No e-mail in remote sites sometimes, but main location is fine.

About twice a week now, all of my three remote branch city sites will fail to
allow Outlook clients to communicate with the Exchange Server, but the main
HQ site works fine.
It can happen out of the blue, and there are no entries in the Event Viewer
after it happens. My only fix is to reboot the Exchange Server.
I can ping the Exchange Server by name from the affected branch store PC's,
and it comes back correctly, but will not allow e-mail.
Internet, databases programs, and printers all work fine during this,
showing that the networking is OK just not e-mail.
Exchange 2003 Server on Windows 2003 Server; One domain, four subnets (one
for each city); Cisco routers in each site.
--
Rick Rutledge
Network Admin

What error do the clients get ?
You could try using rpcping to see what response you get, rpcping is
available on the Exchange server I believe. If not then it is on the Windows
2003 resource kit tools.
Anything logged in the application event log.
Does it affect all clients in all of the remote sites at the same time ?

Regards

Paul Ford
Edge IT Ltd

"rickeolis" <rickeolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> About twice a week now, all of my three remote branch city sites will fail
> allow Outlook clients to communicate with the Exchange Server, but the
> main
> HQ site works fine.
> It can happen out of the blue, and there are no entries in the Event
> Viewer
> after it happens. My only fix is to reboot the Exchange Server.
> I can ping the Exchange Server by name from the affected branch store
> PC's,
> and it comes back correctly, but will not allow e-mail.
> Internet, databases programs, and printers all work fine during this,
> showing that the networking is OK just not e-mail.
> Exchange 2003 Server on Windows 2003 Server; One domain, four subnets (one
> for each city); Cisco routers in each site.
> --
> Rick Rutledge
> Network Admin

0
paulford1 (138)
7/27/2005 10:02:47 PM
The clients do not get an error, but if they were in Outlook at the time it
stops, their Outlook freezes totally. If they were not in Outlook, it will
not open for them, but instead simply freezes at the Outlook splash screen.
There are NO event viewer messages at all when this happens. I tried to
configure Exchange to list more LDAP and other related messages, but none
display related to this problem.
During this time, the local city sees no problems at all. Outlook works fine
here! Thanks-
--
Rick Rutledge
Network Admin

"Paul Ford" wrote:

> What error do the clients get ?
> You could try using rpcping to see what response you get, rpcping is
> available on the Exchange server I believe. If not then it is on the Windows
> 2003 resource kit tools.
> Anything logged in the application event log.
> Does it affect all clients in all of the remote sites at the same time ?
>
> Regards
>
> Paul Ford
> Edge IT Ltd
>
> "rickeolis" <rickeolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > About twice a week now, all of my three remote branch city sites will fail
> > allow Outlook clients to communicate with the Exchange Server, but the
> > main
> > HQ site works fine.
> > It can happen out of the blue, and there are no entries in the Event
> > Viewer
> > after it happens. My only fix is to reboot the Exchange Server.
> > I can ping the Exchange Server by name from the affected branch store
> > PC's,
> > and it comes back correctly, but will not allow e-mail.
> > Internet, databases programs, and printers all work fine during this,
> > showing that the networking is OK just not e-mail.
> > Exchange 2003 Server on Windows 2003 Server; One domain, four subnets (one
> > for each city); Cisco routers in each site.
> > --
> > Rick Rutledge
> > Network Admin

0
rickeolis (5)
7/27/2005 10:25:04 PM
Anyone?????

--
Rick Rutledge
Network Admin

"rickeolis" wrote:

> The clients do not get an error, but if they were in Outlook at the time it
> stops, their Outlook freezes totally. If they were not in Outlook, it will
> not open for them, but instead simply freezes at the Outlook splash screen.
> There are NO event viewer messages at all when this happens. I tried to
> configure Exchange to list more LDAP and other related messages, but none
> display related to this problem.
> During this time, the local city sees no problems at all. Outlook works fine
> here! Thanks-
> --
> Rick Rutledge
> Network Admin
>

> "Paul Ford" wrote:
>

> > What error do the clients get ?
> > You could try using rpcping to see what response you get, rpcping is
> > available on the Exchange server I believe. If not then it is on the Windows
> > 2003 resource kit tools.
> > Anything logged in the application event log.
> > Does it affect all clients in all of the remote sites at the same time ?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Paul Ford
> > Edge IT Ltd
> >
> > "rickeolis" <rickeolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > About twice a week now, all of my three remote branch city sites will fail
> > > allow Outlook clients to communicate with the Exchange Server, but the
> > > main
> > > HQ site works fine.
> > > It can happen out of the blue, and there are no entries in the Event
> > > Viewer
> > > after it happens. My only fix is to reboot the Exchange Server.
> > > I can ping the Exchange Server by name from the affected branch store
> > > PC's,
> > > and it comes back correctly, but will not allow e-mail.
> > > Internet, databases programs, and printers all work fine during this,
> > > showing that the networking is OK just not e-mail.
> > > Exchange 2003 Server on Windows 2003 Server; One domain, four subnets (one
> > > for each city); Cisco routers in each site.
> > > --
> > > Rick Rutledge
> > > Network Admin

0
rickeolis (5)
7/28/2005 2:01:06 PM

Can you narrow this down to particular times of the day ?
What happens if you use rpcping when the issue occurs ? Have you used
rpcping before ?

Regards

Paul

> The clients do not get an error, but if they were in Outlook at the time
> it
> stops, their Outlook freezes totally. If they were not in Outlook, it will
> not open for them, but instead simply freezes at the Outlook splash
> screen.
> There are NO event viewer messages at all when this happens. I tried to
> configure Exchange to list more LDAP and other related messages, but none
> display related to this problem.
> During this time, the local city sees no problems at all. Outlook works
> fine
> here! Thanks-
> --
> Rick Rutledge
> Network Admin
>

> "Paul Ford" wrote:
>

>> What error do the clients get ?
>> You could try using rpcping to see what response you get, rpcping is
>> available on the Exchange server I believe. If not then it is on the
>> Windows
>> 2003 resource kit tools.
>> Anything logged in the application event log.
>> Does it affect all clients in all of the remote sites at the same time ?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Paul Ford
>> Edge IT Ltd
>>
>> "rickeolis" <rickeolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > About twice a week now, all of my three remote branch city sites will
>> > fail
>> > allow Outlook clients to communicate with the Exchange Server, but the
>> > main
>> > HQ site works fine.
>> > It can happen out of the blue, and there are no entries in the Event
>> > Viewer
>> > after it happens. My only fix is to reboot the Exchange Server.
>> > I can ping the Exchange Server by name from the affected branch store
>> > PC's,
>> > and it comes back correctly, but will not allow e-mail.
>> > Internet, databases programs, and printers all work fine during this,
>> > showing that the networking is OK just not e-mail.
>> > Exchange 2003 Server on Windows 2003 Server; One domain, four subnets
>> > (one
>> > for each city); Cisco routers in each site.
>> > --
>> > Rick Rutledge
>> > Network Admin

0
paulford1 (138)
7/28/2005 6:52:16 PM
Hi Paul, thanks. Yes I have been logging the incidents down as they happen,
but it has been at random. Sometimes it stops in the middle of the night, but
sometimes during the day. The day of the week is random as well.
I have not used rpcping, and based on your previous suggestion it tried it
but I guess I don't have it installed. I can find it on the support CD and
install it if it will help though.
--
Rick Rutledge
Network Admin

"Paul Ford" wrote:

> Can you narrow this down to particular times of the day ?
> What happens if you use rpcping when the issue occurs ? Have you used
> rpcping before ?
>
> Regards
>
> Paul
>

> "rickeolis" <rickeolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The clients do not get an error, but if they were in Outlook at the time
> > it
> > stops, their Outlook freezes totally. If they were not in Outlook, it will
> > not open for them, but instead simply freezes at the Outlook splash
> > screen.
> > There are NO event viewer messages at all when this happens. I tried to
> > configure Exchange to list more LDAP and other related messages, but none
> > display related to this problem.
> > During this time, the local city sees no problems at all. Outlook works
> > fine
> > here! Thanks-
> > --
> > Rick Rutledge
> > Network Admin
> >

> > "Paul Ford" wrote:
> >

> >> What error do the clients get ?
> >> You could try using rpcping to see what response you get, rpcping is
> >> available on the Exchange server I believe. If not then it is on the
> >> Windows
> >> 2003 resource kit tools.
> >> Anything logged in the application event log.
> >> Does it affect all clients in all of the remote sites at the same time ?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Paul Ford
> >> Edge IT Ltd
> >>
> >> "rickeolis" <rickeolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
rickeolis (5)
7/28/2005 7:26:01 PM

I would suggest running rpc ping so we can see if rpc traffic is getting
through to the Exchange server.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;167260 has some
details but I dont know how appropriate it is to Exchange 2003.
What hardware is the Exchange server running on ?
What version of Windows and Outlook do the clients run ? Have a look at
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325967
What Windows and Exchange service pack is the Exchange server running on ?

Paul

> Hi Paul, thanks. Yes I have been logging the incidents down as they
> happen,
> but it has been at random. Sometimes it stops in the middle of the night,
> but
> sometimes during the day. The day of the week is random as well.
> I have not used rpcping, and based on your previous suggestion it tried it
> but I guess I don't have it installed. I can find it on the support CD and
> install it if it will help though.
> --
> Rick Rutledge
> Network Admin
>

> "Paul Ford" wrote:
>

>> Can you narrow this down to particular times of the day ?
>> What happens if you use rpcping when the issue occurs ? Have you used
>> rpcping before ?
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> "rickeolis" <rickeolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The clients do not get an error, but if they were in Outlook at the
>> > time
>> > it
>> > stops, their Outlook freezes totally. If they were not in Outlook, it
>> > will
>> > not open for them, but instead simply freezes at the Outlook splash
>> > screen.
>> > There are NO event viewer messages at all when this happens. I tried to
>> > configure Exchange to list more LDAP and other related messages, but
>> > none
>> > display related to this problem.
>> > During this time, the local city sees no problems at all. Outlook works
>> > fine
>> > here! Thanks-
>> > --
>> > Rick Rutledge
>> > Network Admin

0
paulford1 (138)
7/28/2005 10:00:50 PM
Thanks Paul,
   I'll install the rpcpcing from my server CD and test it.
   The hardware is a brand new HP ML370 server using dual 3Ghz processors
and 2 GB of RAM. It is not overloaded with software right now.
--
Rick Rutledge
Network Admin

"Paul Ford" wrote:

> I would suggest running rpc ping so we can see if rpc traffic is getting
> through to the Exchange server.
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;167260 has some
> details but I dont know how appropriate it is to Exchange 2003.
> What hardware is the Exchange server running on ?
> What version of Windows and Outlook do the clients run ? Have a look at
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325967
> What Windows and Exchange service pack is the Exchange server running on ?
>
> Paul
>

> "rickeolis" <rickeolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Paul, thanks. Yes I have been logging the incidents down as they
> > happen,
> > but it has been at random. Sometimes it stops in the middle of the night,
> > but
> > sometimes during the day. The day of the week is random as well.
> > I have not used rpcping, and based on your previous suggestion it tried it
> > but I guess I don't have it installed. I can find it on the support CD and
> > install it if it will help though.
> > --
> > Rick Rutledge
> > Network Admin
> >

> > "Paul Ford" wrote:
> >

> >> Can you narrow this down to particular times of the day ?
> >> What happens if you use rpcping when the issue occurs ? Have you used
> >> rpcping before ?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Paul
> >>

> >> "rickeolis" <rickeolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
rickeolis (5)

e-mail #3
I am using Publisher 2007 and and new to using it. I have a newsletter (11"X17" with some graphics) that I print and mail bi-monthly. Is there any way I can create the same file into an e-mail in Outlook or Outlook Express? Any Ideas or suggestions for using other programs instead of those mentioned are appreciated. Papasan PDF attachment? 2007 Microsoft Office Add-in: Microsoft Save as PDF or XPS http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=4D951911-3E7E-4AE6-B059-A2E79ED87041&displaylang=en -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.m...

=SUMPRODUCT((Data1!$B$1:$B$500="March")*(Data1!$C$1:$C$500="New York"),(Data1!$E$1:$E$500))
Hi =SUMPRODUCT((Data1!$B$1:$B$500="March")*(Data1!$C$1:$C$500="New York"), (Data1!$E$1:$E$500)) In plain english the formula above means: Sum cells E1 to E500 (last argument) if in B1 to B500 the value is "March" and if in C1 to C500 the value is "New York". SUMPRODUCT is like SUMIF on steroids and it allows you to automate all these reports that you develop with data that you import from a large centralized database, centralized accounting, manufacturing and sales programs or the Internet. The last argument (preceded by a comma) tells Excel what to...

e ...

Word Mail merge lables from .xls document
Office 2000 Windows XP Pro: I am trying to create Avery 8160 lables in WORD form an Excel database. . My sequence in WORD is as follows. Tools>Mail Merge>Create Main Document>Mailing Lables> Active Window>Get Data>Open Data Source. When I get to into folder that contains the .xls file the only files listed in that folder are WORD files. When I click on the File Type drop down menu at the botton of the OPEN DATA SOURCE window, the only options I have are "All Word Documents", "Word documents", "Web pages", "Rich text format", &qu...

Mailing list
I am making a mailing list of customers addresses. I own a pizzeria and at the end of the night I take the order slips and type the addresses of customers who ordered that day into microsoft word. After a few weeks of doing this I am getting a lot of repeats. How do I avoid this? If you're doing it in Word, make each address its own paragraph, select all the paragraphs, and choose Sort (Word2007: Home tab; Word2003 and earlier, Table menu [they don't need to be in a table]). Then when you want to add a new one, just go to where it would fit in and see if it's alrea...

Outlook Exress
I am using Outlook Express for a separate email account. How can I locate where my datafile is? How can I change the location of my datafile? Thanks Post to the Outlook Express newsgroup news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Christine" <centrol@singnet.com.sg> wrote in message news:hplo7b$5rj$1@mawar.singnet.com.sg... >I am using Outlook Express for a separate email account. > >...

Linking Data from Main Form to Subform
I have created a main form with 4 combo boxes. When data is typed or selected in one of these combo boxes, how do I make it so the information using the selected in the combo boxe show up in my subform. Thanks -- tmdrake On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:16:01 -0700, tmdrake <tmdrake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have created a main form with 4 combo boxes. When data is typed or >selected in one of these combo boxes, how do I make it so the information >using the selected in the combo boxe show up in my subform. > >Thanks It's not one of the options that the wiz...

i dont no how to send a mail could u plz tell me wot to click on
help plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz What do you mean by "send a mail" ? Could you please keep the subjects brief and explain what you would like in as much details as possible please -- iPod's ROCK! "marjan" wrote: > help plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

How do I block messages from one particular e-mail adress?
I dont want to receive e-mails from one certain adress. Is it possible to block those messages? yes. right click an email from them, Junk mail, add to junk senders list -- Regards Judy Gleeson MVP Outlook www.judygleeson.com www.deskdoctors.com Are you sick of bad email practice? Get a copy of my paper "Implementing Email Policy" from the Desk Doctors website. "Marco" <Marco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9517F371-5BC9-46D6-8979-9FB489585258@microsoft.com... >I dont want to receive e-mails from one certain adress. Is it...

out look mail
How do I get my out look mail back to my schools imail accout? On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 14:08:29 -0700, "Donna" <w1239881@imail.losrios.edu> wrote: >How do I get my out look mail back to my schools imail accout? > Ask your school email administrator. Nobody on this volunteer-staffed technical support forum for Microsoft Access databases will be able to help you. You'll also want to change your email address; it's now been published to tens of thousands of computers worldwide, and spammers and junk mailers can and will harvest it to send you SPAM....

How to forward mail from internalmail to external address?
I have internal is user@mydomain.com and want to forward this address to user@hotmail.com in MS-Exchange2003. How can i do? Ask your Exchange administrator to set up a mail-enabled contact for your hotmail account, and use alternate delivery/delivery options on the user@mydomain.com mailbox to send a copy of all inbound mail to the mail-enabled contact. Mark Thailand wrote: > I have internal is user@mydomain.com and want to forward this address > to user@hotmail.com in MS-Exchange2003. How can i do? Mark Thailand <mark@wctcoltd.com> wrote: > I have internal is user@mydomai...

Auto-response e-mail: Generate auto-response e-mail to
How to set-up next feature Auto-response e-mail: Generate auto-response e-mail to customer requests. (MS CRM Overview from MBS site) Ed I have not seen an auto-response feature in CRM. "ed" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0bac01c3b4e3$2ca0d6e0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > How to set-up next feature > Auto-response e-mail: Generate auto-response e-mail to > customer requests. (MS CRM Overview from MBS site) > ...

Attachments in a mail merge document
HI I am trying to do an e-mail merge from Microsoft word. I have been successful with just formatted text. I would like to however, send an attachment along with these emails. I have tried various methods to achieve this, but have not been successful. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Is Outlook 2002 (XP) capable of doing an e-mail merge with attachments? regards, Andrew No. You would have to use a 3rd party mass mailing program if you need to send attachments. Look here for a list of possible programs: http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm#massmail -- ...

URGENT: Mail access issues
Hello: I am having a problem logging into my Outlook mail account on my laptop. I get the following error: "Your logon information was incorrect. Check your username and domain, then type your password again. If your account is new or if your administrator requested a password change you need to click Change Password then logon with your new password." Seems like a straight-forward message, but here is the problem. I can access my mail account when logging on to the client's desktop computer. I should be able to logon to this account from my laptop, just like my co...

The underlying connection was closed: Unable to connect to the remote server.
I created an application where I use the webservices to issue API calls. The first call I issue is the BizUser.WhoAmI. On my test server I installed CRM to localhost:5555 and then added the reference to the webservice. When I went to a customer site who didn't install it at localhost:5555, I get this error. How do I add the reference to my compiled code such that it can find the new address for the webservices? Thanks ...

A program is trying to automatically send e-mail on your behalf...
I'm using Outlook 2002 and a UK Accounts package called Sage. This package allows me to send invoices via email. Everytime I send an email I have to wait 5 seconds before I can click YES, and if I have a lot of invoices to send, this does take quite some time. Is there a way to "override" this setting so that it sends them automatically without asking me? I know the security reasons why this feature is there, its just a hinderance thats all. I do have uptodate virus checking on my emails that will hopefully catch worm viruses trying to send without my knowledge. Anyway, I h...

P L E A S E
Please, could someone help me with "DLL (Resource)" post (some 25 posts below this post). Please. Thank you. "Jan Plastenjak" <none@ms.com> wrote in message news:ewOtE0A3DHA.2700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > > Please, could someone help me with "DLL (Resource)" post (some 25 posts > below this post). Please. What? I'm to search through the newsgroup looking for find your post? I don't think so... Cheers Richard. Jan, I have already answered your post, let me repeat it: "If you go to www.microsoft.com and enter the fo...

Changing window size/location for child process w/.Net
I'd like to start a process and then change the window location and size at various times during its life in a .Net (sans user32.dll). I can get the window handle easy enough but I don't know what to do next to replace the GetWindowRect and MoveWindow DllImports. mediaPlayer.FileName = "mplayer"; mediaPlayer.Start(); mediaPlayer.WaitForInputIdle(); IntPtr hWin = mediaPlayer.MainWindowHandle; GetWindowRect(hWin, out rect); // <- what is ..Net equivalent? MoveWindow(hWin, left, top, width, height, true); // <- what is...

E-Mail Printing Problem
I posted this problem 6 or 8 months ago and have not yet seen a solution. The problem is on certain emails (Schwab Confirms as an Example) about 1" of the right side of the email is cropped. I documented and reported the problem to MSFT and someone from MSFT replied that they were aware of the issue and were working on it. That was many many months ago. The problem is/was not printer dependent or operating system dependant - just Internet Explorer and/or Windows Live Mail. It was apparent at that time that other people were experiencing the same problem. Is anyone aware...

New Mail Desktop Shortcut
Is there a desktop shortcut for creating a new mail message (running Windows XP)? In Windows 2000 there was a shortcut bar with a new mail message icon on it. I'm wondering if there's something similar in XP? Rob D. <RobD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a desktop shortcut for creating a new mail message (running > Windows XP)? In Windows 2000 there was a shortcut bar with a new > mail message icon on it. I'm wondering if there's something similar > in XP? It's easy enough to make one. Open Outlook and search for "command line&qu...

Unable to send via windows mail
Hi everyone, I am having trouble sending via windows mail, one day it was working and then for some reason it doesnt. I can still received email but unable to send. I have all correct settings, I have deleted accunt and re installed account, changed port settings as requested and still get the same error. which is the following The message could not be sent. The authentication setting might not be correct for your outgoing e-mail [SMTP] server. For help solving this problem, go to Help, search for "Troubleshoot Windows Mail", and read the "I'm having problems ...

Co-location of data on tape
Hello everyone I enabled co-location of data on tape about a week ago. This has allowed fewer tapes to be used - 4 versus 6. However, the last tape in the backup set is not being marked as "green tick" offsite ready. It has data from two protection groups on it, and I can see the backup time and expire times. Why is it not marked as offiste ready? Seems when you enable co-location, the last tape in the backup set is left open for a fraction of 0.15 of the retension period of the first tape set written. So, I executed this command, Set-DPMGlobalProperty -DPMServerNa...

"Send to Mail Recipient" icon not working
As you know, in Excel you there is an icon on the Toolbar for "Send to Mail Recipient". For some reason, my icon does not appear. When I select Tools > Customize > Select and drag the Mail Recipient icon to the toolbar, as soon as I close the customize menu box the icon I just dragged to the toolbar disappears. When I click on the little arrow at the end of the toolbar, I do not see it listed under the Customize area (to check or uncheck). Anyone know why this may be happening and how I can get the icon to stay in the toolbar? Also, if I go under File > Send To, ...

auto e-mail checking
Hi guys, I was wondering if someone out there could tell me if there's a way to check for e-mail automatically. What I mean by this is that I would not have to be "clicking" send/receive, each time that I need to check for new e- mail. Thanks in advance. Rudy Tools > Options > Internet E-mail. Check my local network for connections(s) for new mail every ____ minutes. You may also want to check the auto dial button if you're not always online. "Rudy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01b601c3a244$da477da0$a601280a@phx.g...

E-mail Router doesnt get E-mail from Exchange
Hi, I've setup CRM with Exchange E-mail Router successfully until I did either 1 of the following. 1. Disabling E-mail user 2. Change server IP address 3. Installing RAS Does anyone of the above affects Exchange E-mail Router? If not, may i know whether is there any place where i can configure Exchange E-mail Router? Last solution, do you think reinstalling Exchange E-mail Router will help? Any help appreciated. Thanks a lot!! David Loke -------------------------------------------- ReadySpace Network Pte Ltd www.readyspace.com ...