New Database in Storage Group question

I think I have some corruption in an exisiting database in my Storage Group.
What I am doing is moving all mailboxes to a newly created database within
this storage group.    Is this a good thing to do?    I was figuring instead
of taking the corrupted database (I am getting some 1025 errors) down for
50+ hours while I run isinteg, I could just move the mailboxes to a new
database.   Will this work?

Since I am allowed 5 databases within a storage group, what is Microsoft
best practices when it comes to database size?

--
Eric Sabo
NT Administrator

0
sabo_e (163)

Best practice is to keep the size within your backup/restore window.  Aside
from that, with Enterprise, the theoretical maximum database size is
something on the order of 8tb.  So the answer is "it depends".  More
specifically, it depends on your disks, your backup hardware, the throughput
speed you see, etc. etc. etc.

The method you are using is completely fine.  Once you move all the
mailboxes, you can simply delete the old databases.  You might want to
perhaps rename them first just to make sure there aren't any hidden issues,
though.  I would keep in mind that if a particular mailbox within the
database is corrupted, it likely won't move.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Sabo, Eric" <sabo_e@cup.edu> wrote in message
>I think I have some corruption in an exisiting database in my Storage
>Group. What I am doing is moving all mailboxes to a newly created database
>within this storage group.    Is this a good thing to do?    I was figuring
>instead of taking the corrupted database (I am getting some 1025 errors)
>down for 50+ hours while I run isinteg, I could just move the mailboxes to
>a new database.   Will this work?
>
> Since I am allowed 5 databases within a storage group, what is Microsoft
> best practices when it comes to database size?
>
> --
> Eric Sabo
> NT Administrator

0
Ben
11/24/2004 5:05:09 PM
> though.  I would keep in mind that if a particular mailbox within the
> database is corrupted, it likely won't move.

If its a matter of a handful of corrupted messages, turn on the skip
corrupted items and generate a failure report. This will leave the corrupt
message(s) behind and take the rest with.

Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP
desmondb@payton.cps.k12.il.us

Http://www.briandesmond.com

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" <ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote
in message news:%23zLKCfk0EHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Best practice is to keep the size within your backup/restore window.
Aside
> from that, with Enterprise, the theoretical maximum database size is
> something on the order of 8tb.  So the answer is "it depends".  More
> specifically, it depends on your disks, your backup hardware, the
throughput
> speed you see, etc. etc. etc.
>
> The method you are using is completely fine.  Once you move all the
> mailboxes, you can simply delete the old databases.  You might want to
> perhaps rename them first just to make sure there aren't any hidden
issues,
> though.  I would keep in mind that if a particular mailbox within the
> database is corrupted, it likely won't move.
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>

> "Sabo, Eric" <sabo_e@cup.edu> wrote in message
> >I think I have some corruption in an exisiting database in my Storage
> >Group. What I am doing is moving all mailboxes to a newly created
database
> >within this storage group.    Is this a good thing to do?    I was
figuring
> >instead of taking the corrupted database (I am getting some 1025 errors)
> >down for 50+ hours while I run isinteg, I could just move the mailboxes
> >a new database.   Will this work?
> >
> > Since I am allowed 5 databases within a storage group, what is Microsoft
> > best practices when it comes to database size?
> >
> > --
> > Eric Sabo
> > NT Administrator

0
desmondb (156)

Must buy new computer...Ideas?

Group By
I have a view which uses group by - containing 2 aggragate functions, Sum() and Count(). What I want to do is include in my Select portion of my view , a column that I do not want to be included in the Group by. Is there a simple way to do this? Example: Select A.Field1,B.Field2,A.Field3,A.Field4,A.Field5,Sum(Field2),Count(*) From tablename A Left Outer Join Tablename2 B on B.Rec_ID = A.Rec_ID Group by A.Field1, B.Field2 A.Field3 A.Field4 (Note: In this case A.Field5 is EXCLUDED in the Group by) Your help is greatly appreciated. -Ray Field2 is in the ...

Default properties for new folders

How do I get mail which arrives in Outlook in an Access database
Hi all. In a database which I'm going to create I need to get mail which users send into a Outlook mailbox. I have read that this is easy in Access 2007 - but how do I do it in 2003? It is very fine if the Access 2003 database can import the mail automatically from the Outlook mail box - or do the mail need to go through an Outlook mail box? Can the users send it directly to the Access database? Hoping you can give me some words. Thank you very much in advance. Jo ...

New Email Messages

Deleting databases and starting again...
Hi, Just wondering whether it is possible to 'cleanse' the databases and start with a blank company, WITHOUT reinstalling the entire solution. If anyone can help, I would greatly appreciate it. Cheers Chris only if you had backed up the databases before you started adding to it etc "Chris Ericoli" <cericoli@famill.com.au> wrote in message news:e3wjxtrlDHA.2456@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Just wondering whether it is possible to 'cleanse' the databases and start > with a blank company, WITHOUT reinstalling the entire solution. > >...

Suppressing questions in Excel Macros
How does one suppress dialog that appears when executing a macro in Excel 2003. For example, a question such as "Do You Want To Save...". I have tried statements such as Application.CommandBar.... and Workbook.Command... , but they don't work. Try this. Hope this helps! If so, let me know, click "YES" below. Application.DisplayAlerts = False ' your code here Application.DisplayAlerts = True -- Cheers, Ryan "danfw" wrote: > How does one suppress dialog that appears when executing a macro in Excel > 2003. For examp...

Open Group Default ??? #2
Concerning Visio 2003 Std: Can I set as a default to open groups in their own window as it does in Visio 5 ??? I don't know of a global setting to do this. You can prevent individual sub-shape selection for individual shapes by going to Format > Behavior > Selection = Group Only. You can also set the double-click behavior to open the group edit window. -- Mark Nelson Office Graphics - Visio Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Maseo" <malhiwent@verizon.net> wrote in message news:%23...

ChartLabeler Question??
I have been using the ChartLabeler from appspro.com that by the way it is fantastic!!!!!!. in all my charts to add difference kind of labels However, I have noticed that every time I have new data to load in my chart the chartlabeler does not update automatically the new points loaded in the graph. I have more than 30 graphs in this file and I have to add the label again to each graph to get the new point with the label. Do you know if there is any way to automate this chartlabeler? I will appreciate you helping with this matter. Maperalia ...

New Location/New setup

Database-design question
I'm designing a database which tracks people's experience and preference for working abroad. People apply at least for one or more categories of jobs and sometimes they also have preferences for certain countries for those categories. I'm thinking about the following many-table for preferences: ID_preference ID_person ID_category ID_country Btw: If they change their preferences I don't need to keep the former preferences. For experience and current or future workplace I'm thinking about a table like: ID_experience ID_person ID_category ID_country Da...

How do I activate the new mail button

Style available all sheets new or old

Named Range Question
If naming a range, Excel 2003 and 2007, I usually clcik the Name box, type the name and press Enter. I then select the name from the Name box drop-down Someone just noticed that if you use GoTo to select the named range, after the first or second time in doing this, and absolute reference to a cell not within the named range is also present in the GoTo dialog box. I have never seen this before.Can some please explain why the reference to the unrelated cell. This is the "go back to cell" You are in B5 and use GoTo to move to cell named Total Now you move to H1 and call up Go...

Adding new pages

Front End Services Question
I was going through one of my books and came across advise that Exchange Management, MTA Stack, and Routing Engine should be set to disabled on then front end server. I had never heard of this. Has anyone else? Fred T2 http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/E2k3SecHardGuide/e466094f-c287-4498-aa2b-8845d107f8f3.mspx -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------- "FredT2" <Fredt2@mail.com> wrote in message news:%23OJ5hSZAGHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... >I was going through one of m...

New messages comes up in Deleted folder

New User has admin rights

Creating new row in other table
Dear All, Please teach me, how to make a new row/list in other table by entering number in other table. Sample, In the table A and in the field "Details", I put the number 2 and it automatically creates two rows in table B. Can this be done in MS Access? Thank you for your help. Regards, Maulwy Why? What business need are you attempting to solve with this approach? It's generally considered not very good database design to be creating 'empty' rows in a second table. Why do you want empty rows? And if the number you enter in TableA is a 'limit&...