Offsite corporate Exchange Server

Because of redundancy problems (T1 goes off) we would like to move our
internal exchange server to a hosting company.  Our current Exchange server
is Exchange 2003 and we utilize public folders.  Each user has there own PST
file.  How can I move our Exchange server off site and continue to give my
users access to their email and the public folders?  I could use the IMAP
connection, but then the mail is kept on our server.  Another alternative is
RPC over HTTP, but how slow is that?  POP3 is a option, but then my users
can't access the public folders
 Any ideas would be appreciated.
0
Mike1154 (1216)

I suggest that this would only make your problems worse because when your T1
is down, your users won't have access to their mail unless they're running
cached mode or download everything to a PST.  The latter is a poor option,
in my opinion.

Instead, implement a SMTP relay server at your ISP (or pay them to host SMTP
that way) with enough storage to queue mail for a long outage period.  When
the T1 goes out, it'll queue your mail until it's back up and then deliver
it to the server.  Two days is a typical default, but there's no reason you
couldn't hold mail even longer if longer outages are common for your
service.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Because of redundancy problems (T1 goes off) we would like to move our
> internal exchange server to a hosting company.  Our current Exchange
> server
> is Exchange 2003 and we utilize public folders.  Each user has there own
> PST
> file.  How can I move our Exchange server off site and continue to give my
> users access to their email and the public folders?  I could use the IMAP
> connection, but then the mail is kept on our server.  Another alternative
> is
> RPC over HTTP, but how slow is that?  POP3 is a option, but then my users
> can't access the public folders
> Any ideas would be appreciated.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/29/2005 9:34:22 PM
Ed,

Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. Here is the problem. Our CEO is
setup as POP3 and wants to check/receive his email all the time.  See we are
located in South Florida and lately have LOTS of hurricanes.  It's important
that we continue to communicate via Emails.  This is why I would like to move
our exchange server offsite.  We feel the following solution would be
plausible:

1)  Move the exchange server to a ISP
2)  Change all my employees to POP3
3)  Setup a secondary exchange server in the office with just the public
folder store.

I know it's a circular motion where emails go out then back in, but at least
we will continue to receive mail eventhough our T1 is down.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> I suggest that this would only make your problems worse because when your T1
> is down, your users won't have access to their mail unless they're running
> cached mode or download everything to a PST.  The latter is a poor option,
> in my opinion.
>
> Instead, implement a SMTP relay server at your ISP (or pay them to host SMTP
> that way) with enough storage to queue mail for a long outage period.  When
> the T1 goes out, it'll queue your mail until it's back up and then deliver
> it to the server.  Two days is a typical default, but there's no reason you
> couldn't hold mail even longer if longer outages are common for your
> service.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Because of redundancy problems (T1 goes off) we would like to move our
> > internal exchange server to a hosting company.  Our current Exchange
> > server
> > is Exchange 2003 and we utilize public folders.  Each user has there own
> > PST
> > file.  How can I move our Exchange server off site and continue to give my
> > users access to their email and the public folders?  I could use the IMAP
> > connection, but then the mail is kept on our server.  Another alternative
> > is
> > RPC over HTTP, but how slow is that?  POP3 is a option, but then my users
> > can't access the public folders
> > Any ideas would be appreciated.

0
Mike1154 (1216)
8/29/2005 9:47:11 PM
If the T1 is down, your employees in the office won't be able to send to
each other.

POP3 doesn't help anything--it just reduces the function set of Exchange.
If you really want to go to POP3, you might as well remove the Exchange
server entirely and have your ISP host your mail on his POP3 server.  MAPI
with cached mode is a far better option than POP3.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Ed,
>
> Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. Here is the problem. Our CEO is
> setup as POP3 and wants to check/receive his email all the time.  See we
> are
> located in South Florida and lately have LOTS of hurricanes.  It's
> important
> that we continue to communicate via Emails.  This is why I would like to
> move
> our exchange server offsite.  We feel the following solution would be
> plausible:
>
> 1)  Move the exchange server to a ISP
> 2)  Change all my employees to POP3
> 3)  Setup a secondary exchange server in the office with just the public
> folder store.
>
> I know it's a circular motion where emails go out then back in, but at
> least
> we will continue to receive mail eventhough our T1 is down.
>

> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I suggest that this would only make your problems worse because when your
>> T1
>> is down, your users won't have access to their mail unless they're
>> running
>> cached mode or download everything to a PST.  The latter is a poor
>> option,
>> in my opinion.
>>
>> Instead, implement a SMTP relay server at your ISP (or pay them to host
>> SMTP
>> that way) with enough storage to queue mail for a long outage period.
>> When
>> the T1 goes out, it'll queue your mail until it's back up and then
>> deliver
>> it to the server.  Two days is a typical default, but there's no reason
>> you
>> couldn't hold mail even longer if longer outages are common for your
>> service.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Because of redundancy problems (T1 goes off) we would like to move our
>> > internal exchange server to a hosting company.  Our current Exchange
>> > server
>> > is Exchange 2003 and we utilize public folders.  Each user has there
>> > own
>> > PST
>> > file.  How can I move our Exchange server off site and continue to give
>> > my
>> > users access to their email and the public folders?  I could use the
>> > IMAP
>> > connection, but then the mail is kept on our server.  Another
>> > alternative
>> > is
>> > RPC over HTTP, but how slow is that?  POP3 is a option, but then my
>> > users
>> > can't access the public folders
>> > Any ideas would be appreciated.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/30/2005 12:14:59 AM
Yes, you are correct, BUT having my Exchange server offsite will allow me to
continue to receive email and I could check my email from another ISP, which
is normally the case when a Hurricane is approaching.  My goal is to take my
current Exchange server and move it to my Colo facility and update the MX
record.  My concern is how do I change all my 55 employees to POP3 AND still
have them access the public folders?  I was thinking about using a secondary
exchange server with just the public folder store mounted so locally my
employees can view/edit the public folders and use POP3 for ALL emails.  I
realize if the T1 drops they can't send emails internally, but it's a
solution for my CEO who is demanding 100% uptime for emails.  I do have a
secondary MX, but my CEO wants ALL emails to be moved offsite.  My only
problem is the public folder access.  No matter how much talking I do, it's
what they want.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> If the T1 is down, your employees in the office won't be able to send to
> each other.
>
> POP3 doesn't help anything--it just reduces the function set of Exchange.
> If you really want to go to POP3, you might as well remove the Exchange
> server entirely and have your ISP host your mail on his POP3 server.  MAPI
> with cached mode is a far better option than POP3.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ed,
> >
> > Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. Here is the problem. Our CEO is
> > setup as POP3 and wants to check/receive his email all the time.  See we
> > are
> > located in South Florida and lately have LOTS of hurricanes.  It's
> > important
> > that we continue to communicate via Emails.  This is why I would like to
> > move
> > our exchange server offsite.  We feel the following solution would be
> > plausible:
> >
> > 1)  Move the exchange server to a ISP
> > 2)  Change all my employees to POP3
> > 3)  Setup a secondary exchange server in the office with just the public
> > folder store.
> >
> > I know it's a circular motion where emails go out then back in, but at
> > least
> > we will continue to receive mail eventhough our T1 is down.
> >

> > "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> I suggest that this would only make your problems worse because when your
> >> T1
> >> is down, your users won't have access to their mail unless they're
> >> running
> >> cached mode or download everything to a PST.  The latter is a poor
> >> option,
> >> in my opinion.
> >>
> >> Instead, implement a SMTP relay server at your ISP (or pay them to host
> >> SMTP
> >> that way) with enough storage to queue mail for a long outage period.
> >> When
> >> the T1 goes out, it'll queue your mail until it's back up and then
> >> deliver
> >> it to the server.  Two days is a typical default, but there's no reason
> >> you
> >> couldn't hold mail even longer if longer outages are common for your
> >> service.
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Mike1154 (1216)
8/30/2005 1:58:02 AM
POP3 doesn't do public folders.  IMAP will.  Why must you ignore my advice
to use MAPI and cached mode?
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Yes, you are correct, BUT having my Exchange server offsite will allow me
> continue to receive email and I could check my email from another ISP,
> which
> is normally the case when a Hurricane is approaching.  My goal is to take
> my
> current Exchange server and move it to my Colo facility and update the MX
> record.  My concern is how do I change all my 55 employees to POP3 AND
> still
> have them access the public folders?  I was thinking about using a
> secondary
> exchange server with just the public folder store mounted so locally my
> employees can view/edit the public folders and use POP3 for ALL emails.  I
> realize if the T1 drops they can't send emails internally, but it's a
> solution for my CEO who is demanding 100% uptime for emails.  I do have a
> secondary MX, but my CEO wants ALL emails to be moved offsite.  My only
> problem is the public folder access.  No matter how much talking I do,
> it's
> what they want.
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If the T1 is down, your employees in the office won't be able to send to
>> each other.
>>
>> POP3 doesn't help anything--it just reduces the function set of Exchange.
>> If you really want to go to POP3, you might as well remove the Exchange
>> server entirely and have your ISP host your mail on his POP3 server.
>> MAPI
>> with cached mode is a far better option than POP3.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ed,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the reply and the suggestion. Here is the problem. Our CEO
>> > is
>> > setup as POP3 and wants to check/receive his email all the time.  See
>> > we
>> > are
>> > located in South Florida and lately have LOTS of hurricanes.  It's
>> > important
>> > that we continue to communicate via Emails.  This is why I would like
>> > move
>> > our exchange server offsite.  We feel the following solution would be
>> > plausible:
>> >
>> > 1)  Move the exchange server to a ISP
>> > 2)  Change all my employees to POP3
>> > 3)  Setup a secondary exchange server in the office with just the
>> > public
>> > folder store.
>> >
>> > I know it's a circular motion where emails go out then back in, but at
>> > least
>> > we will continue to receive mail eventhough our T1 is down.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/30/2005 4:32:15 AM
Ed,

Sorry, I am not ingoring your advice it's just my ignorance on how to
properly get Exchange working outside our office.  Yes, IMAP is a option, but
from my understanding IMAP keeps the mail on the server instead of delivering
the mail to the users PST file.  We don't keep any mail on our Exchange
server as everything is devliereved to the user.  MAPI cached looks and
sounds great, but then I have to use RPC over HTTP right?  How would the
users authenticate over the WAN?  Remember I am taking my current Exchange
2003 box and moving it to my Colo facility.  I realize POP3 doesn't handle
Public Folders, but I thought since my public folders were on the LAN I could
setup Outlook as POP3 and also open a additional folder that being the public
folder on my local LAN.
Again, I appreciate your suggestions.

Mike

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> POP3 doesn't do public folders.  IMAP will.  Why must you ignore my advice
> to use MAPI and cached mode?
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, you are correct, BUT having my Exchange server offsite will allow me
> > continue to receive email and I could check my email from another ISP,
> > which
> > is normally the case when a Hurricane is approaching.  My goal is to take
> > my
> > current Exchange server and move it to my Colo facility and update the MX
> > record.  My concern is how do I change all my 55 employees to POP3 AND
> > still
> > have them access the public folders?  I was thinking about using a
> > secondary
> > exchange server with just the public folder store mounted so locally my
> > employees can view/edit the public folders and use POP3 for ALL emails.  I
> > realize if the T1 drops they can't send emails internally, but it's a
> > solution for my CEO who is demanding 100% uptime for emails.  I do have a
> > secondary MX, but my CEO wants ALL emails to be moved offsite.  My only
> > problem is the public folder access.  No matter how much talking I do,
> > it's
> > what they want.
> >
> > "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> If the T1 is down, your employees in the office won't be able to send to
> >> each other.
> >>
> >> POP3 doesn't help anything--it just reduces the function set of Exchange.
> >> If you really want to go to POP3, you might as well remove the Exchange
> >> server entirely and have your ISP host your mail on his POP3 server.
> >> MAPI
> >> with cached mode is a far better option than POP3.
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Mike1154 (1216)
8/31/2005 1:20:02 AM
You're wasting your money with an Exchange server then.  Any old POP server
will do what you're using Exchange for.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Ed,
>
> Sorry, I am not ingoring your advice it's just my ignorance on how to
> properly get Exchange working outside our office.  Yes, IMAP is a option,
> but
> from my understanding IMAP keeps the mail on the server instead of
> delivering
> the mail to the users PST file.  We don't keep any mail on our Exchange
> server as everything is devliereved to the user.  MAPI cached looks and
> sounds great, but then I have to use RPC over HTTP right?  How would the
> users authenticate over the WAN?  Remember I am taking my current Exchange
> 2003 box and moving it to my Colo facility.  I realize POP3 doesn't handle
> Public Folders, but I thought since my public folders were on the LAN I
> could
> setup Outlook as POP3 and also open a additional folder that being the
> public
> folder on my local LAN.
> Again, I appreciate your suggestions.
>
> Mike
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> POP3 doesn't do public folders.  IMAP will.  Why must you ignore my
>> advice
>> to use MAPI and cached mode?
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, you are correct, BUT having my Exchange server offsite will allow
>> > me
>> > continue to receive email and I could check my email from another ISP,
>> > which
>> > is normally the case when a Hurricane is approaching.  My goal is to
>> > take
>> > my
>> > current Exchange server and move it to my Colo facility and update the
>> > MX
>> > record.  My concern is how do I change all my 55 employees to POP3 AND
>> > still
>> > have them access the public folders?  I was thinking about using a
>> > secondary
>> > exchange server with just the public folder store mounted so locally my
>> > employees can view/edit the public folders and use POP3 for ALL emails.
>> > realize if the T1 drops they can't send emails internally, but it's a
>> > solution for my CEO who is demanding 100% uptime for emails.  I do have
>> > secondary MX, but my CEO wants ALL emails to be moved offsite.  My only
>> > problem is the public folder access.  No matter how much talking I do,
>> > it's
>> > what they want.

0
curspice6401 (3487)
8/31/2005 1:26:55 AM
Yes, I agree.

I am still searching for options and I appreciate your feedback.

"Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:

> You're wasting your money with an Exchange server then.  Any old POP server
> will do what you're using Exchange for.
> --
> Ed Crowley
> MVP - Exchange
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ed,
> >
> > Sorry, I am not ingoring your advice it's just my ignorance on how to
> > properly get Exchange working outside our office.  Yes, IMAP is a option,
> > but
> > from my understanding IMAP keeps the mail on the server instead of
> > delivering
> > the mail to the users PST file.  We don't keep any mail on our Exchange
> > server as everything is devliereved to the user.  MAPI cached looks and
> > sounds great, but then I have to use RPC over HTTP right?  How would the
> > users authenticate over the WAN?  Remember I am taking my current Exchange
> > 2003 box and moving it to my Colo facility.  I realize POP3 doesn't handle
> > Public Folders, but I thought since my public folders were on the LAN I
> > could
> > setup Outlook as POP3 and also open a additional folder that being the
> > public
> > folder on my local LAN.
> > Again, I appreciate your suggestions.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> POP3 doesn't do public folders.  IMAP will.  Why must you ignore my
> >> advice
> >> to use MAPI and cached mode?
> >> --
> >> Ed Crowley
> >> MVP - Exchange
> >> "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"
> >>
> >> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Mike1154 (1216)
8/31/2005 1:43:04 AM
Can't your users VPN remotely to your LAN and get authenticated?  I have a
sales team using Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2000 with offline folders- it
works great and no pst's...

> Ed,
>
> Sorry, I am not ingoring your advice it's just my ignorance on how to
> properly get Exchange working outside our office.  Yes, IMAP is a option,
> but
> from my understanding IMAP keeps the mail on the server instead of
> delivering
> the mail to the users PST file.  We don't keep any mail on our Exchange
> server as everything is devliereved to the user.  MAPI cached looks and
> sounds great, but then I have to use RPC over HTTP right?  How would the
> users authenticate over the WAN?  Remember I am taking my current Exchange
> 2003 box and moving it to my Colo facility.  I realize POP3 doesn't handle
> Public Folders, but I thought since my public folders were on the LAN I
> could
> setup Outlook as POP3 and also open a additional folder that being the
> public
> folder on my local LAN.
> Again, I appreciate your suggestions.
>
> Mike
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> POP3 doesn't do public folders.  IMAP will.  Why must you ignore my
>> advice
>> to use MAPI and cached mode?
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, you are correct, BUT having my Exchange server offsite will allow
>> > me
>> > continue to receive email and I could check my email from another ISP,
>> > which
>> > is normally the case when a Hurricane is approaching.  My goal is to
>> > take
>> > my
>> > current Exchange server and move it to my Colo facility and update the
>> > MX
>> > record.  My concern is how do I change all my 55 employees to POP3 AND
>> > still
>> > have them access the public folders?  I was thinking about using a
>> > secondary
>> > exchange server with just the public folder store mounted so locally my
>> > employees can view/edit the public folders and use POP3 for ALL emails.
>> > realize if the T1 drops they can't send emails internally, but it's a
>> > solution for my CEO who is demanding 100% uptime for emails.  I do have
>> > secondary MX, but my CEO wants ALL emails to be moved offsite.  My only
>> > problem is the public folder access.  No matter how much talking I do,
>> > it's
>> > what they want.

0
rmicciche (10)
8/31/2005 4:57:17 PM
Again, consider using MAPI and cached mode.  Users will have a copy of
everything on their workstations but you'll still have the benefit of a
centrally managed--and backed up--mail store.  Consider the fallout if your
CEO loses his PST file.  The way you operate, you have no fallback.
--
Ed Crowley
MVP - Exchange

> Yes, I agree.
>
> I am still searching for options and I appreciate your feedback.
>
> "Ed Crowley [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> You're wasting your money with an Exchange server then.  Any old POP
>> server
>> will do what you're using Exchange for.
>> --
>> Ed Crowley
>> MVP - Exchange
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ed,
>> >
>> > Sorry, I am not ingoring your advice it's just my ignorance on how to
>> > properly get Exchange working outside our office.  Yes, IMAP is a
>> > option,
>> > but
>> > from my understanding IMAP keeps the mail on the server instead of
>> > delivering
>> > the mail to the users PST file.  We don't keep any mail on our Exchange
>> > server as everything is devliereved to the user.  MAPI cached looks and
>> > sounds great, but then I have to use RPC over HTTP right?  How would
>> > the
>> > users authenticate over the WAN?  Remember I am taking my current
>> > Exchange
>> > 2003 box and moving it to my Colo facility.  I realize POP3 doesn't
>> > handle
>> > Public Folders, but I thought since my public folders were on the LAN I
>> > could
>> > setup Outlook as POP3 and also open a additional folder that being the
>> > public
>> > folder on my local LAN.
>> > Again, I appreciate your suggestions.
>> >
>> > Mike

0
curspice6401 (3487)

Corporate bonds
I have a situation where the capital gain on a bond isn't taxable but the income is. Is there a way to flag this in Money so that it appears correctly in tax reports? I doubt the Money folks ever envisioned such a situation - could you explain it? -- Michael Gordon - MVP "CWatters" <colin.watters@pandora.be> wrote in message news:eTPPa.2099$F92.204@afrodite.telenet-ops.be... > I have a situation where the capital gain on a bond isn't taxable but the > income is. > > Is there a way to flag this in Money so that it appears correctly in tax > reports...

Exchange 2003 to 2010
I've introduced a first Exchange 2010 server in a 2003 organization. All went well until I tried to to convert Recipient Policies to Exch2010. The command I ran is listed below and the error it generated. Any ideas how to resolve this problem? Thank you in advance. Command: Set-GlobalAddressList "Default Global Address List" -RecipientFilter {(Alias -ne $null -and (ObjectClass -eq 'user' -or ObjectClass -eq 'contact' -or ObjectClass -eq 'msExchSystemMailbox' -or ObjectClass -eq 'msExchDynamicDistributionList' -or ObjectClass -eq ...

Uninstalling Exchange
Hi!!! I have in my organization 2 exchange servers, one is running Exchange 2000 and a new running Exchange 2003.. I have moved all the users to the new server and We are planning to use the old server for something else I was wondering what is the procedure to uninstall one exchange server without affecting the other.. is there like a manual to do so?? or should I just uninstall the old one?? Any recommendations? Of things I should check? Greetings http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=307917 On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:37:58 -0600, "Jes�s Gutierrez" <a...

Unable to Login to Exchange Server
I recently applied several Windows XP Update, patches and SR's along with one or two Office XP Sr's and updates. Everything worked fine except now I am not able to login to the Mail Exchange Server using Outlook 2002. So far, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Office XP. I've deleted the TCP/IP connection and reinstalled it. I've deleted all cookies but I am still unable to login to the server. The symptoms are; Outlook opens up, a user name and password dialog displays, I enter the information and immediately it reports that my user name or password is invalid. It...

prevent offsite prints
I need to prevent users from printing documents offsite from my Access 2003 database On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 09:28:01 -0700, fuzzy1950 <fuzzy1950@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need to prevent users from printing documents offsite from my Access 2003 >database I don't see any way of preventing a specific Windows application like Access from printing to a valid printer, regardless of where it is physically located. And what would prevent the user from using a PDF print utility (like CutePDF) to create a PDF file and email it to an offsite address? Maybe i...

Server Error in Application "/"
Hi there, does anybody has the error? The detailled message is File C:\Windows\Temp\5iau3sbr.dll can not be found. But the name of the dll changes. Exception Error: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: File C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\l5zptuaa.dll can not be found. ..... This happens on different actions (create a new activity, open a contact, ....) Usually we tried to reboot, restart the services etc. This only helps for a few hours. We have "good days" with no problems and bad days with a lot of problems. I can reproduce this (e.g. when I open a contact and this fails, this will fail ...

recover a users mailbox (exchange 2003)
hi lovely people, A user has somehow corrupted or lost all his email kept at our office by logging into our server via a VPN and using his own outlook 2003 client (not OWA) to check his mail. i think whats happened is his home client has sucked all the mail in his inbox away to his home pc (could this be?) anyway, i've been looking into recovering his mailbox and found the following article on msexchange.org http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Recovering-Mailboxes-Exchange2003-SP1.html i'm with it upto a point but i'm quite new to exchange/windows server 2003 and i'm ve...

Integrating with outlook and exchange
Hi all, I want to apologize if this is the wrong forum for this question. I would like to write an application, in Java running on UNIX, that would insert, read, and mark as completed tasks in exchange. What is the best approach for this? Is the answer to write a web service using C# and then call it from Java? Does OWA already provide a set of web services for something like this? If so is there WSDL to go with it? Also, does exchange allow a super user to do this on behave of someone else, or do you need to have individuals logins. If the java app and Exchange both share AD/LDAP doe...

0x86000108 Active Sync Error Connecting to Exchange Server
Exchange 2003 with SP2. Treo 700w setup with a custom certificate, the user is enabled for Mobile Services. Only the contacts and Calednar is syncing, email folders are not and I recieve this error. Mobile Device Log: ActiveSync encoutered a problem on the server. support code: 0x86000108 Server Log: Event Type: Error Event Source: Server ActiveSync Event Category: None Event ID: 3005 Date: 4/6/2006 Time: 12:53:39 PM User: RRG\ebarrett Computer: SRVEXCH2 Description: Unexpected Exchange mailbox Server error: Server: [srvexch1.rrg.local] User: [ebarrett@mydomain.com] HTTP status code: [500...

Exchange 2003 SP1
Has anyone installed this? Any problems? No Problems "Si" <kel@lineone.net> wrote in message news:eLABKICZEHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Has anyone installed this? Any problems? > > "Si" <kel@lineone.net> wrote in message news:eLABKICZEHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Has anyone installed this? Any problems? > > Fingers crossed, nothing experienced yet. Just an error message that store.exe is using more memory than before...Microsoft documents this in the Knowledge Base and says it's a non-issue...just change the reporting...

How do I do a share exchange?
I owned: 205 shares Molson Class A, I received 45 shares Molson Coors. How do I enter this in Money 2005? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. In microsoft.public.money, Michael Brimicombe wrote: >I owned: 205 shares Molson Class A, I received 45 shares Molson Coors. How >do I enter this in Money 2005? Thanks in advance for any suggestions. In Money 2005 Deluxe or Premium, Portfolio->RecordASpecialActivity->RecordAMerger ...

Best practice to remove old server
We had a requirement to replace our ageing Exchange Server. I have gone through the pain of building a new server installing Win2003 & then installing E2k3 and joining our existing email organisation. The two servers are now happily co-existing. Next stage was I moved mailboxes and replicated the Public Folders so the old server is now redundant. I have switched it off in fact to protect it. I then couldn't send mai out which I fixed by setting the new server as one of the local bridgeheads. I am now at the stage that I wish to 'retire' it completely and remove it from...

old topic, new questions: VSS and Exchange
I saw in a post on VSS and Exchange in a microsoft newsgroup and I had a quick question. Is there a site (or can you answer) that describes the disadvantages and advantages of using the Exchange VSS Writer vs. using the streaming API? I'm having a hard time picturing scenarios and what I understand so far is that VSS doesn't allow "no loss" restores or "out of place" restores. But what these are is blurry to me. Given that the Recovery Storage Group was touted as an awesome feature for Exchange 2003, is it thus useless if you are using VSS as your backup strategy?...

the virtual pop server stopped!
I found that policies are not there either... "Riccardo" <riccardo@chelvenengineering.com> wrote in message news:41b1b031$1_2@news.tm.net.my... > Dear all, > > I had setup a win 2003 server with exch 2003 server. Everything worked > fine, local e-mail, newsgroups, shared folders and pemission settings to > open other's users mailboxes... until one day the ILS folders were lost... > naturally also the web page. Sadly I didn't have a backup... I reinstalled > the ILS services, but the virtual pop server of Exchange doesn't want to > start anym...

exchange tracking
I'm fairly new to exchange server and I have a quick question. I would like to be able to see all the emails that are sent in one day from my server and also which accounts sent them. I have read thru the log file, but that looks like the received emails. Is there anyway to do this type of logging? Thanks for any help you can provide. A On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:01:29 GMT, "Auddog" <will_k@hotmail.com> wrote: >I'm fairly new to exchange server and I have a quick question. I would like >to be able to see all the emails that are sent in one day from my s...

Removal of Exchange 2K from one Site
I have a small remote office that is closing down. They currently have an Exchange 2000 server on a Windows 2000 domain controller. They are in the same domain, but have their own site. I need to remove their Exchange Server and then remove that AD site. I think I need to do the following in regards to the Exchange portion. -Disconnect the mailboxes for users on that server. -Remove the connectors between the two sites. -Run Exchange Setup and remove exchange server and any installed options. -Remove the Exchange Server from Active Directory in Exchange System Manager. Is that right? Is...

Can i selectively forward email to external recipient with Exchange 2003 ?
Im migrating my clients to exchange 2003 from a hosted pop3 setup. They have the standard info@example.com & sales@example.com email accounts that go to multiple mailboxes. I created a distribution list and that works all well and good. However, my clients also use blackberry (no enterprise server here) and im going to setup forwards to each of their mailboxes using contacts in ADUC, so they can get a copy of their email to their blackberry as well. Ok - well here is the wrinkle... They only want the main email account (i.e - bob@example.com) to be sent to their blackberry devices and...

Unable to remove Exchange 5.5 from exchange organization
Hoping someone can help me. I've scoured the web for help and seen this issue posted before but never a good answer. We had exchange 5.5 on server1. We installed Exchange 2003 on server2. Everything was migrated, everything was/is working fine on server2. I uninstalled Exchange5.5 from server1. I uninstalled ADC. I cannot remove Exchange 5.5 from System Manager 2003. From within System Mgr 2003 when I expand administrative groups->org->folders->public folders->system configuration. The "replication" of SYSTEM CONFIGURATION shows both servers. When I clic...

Can I use a PST file similar to an Exchange server?
I want to be able to access a single PST file from multiple computers locatd in different cities. I can only be in one place at a time so there will only be one person using the PST file at any given time. Is this possible? Thanks Howard Only when you travel with your pst-file or when you access the computer holding the pst-file with Remote Desktop. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "HL649" <Howard@Larsens.ca> wrote in message ...

Exchange 5.5 Distribution Lists #2
We have a mixed mode Exchange Org (Exchange 5.5/2000) and when I use Exchange Admin to change the ownership of a distribution list, the permissions are not updated automatically. I have to manually go into the Permissions tab and give that person the ability to add members. If I don't make this manual change, then this information is not synchronized to AD correctly. Is this an Exchange Administrator thing? ...

Moving Exchange Database
Hello, On our SBS2003 Premium SP1 system I somehow made a mess of things when installing Exchange server. After the install I changed the driveletters and Exchange server expects the databases at drive F: which is now the CD drive. When trying to move the files to the E: drive I get an errormsg stating that de files are corrupt. Can somebody please direct me in the right direction. Thanks in advance Dieter Visser -- Had ik maar naar mijn moeder geluisterd, dan had ik een echt vak geleerd... "Dieter Visser" <bsd@nospam.nl> wrote in news:#uVmrpEiFHA.3260@TK2MSFTNGP1...

Slow Response time after server move to AD
I've recently moved my Windows 2003 Server running GP 8.0 from a stand alone server on a Novell network to a member server in Active Directory. The response time from client computers has slowed drastically. It also ocurred when the clients were part of Active Directory and the sevrer was still a stand alone (workgroup). Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be slowing the response time of GP, primarily on customer screens. Thanks! Ben DeGennaro ...

Server rules & smtp
I have an issue where inbound messages from external senders are not converting the smtp address to an Exchange server address format. The only kb article I have found is article # 218269. It was not very helpfull. This is breaking forwarding rules and I need to fix. Any help is appreciated. ...

Exchange 2007 OWA redirect Q
Dear all, How do I in Exchange 2007 OWA redirect url http://mail.company.com to https://mail.company.com/owa ? Thanks. Regards, Kueh. "KA Kueh" <kka@ksm.com.my> wrote in message news:eEXEBfdPHHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Dear all, > > How do I in Exchange 2007 OWA redirect url http://mail.company.com to > https://mail.company.com/owa ? Thanks. > > Regards, > Kueh. Try this, but wherever it says 'Exchange', use 'OWA' instead: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319878/ Lee. -- _______________________________________ Outlook...

Monitoring Exchange
I have over 30,000 plus users. What is a good monitoring tool for exchange to handle these many users. I have worked only in small enviorments. from a small enviorment. Also i have 15 exchange servers Thank You There's no single tool that fits all requirements, imho. It helps to define the requirements for monitoring (servers, applications, network) and reporting. Most sysadmins also have personal preferences of interface/usability/capabilities, imho.. (..it's almost like buying a car). Having said that, Argent Guardian, MOM & Mercury SiteScope are some of the popular one...