Outlook Inbox not fully populating

I have a user that has 1.5gb inbox w/ over 8,000 items in his inbox.  I've
removed the PC from the domain.  When I re-configured the mail client,
Outlook populates but never completely loads the entire mailbox, particularly
the inbox.  He gets about 1,100 messages in his inbox when in reality he has
over 8,000.  I've tested another domain computer and loaded the inbox with
the same result, however, when I check his mail over OWA it's complete and
has the enitre contents of his Inbox.

Thanks in advance for your help.
0
Modci (15)

did you set up the Outlook profile in cached mode?

--
Susan Conkey [MVP]

"Modci" <Modci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a user that has 1.5gb inbox w/ over 8,000 items in his inbox.  I've
> removed the PC from the domain.  When I re-configured the mail client,
> Outlook populates but never completely loads the entire mailbox,
particularly
> the inbox.  He gets about 1,100 messages in his inbox when in reality he
has
> over 8,000.  I've tested another domain computer and loaded the inbox with
> the same result, however, when I check his mail over OWA it's complete and
> has the enitre contents of his Inbox.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

0
sconkey (3059)
6/13/2006 3:36:27 PM
Absolutely.  That's the idea since he's moving to a remote location and is
checking his mail over a dsl connection.  Even so, on the other system I
tested with cached mode enabled and disabled.

Trent

"Susan" wrote:

> did you set up the Outlook profile in cached mode?
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Modci" <Modci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a user that has 1.5gb inbox w/ over 8,000 items in his inbox.  I've
> > removed the PC from the domain.  When I re-configured the mail client,
> > Outlook populates but never completely loads the entire mailbox,
> particularly
> > the inbox.  He gets about 1,100 messages in his inbox when in reality he
> has
> > over 8,000.  I've tested another domain computer and loaded the inbox with
> > the same result, however, when I check his mail over OWA it's complete and
> > has the enitre contents of his Inbox.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for your help.

0
Modci (15)
6/13/2006 3:44:02 PM
and it didn't work when not in cached mode, either?

--

> Absolutely.  That's the idea since he's moving to a remote location and is
> checking his mail over a dsl connection.  Even so, on the other system I
> tested with cached mode enabled and disabled.
>
> Trent
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > did you set up the Outlook profile in cached mode?
> >
> > --
> > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> >

> > "Modci" <Modci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a user that has 1.5gb inbox w/ over 8,000 items in his inbox.
I've
> > > removed the PC from the domain.  When I re-configured the mail client,
> > > Outlook populates but never completely loads the entire mailbox,
> > particularly
> > > the inbox.  He gets about 1,100 messages in his inbox when in reality
he
> > has
> > > over 8,000.  I've tested another domain computer and loaded the inbox
with
> > > the same result, however, when I check his mail over OWA it's complete
and
> > > has the enitre contents of his Inbox.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for your help.

0
sconkey (3059)
6/13/2006 3:53:05 PM
No.  Same result whether it was in cached mode and not in cached mode.

"Susan" wrote:

> and it didn't work when not in cached mode, either?
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Modci" <Modci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Absolutely.  That's the idea since he's moving to a remote location and is
> > checking his mail over a dsl connection.  Even so, on the other system I
> > tested with cached mode enabled and disabled.
> >
> > Trent
> >
> > "Susan" wrote:
> >
> > > did you set up the Outlook profile in cached mode?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> > >

> > > "Modci" <Modci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've
> > > particularly
> he
> > > has
> with
> and

0
Modci (15)
6/13/2006 4:01:02 PM
if you just let it sit for awhile, anything happen?  does it show, when it's
in cached mode, that it's still synchronizing?

--

> No.  Same result whether it was in cached mode and not in cached mode.
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > and it didn't work when not in cached mode, either?
> >
> > --
> > Susan Conkey [MVP]
> >

> > "Modci" <Modci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Absolutely.  That's the idea since he's moving to a remote location
and is
> > > checking his mail over a dsl connection.  Even so, on the other system
> > > tested with cached mode enabled and disabled.
> > >
> > > Trent

> > I've
> > he
> > with
> > and

0
sconkey (3059)
6/13/2006 4:08:55 PM
Ok you got to remember everytime this client connects to Exchange it has to
populate his Inbox whether in cached mode or not. I had the same problem
with a user but he didn't have nearly half that many emails in his Inbox.
You need to teach this client how to organize and create folders. He
probably has email dating back years ago in the Inbox like my user did. Well
they apparantly are to busy or too lazy to really organize their mailbox so
to make a short term solution I created folders for him by the year and not
in the Inbox. 2000, 2001. 2002 etc...... Sorted the Inbox by date and moved
the mail out of the Inbox and what do you know. Problem resolved.

"Modci" <Modci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No.  Same result whether it was in cached mode and not in cached mode.
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
>> and it didn't work when not in cached mode, either?
>>
>> --
>> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>>

>> "Modci" <Modci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Absolutely.  That's the idea since he's moving to a remote location and
>> > is
>> > checking his mail over a dsl connection.  Even so, on the other system
>> > tested with cached mode enabled and disabled.
>> >
>> > Trent

>> I've
>> he
>> with
>> and

0
fakename1 (50)
6/13/2006 4:31:50 PM
Yes I realize the inbox needs to be populated with new messages.  The
problem is that messages older than May/2006 are not populating at all.  He's
missing approx. 7,000 inbox objects (mail).  I need to determine what is
causing this and how to resolve.  Again, if I check his mail through OWA
those objects are there, but they are not there when I use the Outlook
client.  I've tested on two machines and they are both now on a 100mb network
(not running over dsl during this troubleshooting period).
"MS User2006" wrote:

> Ok you got to remember everytime this client connects to Exchange it has to
> populate his Inbox whether in cached mode or not. I had the same problem
> with a user but he didn't have nearly half that many emails in his Inbox.
> You need to teach this client how to organize and create folders. He
> probably has email dating back years ago in the Inbox like my user did. Well
> they apparantly are to busy or too lazy to really organize their mailbox so
> to make a short term solution I created folders for him by the year and not
> in the Inbox. 2000, 2001. 2002 etc...... Sorted the Inbox by date and moved
> the mail out of the Inbox and what do you know. Problem resolved.
>
> "Modci" <Modci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > No.  Same result whether it was in cached mode and not in cached mode.
> >
> > "Susan" wrote:
> >
> >> and it didn't work when not in cached mode, either?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Susan Conkey [MVP]
> >>

> >> "Modci" <Modci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> I've
> >> he
> >> with
> >> and

0
Modci (15)
6/13/2006 6:03:01 PM
there's not some type of view filter configured in the Outlook profile, is
there?

--

> Yes I realize the inbox needs to be populated with new messages.  The
> problem is that messages older than May/2006 are not populating at all.
He's
> missing approx. 7,000 inbox objects (mail).  I need to determine what is
> causing this and how to resolve.  Again, if I check his mail through OWA
> those objects are there, but they are not there when I use the Outlook
> client.  I've tested on two machines and they are both now on a 100mb
network
> (not running over dsl during this troubleshooting period).
> "MS User2006" wrote:
>
> > Ok you got to remember everytime this client connects to Exchange it has
> > populate his Inbox whether in cached mode or not. I had the same problem
> > with a user but he didn't have nearly half that many emails in his
Inbox.
> > You need to teach this client how to organize and create folders. He
> > probably has email dating back years ago in the Inbox like my user did.
Well
> > they apparantly are to busy or too lazy to really organize their mailbox
so
> > to make a short term solution I created folders for him by the year and
not
> > in the Inbox. 2000, 2001. 2002 etc...... Sorted the Inbox by date and
moved
> > the mail out of the Inbox and what do you know. Problem resolved.
> >
> > "Modci" <Modci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > No.  Same result whether it was in cached mode and not in cached mode.

0
sconkey (3059)
6/13/2006 6:38:37 PM
No, there is no filter applied.  Also, I have tried on another computer
running outlook with the same result.

Thanks.

"Susan" wrote:

> there's not some type of view filter configured in the Outlook profile, is
> there?
>
> --
> Susan Conkey [MVP]
>

> "Modci" <Modci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Yes I realize the inbox needs to be populated with new messages.  The
> > problem is that messages older than May/2006 are not populating at all.
> He's
> > missing approx. 7,000 inbox objects (mail).  I need to determine what is
> > causing this and how to resolve.  Again, if I check his mail through OWA
> > those objects are there, but they are not there when I use the Outlook
> > client.  I've tested on two machines and they are both now on a 100mb
> network
> > (not running over dsl during this troubleshooting period).
> > "MS User2006" wrote:
> >
> > > Ok you got to remember everytime this client connects to Exchange it has
> > > populate his Inbox whether in cached mode or not. I had the same problem
> > > with a user but he didn't have nearly half that many emails in his
> Inbox.
> > > You need to teach this client how to organize and create folders. He
> > > probably has email dating back years ago in the Inbox like my user did.
> Well
> > > they apparantly are to busy or too lazy to really organize their mailbox
> so
> > > to make a short term solution I created folders for him by the year and
> not
> > > in the Inbox. 2000, 2001. 2002 etc...... Sorted the Inbox by date and
> moved
> > > the mail out of the Inbox and what do you know. Problem resolved.
> > >
> > > "Modci" <Modci@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> and
> system

> mailbox,

0
Modci (15)
6/13/2006 8:21:02 PM
Have you tried going in through OWA, making a couple (In your case a
couple dozen) folders under the inbox, or somewhere, then moving some
of these messages into there?
That way the folders can be syncronized and cached in multiple tries.
It may take a few times connecting to get them all. My mailbox is 6
gigs with hundreds of folders. I know it can be frustrating and time
consuming to get them all cached. Check the drive space on your local
machine.

There are also some timeout settings under outlook you may want to
check, but if it syncronizes the folders with the older emails in them,
you can show the user how important it is to organize their exchange
mailboxes.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Michael Roark

0
Michael
6/14/2006 5:10:23 PM
Probably every Admin's pet peeve, the problem resolves itself without ever
identifying the cause.  After Outlook had been closed for several hours I
opened it again to continue troublshooting, this time the Inbox completely
populated.  As I stated earlier I tested on 2 separate systems with the same
results and Outlook had been closed over the course of two days several
times.  However, now 'like magic' it fully populated the Inbox without any
changes being made.

WEIRD but I guess I'll take it.  Thank you ALL for your suggestions and
feedback.

"Michael Roark" wrote:

> Have you tried going in through OWA, making a couple (In your case a
> couple dozen) folders under the inbox, or somewhere, then moving some
> of these messages into there?
> That way the folders can be syncronized and cached in multiple tries.
> It may take a few times connecting to get them all. My mailbox is 6
> gigs with hundreds of folders. I know it can be frustrating and time
> consuming to get them all cached. Check the drive space on your local
> machine.
>
> There are also some timeout settings under outlook you may want to
> check, but if it syncronizes the folders with the older emails in them,
> you can show the user how important it is to organize their exchange
> mailboxes.
>
> Hope this helps. Good luck.
>
> Michael Roark

0
Modci (15)

Outlook with Outlook Express ?

Outlook freezes up

Outlook Contacts 05-25-07

Outlook & Entourage

Opening Outlook

gridlines in outlook?

can't create rules in outlook

outlook 2002

select name box freezes Outlook

outlook and links in emails

Outlook XP and attachments

Exchange 2010, Outlook 2003

Outlook 2007

outlook #180
How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for birthdays or other events? Thank you, in advance, to anyone that can answer this question. In the reminders box, enter 1w for one week or 7d. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Harvey asked: | How do I set reminders (one week in advance) for | birthdays or other events? | | Thank you, in advance, to anyo...

Spam Confidence Level (SCL) in Outlook 2007 with Exchange 2003
I have just upgraded our client machines to run Outlook 2007 while connecting to an SBS 2003 R2 server. I can no longer access the SCL values. I have tried a number of suggestions found on the web but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have a working solution for this configuration. Thanks Using the CFG to create the custom field? It seems to work for some and not others. I'm not sure why that is, but after an odd experience with one of the other CFG's I have, I thought of the SCL form and wondered if its something with the folders its installed in. [1] Beyond this...

outlook to outlook express #4
Hi, I am hoping there is away to import all my Outlook Express settings inc address book, messages and files in all local folders to Outlook 2003. I am using Outlook Express 6 When I start to install Outlook 2003 it asks if I want to Configure an email account... I stopped there afraid I would lose all my settings from Express. Any and all help would be appreciated I think you say no to that dialog and then you will get prompted about importing from OE. (Even if you say yes, it won't go delete anything out of OE.) "Manny" <manny_is@hotmail.com> wrote in messag...

Outlook XP to Outlook 2002
Is there a way to export my *.pst files from Outlook XP (newest edition) to Outlook 2002. Files are incompatable (normal). Is there anyway this can be done. My computer at home is Brand new with MS Small for XP (new). I usually get my mail from work at home and at the end of the day(s), I create a *.pst to send to work and load into my main Outlook (2002 version). Any sugguestions if any. Thanks gene Gene <gbarbato@eaglecondev.com> wrote: > Is there a way to export my *.pst files from Outlook XP > (newest edition) to Outlook 2002. Huh? Office XP contains Outlook 2002. ...

Outlook 2000 boots for a few seconds, then shuts down
My Outlook 2000 (running under XP) has started booting, but only for a few seconds, then it shuts down by itself. I cannot access new or stored messages, manage the personal folders, etc. I get a popup Microsoft Outlook message that says: Error signature AppName: outlook.exe AppVer: 9.0.0.6604 ModName: emailscanner.dll ModVer: 1.0.0.1 Offset: 00040df3 To view technical information about the error report, click here. CLOSE button I have re-installed Microsoft Office 2000 (including Outlook 2000), but the problem remains. Outlook still boots and then disappears in seconds...

Outlook is very slow to open since new router installed
We are running Outlook 2000 with Exchange Server, since we had a Netgear Firewall & Surecom Ethernet installed Outlook is exceedingly slow to open. It can take as long as 4 - 5 minutes for some users to open their Outlook. Any clues? We have approx 13 PC's connnected to the server. I (personally) have noticed no difference but our other users have. tia Check your hardware configurations as if this was working before and the only change was hardware, 99.9% sure it is a hardware problem. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intac...