Outgoing emails keep getting stuck

I have Exchange Server 2003 as part of Small Business Server 2003 and am 
having problems with outgoing email (SMTP). When I reboot the server, 
everything runs fine for a day or two, but after a while, outgoing email 
hangs up and the emails start timing out and coming back undeliverable. 
I have looked up several of the stuck emails in the message tracking 
center, and the history shows several "Started Outbound Transfer of 
Message" and then "Message transferred to mail.destinationserver.com 
through SMTP". However, it never gets there, and I see these two lines 
repeated several times until finally a NDR is generated and the message 
quits trying.



I've tried comparing my settings to another Exchange Server (2000) that 
I have and haven't found any problems. I have also gone to the command 
prompt on the server and telnet 25'ed to the mail server that the 
messages are getting stuck sending to; no problem here, either.



The problem seems to be with certain domains, as well. I can send fine 
to my home email address, but not to my email address at my primary 
office. One thing I wonder is if it has something to do with VPN. I 
often VPN into the server that has the problem from my primary office, 
the domain which I can't deliver mail to. Any chance this could be 
related, maybe it's getting lost on how to get around the network to 
this domain?



Can someone give me some direction?



Thanks,


Chet






0
chetsjunk (4)
2/3/2005 2:46:16 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 2 followers. Follow

2 Replies
599 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 44

I have the same problem and I can't see anything wrong. It's only happening 
to 2 or 3 domain and AOL.com is one of them.

"Chet Cromer" wrote:

> I have Exchange Server 2003 as part of Small Business Server 2003 and am 
> having problems with outgoing email (SMTP). When I reboot the server, 
> everything runs fine for a day or two, but after a while, outgoing email 
> hangs up and the emails start timing out and coming back undeliverable. 
> I have looked up several of the stuck emails in the message tracking 
> center, and the history shows several "Started Outbound Transfer of 
> Message" and then "Message transferred to mail.destinationserver.com 
> through SMTP". However, it never gets there, and I see these two lines 
> repeated several times until finally a NDR is generated and the message 
> quits trying.
> 
> 
> 
> I've tried comparing my settings to another Exchange Server (2000) that 
> I have and haven't found any problems. I have also gone to the command 
> prompt on the server and telnet 25'ed to the mail server that the 
> messages are getting stuck sending to; no problem here, either.
> 
> 
> 
> The problem seems to be with certain domains, as well. I can send fine 
> to my home email address, but not to my email address at my primary 
> office. One thing I wonder is if it has something to do with VPN. I 
> often VPN into the server that has the problem from my primary office, 
> the domain which I can't deliver mail to. Any chance this could be 
> related, maybe it's getting lost on how to get around the network to 
> this domain?
> 
> 
> 
> Can someone give me some direction?
> 
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> 
> Chet
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
0
HELP (162)
2/4/2005 3:15:03 PM
I had this issue until I installed SP1 and that fixed the major part of it.
I still had a few issues with sending to yahoo and a few other domains from
time to time, and that was because of an issue with the verison of PIX we
are running here.  The real fix was to ugrade the PIX to the latest version,
but that isnt an option at the moment, so the only other work around was to
turn off EDNS on the dns server.  Once I did this everything has been
flowing fine.  Here are a couple links to check out that may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828731

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828263






"please help" <please help@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A361C803-FE52-402F-B256-97E171267586@microsoft.com...
> I have the same problem and I can't see anything wrong. It's only
happening
> to 2 or 3 domain and AOL.com is one of them.
>
> "Chet Cromer" wrote:
>
> > I have Exchange Server 2003 as part of Small Business Server 2003 and am
> > having problems with outgoing email (SMTP). When I reboot the server,
> > everything runs fine for a day or two, but after a while, outgoing email
> > hangs up and the emails start timing out and coming back undeliverable.
> > I have looked up several of the stuck emails in the message tracking
> > center, and the history shows several "Started Outbound Transfer of
> > Message" and then "Message transferred to mail.destinationserver.com
> > through SMTP". However, it never gets there, and I see these two lines
> > repeated several times until finally a NDR is generated and the message
> > quits trying.
> >
> >
> >
> > I've tried comparing my settings to another Exchange Server (2000) that
> > I have and haven't found any problems. I have also gone to the command
> > prompt on the server and telnet 25'ed to the mail server that the
> > messages are getting stuck sending to; no problem here, either.
> >
> >
> >
> > The problem seems to be with certain domains, as well. I can send fine
> > to my home email address, but not to my email address at my primary
> > office. One thing I wonder is if it has something to do with VPN. I
> > often VPN into the server that has the problem from my primary office,
> > the domain which I can't deliver mail to. Any chance this could be
> > related, maybe it's getting lost on how to get around the network to
> > this domain?
> >
> >
> >
> > Can someone give me some direction?
> >
> >
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> >
> > Chet
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >


0
Nospam7558 (31)
2/4/2005 5:20:20 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Outgoing mail font issue
I'm running WLM (Build 14.0.8089.0726) under Vista 64-bit with all current updates. I have WLM set to send mail in HTML format, and have also added a signature block with text and images to use on command: Insert/Signature. My default Compose Mail font is 12-point Arial. I also use this same font in the text portion of the signature. The problem is that recipients who use Outlook see all my text as Times New Roman. I was able to go into my signature file (originally created with WLM) and edit the HTML with Notepad, specifying the font and size for the signature text. No...

Can emails be sent on behalf of a distribution group?
Hello, Our company needs to set up an email notification mechanism for informing our customers of upcoming events. The emails must originate from events@mycompany.com. Customers must RSVP to events@mycompany.com. Any email that is received on events@mycompany.com must be redirected to a few selected users. I created "events" as an email-enabled global distribution group. I also went ahead and added "Full Control" security for some of the users (including myself) so that "send as" can work for these users. Now, when an email is sent to events@mycompany.com, all ...

MS CRM 1.2
Hi all, we have successfully completed the E-mail router, but when we sent an e-mail the next error appears on the exchange server log: 'An error occurred in the SOAP proxy while attempting to deliver a message. Message subject: 'hello..... CRM:{D72F6A8B-19AE-48E5-A571-518EC3BEB1DD}:MRC' URL: 'http://crm/MSCRMServices/CrmEmail.srf' SOAP Error: 8 ( SOAPCLIENT_PARSEFAULT_ERROR )' ...

Outgoing
Hi Soon our company will be upgrading to exchange 2003. Just wanted to know if there is a way too add the company logo or image to the end of all outgoing emails. Is there a tool on 2003 to do this? Thanks David Yes there is, and I would highly recommend against using it to do so. One of the previous threads noted that http://www.maildisclaimer.com/ works. You have to guarantee that recipients are recieving the e-mail is in something other than plain text. In most cases it works with recipients that utilize a It would show as an attachment and might set off message filters (spam filte...

Two email accounts
I have set up two email accounts on outlook on two different servers. My primary server (the one i've been using) works fine, but the second one keeps prompting me for my user name and password. I've validated it and it just keeps popping up. it won't send my emails from this server but i have received some. i've verified all the fill-in information with both servers / providers. is this a problem with two accounts on outlook as suggested by some of my contacts? thanks for any help ...

excel emailed as the body of email loses formating
Now when I send an excel spreadsheet as the body of the email instead of as an attachement it losses the formating ie. lines font alignment. If anyone has a solution for this please help............ Thank you, Earl p.s. I believe it started after a auto update from MS. It has affected all the computers at my work even though they have diffrent versions of windows, excel, and outlook. ...

How to add a received email sender to Contacts
I shall be glad if somebody can let me know how to add the sender of a received email to my Contacts list in Outlook 2003. Regards and thanks in advance. Avatar ------- Right click on the sender's address in the TO field and select "add to contacts." --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Avatar asked: | I shall be glad if somebody can let me know how to add the sender of a | received email to my ...

can you get a backup copy of a document in Excel?
Is there a way to retreive an original version of a file in Excel, as you can in Word (Save a Backup copy option)? thanks, Peggy File>save as>tools>general options and check always create back up -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Peggy Allen" <Peggy Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7402BDBF-5985-4DCF-BC2C-0ADFECD94582@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to retreive an original version of a file in Excel, as you can > in Word (Save a Backup copy option)? > > thanks, Peggy ...

Where are emails stored
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop Hi <br> New to Mac question. I installed Office 2008 on my iMac and managed to transfer mail and accounts in ok. The first time I powered the Mac down completely, I found I had lost all my mails and settings! <br><br>The only thing I can think off where I went off piste was transferring the Microsoft Use Data folder out of documents where it had been installed. I have now transferred everything back into Documents. <br><br>I can't see an obvious place in the...

Internal email only
I wish to set up Exchange 2003 to only host internal email messages and let users use Outlook to access Internet email. However, can't find specific steps. Any suggestions? -- Joe E Brown Caris Network Solutions MCSE - Windows 2000 jbrown@carisnet.com 888-652-8510 Syracuse 695-3222 www.carisnet.com Celebrating our 10th year in business "Joe Brown" <jbrown@carisnet.com> wrote in message news:ulG5iw7SGHA.2156@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >I wish to set up Exchange 2003 to only host internal email messages and let >users use Outlook to access Internet email. How...

automatic contact list when addressing an email
I use Microsoft Office 2003, after typing the first letter of a contact when sending an email only contacts used that day come up, how do i set it so all contacts with that first letter come up???? It is the autocompletion cache which remembers the past 1000 names you have sent to. It has nothing to do with what's in your Contacts folder. Send an email to all your contacts (if you have less than 1000) and it will store them all in the autocompletion cache. Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook in Canberra, Australia .. "Clark" <Clark@discussions.micros...

Queue Stuck After Resource Addition
Experts, we have a month old 2007 Dev enviornmetn. The queue stopped working yesterday after I added around 3500 resources to the Enterprise pool. No jobs are being proccessed right now. I tried restarting the Queue Service and rebooting the server with no luck. any ideas? Check your DB server's diskspace. This happened to me as my dev server has very limited resources. "Hadi" wrote: > Experts, > > we have a month old 2007 Dev enviornmetn. The queue stopped working > yesterday after I added around 3500 resources to the Enterprise pool. No jobs...

Missing text from email
We have two users out of 50 who lose the message text when they are sending messages. It is an intermittent problem. We are using Outlook 2002 and Exchange. The latest service packs have been applied to both machines. Any ideas? ...

Obtain Outlook Signature in Email
I have a signature stored in Outlook that is automatically inserted when I create a new email. I have created a VBScript to generate an email and would like to insert that same signature, or possibly a different one, into the email. I have searched in vain for a method of accessing the signatures from a script. I am currently inserting a "signature" as part of the message text, but want to make this script available so that anyone can use it and have their signature inserted. Can someone help me on this? I have included a sample of the script I have written. Thanks. Sample sc...

CRM EMAIL FORMATTING
I think there is a strong need to have formatting options as word,excel and outlook available in crm email Templates. Things like adding attachments, pictures etc for emails should be supported. If you think this is so please vote for this. Kind Regards Ridhima ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then clic...

stuck email won't delete--holding up sync process
using an imap gmail account with WLM 14.0.8089.0726 on win xpsp3. there is a stuck outgoing message in the [Gmail] subfolder that will not delete. trying to delete it stalls WLM indefinitely (I left it overnight to find it still trying to delete the message). what's worse is that when syncing, upon reaching the [Gmail] folder containing this stuck email, syncing stalls out as well. I've gone through the program folders with windows explorer and can't seem to find that message to kill it that way either. I tried searching the forum for an answer but my searching...

Closing emails automatically on replies and forwards
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Email Client: pop How do I get the original email to close automatically when i reply or forward it? I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find the function so I have to manually close every email. On 1/29/10 7:49 AM, in article 59bb1d50.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "sdaija@officeformac.com" <sdaija@officeformac.com> wrote: > How do I get the original email to close automatically when i reply or forward > it? I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find the function so I have to > ...

Message to all outgoing
Is it possible add a message to all outgoing mails for all users at one time, we are using Exchange 2003 ? Jack -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Jeg beskyttes af den gratis SPAMfighter til privatbrugere. Den har indtil videre sparet mig for at f� 16769 spam-mails Betalende brugere f�r ikke denne besked i deres e-mails. Hent en gratis SPAMfighter her. You mean like a disclaimer? Nothing native or built-in. - Using a transport event sink - (the following code has a is a painful exercise at best, doesn't work for locally delivered messa...

Email Attachments #6
Hey- It used to be that when I got attachments, the attachment icon would be in the body of the email along with the text - and therefore very easy to select, copy and paste into other emails. However, now, many times the attachment icon is showing up in an issolated box separated from the text by a grey line. Now I can't select, copy and paste the icon as easily as I used to. Question: A.) Is there a way to take an email, that has it's attachments issolated in this box at the bottem and put it back with the text in the body? B.) Is there a way to manipulate this kind of ema...

Can't receive email from outside network
I am unable to get email messages to my inbox from outside of our network. I have been told this is an easy fix in the settings, but i don't know how. HELP! Outlook needs to be configured to use a SMTP server. Look under Tools. >-----Original Message----- >I am unable to get email messages to my inbox from outside >of our network. I have been told this is an easy fix in >the settings, but i don't know how. HELP! >. > ...

How do I back up my emails from all my accounts
Hello, I have had to resort to using window live mail and have had issues, I don't know how to back up my emails, is there an easy way to do this? Here's a free backup utility that works well: http://www.staticbackup.com/windows-live-mail-backup/ Be sure to download the correct app, not the 8-in-1 version. Note that it will not backup your contacts if you're running Windows XP. If that's the case, backup your contacts by exporting it as a CSV file to the same target storage area as your main backup. -- Google is your friend..... "Davey" <D...

Using Broadband for Email
I run a small Exchange server (7 users) and because we're out in the UK countryside we've only just got broadband. I'd like to set up my IMS so it's using the broadband to send mail rather than the ISDN dial up we currently use. Has anyone done this in the UK, if so I'd appreciate any advice on which supplier you used and how you set it up. Any help much appreciated. Barny And the version of Exchange is? Barny wrote: > I run a small Exchange server (7 users) and because we're out in the > UK countryside we've only just got broadband. I'd like to s...

update email address in 'from field' of emails I send.
I keep getting a defunct email address showing up in the 'from field' of email I send. I want to update my email address to my current one. Please help. max Change your e-mail address in your mail account settings in Outlook. max tell wrote: > I keep getting a defunct email address showing up in the 'from field' > of email I send. I want to update my email address to my current one. > Please help. > > max How can I get the from field to auto fill in my email address? Yep, I have the email address in my account setup etc. 2003. Ty in advance. "L...

Keeping data private per User in a multi user database
Hello. I have an Accounting Access DB that I intend at some point to split into front-end (tables, forms, reports) and back-end (data), then I hope to deploy on the web. I will eventually have around 30 distributed users (only about 5 concurrent) – each inputs the same type of financial data but does business independent of the others and so must NEVER see the data entered by the other users. To make future releases and bug fixes as simple as possible, I intend to have a single instance of the front-end that each of the Users will access. However, as each User must NEVER see...

IMF Blocks Outgoing Messages
Hi, I have an issue with a live server. Having had Exchange SP2 installed and configured for a while, the client finally agreed to Filtering of emails. I have setup the filtering on several servers without issue. This particular server is capturing outgoing emails to clients. I have checked that they are in ADUC, sender filtering is not enabled, and all other areas seem to be ok. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated :o) Simon On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:42:48 -0800, Simon Roberts <SimonRoberts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have an issue with a live server....