need your help. 06-29-10

Hi all,

If you have two same weight(preference) MX records, will inbound emails
load-balance each other?  if one fails, will it relay mails to the second one?
If you have two smart hosts on the connector, will it automatically
load-balance each other?

thank you.

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 10:43:20 -0700, ed <ed@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>If you have two same weight(preference) MX records, will inbound emails
>load-balance each other?

That depends on the DNS and the resolver. If DNS uses "round-robin"
the answer would be "probably", but it's still up to the transmitting
client to pick an address from the set of results returned by the
query.

>if one fails, will it relay mails to the second one?

Usually, yes. But it won't "relay", it'll just send the mail to the
next hop.

>If you have two smart hosts on the connector, will it automatically
>load-balance each other?

I wouldn't depend on that. Load balancing is a lot more than just
flip-flopping between a pair of IP addresses.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich
6/29/2010 11:29:08 PM
Rich,

thank you.  sorry and I change my questions as follows:

On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 12:00:30 -0700, ed <ed@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>thank you.  sorry and I change my questions as follows:
>
>>If you have two same weight(preference) MX records, will inbound emails >randomly be accepted by  each MX record? (check the yahoo's mx records and all >have the same weight)

The answer is still "it depends".

If your DNS uses round-robin then the answer to each query will put a
different MX record in the 1st position. If the client uses the 1st MX
in the answer then you have a rough form of connection distribution
(but not really "load balancing").

You can accomplish the same thing with just one MX, though. For
example:

domain.com.      IN MX 10  mail.comain.com.
mail.domain.com. IN A      1.2.3.4
mail.domain.com. IN A      1.2.3.5

>> If you have two smart hosts on the connector, will mails randomly be sent out to each smart host?

Not randomly, but certainly to both.
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP
0
Rich

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

Need Help Linking Sheets

Macro help needed........

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Help with formula 12-17-09

Need help on this....thanks

Help with Error
I got this error recently, and just want to make sure I'm reading it right. Logon Failure on database "First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" - Windows 2000 account PARADIGM\user1; mailbox /o=Paradigm/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Recipients/cn=user2. Error: -2147221231 Does this mean the user1 tried to access the user2 mailbox and failed? Thanks in advance hello albert, well, this looks familiar to: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260782 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;309113 regards, Alex "AlbertP&quo...

need help badly

I need Help

Help, MVP!
Milly, Sue, Vince.. Can you help 'fix' this- I have still not found the cure, thank you! Outlook 2000 (Internet Only) is set to check for mail ever five minutes. However, when it does so, Outlook now insists on displaying the dialog box stating that the "Requested tasks were completed successfully." The dialog box has a "Hide this message" box which is checked, and the push pin is not 'set'. I must have messed up a setting when I reset my toolbars... (issue resolved - I accidentally pinned the toolbar to the desktop, went nuts till I figure out a doub...

help with a table
now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that same table? On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 11:39:05 -0700, Maggie <schmidt.margaret@gmail.com> wrote: >now that I set up a table through importing the data. I realized that >I had some other data being emailed to me. how do i import it in that >same table? Use File... Get External Data... Link to link to a textfile containing the information from the EMail, and run an Append query to append it into your stored table. John W. Vinso...

Need Help Despertly!

Plug in needed

Need to Hire Outlook 2003 Help

Which setting do I need to adjust
I've noticed that when using my default browser IE 8 and I click on a link that is suppose to start a download, it doesn't. When I click on the same link in firefox the download starts like it should. Can anyone tell me what setting in IE 8 is preventing the download from starting? on the page it says "Downloading: 50fpct-Just4freeplanet.com.rar | 34.7 MB" but in IE 8 it isn't downloading. It also isn't asking me if I want to allow IE 8 to download the file like it sometimes does. Thanks Shep wrote: > I've noticed that when using my d...

Need Help with Excel and Flagging Outcomes!
I’m using Excel 2007, and here is my question… I want to put a formula in cell C3 that looks at outcomes in cell B3. If the raw score outcome in cell B3 has the following values, I would like cell C3 to provide the following words: IF: THEN: B3=Blank C3=Blank B3= Greater than 0-1.9 C3=Definitely False B3=2.0-2.9 C3=Mostly False B3=3.0-3.9 C3=Don’t Know B3=4.0-4.9 C3=Mostly True B3= 5.0 or greater C3=Definitely True Thank you for your help! Hi This should do it: =IF(B3=0,"",IF(B3<2,"Definet...

Help! Event 7034 has me concerned.
Every day or so the exchange 2003 server is logging the following messages in the system event log. The services appear to be terminating, and then restarting themselves automatically. Any help would be appreciated. It has me a bit concerned. Thanks. The Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP) service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 19 time(s). The Microsoft Exchange Routing Engine service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 19 time(s). The Microsoft Exchange POP3 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 19 time(s). The Microsoft Exchange IMAP4 service term...

I really need help. Need a formula. Need it yesterday.
I'm new to Excel formulas, and I need one that is well beyond me at this stage, but probably a piece of cake for an Excel Wizard. I have a modest staffing schedule on Excel that shows several teams of employees with staffing requirements that may change every thirty minutes, as does the number of employees available in each team. I have the spreadsheet linked to another that provides the total, overall staffing requirement for each half hour, so that the total staffing requirement for each half-hour automatically loads to my staffing schedule. Likewise with the total number of emp...