No more BadMail after applying E2K3 SP1?

After applying Exchange 2003 SP1 to one of our gateway servers, I
observe 24 hours later that there are no messages in BadMail. Not
usually something I'd complain about, but it is unusual.

Prior to applying the service pack, I cleaned up this directory. There
were almost half million entries there, testimony to the fact that we
ordinarily get a thousand BadMail entries a day typically. The
directory was so large that I had to use command line del *.* to
accomplish the task. The directory itself appears to be fine and I can
create files there without problem.

The server is routing messages just fine. I attempted to generate
something for BadMail by sending a message from bogus1 @ mycompany.com
to bogus2 @ mycompany.com. Message tracking properly showed that an
NDR was generated. But I would expect that NDR to end up in BadMail,
but it did not.

No, there are no scripts cleaning this directory, not has there been
any change in security on the folder to keep BadMail from being
generated .. unless SP1 did that ,which I don't believe it did.

By golly you seem to be correct, I haven't had any either.  Finally they
made it stop doing that.

"Kevin" <anonymous@post.ing> wrote in message
> After applying Exchange 2003 SP1 to one of our gateway servers, I
> observe 24 hours later that there are no messages in BadMail. Not
> usually something I'd complain about, but it is unusual.
>
> Prior to applying the service pack, I cleaned up this directory. There
> were almost half million entries there, testimony to the fact that we
> ordinarily get a thousand BadMail entries a day typically. The
> directory was so large that I had to use command line del *.* to
> accomplish the task. The directory itself appears to be fine and I can
> create files there without problem.
>
> The server is routing messages just fine. I attempted to generate
> something for BadMail by sending a message from bogus1 @ mycompany.com
> to bogus2 @ mycompany.com. Message tracking properly showed that an
> NDR was generated. But I would expect that NDR to end up in BadMail,
> but it did not.
>
> No, there are no scripts cleaning this directory, not has there been
> any change in security on the folder to keep BadMail from being
> generated .. unless SP1 did that ,which I don't believe it did.

0
selphj (13)
6/17/2004 2:42:52 PM
So you also had BadMail aplenty before SP1, but none since? So maybe
this is by design? If so, that's great .. but it seems odd that they'd
keep BadMail from getting generated, and then also release a script to
keep the directory clean and documentation for how to turn off
BadMail.

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:42:52 -0500, "Wild Man ^^" <selphj@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>By golly you seem to be correct, I haven't had any either.  Finally they
>made it stop doing that.
>
>"Kevin" <anonymous@post.ing> wrote in message
>> After applying Exchange 2003 SP1 to one of our gateway servers, I
>> observe 24 hours later that there are no messages in BadMail. Not
>> usually something I'd complain about, but it is unusual.
>>
>> Prior to applying the service pack, I cleaned up this directory. There
>> were almost half million entries there, testimony to the fact that we
>> ordinarily get a thousand BadMail entries a day typically. The
>> directory was so large that I had to use command line del *.* to
>> accomplish the task. The directory itself appears to be fine and I can
>> create files there without problem.
>>
>> The server is routing messages just fine. I attempted to generate
>> something for BadMail by sending a message from bogus1 @ mycompany.com
>> to bogus2 @ mycompany.com. Message tracking properly showed that an
>> NDR was generated. But I would expect that NDR to end up in BadMail,
>> but it did not.
>>
>> No, there are no scripts cleaning this directory, not has there been
>> any change in security on the folder to keep BadMail from being
>> generated .. unless SP1 did that ,which I don't believe it did.

Kevin -

There is a change in the default Badmail archiving behavior in SP1. There
will be a KB on this shortly, but in the meantime, please see my blog
posting for more detail:
http://blogs.msdn.com/evand/archive/2004/06/18/159573.aspx

--
Evan Dodds
Microsoft Exchange Support

****** Disclaimer ******

Note: Please do not reply to this e-mail address. It is used for newsgroup
purposes only.

> So you also had BadMail aplenty before SP1, but none since? So maybe
> this is by design? If so, that's great .. but it seems odd that they'd
> keep BadMail from getting generated, and then also release a script to
> keep the directory clean and documentation for how to turn off
> BadMail.
>
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 09:42:52 -0500, "Wild Man ^^" <selphj@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>By golly you seem to be correct, I haven't had any either.  Finally they
>>made it stop doing that.
>>
>>"Kevin" <anonymous@post.ing> wrote in message
>>> After applying Exchange 2003 SP1 to one of our gateway servers, I
>>> observe 24 hours later that there are no messages in BadMail. Not
>>> usually something I'd complain about, but it is unusual.
>>>
>>> Prior to applying the service pack, I cleaned up this directory. There
>>> were almost half million entries there, testimony to the fact that we
>>> ordinarily get a thousand BadMail entries a day typically. The
>>> directory was so large that I had to use command line del *.* to
>>> accomplish the task. The directory itself appears to be fine and I can
>>> create files there without problem.
>>>
>>> The server is routing messages just fine. I attempted to generate
>>> something for BadMail by sending a message from bogus1 @ mycompany.com
>>> to bogus2 @ mycompany.com. Message tracking properly showed that an
>>> NDR was generated. But I would expect that NDR to end up in BadMail,
>>> but it did not.
>>>
>>> No, there are no scripts cleaning this directory, not has there been
>>> any change in security on the folder to keep BadMail from being
>>> generated .. unless SP1 did that ,which I don't believe it did.

0
evand (114)

Apply a workflow rule manually to many activities
Hello I've make a very simple workflow rule to close the meeting (i don't know if it's the correct word in english but it's rendez vous in french;) ) which they have the end date < actual date. But i can only apply this rule after opening the meeting then i can close directly the meeting. My aim is to apply this rule to a selection of meeting but in the meeting view (and other activities views) there is not the menu "more actions" with the command "apply rule". has something a tips to add this command? Thanks Clark ------=_NextPart_0001_1B74402D ...

looking for advice Regarding badmail directory
I have a client that has an Exhcnage 2003 server they setup about 3 months ago. They have SMTP partially configured. There server was running really really slow and they called me up to help. I noticed that CPU utilization is like between 3 and 4%. Yet in running perfmon and looking at disk queues, they were at 100%. I found by stopping the SMTP service, that disk queues went down to normal (and the HDD LED also went back to normal as opposed to being constantly lit. to make a long story short: They had Open Relay on their SMTP service. The queues were loaded up. i moved the smtp mailroo...

Exchange 2003 SP1
I'm trying to grant multiple users (2) "Send As" permissions on an Exchange mailbox to no avail. I have given the users individual Full mailbox access, and/or specific Send As permissions per MS KB HowTo's, however the same insufficient rights error occurs when they try to Send As. I also tried adding the security group with specific and full mailbox rights to no avail. I am a domain admin and by default, I can Send As from anyone's mailbox. Any help is much appreciated. Thx. ...

Administrator freezes after applying sp4
Hello, We are loading sp4 onto our 5.5 exchange server. However afterwards we are able to open the administrator and move around, but when to try to make a change the admin locks-up. Any Ideas? Thanks, Will ...

IMAP Dies With Concurrent Connections [E2K3]
I have an Exchange 2003 server that's been running fine for the past nine months or so, and I decided to turn on IMAP/S and set up a new SMTP/S virtual server. It seems to work fine until there's more than one connection to the same mailbox. For example, if I leave my mail client open at home, I won't be able to retrieve my mail when I open it at work. Restarting IMAP4svc resolves the issue temporarily, but I have a couple of group mailboxes where multiple people would access the same account... so I can't spend my day restarting IMAP ;) Has anyone encountered this? Is...

Exch2003 SP1
Should this SP1 be installed on SBS2003 or is it already installed? On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:48:04 GMT, J B wrote: > Should this SP1 be installed on SBS2003 or is it already installed? It's not already installed and the decision is yours, just be aware there are a few issues when applying the Exchange 2003 SP1 on SBS 2003: More on Exchange SP1 and SBS 2003: http://blogs.msdn.com/canthe/archive/2004/06/09/152279.aspx Smallbizserver.Net > SBS 2003 > Service packs & patches > Exchange 2003: http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=141 EXCHANGE 2k3 SP1: http://...

Badmail Admin
A newbie question on Exchange Administration: I was finally able to move some of the databases from C to another partition in my SBS 2003 installation. I am still a few gigs short of where I want to be. I came across BadMail deletion in Exchange 2003 as a possible solution to my hard drive problem and sure enough, I found about 18,000 or so *.BAD files when I did a search. I downloaded the "badmailadmin" script and proceeded to run it in verbose mode. The script executed and went trough several steps until it got to the following message on the screen: OK: Get badmail Fol...

PM Apply node for eConnect
Create a PM Apply node for eConnect, similar to the functionality in the RM Apply node, but for payables. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=b336a1cc-504a-4cc8...

After Office 2003 SP1 outlook cannot access public folders
After installing Office 2003 SP1, Outlook is unable to access public folders on an exchange 2000 server. The user's own mailbox is accessable on the same server. Anyone else having this problem? any suggestions? -DDixon ...

Bordering issue- master or apply all?
Hi I am working on one large spreadsheet so I was wondering if there was way to create a border around each page without having to do i manually for every page?? Is their some sort of master view o something along those lines? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi AFAIK this is not possible within Excel -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "jkb724 >" <<jkb724.19r909@excelforum-nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:jkb724.19r909@excelforum-nospam.com... > Hi > > I am working on one large spreadsheet so I was wondering if there ...

Apply that correction pack that came from the MS Corporation
--wzmvqdlejkpfbi Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="hrdejcdymuiktpv"; type="multipart/alternative" --hrdejcdymuiktpv Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="aogxmmrjkda" --aogxmmrjkda Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft User this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now ...

Latest version of ExBPA does not work with SP1
Hello, After installing W2K3 SP1, our latest version of ExBPA gives the following errors: This link is for all server: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Analyzer/18814786-c925-4ea8-bcd5-2d57174f326f.mspx This link is only for specific servers: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/Analyzer/fa727882-9fdd-4664-9d49-f0ef95193b49.mspx Are these articles the only thing that must be done to make this tool work properly? Why does W2K3 SP1 break this? Thanks, Exchange2003 On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 10:05:02 -0800, Exchange2003 <Exchange2003@discussions.microso...

how do I write a letter of intent for applying for a job?
I am applying for a teaching position and the school requires a "letter of intent." I know what generally the school is asking for but I need a template or advice how to write it. Any suggestions? Thanks!-Cath On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:32:00 -0700, Cath <Cath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am applying for a teaching position and the school requires a "letter of >intent." I know what generally the school is asking for but I need a >template or advice how to write it. Any suggestions? Thanks!-Cath You're asking in the wrong place. This newsg...

Payment partially applied
Here is the scenario in regard to partially applied (GP 8.0 / SQL Server 2000): 1) Create a payable invoice to a vendor (INVOICE 1) 2) Apply payment PAYMENT 1 to INVOICE 1 3) Void PAYMENT 1 4) INVOICE 1 has Open status with balance of zero; therefore 5) Create a new invoice, INVOICE 2, for the same vendor 6) Apply new payment PAYMENT 2 to INVOICE 2 without error. To close the book, I need to have INVOICE 1 with History status instead of Open status. I even tried to create a dummy credit memo, but it indicated the invoice already been paid in full. How do I close INVOICE 1 or change the...

Applying catagories to multiple transactions
anyone one know how to apply a category (say automobile:gasoline) to multiple transactions? this is money 2003 deluxe edition. thanks! I use Money 2002 but I bet it hasn't changed. No super quick way. Make sure Tools -> Options -> Editing -> Auto Complete is on. If all the transactions are to the same payee, then enter one complete transaction to this payee. Start to re-enter the same payee name on each of the remaining transations. Money shoud fill out the rest, including catagories. re-save each transaction. >-----Original Message----- >anyone one know ho...

Apply template to new drawing with multiple pages
HI, I have one template. and its working perfectly fine for new drawing with single page. But when I try to insert new page in a drawing, new page doesn't show me temaplate setting (some text and few text blocks) as it does in first page. Please let me know what is problem or there are some setting which I am missing here? Thanks pryank New pages do not have all of the settings from existing pages included in them. One way to work around this is to write a macro to copy your specific settings over. -- Mark Nelson Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with n...

Badmail directory
Exchange 2003: Is there a Microsoft Supported method to bypass messages goint to the badmail directory? I would rather make a configuration change to the server (once) that would simply "nuke" all badmail so that I do not need some other process or procedure to periodically purge the files in the badmail folder. Thanks Rob "Rob Drummond" <robd@magma.ca> wrote: >Exchange 2003: >Is there a Microsoft Supported method to bypass messages >goint to the badmail directory? Nope. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swi...

Payments And Apply To Invoices Due
I have a quesiton regarding GP - in what case does a payment is created for an invoice - lets's say we want to pay many invoices at the same time that are due to be paid - in that case, does a separate payment needs to be created for each invoice to be paid and in that case if a separate payment is created for each invoice to be paid, in that case, do we have to apply the payment to that specific invoice and do we post the payment after that (I assume after it is applied to the specific invoice although I am not sure about that) - for instance when the Computer Check Entry Batch is...

Exchange 2003 Migration Wizard after SP1
Hi... I have been progressively migrating multiple domains from an old failing server to a new 2003 server. This has been working fine. The method I was using was to locate all the users in a domain and use the wizard to export to file. Then from the new 2003 server I would import from the files, and activate the accounts and a few settings, and all went well. Now after SP1. This process fails. The new accounts created on the new server come in with no account name information. When I place the account name, reset the password I still cannot access the account. When I try to access the acc...

Error message: " no more new fonts may be applied to this workbook
I am getting the above message while creating a large number of charts in a workbook. What does it mean? If I "OK" through them I am allowed to complete my task. Hi see: "No more new fonts may be added" http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;215573 -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mike Bowman wrote: > I am getting the above message while creating a large number of > charts in a workbook. What does it mean? If I "OK" through them I > am allowed to complete my task. ...

BadMail
Normally anything that shows up in the BadMail folder I delete, but currently I have an email in this folder with an attachment that I need. How do I retrieve this email? Thanks, Enrique Open it up, look for the TO: line, change it to your SMTP address, drop it in the PICKUP directory. Without testing that, I think that would be a quick-and-dirty way of doing it. -tom --- "Enrique" <enrique@avertinc.com> wrote in message news:07b201c3d3a0$60d5ac70$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Normally anything that shows up in the BadMail folder I > delete, but currently I have an email ...

Money Plus crashes on Vista SP1 x64
I recently selfhosting SP1 and unistalled 2005 and installed money 2008 but when i try to start it, the application dies Event 1000: Faulting application msmoney.exe, version 17.0.0.724, time stamp 0x46a6d80b, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, time stamp 0x00000000, exception code 0xc000001d, fault offset 0x02872887, process id 0xcf0, application start time 0x01c809e3d7ca3d0a. Event 1001: Fault bucket 532720715, type 1 Event Name: APPCRASH Response: None Cab Id: 0 Problem signature: P1: msmoney.exe P2: 17.0.0.724 P3: 46a6d80b P4: StackHash_22ef P5: 0.0.0.0 P6: 00000000 P7: c0000...

Cannot relay internal network host to E2K3
Cross post, please bear with me: I need to relay an internal server off E2K3 (SP1) for an app (BackupExec 8.6). Just isn't happening, even though I have double checked following relay settings: 1)Accept List in Global Settings (MessageDelivery) 2)Default SMTP Virtual Server Settings: The specific host is included in the list allowed to relay. All other mail is working just fine. Mail sent to the Internet from OL clients work fine, as is incoming mail. * This relay setting used to work without any problems. * I have even tried this with another internal host, no go * I've tried taki...

Badmail how to
Hopefully somebody is able to assist, if somebody sends an email with attachment to us and spells the name incorrectly, we get a NDR which displays the attachment name buit can somebody tell me how to retrieve the original email and attachment. The badmail folder just contains mostly garbage with no attachments Help Please Regards Use MIME decoding tool to get attachments and message text. Total Commander can do MIME decoding. Phil wrote: > Hopefully somebody is able to assist, if somebody sends > an email with attachment to us and spells the name > incorrectly, we get a NDR...

Local access right to "Public folders -> Favorites" after applying O2K3 SP2
Hi there, Previously with o2k3sp1 running on wxpsp2, in ol2003 cache mode, after adding public folders to Favorites, I can "save as" the email to local harddisk as msg file, after email saved I can delete it from my "favorites", in which did not affect the original public folder as the email stil there. However after install o2k3 sp2, for public folders in "favorites" found that I cannot "save as" msg file, prompted "you don't have appropriate permission to perform this operation", I cannot "delete" the meail in public fold...