exchange, not Outlook. microsoft.public.exchange.clients would be a good place to start. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post al...

Drop Down box
How can I make a drop down box in a cell so to choose either of 3 selections? Does this require a macro or can it be done without? -- Thank you! Data Validation with List Option and in the source, either reference a range or type: Item1,Item2,Item3 http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/data-validation.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:39A645AC-3754-444E-B376-E869C4D4A3E3@microsoft.com... > How can I make a drop down box in a cell so to choose either of 3 > selections? > Does this ...

Preventing Scrollihg List Box Bitmap
It seems this has been addressed before, but I didn't find a direct answer. I need to see which way to go with this. I have a subclassed CListBox as a control on a dialog with a bit map. I guess the problem is that that the inherent listbox api is performing a scroll on the client area which I want to prevent as the background image is part of the total dialog page. The work I did somewhat works but there is alot of flickering (redundant repainting). So it seems my options are: 1) Design my own scroller to controll the scroller. What can I do here withing Clistbox to control this? 2) ...

OWA not displaying mailboxes
Hi .I setup a new windows 3K server, move AD on it and install exchange 2003 with SP2, test it and seems to me that everything was working. Then delete exchange from the old domain controller and removed AD but now when I run OWA no mailboxes appear. I just have some little boxes for the pictures and Loading... on the second frame. Any help is welcome. I already tried to reinstall exchange and reapply SP2 but that didn't help. Thanks Olivier On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 06:47:02 -0800, O Rako <O Rako@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi .I setup a new windows 3K server, move AD on...

cant log in to OWA at night
I am getting the "440 login timeout" error when my user login overnight. I cannot find where there might be something limiting time to login. Is it in IIS 6 I am running Win2003 server, EXch 2003 I have only one exchange server that also runs OWA. During the daytime hours no one has any problems logging in to OWA. I have recently moved all mailboxs to the Ex2003 server from a Exch5.5 server. Currently the Exch5.5 server receives all the mail and forwards it to the Exch. 2003 server. not sure if this could be the problem. getting ready to bring down the 5.5 server and change the MX ...

OWA and Calendars
I have set up mailboxes for our meeting rooms and have them set to automatically book the room from a meeting request. This works with outlook. From OWA I was getting an error that I did not have rights to send to that account, so I enabled the anonymous and gave it author rights, now the email request goes to the mailbox, but it does not autobook the room. What can I do??? .. ...

font size of text in a combo text box
I can't seem to find a way to change the font size of text in a combo drop down list. Can you help? Use the combobox from the control toolbox instead of the forms toolbar, under properties you can change the font size. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "K. Georgiadis" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:d9c601c43ac4$1b9224a0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I can't seem to find a way to change the font size of > text in a combo drop down list. Can you help? Initially I tried to use a a combobox from the Control toolbox, but unfortunately I couldn'...