One IP-address - multiple domains and Reverse lookup

Our exchange 2003-server hosts two domains A.com and B.com.
So, the mx-record for BOTH domains point to the same host (mailhost.A.com)
and resolves the corresponding IP-addres.
The PTR-record for this IP-address obviously points back to the host
mailhost.A.com.
All seems to work fine for both domains for the moment, but will this not
present a problem in the future for mail from the B.com domain when more and
more receiving hosts do reverse lookup ?  Or is reverse lookup just
verifying the FQDN in the mail-header, and not the senders domain ?
Regards
Rudy Steyaert

It is verifying the FQDN of the SMTP server.  Doesn't matter what the email
sender is.

Thanks,
Chad

"Rudy Steyaert" wrote:

> Our exchange 2003-server hosts two domains A.com and B.com.
> So, the mx-record for BOTH domains point to the same host (mailhost.A.com)
> and resolves the corresponding IP-addres.
> The PTR-record for this IP-address obviously points back to the host
> mailhost.A.com.
> All seems to work fine for both domains for the moment, but will this not
> present a problem in the future for mail from the B.com domain when more and
> more receiving hosts do reverse lookup ?  Or is reverse lookup just
> verifying the FQDN in the mail-header, and not the senders domain ?
> Regards
> Rudy Steyaert

0
ChadP (65)
11/29/2004 8:31:05 PM
"Rudy Steyaert" <Rudy_Steyaert@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Our exchange 2003-server hosts two domains A.com and B.com.
>So, the mx-record for BOTH domains point to the same host (mailhost.A.com)
>and resolves the corresponding IP-addres.
>The PTR-record for this IP-address obviously points back to the host
>mailhost.A.com.
>All seems to work fine for both domains for the moment, but will this not
>present a problem in the future for mail from the B.com domain when more and
>more receiving hosts do reverse lookup ?  Or is reverse lookup just
>verifying the FQDN in the mail-header, and not the senders domain ?

This won't be a problem for *normal* servers. But there are some "over
the top" admins that insist that not only must there be a PTR record
but that the domain name portion of the answer to the DNS query must
match the domain name used in the HELO/EHLO command (which is also an
optional piece of information).

So, the answer is "it depends".

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

> "Rudy Steyaert" <Rudy_Steyaert@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Our exchange 2003-server hosts two domains A.com and B.com.
>>So, the mx-record for BOTH domains point to the same host (mailhost.A.com)
>>and resolves the corresponding IP-addres.
>>The PTR-record for this IP-address obviously points back to the host
>>mailhost.A.com.
>>All seems to work fine for both domains for the moment, but will this not
>>present a problem in the future for mail from the B.com domain when more
>>and
>>more receiving hosts do reverse lookup ?  Or is reverse lookup just
>>verifying the FQDN in the mail-header, and not the senders domain ?
>
> This won't be a problem for *normal* servers. But there are some "over
> the top" admins that insist that not only must there be a PTR record
> but that the domain name portion of the answer to the DNS query must
> match the domain name used in the HELO/EHLO command (which is also an
> optional piece of information).
>
> So, the answer is "it depends".
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

"Rudy Steyaert" <Rudy_Steyaert@hotmail.com> wrote:

>What is exchange 2003 using in the HELO/EHLO command as domain name ?  Is
>this not the domain-name part of the FQDN ?

It's using whatever is in the fqdn edit box on the SMTP virtual
server's property page (click the "Advanced" button on the "Delivery"
tab to see it).

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

can excel check one column against another
Hi. I have a spreadsheet with columns such as A, B, C, D, filled with numbers. Each row across such as row 1, then row 2, then row 3, etc of numbers is totaled in column E. Countless rows, each of which is totaled per row and then ends with a grand total at bottom of column E. Next comes columns F, G, H, also filled with numbers (but different numbers), which is totaled per row in Column I. At the bottom of Column I is a grand total. Even though arrived at using different sets of numbers, -both grand totals - in columns E and I must match. Sometimes they don't match. Ouch. So here is m...

why crash in the second method of one interface
Hi, Using one class generated from *.tlb to call 2 methods of one COM. The strange thing is that I got one error of the "First-chance exception in : 0xC0000005: Access Violation" in the second method. I also use ASP web page to call both methods of this COM and both methods seems is OK. ITemplateManage mytemplate; if (!mytemplate.CreateDispatch("comobj.TemplateManage")) { IDE_Error::Report (ComError|1,"ComObj.TemplateManage in FUN_Template::Add()"); return false; } result = mytemplate.Check (templatefilename); decodeparameter=mytemplate.GetInfo (templ...

MSR Credit Card Reader adds all the information on one line
Is there a way to get the CC reader to properly seperate the the acct # from the expiration date? When I swipe I currently get everything on the acct # line. Thanks in advance! What type of CC reader(MSR) to you have? Typically this is an issue with simply configuring the MSR. Rob "Steakum" wrote: > Is there a way to get the CC reader to properly seperate the the acct # from > the expiration date? When I swipe I currently get everything on the acct # > line. > > Thanks in advance! Its a IDTECH Minimag USB/Keyboard Interface Do I need to select the Wedge Key...

Duplicate Transactions, One When Pending, One When Posted
I'm sure this has been addressed, but I couldn't seem to find an answer searching: My problem is, a transaction occurs at my bank, and MM2K7 downloads the data for it. Once that transaction moves from "Pending" to "Posted" at my bank, the transaction data changes, so MM downloads it again. Sometimes I get a possible duplicate message from MM, sometimes I don't. What are people doing to handle this situation? Thank you. This is a problem with your bank, not with Money. Eventually they should fix it. Call them. In the meantime VOID the pending transacti...

How to make ALL headings "name (email address)" format
Hello, We would like to have ALL e-mail printouts in our company, by ALL people, list ALL recipients (From, To, CC) in the format "Firstname Lastname (email-address)" [if enough info is available]. We have people using Outlook 2000, 2003 and 2007. They get upset when there is a printed copy of an e-mail and it just says "John Smith", with no e-mail address. This is apparently the default of Outlook, or at least our Outlooks. With my meagre intelligence, I have never been able to correct this. Does anybody know how to change this? We never, ever, ever, ever, ever, eve...

Sorting addresses
Is there a way to sort a column of addresses (ex. 123 Main St) just by the street name? If not, is there a way to get rid of all numbers in a cell, and just leave the street name? Thanks from a Newbie! -- amab19 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ amab19's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29730 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494421 If you have a column containing data with a number (arbitrary # of digits) followed by a blank followed by the street name, then select the c...

address book view
doese anyone know how i can restrict the view of the global address list from each client?? cheers Hello Jar I am not sure if this is what you are seeking; let us know. 318635 XADM: How to Manage Address Lists When You Host Virtual Organizations - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=318635 Support WebCast: Introduction to Hosting Exchange 2000 Enterprise Server - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325258 Hope this helps. -- Ted Cormier Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting i...

grid off on one page
Is it possible to turn the grid off of only one page? thanks On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 10:37:11 -0600, "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote: >Is it possible to turn the grid off of only one page? Not really as it is a document wide setting.... however, there is workaround open the page shapesheet menu window -> Show shapesheet and set XGridSpacing and YGridSpacing to a large value. -- Regards, Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. SSADM for Visio http://www.saadm.sandrila.co.uk/ On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 16:47:53 +0000, Paul Herber <SubstituteMyFirstNameHere@pherber.com> wro...

Global Address list updates
I recently unchecked "hide from exchange address lists" (ADUC,Exchange Advanced tab) box on a user. I can't get him to show up in my global address list. If I go into the Exchange system manager and drill down into Recipients, All global address lists, and the view the properties of the default global address list, the preview button shows me a list including the guy that I am after. What controls when updates are pushed out to Outlook 2003 clients? How can I force an update? Thanks, Steve You're likely dealing with Outlook 2003 running in cached mode. If so, i...

Changing IP address
We just changed ISP's and changed the IP address on the server. How no one can get to there e-mail, WHY? The server now has a 192 address and before has an external address. Care to provide more details, like type and version of client and server used, error messages (if any), name resolution setup etc? Bob wrote: > We just changed ISP's and changed the IP address on the server. How no one can get to there e-mail, WHY? The server now has a 192 address and before has an external address. -- Help fight spam - designate sending servers for your domain. http://spf.pobox.com The s...

One to One relationship
I have an Events entity that is an offshoot from the Contacts entity. Basically, it tracks what events each contact has been invited to, and is used mainly by the Events Coordinator. I've set it up as a One (Contact) to Many (Events) relationship. However, I really only want one event form for each contact form. The reason I've set up a different entity rather than just adding a tab is that access to this entity needs to be tightly controlled. Obviously, if many events forms are created for the one contact, it would be very difficult to tell which one is accurate etc. Is it possibl...

Next Date given one date
At this time, I cannot use VBA. Here is my objective: For a given treasury note security: Cell A1, Date 6/17/2004 - today's date Cell A2, Date 7/15/1997 - first coupon date I want to identify the "previous coupon date" and "next coupon date" from today's date based on the frequency of the "first coupon date". Logically speaking: * Security pays 2 times each year * Based on first coupon date, pay dates are: 1/15 & 7/15 * Given today is 6/17/04, the next pay date is 7/15/04. * Given today is 6/17/04, the previous pay date is 1/15/04. Can this be...

outlook express new address
how do I do an automatic respond on outlook express. I have a new email address and want to notifu senders to old address to update them. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsGroup=microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress&SLCID=US&sd=GN&id=fh...

route inbound email from ip to one folder
Is there a way to route any incoming email from a certain IP address to a single folder? Our company is receiving emails from a source that we do not wish to receive, and would like these email to be directed to a singe folder rather than blocking them. Any ideas? Thanks. you could send them to the turf dir... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245465 "daine" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11d501c4263d$f4d05110$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there a way to route any incoming email from a certain > IP address to a single ...

Need to move the ADC to new Win2K3 domain controller
As part of a larger Exchange migration process I need to move/upgrade the ADC from a Windows 2000 domain controller to the new Win2K3 server. We are still in mixed mode (duh!). I am wondering is it as simple as just uninstalling the current ADC and then running the install again from the new server? Every article I am finding only deals with removing the first server in the Org. Anyone have any experience with this? ...

Anyone know if exchange allows/can allow plus addressing
Anyone know if exchange will accept and handle plus addressing correctly? Here's what I am talking about: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_address#Plus_.28or_Minus.29_addressing So if my email is: someone@mycompany.com I should also receive emails sent to: someone+tag@mycompany.com I am not an exchange admin at my company, but currently it doesn't work at my company. Just wondering how to present the idea to the admins if possible. Thanks You can have both '+' and '-' signs in local part of e-mail address - Exchange will deliver message just fine. But tho...

One client (Server 2k8-R2/HyperV) will not sync with DPM
We have been running DPM successfully for about a year now without any major problems. Recently we added a new server - a fairly robust PowerEdge that will be housing 4 HyperV VMs. For whatever reason, I can't get anything but the HyperV "Initial Store" to sync correctly. I thought initially it might be a problem with the HyperV machines, but it also fails to back up a small directory of files on the host drive. The oddest part about this is I really don't get an error. It will try an initial sync and run for a day or two and show very minimal data tr...

Exchange 5.5 - One Organization
Hello - I am having a problem that I would like some more information on. I have One Organization (5.5) and 16 Sites (5.5) and would like to know why I can't stop the other sites from sending mail through me. If I can, I would like to know how. Thanks for any help. what do you mean by "sending mail through me"? What mail? Internet email? Does each site have its own Internet Mail Service? Or is your site kind of the "hub" where all Internet email comes in and goes out? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "dave.mudgett" <davemudgett@discussions.microsoft....

See more than one tab at a time
I would like to be able to see more than one Tab at a time in Excel. Currently I'm able to see two Tabs from different worksheets, but not two or more tabs from the same worksheet On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 14:57:03 -0700, "rocky59" <rocky59@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I would like to be able to see more than one Tab at a time in Excel. >Currently I'm able to see two Tabs from different worksheets, but not two or >more tabs from the same worksheet That would be because each tab represents a single worksheet. Clicking on the tab would move you from where ...

Why Would You Lose Sound On One User
WXP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 3 with all current updates Dell Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80Ghz 2.79Ghz, 512 MB RAM System has three users all with admin rights - User 1(primary - me), User 2 (wife), and System Admin. (which I made visible on desktop). I (User 1) have lost sound when attempting to play CD's, and other audio files using WMP 11, however, I can still hear system sounds. User 2 and System Admin. still have full sound. System restore does not help ( in this case I only had a restore point from 5 days ago. Any thoughts? -- Skeeter "Old age and ...

Combining two fields into one in a query for a report
The database I am working on is to keep track of parts that are either in their storage area (on a shelf) or on an assembly line. I have two fields, one called Shelf and every part has a shelf assigned to it. The other field is Line and if a part in on an assembly line, there is a number indicating that line, if the part is on it's shelf, the word STOCK appears in the line field. (Has to be this way for the rest of the database to work, so this is not up for question) Now, I need to creat a report to show where all parts are. If they are on a line the result needs to show the l...

Tracing and tracking email on one mailbox
1. I want to use a current copy of the Exchange 2003 database and scrub it for all emails regarding one mailbox. Is there a tool that will assist me in this? 2. How do I tell Exchange 2003 to notify me of any emails transmitted to and from a particular address? And yes, this in conjunction with #1. I want to track one user's mail without using delegate or adding myself to their Active Directory profile and having to create another profile in Outlook. 1. Have a read through this: http://wm.quest.com/reg/marketing/landing/ediscoveryexchange/. This product is ideally suited for ...

Extracting CC Email Address Using VBA
Hello, I have the current code that works for extracting various information from the MailItem Object: If itm.Class = olMail Then Set msg = itm objWks.Cells(i + 1, 1) = msg.Subject objWks.Cells(i + 1, 2) = msg.ReceivedTime objWks.Cells(i + 1, 3) = msg.SenderName objWks.Cells(i + 1, 4) = msg.SenderEmailAddress objWks.Cells(i + 1, 5) = msg.Body objWks.Cells(i + 1, 21) = msg.CC objWks.Cells(i + 1, 22) = msg.To It is dumpting the data into a...

transferring money from one computer to another
Folks, I just got this laptop which I really like, but unfortunately, I can't figure out how to get my MS Money program (not the files-- that's a no-brainer) to my new computer. I downloaded the program and did not get the CD for it. Is there a way to do it? Both of these computers are mine, so I should be able to, but I can't figure it out. Thanks! Govind... There are almost no apps that can be moved from one machine to another these day. Almost all require having the installation routines. This is why I always recommend against "download" installations. &qu...