Online Defrag #5

I have Exchange 2000 with SP3 and Post-SP3.

The online defrag on one of Information Store (44GB) keeps on stopping and 
terminating. I setup it up to start at 3:00AM for 6 hours but still doing 
stopping and resuming. I setup the time in the Database properties Management 
Interval. Is this where it's suppose to be set?  Is there a setup where the 
online defrag will start from the beginning and not just resuming from the 
previous online defrag that was stopped and terminated? I have not run the 
Offline defrag for almost 15 months and the last resumed online defrag showed 
only 400MB. I have a LAB Exchange with the databases restored from the 
priduction and the online defrag indicated 4.45GB of free space. 

Thank you.

Joe


-- 
JoeCL
LACO-CAO
0
JoeCL (74)
4/29/2005 6:18:06 PM
exchange.admin 57650 articles. 1 followers. Follow

3 Replies
342 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 2

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:18:06 -0700, "JoeCL"
<JoeCL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have Exchange 2000 with SP3 and Post-SP3.
>
>The online defrag on one of Information Store (44GB) keeps on stopping and 
>terminating. I setup it up to start at 3:00AM for 6 hours but still doing 
>stopping and resuming. I setup the time in the Database properties Management 
>Interval. Is this where it's suppose to be set?  Is there a setup where the 
>online defrag will start from the beginning and not just resuming from the 
>previous online defrag that was stopped and terminated? I have not run the 
>Offline defrag for almost 15 months and the last resumed online defrag showed 
>only 400MB. I have a LAB Exchange with the databases restored from the 
>priduction and the online defrag indicated 4.45GB of free space. 
>
>Thank you.
>
>Joe

Does your backup kick in at a time coinciding with the defrag
terminating? That will stop the process and run the backup. If the
backup finishes on or around the maint window you'll find that the
defrag doesn't finish properly.
0
mark7219 (5666)
4/29/2005 6:32:36 PM
No, I rescheduled my backup jobs to finish before 2:00 AM. I reset the online 
defrag to start at 3:00PM. So it used to conflict with the backup so it's 
stopping. From then on it keeps on stopping and resuming in cycles even after 
I reset the time of online defrag to 3:00AM.  I really need to start the 
online defrag without resuming. Thanks.

-- 
JoeCL
LACO-CAO


"Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:18:06 -0700, "JoeCL"
> <JoeCL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> 
> >I have Exchange 2000 with SP3 and Post-SP3.
> >
> >The online defrag on one of Information Store (44GB) keeps on stopping and 
> >terminating. I setup it up to start at 3:00AM for 6 hours but still doing 
> >stopping and resuming. I setup the time in the Database properties Management 
> >Interval. Is this where it's suppose to be set?  Is there a setup where the 
> >online defrag will start from the beginning and not just resuming from the 
> >previous online defrag that was stopped and terminated? I have not run the 
> >Offline defrag for almost 15 months and the last resumed online defrag showed 
> >only 400MB. I have a LAB Exchange with the databases restored from the 
> >priduction and the online defrag indicated 4.45GB of free space. 
> >
> >Thank you.
> >
> >Joe
> 
> Does your backup kick in at a time coinciding with the defrag
> terminating? That will stop the process and run the backup. If the
> backup finishes on or around the maint window you'll find that the
> defrag doesn't finish properly.
> 
0
JoeCL (74)
4/29/2005 7:12:02 PM
Functionally it makes no difference wether it runs uninterrupted from first task
till last, or  it will interrupt and resume. Any problem with that?

JoeCL wrote:

> No, I rescheduled my backup jobs to finish before 2:00 AM. I reset the online
> defrag to start at 3:00PM. So it used to conflict with the backup so it's
> stopping. From then on it keeps on stopping and resuming in cycles even after
> I reset the time of online defrag to 3:00AM.  I really need to start the
> online defrag without resuming. Thanks.
>
> --
> JoeCL
> LACO-CAO
>
> "Mark Arnold [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:18:06 -0700, "JoeCL"
> > <JoeCL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I have Exchange 2000 with SP3 and Post-SP3.
> > >
> > >The online defrag on one of Information Store (44GB) keeps on stopping and
> > >terminating. I setup it up to start at 3:00AM for 6 hours but still doing
> > >stopping and resuming. I setup the time in the Database properties Management
> > >Interval. Is this where it's suppose to be set?  Is there a setup where the
> > >online defrag will start from the beginning and not just resuming from the
> > >previous online defrag that was stopped and terminated? I have not run the
> > >Offline defrag for almost 15 months and the last resumed online defrag showed
> > >only 400MB. I have a LAB Exchange with the databases restored from the
> > >priduction and the online defrag indicated 4.45GB of free space.
> > >
> > >Thank you.
> > >
> > >Joe
> >
> > Does your backup kick in at a time coinciding with the defrag
> > terminating? That will stop the process and run the backup. If the
> > backup finishes on or around the maint window you'll find that the
> > defrag doesn't finish properly.
> >

0
kpalagin (1838)
5/4/2005 10:32:17 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Unable to update Office for Mac 11.5.3 to either 11.5.4 or 11.5.5
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel 11.5.5 Update stops responding at "Items Remaining to Be Installed: 349". I have both 2008 and 2004 on this system (primarily for Excel 2004). OS is 10.5.7 on an iMac with 4 GB RAM, 1 TB hard drive (about 83% full), and a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Nothing else is running during the attempted updates. 11.5.4 Update stops responding at "Items Remaining to Be Installed: 3". Haven't tried a reinstall yet. ...

Help with online services in money Plus
Ok I have two problems. 1. I have two accounts setup to use MSN Bill Pay and I want to add a new account to this service and I don't remember how to do this and have searched all over and can't find the anwser. I have added the account online in bill pay and confirmed it but can't get the EPAY option in the account in Money Plus 2. How do you modify an account's details once you use it to pay an online bill. I have an account that I need to change the account number and it will not let me. I have another that I can't change the address. Here is what I do: ...

Going to 2003 from 5.5 (Public Folders) problem
We are currently attempting an upgrade to 2003 from 5.5 We used pfmigrate to add replicas on the new dedicated public folder server but started to notice the priv is growing. Not only that but faster then the pub. There are no mailboxes on the server so why would this be happening? Any ideas? Stacey <Stacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We are currently attempting an upgrade to 2003 from 5.5 > >We used pfmigrate to add replicas on the new dedicated public folder server >but started to notice the priv is growing. Not only that but faster then the >pub. Ther...

Online Version
I would like an online version that is very similar to the CD ROM Version. Quicken started offering an online version only recently. This means I could start using Microsoft money from any computer. My computer was broken for a few days and I was not able to use Microsoft money. ...

Text Import Wizard #5
When I try to import large text files, I get the error "Integer is invalid." when I set the "Start import at row value" to any values larger than 32767. Is this the limit for Excel? >>Is this the limit for Excel? It sure is. Goes why back: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;119770 -- Jim "Pieter G" <Pieter G@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F25ED78F-AD2F-4731-9A3D-FBF34BCDA61F@microsoft.com... | When I try to import large text files, I get the error "Integer is invalid." | when I set the "S...

CRM 3.0 Install Not Finding IIS 5.0 or Greater On Server
Hello all, I'm new to the MS CRM 3.0 world and have purchased a 3 server setup to get a test environment up. I've got AD on one server, SQL 2005 STD Ed. + 2005 SRS working on a second server and my 3rd server is the CRM server. All servers are running Windows 2003 Server R2 (x64) with all critical patches. Here is my stopping point. I'm running the install wizard for CRM and it passes all tests but this one critical one: Error| Check IIsInstalledValidator : Failure: Internet Information Services (IIS) version 5 or later is not installed. (This error is from the log file...

Best Work at Home Jobs Online
Online jobs are an effective way of making money online without any investment. By doing online jobs one can earn a decent part time income. Companies all around the world need employees who can do their work, so they hire people and they pay them for the work they do. But there are many problems which company owners face. Like after gaining a little experience, people start to demand more pay or they just go to some other high paying company. Just Visit : http://www.yourforexmoney.com ...

Out Of Office #5
I enable Out of Office reply to the Internet from Internet Message Formats. The return Out of Office e- mail still will not send. Thoughts? Thanks ...

Unable to connect to online quote server
I'm not getting quotes this morning, is anyone else seeing this problem? Same here. Probably too much traffic. <g.m.cox.mail@gmail.com> wrote in message news:2fb8ba8a-9eab-4c3d-91a7-c63317d1e034@e38g2000yqa.googlegroups.com... > I'm not getting quotes this morning, is anyone else seeing this > problem? Having the same problem here. The message I get when checking msn network status is: HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found Also it refers to IIs services problem and that the site does not exist. I can post the whole page is anyone is interested. JC <g.m.cox.mail@gmail....

Defrag/Compact question....
I have an Exchange 2003 server. This is the problem. The database priv.edb is 15.5 GB. Trying to avoid the dreaded 16GB limit. Did a defrag and it says it is 15.1 GB. I added up all of the mailboxes according to system manager and I get 12.2 GB. Where the difference and how do I get it back?! Thanks a million!! Is online maintenance completing? Check your application logs to see if you have an event id 701 saying that online maintenance has completed. Also check for event id 1221 to see how much space is available after completion. -- Nicholas Basile(MSFT) nicbas@online.microsoft.co...

Online reconciling
During the set-up process of money, it asks for which my online bank id and password. I type it in and get an error message to the effect, " check id and password, not able to connect". Can anyone help me? ...

Online Documentation
I would like to know if there is a web site out there where have implemented online documentation on the WEB using VISIO. For example, displaying a diagram (workflow) where you click a shape and you are taken to another diagram or some kind of text document. I am just curious if there is such a thing. Thanks. ...

Online Tool
Greetings I currently have Outlook 2003 and I would like to be able to modify my calendar from school / class / library etc. Is there an Online - Calendar that automatically synchronizes with outlook? Something like Yahoo Calendar ( but i'm not sure if Yahoo Calendar can synch. to outlook ) Thank you -- Emory Carsten You can try Microsoft Office Outlook Live to see if that is what you need.http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/mool.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account w...

Exchange 5.5 Active Directory Connectory
Is there a way to configure the e-mail display name, alias name, and smtp e-mail address that is created with the ADC when a new user account is created. We currently have a 2-way connection setup. when a new user account is created, a new e-mail account is automatically created on the Exchange 5.5 server. This account however does not use our standard display name and alias name convention when created and has to be modified after creation. Is there a way to control this with the connector? ...

moving the mail gateway from 5.5 to Exchange 2003
I struck a problem when attempting to move the mail gateway from my Exchange 5.5 server to my Exchange 2003 one, which hopefully someone can help me with. What I did was create a new SMTP connector on the Exchange 2003 server, then replicated that through to the 5.5 system. Once it showed up there, I deleted the address space on the 5.5 system and replicated that back through to the 2003 system. I then stopped Internet Mail Service on the 5.5 system, hoping that mail would route directly from the 2003 system, but it didn't. Incoming external mail was no problem, but whenever I tried to...

AD not creating Exchange 5.5 mailboxes
I have Exchange 5.5 and Active Directory 2000. We have recently implemented Active Directory. When creating users, I do not get the option of creating a mailbox for that user (which was a simple thing in an NT domain). I have searched this database, gone to Microsoft, and checked out slipstick.com to try to figure this out. What I think I am seeing is that a thing called ADC has to be installed. Am I correct or is there something simple that I am missing? Any help would be very much appreciated. "Sue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have Exchange 5...

Exchange 5.5 OWA #2
We are having problems with some users when they use webmail. When they try to reply or forward to any mail within webmail the window closes. We have tried accessing these accounts with both IE6 and Firefox neither will allow you to reply. There are no obvious differences between the exchange accounts to explain why this is happening. The setup includes a frontend webmail box and 4 backend servers. Any ideas on how to resolve this issue would be appreciated. "clairestones" <claire.stones@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1138124694.765425.28330@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.c...

Erros when installing Business Portal 2.5
Hello all, I am getting some error's when installing BP 2.5. Additionally when it finishes the installation, I cannot access the site I get a 404. I experienced the 404 error on BP 2.0 when I had database problems. Here are the errors in the installation logs for BP 2.5: /* TimeStamp: 5/26/2005 2:25:46 PM Database: "n/a" Actor: "SQL.VBS_LoadSQLComponent()" */ ERROR: Path (D:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions\Business Portal\Utilities\SQL\Upgrade\2.0.859.0\System\GP_COMMON\) did not exist. ~~The above statement executed successfully. /* TimeS...

Where can I find online appointment scheduling template?
Hello everyone. I'm looking for a template for publisher 2003 that allows a client to setup a date and time for a hair appointment online. For example; The client goes to the webpage and keys in the following: 1. Name 2. Date 3. Time 4. Hair style they desire. 5. Then either an email is sent to the shop or there is an online database that allow the hair stylist to login and see who's scheduled to see them for the next week, 2 weeks month etc. Thanks to all that comment, ...

Autocomplete #5
I want delete the names in the autocomplete file and start over given a number of the the email addresses in it are old and no longer valid. How can I do this? Post your Outlook version. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Kevin <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | I want delete the names in the autocomplete file and | start over given a number of the the email addresses in | it are old and no longer valid. How can I do this? Remove individual address...

Help:owc11-spreadsheet in IE online open a big xml file,use cpu 100%?
spreadsheet.XMLURL="....ABC.XML"; IE would be USE FULL CPU . if the same xml file use excel to open ,that be ok! why ? the xml file about 600K----2M XP �: > spreadsheet.XMLURL="....ABC.XML"; IE would be USE FULL CPU . > if the same xml file use excel to open ,that be ok! > why ? the xml file about 600K----2M THE PROBLEM had been Solved�� uninstall the "web download tool",or forbit the "init load dll" OF IE. XP �: > spreadsheet.XMLURL="....ABC.XML"; IE would be USE FULL CPU . > if the same xml file use excel to open ,that ...

Online Maintenance and Online Defrag Not Occuring
Hi there, Well I've been working the past few days on trying to figure out why I haven't seen any online defrag occur overnight during my maintenance window. They going through the event logs found that none of the online maintenance tasks have been occuring. I've searched high and low for any setting that would disable the maintenace but I'm running out of options. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jason Almost forgot this is exchange 5.5 "Jason Lennan" wrote: > Hi there, > > Well I've been working the past few days on trying to figure...

Exchange 5.5 Public Folder Error
When I try to access certain public folders in my site I get the following error: The contents of this public folder are currently unavailable. Either the MS Exchange computer servicing this public folder is down or the public folder has not been replicated to this site. See your administrator. Microsoft Exchange Server Information Store ID no: 80004005-0507-00000000 I search in Microsoft Knowledgebase and the only information I can find is deals with Organizational forms and first server of the site. Neither one of those topic fit the situation. We’ve haven’t reassigns the first serv...

Outlook, online or connected
Hi, In Outlook 2k3, the stauts bar used to write "Connected: All folders are up todate" but today, it is writing "Online". Why and what is the difference? Thanks Yba In news:149EBE7A-2DE0-4EAF-B78E-D51A4ADDCA11@microsoft.com, yba02 <yba02@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi, > In Outlook 2k3, the stauts bar used to write "Connected: All folders > are up todate" but today, it is writing "Online". > Why and what is the difference? > Thanks > Yba If you don't have Cached Mode enabled, you'll see that. On Sun, 3 Sep ...

Exch 2003 with Exch 5.5 internet mail gateway
I have a new exchange server 2003, with an exchange server 5.5 running the internet mail gateway. Users with mailboxes on the new exchange 2003 server get mail from the internet up to several hours after it comes in. Is there a way to speed this up? I'm sure that there is because that kind of delay is not normal. But I cannot suggest how you might do that based on the limited information you have posted. I suggest you start by examining the headers of a delayed received message and see if you can determine which hop is delayed. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the w...