Open Relay Tests using abuse.net

I have done two Open Relay Tests using the abuse.net site. On the first I
used my work email address me@companyname.com and entered the mail server IP
address and got the following test message emailed to me:

This is a test of third-party mail relay, generated via the
Network Abuse Clearinghouse at http://www.abuse.net.

Target host = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx mailservername.companyname.local
Test performed by <me@companyname.com> from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <-gateway ip

A well-configured mail server should NOT relay third-party email.
Otherwise, the server is subject to abuse by vandals and spammers,
and probable blacklisting by recipients of the unwanted third-party
e-mail.

For information on how to secure a mail server against third-party
relay, visit <URL: http://www.mail-abuse.com/support/an_sec3rdparty.html>.

The second time I did it I used my personal email address me@home.com and
entered the mail server IP address, this time a series of 10 relay tests
were done with the following message on the web page:

Relay test result
 All tests performed, no relays accepted.

Does this mean my mail server is open or not? It seems to be that it is when
using an email address with the company domain name included?

Could anybody shed some light on this for me?

Many Thanks in advance

0
b.johns (10)

A simple test to do is  :

connect by telnet port 25 on your mail server and try to send a mail Ouside
you organisation:

telnet IPSever 25
hello test.com
mail from:<james@test.com>
rcpt to:<james@yahoo.fr>

If your server is not open relay, a line like this must appear :
550 5.7.1 Unable to relay

hope this will help

James

"Barry Johns" wrote:

> I have done two Open Relay Tests using the abuse.net site. On the first I
> used my work email address me@companyname.com and entered the mail server IP
> address and got the following test message emailed to me:
>

> This is a test of third-party mail relay, generated via the
> Network Abuse Clearinghouse at http://www.abuse.net.
>
> Target host = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx mailservername.companyname.local
> Test performed by <me@companyname.com> from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <-gateway ip
>
> A well-configured mail server should NOT relay third-party email.
> Otherwise, the server is subject to abuse by vandals and spammers,
> and probable blacklisting by recipients of the unwanted third-party
> e-mail.
>
> For information on how to secure a mail server against third-party
> relay, visit <URL: http://www.mail-abuse.com/support/an_sec3rdparty.html>.
>

> The second time I did it I used my personal email address me@home.com and
> entered the mail server IP address, this time a series of 10 relay tests
> were done with the following message on the web page:
>
> Relay test result
>  All tests performed, no relays accepted.
>
> Does this mean my mail server is open or not? It seems to be that it is when
> using an email address with the company domain name included?
>
> Could anybody shed some light on this for me?
>
> Many Thanks in advance

0
James6891 (359)
1/26/2006 11:58:02 AM
Thanks James. I ran that test and got that unable to relay message. So I
guess it must be OK then. Just strange that that I had the "Susceptical"
message from abuse.net.

On 26/1/06 11:58 am, in article
59873BF8-C99F-415F-92B6-461AF77F336C@microsoft.com, "James"
<James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> A simple test to do is  :
>
> connect by telnet port 25 on your mail server and try to send a mail Ouside
> you organisation:
>
> telnet IPSever 25
> hello test.com
> mail from:<james@test.com>
> rcpt to:<james@yahoo.fr>
>
> If your server is not open relay, a line like this must appear :
> 550 5.7.1 Unable to relay
>
> hope this will help
>
> James
>

> "Barry Johns" wrote:
>
>> I have done two Open Relay Tests using the abuse.net site. On the first I
>> used my work email address me@companyname.com and entered the mail server IP
>> address and got the following test message emailed to me:
>>

>> This is a test of third-party mail relay, generated via the
>> Network Abuse Clearinghouse at http://www.abuse.net.
>>
>> Target host = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx mailservername.companyname.local
>> Test performed by <me@companyname.com> from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx <-gateway ip
>>
>> A well-configured mail server should NOT relay third-party email.
>> Otherwise, the server is subject to abuse by vandals and spammers,
>> and probable blacklisting by recipients of the unwanted third-party
>> e-mail.
>>
>> For information on how to secure a mail server against third-party
>> relay, visit <URL: http://www.mail-abuse.com/support/an_sec3rdparty.html>.
>>

>> The second time I did it I used my personal email address me@home.com and
>> entered the mail server IP address, this time a series of 10 relay tests
>> were done with the following message on the web page:
>>
>> Relay test result
>>  All tests performed, no relays accepted.
>>
>> Does this mean my mail server is open or not? It seems to be that it is when
>> using an email address with the company domain name included?
>>
>> Could anybody shed some light on this for me?
>>
>> Many Thanks in advance

0
b.johns (10)

Is there a way of using EM_STREAMIN to load a file into a rich edit control of another application
Greetings!! This is my post to this group, so please make me aware if I don't follow the proper etiquette :-) Question: Is there a way of using EM_STREAMIN to load a file into a rich edit control of another application? What I really need to do: I need to load a file into a RICHEDIT20A control of another application (lets call that application RichTextEditor). The RichTextEditor application does not provide support to "load a file" but does provide support for "copy" and "paste" operations. What I have already tried: A) I have written an MFC dialog applic...

Excel attachments open up in Powerpoint
Hi - I had tried to open an Excel file from a floppy using Powerpoint (don't ask....) This failed. I erased the file. Later I tried to open some other Excel files from existing e-mails I had previously received and stored in Outlook. *ALL* the Excel files are now opening up in Powerpoint ! If I Save the Excel attachment to the hard drive, then "open with" Excel, all is OK. But I can no longer just Open directly from the e-mail. Help would be appreciated. Thx. Go to Windows Explorer - Tools->Folder Options->File Types. Change the association for opening E...

popup when open public folder from system manager
Hi, I always got this popup when open Public Folder from Exchange System Manager: Title : Exchange System Manager The operation completed succesfully. Facility : Win32 ID no. c0070000 Exchange System Manager No error in the Event Viewer... Please advice. Regards Acung have you tried what James Chong mentioned here http:// www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/28432674/re-exchange-system- manag.aspx 1. In adsiedit first verify if your PF tree is a MAPI PF tree and not a general purpose tree. ADSIEDIT.MSC Click Ok. (ADSIEDIT is part of your Windows 2000\2003 Support Tools found on the...

Set up basic Macro in EXcel to use in other applications
Hi There are certain repetitive entries in another application that are preformed on a daily basis. I understand there is a way that you can record these basic macros in Excel and are able to perform or use them for other applications. Can anyone tell be how this is done or point me in the right direction to find this information. It is basic entry and copy paste steps that I need to record. I am about an intermediate user but if it is explained to me I could probably figure it out. I use exel 97 and also have 2003 ...

how to open pcx files
can anyone help me out to open pcx file in ms outlook2003 ...

Making a XmlElement Order property on .NET 1.1
Hi, What would be the best way to create an Order property for the XmlElementAttribute like in .NET 2.0, so my XmlSerializer will serialize elements in the order I desire? So far, I've made a new custom attribute class called Order which is applied to the XmlElement in class form, but now I'm trying to figure out the best place to handle the Order. Any ideas? I've yet to really look into it, but I'm struggling between overriding XmlSerializer or XmlSerializationWriter. Bump.. jhowey wrote: > Hi, > > What would be the best way to create an Order property for the &...

Using values in drop down boxes in formulae
Is there any way to use the value shown in a drop down box in a sum formula. I am trying to work out the total of a column including whatever number is shown in the drop down box. The formul at the moment is =SUM(C16:C28) with the drop down box positioned on cell C28. Is there any way of linking the drop down box to the cell so the number shown is added as well? Thx --------- www.coffeecozy.com Use your Bodum and give up cold coffee for good! Hi what drop down boy are you suing ('Data - validation')? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "44203 - ExcelForums.com" <...

Can not open file
I have a workbook which I built with vlookups and charts. When I went back today to open it it starts to open then asks if I would like to enable/disable macros. I have done both enable and disable after I hit the button it closes excel down completely. It only does this with this file? Hi sounds like a corrupted file. You may try using OpenOffice (seems to be able to open such files): www.openoffice.org -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Pat Quinn" <pquinn@biolabinc.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:a34001c4d6fa$16da9b90$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I have a workbo...

Can excel files be opened in fixed screen size preset by user?
Can excel files be opened in fixed screen size preset by user? Can the window size be set by the user. So that the next time excel opens it would open to the custom settings set by the user. The custom settings can be changed by the user? Excel remembers the last window size it used so if Excel is closed down with the window on screen being eg 5cm x 10cm, it will open the next time at the same size. -- Ian -- "vabraham" <vabraham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F0ED136-FC3E-45C7-9966-D2304820FB09@microsoft.com... > Can excel files be opened in fixe...

can you use a publisher made invoice in money 2005
Don't know much about Money 2005, I'm still using Money 97. Doesn't Money make its own forms? All you ever wanted to know about Money 2005 http://support.microsoft.com/ph/870 Money has its own newsgroup. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Lost" <Lost@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CD7B5A4-4697-410C-A7B5-543ECA28CD4E@microsoft.com... > If you are asking if you can open a Publisher invoice in Money, no. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Lost"...

All Global Catalog Servers in use are not responding
We are in the process of migrating from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. We have one Exchange 5.5 server and two Exchange 2003 server in one organization. Exchange 5.5 in an NT 4 domain and Ex 2003's are in a Windows 2003 domain. There are mail boxes on both Exchange 2003 servers. If we shutdown the Exchange 2003 server which was intalled first the other Exchange stops working. It generates even "Process MAD.EXE (PID=2856). All Global Catalog Servers in use are not responding:" Why does it do it. How can we configure the servers so that if one server is down other c...

Using powerpoint slide master
I want to create some invitations using the same background as my slide presentation. I am using slide master fireball in powerpoint. I cannot copy this master or find it to create it in publisher. Can anyone help? Just guessing cause I don't create with PowerPoint much... Maybe have the background open and full screen in PowerPoint. Hit the "print screen" button. Paste into your favorite graphics program for saving and using in Pub, or paste directly into Publisher? Low-tech solutions! But I may be wrong :) Steve in NC Lainey wrote: > I want to create some invitat...

Opening publisher 03 files in publisher 00
I have been emailed four documents that have been composed in publisher version 2003 but my computer will not open them as I only have publisher version 2000 - is there anyway that I can get these files to open on my computer??? Please help!!!!! KK wrote: > I have been emailed four documents that have been composed in > publisher version 2003 but my computer will not open them as I only > have publisher version 2000 - is there anyway that I can get these > files to open on my computer??? Please help!!!!! ======================================== Ask the sender to save the files ...

opening an excel form using an access button #2
thanks for the suggestion. thats what i'm doing now. is there any wa to integrate access and excel so that I can install all together o different machines -- -Brian-H ----------------------------------------------------------------------- -Brian-H-'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=566 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26446 I don't understand the question. What do you mean "install"? The Office applications? Or YOUR applications? **** Hope it helps! **** ~Dreamboat Excel VBA Certification ...

Opens in Black & White
I received a publisher file in an e-mail and when I open it, it opens in black and white and it should open in color. Is there a setting that I should change, or do you have any clue why it opens in black and white? I am using Publisher 2003 Thanks! Amber :) Are you sure it was a color file to start with? I know, sounds like a dumb question but you need to rule out the obious things first. -- JoAnn Two things are aesthetically perfect in the world - the clock and the cat. --Emile-August Chartier "Amber" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Preference for opening new documents
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Is there a preference to prevent a new Word or Excel blank document opening every time I bring up Word (or Excel) from the dock? <br><br>In Office 2004 I kept Word/Excel open but parked in the dock. When I clicked on them, the menu bar for the application opened across the top of the screen but not a new blank document. 90% of my work is modifying existing files so it is tedious to keep having to close the blank documents. <br><br>I have searched preferences but cannot find a way to p...

help with the syntax for using range name in a formula?
I have --------=3D+AVERAGE(SMALL(B7:B19,{1,2,3}))-------------. I want to replace B7:B19 with =93Myrange=94 but I can=92t seem to get the syntax right. excel says error in formula. Thks in advance for any help BRC Hi =AVERAGE(SMALL(Myrange,{1,2,3})) have you created Myrange? have you spelt it correctly? -- Regards Roger Govier "BRC" <brc1051-googrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:d0e09817-22dc-4c36-b60d-67a397067441@h9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... > I have --------=+AVERAGE(SMALL(B7:B19,{1,2,3}))-------------. I want > to replace B7:B19 with �Myra...

Does not open anymore
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Intel I was updating my Word the other day and it quit unexpectedly, and now when I click on the icon it shows a &quot;?&quot; and all of my previous Word documents open with Text now...I tried to update it again and it can't find anything to update. I need Word for school, please help! We'll have to work through a process here to find out what is actually wrong. The first thing to do is to go to /Applications/Microsoft Office 2004 and make sure "Microsoft Word.app" is still in there. If i...

NewRow fails when using XML document as Dataset
Hi All, I am using following code snippet to add another user in Users.xml: ------------------------------------------------------------------- DataSet dstUsers = new DataSet(); dstUsers.ReadXml("Users.xml"); DataTable dtbUsers = dstUsers.Tables["User"]; DataRow drwUser = dtbUsers.NewRow(); drwUser["UserName"] = "Test User 2"; dtbUsers.Rows.Add(drwUser); dstUsers.WriteXml("Users.xml"); ------------------------------------------------------------------- Users.xml looks like ----------------------------------------------------------------...

open excel 2007 refresh query from batch file
Hello all, I have a simple script saved as "C:\refresh_excel.vbs" that opens an Excel file, and does a refresh for a query on Sheet 1. I created a scheduled task to run this every day. It worked fine for previous versions of Excel, but since I have upgraded to Excel 2007 it doesn't work. Any help it helping me figure this out would be appreciated. /*contents of refresh_excel.vbs*/ Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application") objExcel.Visible = True Set objWorkBook = objExcel.Workbooks.Open("C:\reports\UPS.xls") objWorkbook.Sheets("...

excel open files very slow
The problem i'm having happens usually when stop using excell for about 5 minutes or so i still have the application open but when come back to finish what i was working on it just take forever to close, by the same token now i need to open another file it take forever to open. some time to resolve the problem i have to reboot the machine. by the way the files i always open are on the server. can some body help on this issue. thanks Henry ...

once i open a message in outlook it dissapears from inbox
When i recieve email if i open the message then go to another folder like sent items when i go back to my inbox the opened message dissapears if i do a search for it it shows it in the in box but dissapears again when i leave inbox Thanks MARVIN wrote: || When i recieve email if i open the message then go to another folder || like sent items when i go back to my inbox the opened message || dissapears if i do a search for it it shows it in the in box but || dissapears again when i leave inbox || Thanks Check your View settings. View-Current View -- Gordon Burgess-Parker Interim Systems ...

hyperlinks to emails open multiple windows
a new problem on my computer. whenever i click on a hyperlink of an email address, 64 new page windows pop up and then a warning message that states, cannot perform task because default email is not installed properly. so i downloaded the updates from microsoft and it still happens. it only happens with email hyperlinks. hyperlinks to other pages are fine. .. ...

Use the same cell from many worksheets to create a chart?
I have a new worksheet for each day, labeled with the date. I want to pull data from the same cell (like "P-3") in each worksheet and put it into a chart. Example: On ten worksheets, pull the data from cell P-3 (arbitrarily called "income"). Then, put that P-3 data into a chart that tracks daily income: the date itself (taken from the worksheet name) plus the data. Any idea how to do this? You need to create a summary region on a worksheet, and use this as the data source for your chart. See this page for more details: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/Char...

Dowloading and cant open
i downloaded something and took me to powerpoint. how do i open it after i downloaded? If you're asking how to *view* a PowerPoint file... (The file extension would be .ppt) And if you do not have PowerPoint.... There's a free viewer you can download at the following link. PowerPoint2003 Viewer http://tinyurl.com/nmze Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows 98 Second Edition, Windows ME, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP This download works with presentations created in the following Office programs: Microsoft Office PowerPoint 2003 Microsoft Power...