On the way to 2003

I'm about to install a new Exchange 2003 server.  My current Exchange 5.5
server still sits in our nearly-abandoned NT4 domain.

Users are already logging on to the 2003 domain while their mailboxes remain
in Exchange 5.5. This is just how things have worked out.

But now, the question is moving mailboxes after installing Exchange 2003 in
the Active Directory domain from the NT4 domain. My plan is to create a new
Organization with the 2003 install.

Is the easiest, least painful way to move things at this point to create
..pst files out of the Exchange 5.5 mailboxes and put them in Exchange 2003,
or is there another method I'm overlooking.

Really appreciate some thoughts.

Thanks...
0
Frank9521 (202)

If the 2003 is a separate forest than you NT 4 domain then this is the only
way.  I would suggest this regardless if you have a small amount of
mailboxes.

--
John Oliver, Jr
MCSE, MCT, CCNA

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm about to install a new Exchange 2003 server.  My current Exchange 5.5
> server still sits in our nearly-abandoned NT4 domain.
>
> Users are already logging on to the 2003 domain while their mailboxes
> remain
> in Exchange 5.5. This is just how things have worked out.
>
> But now, the question is moving mailboxes after installing Exchange 2003
> in
> the Active Directory domain from the NT4 domain. My plan is to create a
> new
> Organization with the 2003 install.
>
> Is the easiest, least painful way to move things at this point to create
> .pst files out of the Exchange 5.5 mailboxes and put them in Exchange
> 2003,
> or is there another method I'm overlooking.
>
> Really appreciate some thoughts.
>
> Thanks...

0
jcoliverjr (1013)
2/11/2006 4:12:48 AM
There IS a trust between the two domains if that helps at all..

Frank

"John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" wrote:

> If the 2003 is a separate forest than you NT 4 domain then this is the only
> way.  I would suggest this regardless if you have a small amount of
> mailboxes.
>
> --
> John Oliver, Jr
> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
> Exchange MVP 2006
> Microsoft Certified Partner
>
> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm about to install a new Exchange 2003 server.  My current Exchange 5.5
> > server still sits in our nearly-abandoned NT4 domain.
> >
> > Users are already logging on to the 2003 domain while their mailboxes
> > remain
> > in Exchange 5.5. This is just how things have worked out.
> >
> > But now, the question is moving mailboxes after installing Exchange 2003
> > in
> > the Active Directory domain from the NT4 domain. My plan is to create a
> > new
> > Organization with the 2003 install.
> >
> > Is the easiest, least painful way to move things at this point to create
> > .pst files out of the Exchange 5.5 mailboxes and put them in Exchange
> > 2003,
> > or is there another method I'm overlooking.
> >
> > Really appreciate some thoughts.
> >
> > Thanks...

0
Frank9521 (202)
2/11/2006 11:45:26 AM
You could use the ADMT Tool,

https://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/PlanE2k3MsgSys/40968c49-43bb-4d8b-bb40-eb6996b764ae.mspx

--

> There IS a trust between the two domains if that helps at all..
>
> Frank
>

> "John Oliver, Jr. [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If the 2003 is a separate forest than you NT 4 domain then this is the
>> only
>> way.  I would suggest this regardless if you have a small amount of
>> mailboxes.
>>
>> --
>> John Oliver, Jr
>> MCSE, MCT, CCNA
>> Exchange MVP 2006
>> Microsoft Certified Partner
>>
>> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm about to install a new Exchange 2003 server.  My current Exchange
>> > 5.5
>> > server still sits in our nearly-abandoned NT4 domain.
>> >
>> > Users are already logging on to the 2003 domain while their mailboxes
>> > remain
>> > in Exchange 5.5. This is just how things have worked out.
>> >
>> > But now, the question is moving mailboxes after installing Exchange
>> > 2003
>> > in
>> > the Active Directory domain from the NT4 domain. My plan is to create a
>> > new
>> > Organization with the 2003 install.
>> >
>> > Is the easiest, least painful way to move things at this point to
>> > create
>> > .pst files out of the Exchange 5.5 mailboxes and put them in Exchange
>> > 2003,
>> > or is there another method I'm overlooking.
>> >
>> > Really appreciate some thoughts.
>> >
>> > Thanks...

0
jcoliverjr (1013)

Best Way ?
G'day All, Looking for some information. With Outlook you can have all your contacts...address, email address, yada, yada, yada. Can I use this information in to say mail merge with Word and email a letter to the ppl with email addresses? Or is this better done with a Access? The reason I ask is that we want to deliver an email to all our clients with the latest promotions. And want it to be a bit more automated? Any information or pointers in the right direction would be appreciated. Have a good one, Scott V You can use either Access or Outlook as the data source for a ma...

Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels?
Is there a way to color code Outlook Contact File Folder Labels? No. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Join OneNote Tips mailing list: http://www.onenote-tips.net/ "isailhbca" <isailhbca@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DBD10F7-FAA0-4102-A4C3-E2697908EFE8@microsoft.com... >...

A way to create sub-categories?

Outlook 2003 Auto Completion
I have a user that is unable to get one of his contacts to stay in his "auto complete" list for sending email messages. I have checked the name in his address book. I found a discussion online about changing the registry to increase the number of names that auto complete will store. However, before I do that, can anyone please tell me how I find out the maximum number of names can be stored in the auto complete? Is there a default set at a certain number of names that will be retained? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to mess with registry keys unless...

Exchange 2003 and DPM2007
I use Exchange 2003 on server Windows 2003 32bit and DPM2007 on server Windows 2008R2. The replica of Storage group Storage Group on MyServer.MyDomain is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the replica is consistent. For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run...

is there a way to crop a corner out of a rectangular image in Visi
Using subtract on two shapes accomplishes what i want to do, but when the first shape is a .gif image, it does not work. No, the "boolean operations", as they're called, do not operate on foreign objects like bitmaps and controls. Visio has crop functionality for imported graphics, but it is only rectangular. You could draw a small white triangle and give it "no line". Then place it over the corner of your bitmap. -- Hope this helps, Chris Roth Visio MVP "doug" <doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29D479A6-6099-4051-B7A0-1...

Excel 2003: What happened to the '=' button in the formular bar
I've just upgraded from Excel 2000 to Excel 2003. The most important change I've noticed is that the '=' sign in the formula bar has been replaced with the function (e.g. fx) button. This is somewhat annoying because I was used to starting my formulas by clicking on the = sign and then pointing at various cells to include in a formula. Is this user replaceable in some way so I can get the '=' sign back or am I missing something important in terms of new functionality? TIA for any help you can provide Smokey ------------------------------- smokey_j@hotmail.com "...

Publisher 2003 #24
How many Pub File conversions are out their to bring Pub Files into other softwars like Corel, Adobe etc ? Xeroid <haha> was very recently heard to utter: > How many Pub File conversions are out their to bring Pub Files into > other softwars like Corel, Adobe etc ? Adobe Acrobat can convert any file to PDF, including Publisher files. The same printer driver can be used to create EPS files, which you may be able to import into Adobe applications that support it. The latest version of CorelDraw supports enhanced copy/paste from Office applications, and copes better than ol...

Outlook 2003 Printing Problem
Hi all, We have outlook 2003 installed on a citrix farm & are having an odd printing problem. From any other application within the published desktop the printing is fine but when we try to print from outlook it tells us we have no printers installed. Anyone seen this before? Thanks in adanvace Stu news.microsoft.com wrote: > Hi all, > > We have outlook 2003 installed on a citrix farm & are having an odd printing > problem. From any other application within the published desktop the > printing is fine but when we try to print from outlook it tells us we have >...

5.5 and 2003 Interoperability
I am in the process of upgrading Exch5.5 servers to Exch2003. I have moved some mailboxes (using the Move Mailbox Wizard) to the new 2003 server, and all works quite well and they can open mailboxes which still remain on the 5.5 servers as necessary. However, users with mailboxes on the 5.5 server are unable to open any mailboxes on the 2003 server even if they have the correct delegated permissions in Outlook. Is this normal? Should I upgrade everybody ASAP or is there something else going on? Thanks Paul | I am in the process of upgrading Exch5.5 servers to | Exch2003. I have ...

Outlook 2003
I have a user who is reporting that whilst creating a new mail/ replying to a mail, it will occassionally blank out all the text in the mail. If he minimizes or maximizes the mail he can breifly see all the text he has typed, but it dissapears straight away. I've not managed to recreate teh problem myself, but am hoping this is a general issue with a simple answer. Thanks in advance. ...

is there a way to change the time card repor format?
i'm using activereports in RMS to generate a custome timecard report. for my timein and timeout colums, the datatype i have assigned to the columns is vbDate. when I generate the report, the columns only show the date as mm/dd/yyyy, they do not show the time of day piece for exactly when the cashier punched in or out. is there any way to change the formatting of this so that in the report the time shows up? for example, instead of showing 2/6/2005 in the time in column, it would show 2/5/2005 8:00:00 AM. thanks in advance, kevin There is a timecard report on the Reports Library...

Formula Does not work on excel 2003
This formula does not work in excel 2003. Does anyone know how to convert it to the correct formula for excel 2003. It works perfectly on my system with 2007. But when I put it on a system with 2003 it returns nothing. What it is supposed to do is pull data from a sheet name in the format dd.mm.yy. Sometimes the sheet is not there so should return nothing or 0. =IF(ISERROR(INDIRECT("'"&TEXT($A4,"dd-mm-yy")&"'!$k$12")),"",INDIRECT("'"&TEXT($A4,"dd-mm-yy")&"'!$k$12")) Your formula work...

best way to deserialize xml
I'm at a quandry as to what's the best/fastest way to deserialize an incoming xml stream? I ran a small test on xmlserializer and on a small file it performed 10 times worse then when I used the XMLDocument and deserialized the values myself. Is the xmlserializer really that slow? I'm expecting a file about 1 MB in length and if it's that slow on a 2 K file then I can't phantom how it's going to behave on a 1 MB file. Should I just skip the xmlserializer and XML Dom and go straight to xmlreader and do the deserialization myself? This has been discussed a few times...

Can You Count This Way?
I have some cells with note type data: For ex: ax,3b7,22,xy,zz, Is there a way to count every item between the commas? Thanks. Hi try =LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",","")+LEN(A1)>0 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Timothy Wright wrote: > I have some cells with note type data: > > For ex: > > ax,3b7,22,xy,zz, > > Is there a way to count every item between the commas? > > Thanks. On Wed, 19 May 2004 20:13:53 +0200, "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote: >Hi >try >=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,&q...

Exchange 2003 Cluster issue
We're testing Exchange 2003 for implementation later this year and have currently setup a test lab with the following: Windows 2003 Standard Server (Global Catologue) Compaq DL380 Cluster (2 node) - configured as member servers Windows 2003 Enterprise Exchange 2003 Enterprise SP1 The problem we have is that when we create a new user, it doesn't give the option to create a mailbox. Forestprep and Domainprep were both run on the Catologue Server to begin with. Never seen this before so suggestions are greatly appreciated. Jay In the last exciting episode, "Jay" <p...

Outlook 2003 Compatibility #2
Can Outlook 2003 be installed on a computer with Windows ME Operating System? "Les" <lester123_nospam@comcast.net> wrote: >Can Outlook 2003 be installed on a computer with Windows ME Operating >System? nope ...

Is there a way to Sort data by color in Excel?
I am trying to sort data by color, is that possible? see http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html#sorting -- HTH Bob Phillips "SRTUC" <SRTUC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B5121232-FB1D-46AF-94F8-04B7EAA2D90C@microsoft.com... > I am trying to sort data by color, is that possible? You're gonna need a User defined function to get the value of a color. See Chip Pearson's site for a nice version: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm Look for: Returning The ColorIndex Of A Cell Then you could use that UDF in a separate colu...

Groupwise 6 to Exchange 2003 migration help
Does anyone have any guidance or things I need to watch out for when doing a Groupwise 6 to Exchange 2003 migration? Any help is appreciated. thanks, Jasonj I would start here http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?InCC_hdn=true&QuerySource=gASr_Query&Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&Product=msall&Queryc=Groupwise+6+to+Exchange+2003+migration&Query=Groupwise+6+to+Exchange+2003+migration&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=150&Titles=false&numDays=&InCC=on Jason wrote: > Does anyone have any guidance or things I need to...

CRM and Exchange 2003
Hello all! I searched long and hard for the answer, but as you all know, good info on CRM is hard to find... Here's my issue: We are currently running Exchange 2000, and plan to install CRM. I know about Server 2003 compatability issues, so we are will be installing CRM on Server 2000, and will use SQL Server 2000 as well. However, we are just a small part of a much larger entity who is planning on moving everything to Exchange 2003 VERY soon! So, if everything else stays the same (2000) and we upgrade our Exchange Server to 2003, will CRM get hosed? or will life still be tranq...

Outlook 2003 #222
I am trying to connect my various email accounts to feed into Outlook with Verizon as my isp. MSN Yahoo pop.mail.yahoo.com, smtp.mail.yahoo.com Every time the program asks for the password which is correct & I press the password which works without outlook. Mary L. McR <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to connect my various email accounts to feed > into Outlook with Verizon as my isp. > MSN > Yahoo pop.mail.yahoo.com, smtp.mail.yahoo.com Yahoo! expects you to pay extra for POP access to their mail servers. Do you have a Yahoo! Plus accou...

Fastest way to load an xml file into an array in .net

Option to shadow shapes & text boxes in Publisher 2003
MS Office help offers the following instructions referencing a SHADOW STYLE OPTION; THIS OPTION DOES NOT APPEAR ON MY DROP DOWN LIST OF OPTIONS!!! Select the picture, AutoShape, WordArt or text box that you want to change. On the Formatting toolbar, click Shadow Style , and do one of the following: Add or remove a shadow To add a shadow, click the shadow style you want. To remove a shadow, click No Shadow. Change the direction of the shadow To change the direction of a shadow, click a shadow that goes the direction you want. Change the distance of the shadow from...

Is there a convenient way to save data
Is there a convenient way to save dialog data so it remembers the users last selection? I have a dialog based application that only has three user variables all of which are ints. What is the best way to make theses variables persistent for a given user on a given machine? Thanks "Jeff B" <jb@nospan.net> wrote in message news:fpDif.10451$Ay6.2336@fe13.lga... > > Is there a convenient way to save dialog data so it remembers the users last > selection? I have a dialog based application that only has three user > variables all of which are ints. What is the best w...

VB6 Code 1/2 way finished......any suggestions
Have a issue with a VB6 program, had someone write some code, he got 1/2 way thru and decided to work on other projects and keeps putting us on the back burner, been waiting 4 months now, looking at what he has put together looks very nice, but is trademarked? so we cant get to the code, any ideas or suggestions? Thanks Bill On 4/1/2010 12:48 AM, David Kaye wrote: > "Bill"<got2believe@msn.com> wrote: > >> trademarked? so we cant get to the code, any ideas or suggestions? Thanks > > If it'...