Overly large public folder information store

I have an exchange 2000 server (SP3, all patches applied, only one server in
the organization) that seems to have a serious problem in regards to the size
of the public folder store.

The total size of all public folders on the server (according to both the
System Manager and Outlook's "folder size" command) is about 3.3GB.  However,
the actual size of  pub1.edb is 5.1GB, and  pub1.stm is 8.4GB.

Deleted item retention is set to 1 day.  Message journaling is enabled (and
is what compromises the bulk of that 3.3GB)  Quarterly, I copy the data from
the public folder containing the message journal  to PSTs and then burn those
PSTs to DVD.  I initially believed this to be the cause of the problem (lots
of space freed up in the database and not defragged) but I did offline defrag
approximately two weeks ago and reclaimed a total of about 100MB in space.
Since the defrag, the file sizes in total have grown roughly 500MB, which is
about the amount of mail received in that period.

My concern here is that soon the store is going to exceed 16GB and stop
functioning.   Can anybody shed some light on why this is happenning and a
potential fix?
0
jkupski (2)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:57:02 -0800, "jkupski"
<jkupski@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have an exchange 2000 server (SP3, all patches applied, only one server in
>the organization) that seems to have a serious problem in regards to the size
>of the public folder store.
>
>The total size of all public folders on the server (according to both the
>System Manager and Outlook's "folder size" command) is about 3.3GB.  However,
>the actual size of  pub1.edb is 5.1GB, and  pub1.stm is 8.4GB.
>
>Deleted item retention is set to 1 day.  Message journaling is enabled (and
>is what compromises the bulk of that 3.3GB)  Quarterly, I copy the data from
>the public folder containing the message journal  to PSTs and then burn those
>PSTs to DVD.  I initially believed this to be the cause of the problem (lots
>of space freed up in the database and not defragged) but I did offline defrag
>approximately two weeks ago and reclaimed a total of about 100MB in space.
>Since the defrag, the file sizes in total have grown roughly 500MB, which is
>about the amount of mail received in that period.
>
>My concern here is that soon the store is going to exceed 16GB and stop
>functioning.   Can anybody shed some light on why this is happenning and a
>potential fix?

Have a look in the Applcation event log.
Are there any (I'm looking for a total of five) event id 1221
happening there?
You might find that a backup run is preventing maintenance running and
online defragging the store.
I say this because you say that your store has grown 500MB since the
last defrag, matching the mail received. That means that either there
was little or no free space before or there is indeed 8GB of mail in
the store.
Look in Exchange System Manager because that will give you a better
view of the folder sizes. You will be better able to spot something
relevant from that view.

0
mark7219 (5666)
11/30/2004 7:02:48 PM

"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> Have a look in the Applcation event log.
> Are there any (I'm looking for a total of five) event id 1221
> happening there?
> You might find that a backup run is preventing maintenance running and
> online defragging the store.

Mark,

Online defrag runs nightly (and our backup plan only runs 5 nights a week,
so there is no potential that the online defrag is getting stomped on every
night) and the 1221 events always show either 0 or 1MB free.

> I say this because you say that your store has grown 500MB since the
> last defrag, matching the mail received. That means that either there
> was little or no free space before or there is indeed 8GB of mail in
> the store.

There seems to be no free spacein the database, and I agree that it is
growing in a manner consistent with that.  However, there isn't 8GB of mail
in the store.

> Look in Exchange System Manager because that will give you a better
> view of the folder sizes. You will be better able to spot something
> relevant from that view.

Nothing at all that I can see.  The message journal is roughly 3.3GB.  The
second largest public folder is 4.7 *megs*.  There's maybe 18 public folders
total that have any items in them at all.

0
jkupski (2)

Folder Deleted
I have a windows 2003 server R2, I had a shared folder "Database" and under which lot of *.dbf files. All of a sudden the folder & files have one missing. I have checked the Recylce Bin it is not there... I have checked with softwares like Get Data Back, Active Undelete, Recuva, NTFS Undelete all these files have failed to even acknowledge the presence of such a folder. I am begining to doubt if the server had such a folder. Please help... Liju Liju wrote: > I have a windows 2003 server R2, I had a shared folder "Database" and under > which...

Sync Public and Personal Contact folder
Hello, how can I automatically sync my private contact folder with my public contact folder? I have an Exchange 2003 SP1 and Clients with Windows Mobile 5 and Activesync 4. The Problem is that that Active Sync can only sync private folders. So if I get the public and the private folder to sync, I finaly get the public folder on the Mobile device. I have found tools to sync public folders but no tool is available for windows mobile 5. Thank you. Regards, Claus-Stefan, MCSE 2003 ...

Large data
I have 20 rows and 20 columns in a sheet Trying to plot the line chart for the same But it looks very cluttered Can anyone suggest a way for this -- Thanks, Shivali Sadavarte Do all series have to be plotted on the same chart? Or is there some kind of logical grouping (e.g. companies A-E; revenue, profit, stock price, and operating margin for each)? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "Shivali Sadavarte" <shivali.sadavarte@tcs.com> wrote in message news:78880A3A-...

Public Folder Replication Problem
Setup Exchange 2000 sp3 EXchange 2003 Many folders are not replicating from old to new server, yet they are all marked to replicate. Also the new servers Exchange System Manager reports folders in sync. The original public store is about 277 Mb while the new public store is only about 57 mb. How can I go about troubleshooting this? Look at the Application Log of the Exchange 2000 server and Exchange 2003 server. I am pretty sure you will see some replication Errors or Warnings. That should be the place to start troubleshooting this issue. -- Mike Manjunath Microsoft Corp. "Plea...

Large Integration DB File
Should the CRM Integration database be 3.8 GB when the Dynamics GP DB is 2.5 GB and the CRM db is .5 GB? If this seems too large, is there something I can do to shrink it? -- Brandon ================== Presentations Direct - http://www.presentationsdirect.com > Binding Machines http://www.presentationsdirect.com/binding-machines/gbc-binding-machines.asp > Laminators http://www.presentationsdirect.com/laminators/gbc-laminators.asp > Paper Shredders http://www.presentationsdirect.com/paper-shredders/gbc-paper-shredders.asp ================== Hi Brandon, T...

Item ID of HQ and Store
Is itemid of store (item table) is the same with item of hq (item table) ? ex. if in item (store) has this id =1020 and itemlookupcode=123456789 will this record be in item table of hq , having the same id ? No, but the Field HQID in the SO Item Table will have the ID of that Item in HQ. "GregDxb" <GregDxb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FB8F1EC3-9F76-458F-BEB7-FFAF19CD0399@microsoft.com... > Is itemid of store (item table) is the same with item of hq (item table) ? > > ex. if in item (store) > has this id =1020 and itemlookupcode=123456789 &g...

How to create a large distribution list with Exchange Server 2003
I need some direction with this project: 1. Exchange Server 2003, Windows 2003 Server with SBS 3. Need to create a large distribution group (about 300 email addresses) such that one email sent to that group will be forwarded to all the members of the group. 4. The members of the distribution group are not security users on the LAN. (I don't want to have to create 300 new Active Directory users) I need some direction on this problem. What's the best way to approach it? Is there a way to upload the distro list from a text file rather than manually enter each recipient? Than...

Creating a Category from a large `To' Listing
I'm running Vista Home Premium, SP2, All WU's current, 2 GB RAM, Firefox, MBAM, CCleaner, SAS, Spyware Doctor. I routinely get an e-mail directed to a long list of folks who all belong to a group of some kind. I'd like to take the information from this list of e-mail address (that appear in the original `To' listing) and somehow get them into a category that I would name. I don't want to have to type all the individual information. That way, when I need to send out an e-mail to one of these groups I can just send it to the newly created category. I realize ...

send mail to myself goes in deleted folder?
Hi, I just had to restore my ME version on my computer. I notice I'm getting e-mail from Outlook express just fine and others are getting mail from me as well. However, when I initially tested the e-mail (and it continues even when I cc myself), when I send mail to "myself" I see it sent from my "send box" but I never get it. I found however that my "deleted folder" contains the message (not my inbox). I get noise from outlook telling me I have mail. It's just in the wrong folder (not inbox, but deleted). Again, this only happens when I send mail ...

Emails are going into Unread Folder rather than Incoming Folder
My emails are now going into Unread Folder rather than Incoming Folder and I don't know why the change or how to fix the problem. Bob VJ, you wrote on Mon, 10 May 2010 04:48:01 -0700: > My emails are now going into Unread Folder rather than Incoming Folder and I > don't know why the change or how to fix the problem. Did you create a rule that moves incoming mails into that folder? -- Best Regards Christian Goeller MVP - MS Outlook http://www.outlookfaq.net "Bob VJ" <Bob VJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2AB204A-A47C-4...

MULTI STORE ORDER WRITING-SIMPLIFY
Hi- We have 7 stores and need to simplify the order writing process. Is there any way to write POs for all of our stores without having to do each order separately? We would like for all orders to come up with the items we want to order, being able to change the quantities according to the store. Thank you in advance for your help. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0599_01C6CAFF.B4705610 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable J, Have you tried the 340 PO Planner worksheet? --=20 * Get Secure! - ...

Public folder for notices
Is there a way to set up a public folder in exchange for notices such as items for sale or such so that these emails do not get sent out in mass form to 600+ users? If so any help in set up would be greatly appreciated, and how to send or post to this would be great. THanks in advance. On 2/26/2010 5:23 AM, Kim K wrote: > Is there a way to set up a public folder in exchange for notices such as > items for sale or such so that these emails do not get sent out in mass form > to 600+ users? > > If so any help in set up would be greatly appreciated, and how to s...

microsoft.public.access.conversion
microsoft.public.access.conversion ...

Saving and retriving a classes public fields to SQLServer
Anyidea how this might be done using and XML Web Service and the XMLSerialzation class? A pointer to an online example would be deeply appreciated. Thankyou in advance, Michael McD A big topic. AKA Object-to-Relational Mapping. If you want a general solution, there are third-party tools and runtimes out there. http://eurohost.webmatrixhosting.net/madgeek/SharpToolbox/Default.aspx?Page=Search&Query=ToolName%3d%26Category%3d74089b0a-1105-4389-b1db-eedf27e20cfb (beware line breaks) If you want to do something quick and dirty, then .... I can imagine building a utility class that e...

Large Environment?
I have 5300 users on 3 clusters. I am trying to justify getting additional administrators, as right now there is only one, ME!! Anyone know of a site or white paper that talks about what is considered a large environment, recommended number of admins, etc.. TIA -- Lance Wilson Corporate Exchange Administrator I don't know of any whitepaper but I would consider 5300 mailboxes a large environment. I do not work directly in large environments but consult for a few and one of my clients has a 3500 mailbox environment with 2 exchange admins full time. I am sure others will post wit...

Too large files
I've been trying to create a flyer to be sent via e-mail. It has 4 pictures which I reduced to a resolution of 72 in Adobe Photoshop. The combined size of all the pictures is only about 245KB and yet the flyer size is 1.4M, too large for some providers. I only have a couple of sentences of copy and some borders. Why is the file so large and how do I reduce its size? I'm new at this so please be very specific. Thanks! Hi Joan (JR@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I've been trying to create a flyer to be sent via e-mail. || It has 4 pictures which ...

Permissions Required to Create Public Folders
Could someone please advise what permissions are required to create Public Folders via System Manager in the PF Tree? We have various Admin Groups and need to refine permissions. Thanks. check this technet article http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/insider/pubfolderpermissions.mspx "Help" wrote: > Could someone please advise what permissions are required to create Public > Folders via System Manager in the PF Tree? We have various Admin Groups and > need to refine permissions. Thanks. ...

pre-sales query : client information gathering
Dear All, As a pre-sales consultant, I have to collect and arrange the client information in a structured way. Are there any tools available for this or has anyone made a set of questions / process for doing this ? thanks and regards, mohit CRM is a great tool for collecting structured pre-sales data. If you are looking for a list of questions to ask prospects, you are going to need to be a little more specific: what industry are you in for starters? -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "shareaburger" wrote: > > Dear All, > > As a pre-s...

shifting folders from Windows 98 folders to XP Pro folders
I recently upgraded my PC I kept the hard drive from my old PC complete with all the programs including outlook express email It is now drive "D " in the new PC On drive "C" ia have Office installed and I am using Outlook Express with no problems I want to export all the "old" folders on my drive "D" ( Windows 98 SE ) to the "new" copy of Express ( operating system XP Pro ) This should not be a problem both drives have OE 6.0 installed the only difference is the operating system byt that should not interfere I have opened OE 6.0 o...

Public Folder Tree not visible from Outlook.
Have several clients complaining that the the Public Folder tree is not visible from several Outlook Clients. These include OutLook 2000, 2002(XP), and 2003. Our PF store exists on an a W2K server running E2K and functions as a bridge head server. The WSs run XP, W2K, or, NT4.0 as the OS. Any Clue? ...

Exchange 2003 Std Public Folders
My exchange administrator removed all permissions from the public folders hierarchy tree thus rendering the folder not visible within system manager. I tried stopping and a starting the Information store service to resolve this issue, but am not unable to remount the information store database. Here are the errors it gives when I try to mount the pub1.edb database. The store could not be mounted because the active directory information was not replicated yet. and then: The Microsoft Exchange Information Store could not find the specified object. ID no.: c1041722 Exchange System Manage...

Running eseutil /d simultaneously in 2 different stores
Hi all! Just wondering if it is possible to run more than one instance of "eseutil /d" simultaneously in 2 (or more) different mailbox stores. Does anyone know if it can be done? Any articles or documentation about it? Thanks for any help Andre Seitz Don't see a problem with that, as long as you have the storage and cpu to support that kind of activity (depending on size of stores.... ). -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Seitz" <seitz@uol.com.br> wrote in message news:Oh2$fhFxFHA.3252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi all! >...

LARGE
Hello everyone, can i make "large" to return to me both numbers when they are the same value. example: A1- 50 A2- 68 A3- 98 A4- 101 A5- 68 .... i use LARGE to get the top three, but when i got two or more with the same value i want those too. so in this case i want to have in return: value 1 = 101 value 2 = 98 value 3 = 68 (from cell a2) value 4 = 68 (from cell a5) (i dont care about the order of the last two) thanks http://tinyurl.com/f6zwq -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "ArturoCohen" <arturo.cohen@gmail.com> wrote in message n...

my cursor moves while typing causing me to insert information
please help me discover why my cursor jumps on the page Hi pat, If you're using a laptop, it may be because you're brushing the touchpad. If so, try disabling the touchpad while you're typing. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "pat" <pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DE751C4-E4DC-4968-81F1-D08B669EA8CA@microsoft.com... > please help me discover why my cursor jumps on the page ...

Web favorites folder
I have installed a new hard drive on my computer and made it my primairy. My old drive is a slave. I want to move my favorits pointer to my new h/d. Where is it & what file name? Thank you bill@springprop.com It depends on your operating system, but if you are talking about Internet Explorer favorites, look for a folder called "Favorites". "Bill" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:062801c3ad0c$c0bf4840$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have installed a new hard drive on my computer and made > it my primairy. My old drive is a slave. ...