Open Relay #3

How do you shut off open relay?  This is for exchange server 5.5.  I found
this article.

http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/exchange55-antirelay.html

Sounds good but I'm not sure what ServicePack this exchange server is at?
How can you tell what ServicePack exchange is at?  I'm afraid this cleint
has something older than SP 4.

Thanks,

BiG

To determine the SP, you can check the properties>version of
c:\exchsrvr\bin\mad.exe or admin.exe or just about any file in that
directory. If they haven't upgraded to SP4 you can download it here (NOTE:
You only need to download the relevant pieces) :
http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads/55/sp4.asp

As to that web site - unless you have a specific reason to add IPs such as
Unix boxes or some such which can't authenticate, I would leave this area
blank - authentication is the key. Be sure to restart the IMS after making
changes.
--
hth,
SusanV

"BigDog" <bigdogg33_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How do you shut off open relay?  This is for exchange server 5.5.  I found
> this article.
>
> http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/exchange55-antirelay.html
>
> Sounds good but I'm not sure what ServicePack this exchange server is at?
> How can you tell what ServicePack exchange is at?  I'm afraid this cleint
> has something older than SP 4.
>
> Thanks,
>
> BiG

0
svanallen (210)
2/4/2004 2:38:13 PM
Thanks!!  Susan!!

"Susan VanAllen [MVP]" <svanallen@nospam-mvps.org> wrote in message
> To determine the SP, you can check the properties>version of
> c:\exchsrvr\bin\mad.exe or admin.exe or just about any file in that
> directory. If they haven't upgraded to SP4 you can download it here (NOTE:
> You only need to download the relevant pieces) :
> http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/downloads/55/sp4.asp
>
> As to that web site - unless you have a specific reason to add IPs such as
> Unix boxes or some such which can't authenticate, I would leave this area
> blank - authentication is the key. Be sure to restart the IMS after making
> changes.
> --
> hth,
> SusanV
>

> "BigDog" <bigdogg33_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > How do you shut off open relay?  This is for exchange server 5.5.  I
found
> > this article.
> >
> > http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/exchange55-antirelay.html
> >
> > Sounds good but I'm not sure what ServicePack this exchange server is
at?
> > How can you tell what ServicePack exchange is at?  I'm afraid this
cleint
> > has something older than SP 4.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > BiG

In Exchange 5.5, open Exchange admin and go to the properties of your
server(Site name > Configuration > Servers).
  NOTE: Using HELP > About is not the best way as it can be wrong...

To close open relay, open the Internet Mail Service properties and go to the
ROUTING TAB.

Select the REROUTE option and ensure that your email domain is listed as
INBOUND.

Select the ROUTING RESTRICTION button and select the options:
  1) If you have POP3 users, select HOST and Clients that successfully
Authenticate.
 2) Select Host and Clients with the following IP addresses and put no IP
addresses in there.

NOTE: You can select both options.  There are several articles that discuss
relay: http://support.microsoft.com

315687 XCON: How to Prevent Mail Relay in Exchange Server 5.5 SP1 or Later
196626 XFOR: Restricting Routing in the Internet Mail Service
199656 XIMS: How to Stop Spam Mail Messages from Using IMS Relay Agent
279860 XFOR: How to Stop Internet Mail Service from Relaying Junk E-mail
324059 XFOR: How to Help Secure the Internet Mail Service and Clean Up
After...

Doug Blanchard [MSFT]
Microsoft PSS

purposes only.  This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights.
"BigDog" <bigdogg33_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> How do you shut off open relay?  This is for exchange server 5.5.  I found
> this article.
>
> http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/exchange55-antirelay.html
>
> Sounds good but I'm not sure what ServicePack this exchange server is at?
> How can you tell what ServicePack exchange is at?  I'm afraid this cleint
> has something older than SP 4.
>
> Thanks,
>
> BiG

0
dblanch (58)
2/12/2004 2:39:29 PM
What you recommend is exactly how my boxes were configured. However, I am
leaning towards turning your option 1 off, and using option two only (after
adding valid address ranges, of course). I am fairly certain that some
hacker/spammer was somehow able to successfully authenticate and opened
relays on my two boxes..

Lou Jackson

"Doug Blanchard [MSFT]" <dblanch@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Exchange 5.5, open Exchange admin and go to the properties of your
> server(Site name > Configuration > Servers).
>   NOTE: Using HELP > About is not the best way as it can be wrong...
>
> To close open relay, open the Internet Mail Service properties and go to
the
> ROUTING TAB.
>
> Select the REROUTE option and ensure that your email domain is listed as
> INBOUND.
>
> Select the ROUTING RESTRICTION button and select the options:
>   1) If you have POP3 users, select HOST and Clients that successfully
> Authenticate.
>  2) Select Host and Clients with the following IP addresses and put no IP
> addresses in there.
>
> NOTE: You can select both options.  There are several articles that
discuss
> relay: http://support.microsoft.com
>
> 315687 XCON: How to Prevent Mail Relay in Exchange Server 5.5 SP1 or Later
> 196626 XFOR: Restricting Routing in the Internet Mail Service
> 199656 XIMS: How to Stop Spam Mail Messages from Using IMS Relay Agent
> 279860 XFOR: How to Stop Internet Mail Service from Relaying Junk E-mail
> 324059 XFOR: How to Help Secure the Internet Mail Service and Clean Up
> After...
>
> Doug Blanchard [MSFT]
> Microsoft PSS
>
> Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for
newsgroup
> purposes only.  This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights.
> "BigDog" <bigdogg33_2000@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > How do you shut off open relay?  This is for exchange server 5.5.  I
found
> > this article.
> >
> > http://www.unixwiz.net/techtips/exchange55-antirelay.html
> >
> > Sounds good but I'm not sure what ServicePack this exchange server is
at?
> > How can you tell what ServicePack exchange is at?  I'm afraid this
cleint
> > has something older than SP 4.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > BiG

0
mis1 (2)

Publisher 2000

Outlook Calander #3
Does anybody know if there is a way to have Outlooks calendar display the month with "full squares" for Sat and Sun just like other days of the week in the month display mode. I have a lot going on the weekends. Having Sat/Sun as one "square" makes it difficult to read. I cannot see any way to do this from the buttons menu. I am using Office Outlook 2003. Thanks in advance right click on the calendar and choose other settings - untick the compress weekend days option. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNo...

opening links in outlook

Problem trying to open old money file

Public Folders #3
Hi there- We've just implemented Microsoft Outlook as our new e- mail client, and I've been working a bit with Public Folders. I posted several messages with attachments last week, and they were accessible for about a week, then mysteriously disappeared. Is there a time limit or usage limit determining how long a posted message stays available? Thanks for any responses! ...

Email with tiny attachments open slow

Need an open house sign in sheet

opening links

cannot open excel file from outlook

Error while import BCM Database into CRM 3.0
I am trying to import BCM Database into CRM 3.0 When I run " Data Migration for Microsoft Outlook Business Contact Manager" wizard I get an unexpected error. Can someone help ? thanks Here is the Log: 8/21/2007 5:15:38 PM------>Transitioning to next screen. From: Welcome screen. To: PreconditionCheck screen. 8/21/2007 5:15:38 PM------>Connecting to Microsoft CRM Shamir_Systems_MSCRM 8/21/2007 5:15:39 PM------>Checking that Microsoft CRM Data Migration Pack is installed: Success 8/21/2007 5:15:39 PM------>Establishing connection to CDF database: Success 8/21/2007 5:1...

EXCEL Files open Slow

Opening a second mdb file from an open mdb file
I have two mdb files (one used for general department use and the other for detailed reporting). For ease of maintenance, I'd like to keep these mdb files separate, but I would like to have the ability to open the second mdb file from the general dept Access program. Is there an exisitng macro or VBA code I could use to accomplish this task? Thanks for your help. Sure, you can easily just shell out to another app: http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm or even create a hyperlink that opens the file. Just create a label, go to the property sheet and enter a path in the hype...

Directory Open
Hi, I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, not to open a file but to open a directory. How should I do it? I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for opening just a directory and not a file. I just want to read in the user selection of directory and the file name will be set in my application. Thanks! On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 22:15:36 -0800, Dave wrote: > I would like to create a Button which opens a dialog box, > not to open a file but to open a directory. > > How should I do it? > I thought of using CFileDialog but it does not allow for ...

Excel won't open in Office XP
Hi all, I have had a problem for the last few weeks opening up my Excel files When I try to open the files, a Window Installer dialouge box appear looking for the Office XP Professional Disk. My Office was preinstalle by my school, which is now complete. If I cancel the Window Installer consectutive times it leaves my new Excel document open and I can work Does anyone know what I need to configure to have Excel open up normall again ? Appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks, 'Kusty' (kusty@accesscomm.ca -- kust --------------------------------------------------------------------...

I do not have Excel on my computer. How do I open an attachment w.
How do I open an attachment in my e- mail with an XLS file, if I do not have Excel installed on my computer? My model is Windows XP Home. You can use the free viewer available from microsoft web site that only allows viewing. Or, you can find a copy of open office/star office that allows you to import excel files. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Kathy" <Kathy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF00A029-F488-4D1D-8257-B55F4E96A681@microsoft.com... > How do I open an attachment in my e- mail with an XLS file, if I do not have > Excel ins...

Upgrade path from Business Portal 2.0 to Business Portal 3.0
I am planning to upgrade next year form Great Plains 7.5 to Great Plains 9.0. I currently have Business Portal 2.0 installed. I need to be able to upgrade both Great Plains and Business Portal at the same time. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http:/...

resources are showing overallocated whether they are 3 hours assig
when i open project in project professional 2007 and open the resource usage view. then some resources are showing red . as an overallocated. although they are assign only 3 hours in one day. i dont know why kindly tell me the problem Hi Sam, if you zoom in in resource usage, I think you will find your 3 hours within 2 hours or something similar (e.g. 3 hours from 8am-10am). So your overallocation is on an hourly basis. Regards Barbara Am 29.03.2010 13:00, schrieb Sam: > when i open project in project professional 2007 and open the resource usage > view. then so...

Open File IF Not Opened
Goodmorning! I was looking for someone who could tell me how I could make a Macro Appliction open files only when there not opened. When a file is allready opened it should be left at alone. When a file is being opened, this file should be granted the opportunity to update it's pivot tables and carry out any external links. I hope someone has the answer! Thanks in advance! Here's some code that might help. It tests whether a file is open: if it is it activates it, otherwise it opens the file. If IsWindowOpen(lStr_FileName) Then Windows(lStr_FileName).Activate ...

i have a pps file that i cant open what do i need to open it with
i recieved a few pitures and cant open then because they are a pps file what do i need to open them with???? Certainly not Excel. Those are PowerPoint files. You can download a PP viewer from here. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=428D5727-43AB-4F24-90B7-A94784AF71A4&displaylang=en Note instructions for download and installation. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:44:02 -0700, Marty <Marty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i recieved a few pitures and cant open then because they are a pps file what >do i need to open them with??...