New domain suffix for Exchange 5.5

Hi everyone,

We are changing our company name so I need to set up
Exchange 5.5 to recieve email with our orignal domain
suffix and the new one (user@oldname.com and
user@newname.com).

I've tried to add the new domain suffix to the IMS
routing table, but the problem is that when I went to the
IMS routing tab, I saw our current domain listed with the
<inbound> for the routing, but the "Do not reroute
incoming SMTP mail" radio button was selected.

If that's the set up, what are my options?  And for that
matter, how is it that the current domain name is listed
in the table, if the table is not in use?

Thanks,
Brad
0
anonymous (74717)

"Brad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi everyone,
>
>We are changing our company name so I need to set up
>Exchange 5.5 to recieve email with our orignal domain
>suffix and the new one (user@oldname.com and
>user@newname.com).
>
>I've tried to add the new domain suffix to the IMS
>routing table, but the problem is that when I went to the
>IMS routing tab, I saw our current domain listed with the
><inbound> for the routing, but the "Do not reroute
>incoming SMTP mail" radio button was selected.
>
>If that's the set up, what are my options?  And for that
>matter, how is it that the current domain name is listed
>in the table, if the table is not in use?
>
>Thanks,
>Brad

Since you're changing rather than just adding a new one, I would put
the new domain into the IMS and route inbound on it.   Then export the
address list (through Exchange Admin)      Then change the primary
address (Site Addressing Object) to the new domain and propogate it
out to all objects.     Then do another directory export.    Then
modify the CSV you exported earlier as per
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;155594, merge
the necessary fields and re-import it.
All users will then have two addresses, the new one will be primary
and the old one will be an additional address.

Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.org
mark7219 (5666)
4/1/2004 2:51:47 PM
Why do the export import? Route the new domain to inbound, change the old
domain to <route to this domain (new domain)> and change the SMTP addressing
at the Site level, applying to all mailboxes... Sent mail has new address as
reply-to, but all mail is accepted.
--
hth,
SusanV

> "Brad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone,
> >
> >We are changing our company name so I need to set up
> >Exchange 5.5 to recieve email with our orignal domain
> >suffix and the new one (user@oldname.com and
> >user@newname.com).
> >
> >I've tried to add the new domain suffix to the IMS
> >routing table, but the problem is that when I went to the
> >IMS routing tab, I saw our current domain listed with the
> ><inbound> for the routing, but the "Do not reroute
> >incoming SMTP mail" radio button was selected.
> >
> >If that's the set up, what are my options?  And for that
> >matter, how is it that the current domain name is listed
> >in the table, if the table is not in use?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Brad
>
> Since you're changing rather than just adding a new one, I would put
> the new domain into the IMS and route inbound on it.   Then export the
> address list (through Exchange Admin)      Then change the primary
> address (Site Addressing Object) to the new domain and propogate it
> out to all objects.     Then do another directory export.    Then
> modify the CSV you exported earlier as per
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;155594, merge
> the necessary fields and re-import it.
> All users will then have two addresses, the new one will be primary
> and the old one will be an additional address.
>
> Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.org
> FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm &
> http:http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq.htm

0
svanallen (210)
4/1/2004 3:00:10 PM
There was a reason I didn't suggest that course of action, but I'm
blowed if I can recall why.

Anyway, yours is the best way unless the user want to do a reply than
needs to come from a specific domain (using Ivasoft) in the short term
or something, but that's unlikely.

Stop rambling Mark.

M.

"Susan VanAllen [MVP]" <svanallen@nospam-mvps.org> wrote:

>Why do the export import? Route the new domain to inbound, change the old
>domain to <route to this domain (new domain)> and change the SMTP addressing
>at the Site level, applying to all mailboxes... Sent mail has new address as
>reply-to, but all mail is accepted.

Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.org
mark7219 (5666)
4/1/2004 3:31:04 PM
Hi Mark,
I figured you had a reason, which is why I asked     ;-)
Re-reading the original post, he says reroute smtp mail radio button is not
enabled - would this have to be enabled? (can't remember if the routing box
is reliant upon that setting offhand)

If so, then using routing restrictions to allow only authenticated users
would keep the server relay-free...

> There was a reason I didn't suggest that course of action, but I'm
> blowed if I can recall why.
>
> Anyway, yours is the best way unless the user want to do a reply than
> needs to come from a specific domain (using Ivasoft) in the short term
> or something, but that's unlikely.
>
> Stop rambling Mark.
>
> M.
>
> "Susan VanAllen [MVP]" <svanallen@nospam-mvps.org> wrote:
>
> >Why do the export import? Route the new domain to inbound, change the old
> >domain to <route to this domain (new domain)> and change the SMTP
addressing
> >at the Site level, applying to all mailboxes... Sent mail has new address
as
> >reply-to, but all mail is accepted.
>

> Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.org
> FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm &
> http:http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq.htm

0
svanallen (210)
4/1/2004 3:36:39 PM
Thanks Susan and Mark for your help. What I'm looking for
is this:  user@newdomain (reply address) and
user@olddomain (to continue to receive these old emails.

The thing is, I want to use the IMS to reroute, but I'm
afraid of setting it up to function as a relay.  I've
heard that all you have to do is use routing
restricitions and put a check in box next to "Host and
clients with these IP addresses" and leave the table
empty.  The only problem is that I'm not sure if this
will work.  We have SP3 for exchange but at the time we
only did a selective upgrade (certain components of
SP3).  How can I make sure that the IMS is up to the task?

Thanks.

wrote:

>> >Why do the export import? Route the new domain to
inbound, change the old
>> >domain to <route to this domain (new domain)> and
change the SMTP
>addressing
>> >at the Site level, applying to all mailboxes... Sent
mail has new address
>as
>> >reply-to, but all mail is accepted.
>>

>> Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.org
>> FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm &
>> http:http://www.swinc.com/resource/e2kfaq.htm
>

>.

0
anonymous (74717)
4/1/2004 7:50:49 PM
The IMS has been able to block relaying since SP1, and nothing in that
component has changed since that release. I would recommend you upgrade to
SP4 for other fixes included, but nothing relevant to this scenario. When
you set it to reroute, click on the routing restrictions at the bottom and
select only the top box unless someone outside knows a user/password and
associated mailbox, you aren't going to be relayed off. Some websites that
test relay will give false positives as they don't understand the internals
of exchange:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q304897

This article explains the whole open relay issue as it relates to exchange
in depth:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;%5bLN%5d;836500

--
hth,
SusanV

"Brad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Susan and Mark for your help. What I'm looking for
> is this:  user@newdomain (reply address) and
> user@olddomain (to continue to receive these old emails.
>
> The thing is, I want to use the IMS to reroute, but I'm
> afraid of setting it up to function as a relay.  I've
> heard that all you have to do is use routing
> restricitions and put a check in box next to "Host and
> clients with these IP addresses" and leave the table
> empty.  The only problem is that I'm not sure if this
> will work.  We have SP3 for exchange but at the time we
> only did a selective upgrade (certain components of
> SP3).  How can I make sure that the IMS is up to the task?
>
> Thanks.

0
svanallen (210)
4/1/2004 8:02:56 PM
Hi Susan,

Thanks for the suggestion.  My worry about setting it up
like that, is that someone may be able to find out a user
name or password of someone in our organization and then
use that to relay (either they use a program to crack
usernames and passwords or know someone in the org and
get the info that way).  Would just checking the second
box and leaving it blank (basically telling exchange that
noone can use it as a relay) take care of the problem?
Just curious.  I don't want to get "blacklisted" as a
spammer.  Here is a link I found with this information:

http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Preventing_Third_Party
_Relaying_In_MS_Exchange_Server_55.html

Thanks again for all of your help!

-Brad

0
anonymous (74717)
4/1/2004 8:37:42 PM
Should be fine - so long as you select at least one criteria to allow relay,
exchange will not allow unless that condition is met.
--

> Hi Susan,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  My worry about setting it up
> like that, is that someone may be able to find out a user
> name or password of someone in our organization and then
> use that to relay (either they use a program to crack
> usernames and passwords or know someone in the org and
> get the info that way).  Would just checking the second
> box and leaving it blank (basically telling exchange that
> noone can use it as a relay) take care of the problem?
> Just curious.  I don't want to get "blacklisted" as a
> spammer.  Here is a link I found with this information:
>
> http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Preventing_Third_Party
> _Relaying_In_MS_Exchange_Server_55.html
>
> Thanks again for all of your help!
>
> -Brad

0
svanallen (210)

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Web Query #5
Hello, I am using Excel 2003. Are there web pages that do not allow you to use the web query function in Excel? I have found when trying to use the Web Query, in some cases, when I click IMPORT, I do not get any results. It either comes up blank or I get a banner/message that is not on the actual page I trying to import! Thanks ...

Default properties for new folders

New Email Messages

Exchange MTA Stacks
I run Exchange 2k on Windows Server 2k. MTA stacks crashed yesterday. I cannot get it to start. No specific error. Whe usig the exchange snap in. I get message saying LDAP Provider 80072020. Any Suggestions There must be some kind of error in the application or system log. Check those and send us the event ids: Jasper. The events I get are Event ID 9175....OPenMsgStore. The noteable error is Event ID 125 " A fatal error occured reading a value from directory. NO MTA name was found. Contact tech...." >-----Original Message----- >I run Exchange 2k on Windows Server 2k...

FRx V 7.5
Does anyone know if this is compatible with GP's 7.5. I know it was distributed with GP's V8 but can I run it without the GP's upgrade? Thanks ...

New Location/New setup

CRM and Exchange 2003
Hello all! I searched long and hard for the answer, but as you all know, good info on CRM is hard to find... Here's my issue: We are currently running Exchange 2000, and plan to install CRM. I know about Server 2003 compatability issues, so we are will be installing CRM on Server 2000, and will use SQL Server 2000 as well. However, we are just a small part of a much larger entity who is planning on moving everything to Exchange 2003 VERY soon! So, if everything else stays the same (2000) and we upgrade our Exchange Server to 2003, will CRM get hosed? or will life still be tranq...

Book1
1- I deleted any XLT files in the XLStart folder. 2- I open Excel 3- I make my default settings in the formatting toolbar so that the border, fill color etc have the default options that I want in the toolbar. 4- I then save the book as Book.xlt in the XLStart folder 5- When I get back in to Excel the Format Toolbar is back to the original settings. Maybe we cannot preset the formatting toolbar to certain settings automatically. Thanks for everyone's help. MD -- mdalby ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mdalby's Profile: http://www.excelforu...

Groupwise 6 to Exchange 2003 migration help
Does anyone have any guidance or things I need to watch out for when doing a Groupwise 6 to Exchange 2003 migration? Any help is appreciated. thanks, Jasonj I would start here http://support.microsoft.com/search/default.aspx?InCC_hdn=true&QuerySource=gASr_Query&Catalog=LCID%3D1033%26CDID%3DEN-US-KB%26PRODLISTSRC%3DON&Product=msall&Queryc=Groupwise+6+to+Exchange+2003+migration&Query=Groupwise+6+to+Exchange+2003+migration&KeywordType=ALL&maxResults=150&Titles=false&numDays=&InCC=on Jason wrote: > Does anyone have any guidance or things I need to...

How do I activate the new mail button

OWA in mixed mode 5.5 and 2003 organization
Hi I have a mixed mode organization. 2 Exchange 5.5 SP4 servers and 2 Exchange 2003 servers. I instaled a Exchange 2003 front-end server in my DMZ so my external user can connect using OWA, but it's only working for Exchange 2003 users. Exchange 5.5 users gets the error : "HTTP/1.0 503 Service Unavailable" Is there any way I can publish OWA for Exchange 5.5 users in my Exchange 2003 front-end server? Thanks Isaac No, accessing a 5.5 server through a 2003 Front-end is not supported. -- Mark Fugatt Microsoft Exchange MVP www.exchangetrainer.com www.msexchange.org &quo...

gift certificates #5
Is there a way to tender multiple gift certificates. For example, a customer has 3 $10 gift certificates to apply to a single purchase. -- Biloxi Yes, go to the next line and hit the plus (+) key on the number pad. If you have them serialized this will also prompt for the next serial number. You will have reenter the price if you have it set up for that also. -- Elizabeth M. "Biloxi" <Biloxi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA336778-CF82-4A88-9A9C-ADC754823383@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to tender multiple gift certificates. For example, a ...

cleaning up exchange from AD?
I need to delete an exchange 2003 server and i want to make sure that = ALL references to exchange or mail management are deleted from active = directory. How can i do this? Is there some AD cleaning tool out there? Do you have other Exchange servers? As long as this is not the first Exchange server in the org, simply running Exchange setup and choosing Uninstall should do the trick for you. Otherwise, you'll probably want to look at http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Remove-Exchange-server-entire-Exchange-organization.html and keep in mind that the schema has already been extended ...

Style available all sheets new or old

Exchange 5.5 ADC Removal Problem
I installed an exchange 2003 server. I migrated all the data and removed the last 5.5 server. When I run the Exchange Best Practices Analyzer it reports that the 5.5 server still has 2 connection agreements and the server is down and the adc cannot be located. The old server has been decommissioned, rebuilt, and re-deployed in another capacity. What can I do to resolve this? -- Go speed racer! Use AdsiEdit to remove the references to the Exch 5.5 server from AD. This article (the section on removing from AD) will point you in the right direction: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/83...

Adding new pages

OWA Address List won't open
We have one user here (maybe more) who cannot open the GAL when using OWA. Clicking 'New' to create and email, then selecting the 'To' button gives the follow error: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Request Url: https://mail.mydomain.com:443/owa/forms/premium/DirectoryView.aspx?ae=AddressList&t=Recipients&a=Pick User host address: xx.xx.194.13 User: A.User EX Address: /o=My Domain/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=user SMTP Address: user@mydomain.com OWA version: 8.0.685.24 Mail...

cannot uninstall Exchange 2000
Just finished a migration from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2000, and I'm not able to uninstall Exchange 2000 from the old server to demote it gracefully. I realize I can manually uninstall, but I'm trying to avoid that if possible to keep it clean. The error I'm getting is: Setup encountered an error while checking prerequisites for the component "Microsoft Exchange 2000": 0x80072030 (8240): There is no such object on the server. The bottom portion of the log is: [05:51:15] Entering CCompDomainPrep::ScGetEffectiveMode [05:51:15] Leaving CCompDomainPrep::...

New User has admin rights