Old user keeps receiving mail in Exch 2003

I have a old user (she has been deleted) that keeps receiving a large amount
of SPAM.  I have the Exchange server automatically move this undeliverable
mail to a folder on the server called BadMail, and once a week I go and
manually delete all the files in that directory.

The question are:
1. Can exchange be set up to reject the mail to this old user (not except it
for local delivery to the domain)

2. If not 1, then can I set exchange up to automatically dump the inbound
undeliverables

Thanks in advance
0
Ed4190 (308)

what version of Exchange?  if it's 2000 or 2003, you can configure your
server to not accept email for non-existent mailboxes...if it's 5.5, you can
create what is callled a "black hole" distribution list...create a DL, do
not add any mailboxes to it, but on the Email Addresses tab, add the smtp
addresses of the departed users...

"ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a old user (she has been deleted) that keeps receiving a large
amount
> of SPAM.  I have the Exchange server automatically move this undeliverable
> mail to a folder on the server called BadMail, and once a week I go and
> manually delete all the files in that directory.
>
> The question are:
> 1. Can exchange be set up to reject the mail to this old user (not except
it
> for local delivery to the domain)
>
> 2. If not 1, then can I set exchange up to automatically dump the inbound
> undeliverables
>
> Thanks in advance

0
susan7353 (1225)
11/19/2004 3:19:45 PM
Hi Susan,

It's Exchange 2003 (It was in the subject line but looks like it is cut off
in the technet view.)

"Susan" wrote:

> what version of Exchange?  if it's 2000 or 2003, you can configure your
> server to not accept email for non-existent mailboxes...if it's 5.5, you can
> create what is callled a "black hole" distribution list...create a DL, do
> not add any mailboxes to it, but on the Email Addresses tab, add the smtp
> addresses of the departed users...
>
> "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a old user (she has been deleted) that keeps receiving a large
> amount
> > of SPAM.  I have the Exchange server automatically move this undeliverable
> > mail to a folder on the server called BadMail, and once a week I go and
> > manually delete all the files in that directory.
> >
> > The question are:
> > 1. Can exchange be set up to reject the mail to this old user (not except
> it
> > for local delivery to the domain)
> >
> > 2. If not 1, then can I set exchange up to automatically dump the inbound
> > undeliverables
> >
> > Thanks in advance

0
Ed4190 (308)
11/19/2004 3:53:14 PM
sorry; I missed that...if you go to Global Settings in the ESM, then select
"Message Delivery" go to the "Recipient Filtering" tab, and select "Filter
recipients who are not in the directory"...

> Hi Susan,
>
> It's Exchange 2003 (It was in the subject line but looks like it is cut
off
> in the technet view.)
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > what version of Exchange?  if it's 2000 or 2003, you can configure your
> > server to not accept email for non-existent mailboxes...if it's 5.5, you
can
> > create what is callled a "black hole" distribution list...create a DL,
do
> > not add any mailboxes to it, but on the Email Addresses tab, add the
smtp
> > addresses of the departed users...
> >
> > "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a old user (she has been deleted) that keeps receiving a large
> > amount
> > > of SPAM.  I have the Exchange server automatically move this
undeliverable
> > > mail to a folder on the server called BadMail, and once a week I go
and
> > > manually delete all the files in that directory.
> > >
> > > The question are:
> > > 1. Can exchange be set up to reject the mail to this old user (not
except
> > it
> > > for local delivery to the domain)
> > >
> > > 2. If not 1, then can I set exchange up to automatically dump the
inbound
> > > undeliverables
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance

0
susan7353 (1225)
11/19/2004 4:08:45 PM
I don't have that option.  I have the following options under Global
Settings, Message Delivery, Filter:
1. Archive filtered messages
2. Filter messages with blank sender
3. Accept messages without notifying sender of Filtering

also I am missing "drop connection if address matches filter" option on this
property page.

Any ideas?
Thanks
 ed

"Susan" wrote:

> sorry; I missed that...if you go to Global Settings in the ESM, then select
> "Message Delivery" go to the "Recipient Filtering" tab, and select "Filter
> recipients who are not in the directory"...
>
> "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Susan,
> >
> > It's Exchange 2003 (It was in the subject line but looks like it is cut
> off
> > in the technet view.)
> >
> > "Susan" wrote:
> >
> > > what version of Exchange?  if it's 2000 or 2003, you can configure your
> > > server to not accept email for non-existent mailboxes...if it's 5.5, you
> can
> > > create what is callled a "black hole" distribution list...create a DL,
> do
> > > not add any mailboxes to it, but on the Email Addresses tab, add the
> smtp
> > > addresses of the departed users...
> > >
> > > "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > amount
> undeliverable
> and

> except
> > > it

> inbound

0
Ed4190 (308)
11/19/2004 4:25:01 PM
you're doing a righ-click on Message Delivery?  I'm running Exchange 2003,
too...

> I don't have that option.  I have the following options under Global
> Settings, Message Delivery, Filter:
> 1. Archive filtered messages
> 2. Filter messages with blank sender
> 3. Accept messages without notifying sender of Filtering
>
> also I am missing "drop connection if address matches filter" option on
this
> property page.
>
> Any ideas?
> Thanks
>  ed
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > sorry; I missed that...if you go to Global Settings in the ESM, then
select
> > "Message Delivery" go to the "Recipient Filtering" tab, and select
"Filter
> > recipients who are not in the directory"...
> >
> > "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Susan,
> > >
> > > It's Exchange 2003 (It was in the subject line but looks like it is
cut
> > off
> > > in the technet view.)

> > can
DL,
> > do
> > smtp

> > undeliverable
> > and

> > except

> > inbound

0
susan7353 (1225)
11/19/2004 4:37:01 PM
Yep Right click, Properties

"Susan" wrote:

> you're doing a righ-click on Message Delivery?  I'm running Exchange 2003,
> too...
>
> "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I don't have that option.  I have the following options under Global
> > Settings, Message Delivery, Filter:
> > 1. Archive filtered messages
> > 2. Filter messages with blank sender
> > 3. Accept messages without notifying sender of Filtering
> >
> > also I am missing "drop connection if address matches filter" option on
> this
> > property page.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > Thanks
> >  ed
> >
> > "Susan" wrote:
> >
> > > sorry; I missed that...if you go to Global Settings in the ESM, then
> select
> > > "Message Delivery" go to the "Recipient Filtering" tab, and select
> "Filter
> > > recipients who are not in the directory"...
> > >
> > > "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> cut
> > > off

> your
> you
> > > can
> DL,
> > > do
> > > smtp

> large
> > > undeliverable
> go
> > > and

> > > except

> > > inbound

0
Ed4190 (308)
11/19/2004 4:51:08 PM
For Exchange 2003 do the following.  Within item 4 you would place the old
users email address.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823866
Create a recipient filter
When you use recipient filtering, you can prevent messages from being
delivered to e-mail addresses that exist in your organization, and you can
filter messages that are directed to e-mail addresses that do not exist in
your organization. Recipient filtering only applies to messages that come
from anonymous connections.

To create a recipient filter, follow these steps: 1. Start Exchange System
Manager.
      2. Expand Global Settings, right-click Message Delivery, and then
click Properties.
      3. Click the Recipient Filtering tab.
      4. To filter e-mail based on a particular e-mail address, click Add,
type the e-mail address, and then click OK.
      5. To filter messages that are directed to e-mail addresses that do
not exist in your organization, click to select the Filter recipients who
are not in the directory check box.

"ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Susan,
>
> It's Exchange 2003 (It was in the subject line but looks like it is cut
off
> in the technet view.)
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > what version of Exchange?  if it's 2000 or 2003, you can configure your
> > server to not accept email for non-existent mailboxes...if it's 5.5, you
can
> > create what is callled a "black hole" distribution list...create a DL,
do
> > not add any mailboxes to it, but on the Email Addresses tab, add the
smtp
> > addresses of the departed users...
> >
> > "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a old user (she has been deleted) that keeps receiving a large
> > amount
> > > of SPAM.  I have the Exchange server automatically move this
undeliverable
> > > mail to a folder on the server called BadMail, and once a week I go
and
> > > manually delete all the files in that directory.
> > >
> > > The question are:
> > > 1. Can exchange be set up to reject the mail to this old user (not
except
> > it
> > > for local delivery to the domain)
> > >
> > > 2. If not 1, then can I set exchange up to automatically dump the
inbound
> > > undeliverables
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance

0
nemx02 (111)
11/19/2004 4:57:34 PM
that's odd...
> Yep Right click, Properties
>
> "Susan" wrote:
>
> > you're doing a righ-click on Message Delivery?  I'm running Exchange
2003,
> > too...
> >
> > "ed" <ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I don't have that option.  I have the following options under Global
> > > Settings, Message Delivery, Filter:
> > > 1. Archive filtered messages
> > > 2. Filter messages with blank sender
> > > 3. Accept messages without notifying sender of Filtering
> > >
> > > also I am missing "drop connection if address matches filter" option
on
> > this
> > > property page.
> > >
> > > Any ideas?
> > > Thanks
> > >  ed

> > select
> > "Filter

> > cut

> > your
> > you
> > DL,

> > large
> > go

0
susan7353 (1225)

User alias in Exchange 2003 is displayed incorrectly
I have a user whose exchange alias is incorrectly displayed as User123456 (something of this format), I checked her Exchange General tab and though it did not display as User123456, it did have the same alias as another user with the same name first name but spelled differently. So now that the confusion was fixed, I noticed that the user is still displayed in the GAL as User123456. I have tried forcing an update of the GAL, deleting the entry in Outlook's automatic dropdown address list on several computers, and even trying to change the alias to the users full name. Where is t...

Outlook 2003 #215
I was wondering how to get rid of the apostrophe around a name(email address) in my sent items folder. The apostrophe puts my emails out of order and makes it difficult for searching for a past email. ...

Files in folder Windows.old in Vista
I have installed Ultimate on a Business version and then received the Windows.old folder. I want to delete it but have found same working files in old path than in the new. It appears that Windows updates the working files in both folders. Are they mirrored or copies. I changed the name of one file in old - corresponding file in the new folder received the same name. If I delete files from Windows.old will they be deleted from current folder too? "HBj" <HBj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12D90C20-D766-48D2-AA9C-D0FF7097DEBA@microsoft.com... ...

office 2007 and old office 2003 excel files
I have a desktop pc with Office 2003 and Vista Home premium system. I am getting a new laptop and am purchasing office 2007 home student to install on it. With the laptop I can access shared files from the desktop. However, all my old files were generated by office 2003. Will the office 2007 be able to access and process these old files? Also, can I uninstall office 2003 from my desktop and install the office 2007 on it and use the old files created by office 2003? Thanks. Carl Yes, Excel 2007 can read 2003 files... You can either convert them to the new version by savi...

Exchange 2003 Mailbox Size Recommendations?
Hey Guys, I was wondering, whats the mailbox size limit that most places go by? Is there a standard? We use Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition. I know its only limited my the actual storage space that we have... But lets say we have 250 users, and each one was to get 1GB of space... Would there be any for or against to doing something like this? Just looking for opinions and experiences... Thanks in advance... you don't have a soft limitation, but in case of a disaster recovery or database inconsistency you will need a great amount of time to reapair the database or restore de backup...

Opening docs from old versions
In attempting to open a doc created in an ancient version of Word (for Windows, not DOS), I get this message: "You are attempting to open a file that was created in an earlier version of Microsoft Office. This file type is blocked from opening by your registry policy setting." What is the registry setting I must change to override this and allow the opening? Thanks. -TedMi Hi Ted, I'm pretty sure this is the KB article you need: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938810 There are both downloadable reg files and instructions for manual editing...

Sort names and e-mails from one column
Hi Just wondering if any could help me with a problem I have sorting names and e-mails from one column. I have an excel spreadsheet and in column A it has a list of names and e-mail addresses. I need to split them into 2 columns emails in one names in another for importing into another program. Is this possible? The emails are all odd and the names even if this helps. A B C 1. email 2. name 3. email 4. name 5. email 6. name Thx in advance for any help. -- jul3s ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jul3s's Profile: http://www.ex...

Retrieving/opening Outlook express emails from old drive
Hi all, I recently needed to replace the hard drive in my notebook. The old drive is still operational, so I can now using it as an external hard disc. How can I open to read / and save or import all the email folders in Outlook express from this older disc? I'd like to save all those messages to a backup/archive. Thanks, Shayne. Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Out...

old posts
How can I find a post I made yesterday? Hi, when you open this post, click on your name, it will pop up a window with your information, at the to right click on Recent posts by this user if this helps please click yes, thanks "Eric" wrote: > How can I find a post I made yesterday? I'd use google. Give it enough information (keywords/author/subject): http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100 Ron de Bruin has an excel addin that you may like: http://www.rondebruin.nl/Google.htm Eric wrote:...

Truncation of text when using mail merge.
I would appreciate any assistance. The text in my excel spreadsheet is being truncated when perfoming a mail merge into Word. I'm running Office 2003. Is there any way I can maintain all the text when performing mail merge? excel limits how much text is displayed Go to your Excel help menu and enter limits I believe 1024 has been the magic number for years. "Macy" wrote: > I would appreciate any assistance. The text in my excel spreadsheet is being > truncated when perfoming a mail merge into Word. I'm running Office 2003. > Is there any way I can mainta...

Changed a pers folder to "Old Stuff" now can't close/del "Old Stu.
When I installed Outlook I ended up with three "Personal Folders" folders. I was able to delete one of them by changing the name and right clicking on the new name. I changed the name of the 2nd and when I tried to delete it I got the message: "The operation failed. An object could not be found." Has anyone had this problem and if so, did they find a solution? What version of Outlook? Try creating a new mail profile - it sounds like yours is corrupt. -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert l...

How to Allow OWA for Users Internally, but only selected users from the Internet
Hi, Our problem is this. We have an Exchange organisation & single AD with approx 1,500 users. OWA is accessible internally for all users. Most of the time our users operate with Outlook 2003, but the OWA version is useful if they have to login quickly / temporarily to another PC. We would like to keep this capability. This was fine until recently when we introduced a new interet facing OWA server. We would like to restrict access to this server to a specific user group. Is there a simple way to allow users access to one OWA server internally but deny them access to ...

Outlook gets OLD messages again....
How does this happen? I've got messages coming in from April that I had deleted. May be your provider restored a backup? -- EDV-Service Marchert [Peter Marchert] --------------------------------------- Homepage: http://www.marchert.de Rufnummernformatierung mit EditNumbers Kontakte per Mausklick mit ContactMaker smerf schrieb: > How does this happen? I've got messages coming in from April that I had > deleted. It's 1and1.com.....the girl that answered couldn't do anything but request a sample email from me and promise a call later. This has happened...

Incoming mail being routed to junk mail... Help Please!
Hello, we upgraded to a new computer and ported everything over. Everything seemed fine. About 3 weeks later, we realized that we weren't receiving some e-mails. I checked the junk folder and it appears that a ton of e-mails (from contacts that we've received e-mails from in the past w/o any issues) were being routed here. The junk mail setting has always been set to low. Here are the issues we discovered: 1. Some e-mails from previously known contacts were routed to junk mail. 2. Some e-mails from new contacts were routed to junk mail. 2. Some e-mails from previous...

Update active directory user from Windows Service
Hi, I have a windows service that will pull data from an external source and I need to update this informaiton in AD from a Windows Service. What is the easiest way to do this? I looked at using the ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider but it seems that this is for ASP.NET applications only(?) or perhaps I am missing some better results in google. I know that I can connect via LDAP and change details using code like the following DirectorySearcher search = new DirectorySearcher(); search.Filter = String.Format("(SAMAccountName={0})", userName); ...

How old are you?
I'm trying to work out the age of someone, based on the current date an their date of birth. I've used the YEAR [Year(A1)-Year(B1)] function bu it rounds up? Can anyone help? Thank -- tee ----------------------------------------------------------------------- teeb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1317 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=51062 Hi teeb With the date of birth in B2 Completed years =IF(B2<=TODAY(),DATEDIF(B2,TODAY(),"Y"),-DATEDIF(TODAY(),B2,"Y")) See also http://www...

Users being kicked out of Great Plains
I have several users how are not able to print reports, post transactions, or transfer orders without being kicked out of Great Plains. This is a new anomaly we are experiencing with version 8.0. I have applied both service packs have run check links on the system. I have also granted all rights to the users thinking it might be security. Yet these users are still having issues. Any thoghts on what is causing this? with one of these users, try deleting the user account and recreating a new one, and see if it has any impact ... just a thought. "ConfusedAdmin" wrote: &g...

how can I get old replaced excel file
I have one A file, suddenly I have go to sav as option & select file B to replace with A I said yes, but my mistake I said yes. Please see how can I get that old A file from back date ? Use the backup copy. If you didn't create a backup last time, make sure that you do next time. In your "Save As" dialogue, "General Options" comes from the Tools option (in Excel 2007). If you didn't create a backup copy yourself, then you are out of luck unless your system (or your IT department if you have one) has created a backup, or unless you sent a cop...

Visio 2003
Hi all. I've been banging my head against the wall here, and would certainly appreciate a hand. I'm working on a reasonably-sized org chart of 400 companies using the Org Chart US Units template & stencil. The source is an Excel sheet with a combination of entered text, numbers, and formulas. Some of the columns are used to modify the appearance of the shape instance, for example, if the parent company is A, then the outline is regular black. But if it's B, then the outline is blue. Or if another value is C, then the shape is a regular rectangle, but if it's D, the co...

Are there size limits when converting a 2003 file to 2007
I have a 2003 .mpp file with 33900 tasks in it (yes its big, it a master file that spans 9 years). Everytime I try to open it in 2007 the application crashes (MS has encountered an error and must shut down). If I take the 2003 file and delete tasks (task that are complete for instance), I can eventually get it to a point where I can open it in 2007. Is anyone aware of a task limit in the conversion process that I can change or a file size limit? All help would be appreciated. -- Sarah There are limits, but off hand I don't know the details other than to recall that ...

changing the CRM default user
We installed the production version of CRM last week on new servers, etc. from our test install. When I installed the CRM Server, I was logged in as Administrator as opposed to the CRMAdmin account that I had wanted by accident. During the install wizard, I used the CRMAdmin account as the account when Specifying the security account for CRM, Crystal & asp.net. The install was "successful". When I tried using CRM, I was getting a bunch of errors with Crystal (don't ask me what they are at the moment). I was also getting a snap-in failed error in the deployment manager si...

Rounding time in excel (2003)
I want to get a formula to round time up to the nearest 15 minutes. The challenge is that the field I need to analyze is in a decimal form. Example: In A1 is the value 2.20 I want an equation in B1 that results in the answer 2.25, or 2 and a 1/4 hours. Can anyone help? TIA, Alan One way: =CEILING(A1,0.25) In article <uV7dfL$9EHA.2608@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, "Alan" <me@here.now> wrote: > I want to get a formula to round time up to the nearest 15 minutes. The > challenge is that the field I need to analyze is in a decimal form. > Example: In A1 is the val...

Links in e-mails to other web sites are VERY slow
I posted this request a few days ago, but I still haven't resolved the problem. Maybe someone else has an idea? When someone sends me a link to another website in an e- mail, outlook 2002 is very slow (30 + seconds) to send me to that site. Internet Explorer does not respond slowly by itself. Outlook didn't always respond so slowly, so something must have changed. I tried to remedy the problem by archiving old data in Outlook, erasing all old internet and cookie files from Internet Explorer, and disabling instant messaging, but nothing has worked. I use Hotmail for my mai...

Exchange 2003 Relay from unknown users
Hi everyone, we have installed a Exchange 2k3 on a Windows Server 2k3. It sends and receive every mail on our domain, we haven't got an ISP which receive our mail. We have a smtp connector to Internet. We have seen everyone with our domain suffix can send mail through our exchange server. If we uncheck Anonymous access checkbox on the Access tab of the smtp virtual server, we can't receive mail from outside, but if we check this option, everyone can send mail through our server. We can't specify some IP subnet to restrict the relay because some of our users have connections...

potential new money user
several questions: 1. how do I easily find the response to my post amongst the many posts? Can I search on my name or do I have to scroll thru every page? 2. Just want to confirm that, as long as we do not set up the link to the MSN money website, our account information is not on the Web. In other words, Money updates online from our accounts, but it is directly into my PC, and not stored anywhere on the web by Money. 3. Is there any way to set up hypothetical accounts, i.e. a hypothetical portfolio, or an account in a foreign currency? 4. I'm sure there is a way, but just fro...