New to exchange #2

Hi,

I have decided to start playing with exchange 2003. I have a network in the
192.168.1.0 subnet  that has two servers in it both domain controllers and
both running win2k server.

I want  to make some prevision for email to the users on the domain after I
have upgraded both servers to 2003.

I use a Linux firewall that also provides a DMZ . The DMZ is used to host a
small web server and is on the 192.168.2.0 subnet, any request to port 80 is
forwarded to the web servers IP address.

What would be the best way to start playing with exchange ? Do I need a mail
relay in the DMZ that push to the exchange in the 192.168.1.0 subnet? Do I
put another network card in the server I want to put exchange on and put it
in the 192.168.2.0 subnet and tell it to only accept the desired ports I
would want  to give the OWA to users from home also.

Where's a good place to get some quick results so as I like to learn as I
go.

Thanks,

James

0
Jim4192 (3)

James,

I would not suggest learning as you go with exchange in a production
environment. Some things it does are irreversible

The first thing you're going to need to do is upgrade the forest schema
isuing the setup /forestprep followed by setup /domainprep on your schema
master. You'll need to be a member of the Schema Admins group to do this.

You can then install Exchange on a server. Exchange likes to have lots of
memory, make sure you have a minimum of 1GB of RAM set aside for it. You'll
also need disk space for the databases and logs. You'll need to be an
enterprise admin to install Exchange.

How you chose to design the mailflow is really a question of how your
organization is designed. From what I see in your post, I'd recommend simply
NATing ports 25 and 80 to the Exchange box, and using the builtin SMTP:

For SMTP you need to make sure the relay settings are set to allow only the
Exchange server to relay.

For OWA, you may wish to (I would recommend that you do) purchase an SSL
certificate, and then use OWA forms authentication. You'll need to NAT port
443 on your firewall to do this.

Does this help?

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

"Jim Bob" <Jim@Bob.com> wrote in message news:BD27302C.11D84%Jim@Bob.com...
> Hi,
>
> I have decided to start playing with exchange 2003. I have a network in
the
> 192.168.1.0 subnet  that has two servers in it both domain controllers and
> both running win2k server.
>
> I want  to make some prevision for email to the users on the domain after
> have upgraded both servers to 2003.
>
> I use a Linux firewall that also provides a DMZ . The DMZ is used to host
> small web server and is on the 192.168.2.0 subnet, any request to port 80
is
> forwarded to the web servers IP address.
>
> What would be the best way to start playing with exchange ? Do I need a
mail
> relay in the DMZ that push to the exchange in the 192.168.1.0 subnet? Do I
> put another network card in the server I want to put exchange on and put
it
> in the 192.168.2.0 subnet and tell it to only accept the desired ports I
> would want  to give the OWA to users from home also.
>
> Where's a good place to get some quick results so as I like to learn as I
> go.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

0
desmondb (156)

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Default properties for new folders

automatic selecting the highest cell #2
I'm sorry for being a bit confusing, I did even manage to confus myself, as I gave you wrong directions. Now I've uploaded a picture of my spreadsheet, so hopefully you'r fully able to understand what I want to do. First I would like to explain what this is this is at speardsheet fo value betting. Column B:D are my percentage evaluation for the outcome of an match. Column F:H are odds generated of my evaluation. Column J:L are the bookmakers odds for the same matches Column N:P are the given value (difference between my and th bookmakers odds) a value over 100% indicates that ...

New Email Messages

Exchange MTA Stacks
I run Exchange 2k on Windows Server 2k. MTA stacks crashed yesterday. I cannot get it to start. No specific error. Whe usig the exchange snap in. I get message saying LDAP Provider 80072020. Any Suggestions There must be some kind of error in the application or system log. Check those and send us the event ids: Jasper. The events I get are Event ID 9175....OPenMsgStore. The noteable error is Event ID 125 " A fatal error occured reading a value from directory. NO MTA name was found. Contact tech...." >-----Original Message----- >I run Exchange 2k on Windows Server 2k...

Outlook 2k3 #2
I have an issue with Outloook where i want the calendar to pop up reminders, but it is not, even though all the settings clearly show that it should be bringing pop ups. I checked the advanced options and reminder options and reminders are enabled. any thoughts? wong.br@gmail.com <wong.br@gmail.com> wrote: > I have an issue with Outloook where i want the calendar to pop up > reminders, but it is not, even though all the settings clearly show > that it should be bringing pop ups. I checked the advanced options > and reminder options and reminders are enabled. > > ...

New Location/New setup

Groupwise 6 to Exchange 2003 migration help
Does anyone have any guidance or things I need to watch out for when doing a Groupwise 6 to Exchange 2003 migration? Any help is appreciated. thanks, Jasonj I would start here http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?InCC_hdn=true&QuerySource=gASr_Query&Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&Product=msall&Queryc=Groupwise+6+to+Exchange+2003+migration&Query=Groupwise+6+to+Exchange+2003+migration&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=150&Titles=false&numDays=&InCC=on Jason wrote: > Does anyone have any guidance or things I need to...

CRM and Exchange 2003
Hello all! I searched long and hard for the answer, but as you all know, good info on CRM is hard to find... Here's my issue: We are currently running Exchange 2000, and plan to install CRM. I know about Server 2003 compatability issues, so we are will be installing CRM on Server 2000, and will use SQL Server 2000 as well. However, we are just a small part of a much larger entity who is planning on moving everything to Exchange 2003 VERY soon! So, if everything else stays the same (2000) and we upgrade our Exchange Server to 2003, will CRM get hosed? or will life still be tranq...

Not Enough System Resources to Display Completely #2
I have a spreadsheet with several drop down menus. Depending upon th screen resolution and/or Percent Zoom, I may get a "Not Enough Syste Resources to Display Completely" error when I try to access the dro down menu. At a screen resolution of 1280 by 1024 pixels and a Percent Zoom of 75 in Excel (or higher), I can access all the drop down menus without an problems. If I try decreasing the percent zoom or decreasing the scree resolution, I start getting the "Not Enough System Resources t Display Completely" error messages. I want to distribute this spreadsheet to ot...

How do I activate the new mail button

cleaning up exchange from AD?
I need to delete an exchange 2003 server and i want to make sure that = ALL references to exchange or mail management are deleted from active = directory. How can i do this? Is there some AD cleaning tool out there? Do you have other Exchange servers? As long as this is not the first Exchange server in the org, simply running Exchange setup and choosing Uninstall should do the trick for you. Otherwise, you'll probably want to look at http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Remove-Exchange-server-entire-Exchange-organization.html and keep in mind that the schema has already been extended ...

Style available all sheets new or old

Exchange 5.5 ADC Removal Problem
I installed an exchange 2003 server. I migrated all the data and removed the last 5.5 server. When I run the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer it reports that the 5.5 server still has 2 connection agreements and the server is down and the adc cannot be located. The old server has been decommissioned, rebuilt, and re-deployed in another capacity. What can I do to resolve this? -- Go speed racer! Use AdsiEdit to remove the references to the Exch 5.5 server from AD. This article (the section on removing from AD) will point you in the right direction: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/83...

Adding new pages

Username Rejected on Exchange 5.5
I am using Exchange Server 5.5 and in a sudden all users in my LAN cannot receive or send e-mails. when they try to connect to the exchange server they receive the following error: There was a problem logging onto your mail server.Your User Name was rejected. Account: '<Account name>', Server: '<Server name>', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR unknown username or bad password', Port:110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC91. I've tryied some solutions, even to remove and re-install the exchange server, but no...

New messages comes up in Deleted folder

OWA Address List won't open
We have one user here (maybe more) who cannot open the GAL when using OWA. Clicking 'New' to create and email, then selecting the 'To' button gives the follow error: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Request Url: https://mail.mydomain.com:443/owa/forms/premium/DirectoryView.aspx?ae=AddressList&t=Recipients&a=Pick User host address: xx.xx.194.13 User: A.User EX Address: /o=My Domain/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=user SMTP Address: user@mydomain.com OWA version: 8.0.685.24 Mail...

Outlook Express 6 loosing e-mail after reading & 2 copies
I read my email and then I switch to another folder SENT/Trash etc... I go back to my INBOX and my email is gone. Does anyone know why? I also have another problem. When I check for new email I get 2 copies of every one. Any body know why? Thanks in advance, Bill This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 & 2002 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5....