Need Assistance on Exchange 2003 - Primary and Secondary Servers

I have Win2k3 on a primary and secondary domain server.  I also installed
Exchange 2k3 on both servers.  I'd like to have redundancy of mailboxes, but
when I add a user account/mailbox to the primary server, it resolves to the
secondary server and shows up there, but the box actually resides on my C
drive (both servers show up in Exchange Sys Admin under First Administrative
Group).  Now I can move the mailbox over to the primary server, but it is
gone from the secondary and I cannot find a way to replicate the mailboxes
for redundancy.  I think what is happening is that my secondary domain server
has a name that comes before the first domain server in the alphabet and thus
shows up first under the First Administrative Group, servers Section, so the
mailboxes show up there, but actually reside on my primary domain server hard
drive.  So it is not providing me any fault tolerance of mailboxes.  I
thought there would be a way to do this by adding a second exchange server on
my secondary domain server.  I know there are replication services/snap-ins,
but those seem to be between Exchange 5.5 and Win2k3, not two Win2k3 servers
with Exchange 2k3.  Any ideas or suggestions would be most helpful.  My goal
is to have my secondary domain controller have a replica of the mailboxes and
public folders, so if the primary goes down, the secondary can take over,
just as in Active Directory.  Is this possible in Exchange 2003?
0
ITAdmin (4)

The only way to accomplish true mailbox redundancy is through clustering,
which based on your architecture is probably not a real option.  Consider
performing backups to disk on the other server and setting up a script to
perform a "dial tone" restore so your users can get back up quickly, then you
can restore their old mail back from the backups.

See
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/UseE2k3RecStorGrps/cd4cae6c-c944-4699-b63f-4e53aab0ed00.mspx
for information on setting up the ability to use dail-tone messaging restores.

"ITAdmin" wrote:

> I have Win2k3 on a primary and secondary domain server.  I also installed
> Exchange 2k3 on both servers.  I'd like to have redundancy of mailboxes, but
> when I add a user account/mailbox to the primary server, it resolves to the
> secondary server and shows up there, but the box actually resides on my C
> drive (both servers show up in Exchange Sys Admin under First Administrative
> Group).  Now I can move the mailbox over to the primary server, but it is
> gone from the secondary and I cannot find a way to replicate the mailboxes
> for redundancy.  I think what is happening is that my secondary domain server
> has a name that comes before the first domain server in the alphabet and thus
> shows up first under the First Administrative Group, servers Section, so the
> mailboxes show up there, but actually reside on my primary domain server hard
> drive.  So it is not providing me any fault tolerance of mailboxes.  I
> thought there would be a way to do this by adding a second exchange server on
> my secondary domain server.  I know there are replication services/snap-ins,
> but those seem to be between Exchange 5.5 and Win2k3, not two Win2k3 servers
> with Exchange 2k3.  Any ideas or suggestions would be most helpful.  My goal
> is to have my secondary domain controller have a replica of the mailboxes and
> public folders, so if the primary goes down, the secondary can take over,
> just as in Active Directory.  Is this possible in Exchange 2003?
0
cconrow (2)
2/13/2005 5:51:01 AM
Note however that clustering provides redundancy for the application,
not the data. It is not mailbox redundancy.

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:51:01 -0800, "cconrow"
<cconrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The only way to accomplish true mailbox redundancy is through clustering,
>which based on your architecture is probably not a real option.  Consider
>performing backups to disk on the other server and setting up a script to
>perform a "dial tone" restore so your users can get back up quickly, then you
>can restore their old mail back from the backups.
>
>See
>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/UseE2k3RecStorGrps/cd4cae6c-c944-4699-b63f-4e53aab0ed00.mspx
>for information on setting up the ability to use dail-tone messaging restores.
>
>"ITAdmin" wrote:
>
>> I have Win2k3 on a primary and secondary domain server.  I also installed
>> Exchange 2k3 on both servers.  I'd like to have redundancy of mailboxes, but
>> when I add a user account/mailbox to the primary server, it resolves to the
>> secondary server and shows up there, but the box actually resides on my C
>> drive (both servers show up in Exchange Sys Admin under First Administrative
>> Group).  Now I can move the mailbox over to the primary server, but it is
>> gone from the secondary and I cannot find a way to replicate the mailboxes
>> for redundancy.  I think what is happening is that my secondary domain server
>> has a name that comes before the first domain server in the alphabet and thus
>> shows up first under the First Administrative Group, servers Section, so the
>> mailboxes show up there, but actually reside on my primary domain server hard
>> drive.  So it is not providing me any fault tolerance of mailboxes.  I
>> thought there would be a way to do this by adding a second exchange server on
>> my secondary domain server.  I know there are replication services/snap-ins,
>> but those seem to be between Exchange 5.5 and Win2k3, not two Win2k3 servers
>> with Exchange 2k3.  Any ideas or suggestions would be most helpful.  My goal
>> is to have my secondary domain controller have a replica of the mailboxes and
>> public folders, so if the primary goes down, the secondary can take over,
>> just as in Active Directory.  Is this possible in Exchange 2003?

0
adavid (8731)
2/13/2005 1:23:20 PM
Ok, I'll try that.  Thanks much!

"cconrow" wrote:

> The only way to accomplish true mailbox redundancy is through clustering,
> which based on your architecture is probably not a real option.  Consider
> performing backups to disk on the other server and setting up a script to
> perform a "dial tone" restore so your users can get back up quickly, then you
> can restore their old mail back from the backups.
>
> See
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/UseE2k3RecStorGrps/cd4cae6c-c944-4699-b63f-4e53aab0ed00.mspx
> for information on setting up the ability to use dail-tone messaging restores.
>
> "ITAdmin" wrote:
>
> > I have Win2k3 on a primary and secondary domain server.  I also installed
> > Exchange 2k3 on both servers.  I'd like to have redundancy of mailboxes, but
> > when I add a user account/mailbox to the primary server, it resolves to the
> > secondary server and shows up there, but the box actually resides on my C
> > drive (both servers show up in Exchange Sys Admin under First Administrative
> > Group).  Now I can move the mailbox over to the primary server, but it is
> > gone from the secondary and I cannot find a way to replicate the mailboxes
> > for redundancy.  I think what is happening is that my secondary domain server
> > has a name that comes before the first domain server in the alphabet and thus
> > shows up first under the First Administrative Group, servers Section, so the
> > mailboxes show up there, but actually reside on my primary domain server hard
> > drive.  So it is not providing me any fault tolerance of mailboxes.  I
> > thought there would be a way to do this by adding a second exchange server on
> > my secondary domain server.  I know there are replication services/snap-ins,
> > but those seem to be between Exchange 5.5 and Win2k3, not two Win2k3 servers
> > with Exchange 2k3.  Any ideas or suggestions would be most helpful.  My goal
> > is to have my secondary domain controller have a replica of the mailboxes and
> > public folders, so if the primary goes down, the secondary can take over,
> > just as in Active Directory.  Is this possible in Exchange 2003?
0
ITAdmin (4)
2/13/2005 5:43:11 PM
"cconrow" <cconrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>The only way to accomplish true mailbox redundancy is through clustering,

NOT!

You still have only one database. If it's broken it's broken for every
node in the cluser.

You can achieve some of this by using expensive hardware or software,
but there's always a risk. If you use synchronized writes to multiple
locations you probably can eliminate hardware write errors, but not
ones introduced by software or firmware. If you use log shipping you
still have a risk of a bad data transfer damaging the log file.

>which based on your architecture is probably not a real option.  Consider
>performing backups to disk on the other server and setting up a script to
>perform a "dial tone" restore so your users can get back up quickly, then you
>can restore their old mail back from the backups.

And there's still a risk that the backup will not be usable. :)

Maybe the "continuous backup" stuff in Exchange 12 will help, but
that's not gonna happen for a while (and it still won't eliminate the
problem of potential write errors). :(

--
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

In any case 'Dual mailbox servers' just isn't really feasible today.

"Rich Matheisen [MVP]" wrote:

> "cconrow" <cconrow@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >The only way to accomplish true mailbox redundancy is through clustering,
>
> NOT!
>
> You still have only one database. If it's broken it's broken for every
> node in the cluser.
>
> You can achieve some of this by using expensive hardware or software,
> but there's always a risk. If you use synchronized writes to multiple
> locations you probably can eliminate hardware write errors, but not
> ones introduced by software or firmware. If you use log shipping you
> still have a risk of a bad data transfer damaging the log file.
>
> >which based on your architecture is probably not a real option.  Consider
> >performing backups to disk on the other server and setting up a script to
> >perform a "dial tone" restore so your users can get back up quickly, then you
> >can restore their old mail back from the backups.
>
> And there's still a risk that the backup will not be usable. :)
>
> Maybe the "continuous backup" stuff in Exchange 12 will help, but
> that's not gonna happen for a while (and it still won't eliminate the
> problem of potential write errors). :(
>
> --
> Rich Matheisen
> MCSE+I, Exchange MVP

cconrow (2)

CRM and Member Server
I am going to implement CRM and have been doing a lot of research and I have not yet found an article where is says CRM has to be on a domain controller or member server. Can I install CRM on a Member of my Windows 2000 Server environment? Thanks in Advance Len Len, Unless you are running SBS then there are actually issues if you install on the domain controller. Matt "Len" <lcampbell@pennsys.com> wrote in message news:063f01c3bdad$79316ce0$a001280a@phx.gbl... I am going to implement CRM and have been doing a lot of research and I have not yet found an article wher...

What are .ifs files used for Exchange 2003?
I am running Exchange 2003 SP1 Enterprise with the default install. So drive m should be disabled. Though I notice .ifs files popping up in the directory where the mailbox store is. The research that I found it that Exchange uses these files as temp files and the SA removes them when they are done. But I don't know how acurate the research is that I found. Does anyone know if this is normal operation for Exchange 2003? What does Exchange 2003 use .ifs files for? I have notice that one particualar .ifs file has not been removed for over a day. Thanks... Regan IFS - Installab...

Not sure if Excel can do what i need

Excel need help

Linking CRM Contacts and Exchange Contacts
I've been looking for a few hours, and I can't find anything about linking CRM and Exchange Contacts. I want to update Exchange contacts when they are updated in CRM, and vice versa. Can anyone point me in the right direction? A book/online tutorial would be very helpful. This is only done through Sales For Outlook client See "Sales For Outlook Explained", from www.c360.com <joshm@susqtech.com> wrote in message news:1120569198.641354.108830@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > I've been looking for a few hours, and I can't find anything about > linking C...

Need Help Linking Sheets

Exchange Archiving Solutions
Can anyone reccomend an e-mail arcvhing product that intergates with Outlook? Right now I am looking at GFI's but it requires you to view all mail through a web interface. Thanks, Forest http://eval.veritas.com/mktginfo/products/Datasheets/Data_Protection/ent_vault_6_microsoft_exchange_03172005_dsht.pdf -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2007 Microsoft Certified Partner "Forest Leonard" <fleonard@rvigroup.com> wrote in message news:e$d5kl9FHHA.1912@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Can anyone reccomend an e-mail arcvhing product that intergates with >...

Address Rewrite Tool on Exchange 2003
Hi all, quick question for you, I have emails coming in from legacy email system to Exchange via SMTP. The To: recipient addresses have a subdomain in. e.g. instead of nick@company.com they are being sent as nick@dept.company.com. The side effect of this is if an email is sent From: bob@company.com To:nick@dept.company.com CC:john@hotmail.com John@hotmail.com will receive the email and cannot reply to nick because the email is set to nick@dept.company.com. If I turn on Address Rewrite, will it rewrite the TO: field of the email with nick@company.com - his primary SMTP address in AD. ...

Macro help needed........

Palm Treo 600 and Exchange 2003?
We have an entire new Exchange 2003 and Treo devices... I am currently trying to get the two to work together - Exchange 2003 and NEW Palm Treo 600. The Active sync for the Treo required a desktop sync software installation that read the Exchange 2003 server for mail - the PROBLEM is that I do not get mail when the computer that I installed the software is turned off. (1) How do I ensure that normal email still arrives to my Palm Treo device? (2) Do I need to enable POP or IMAP to get this to work? (3) How do I enable the IMAP or POP - when I go to Protocols and select ENABLE, it ...

create user mailbox rules from admin/server
If I want to make a rule in a users mailbox so that certain emails go to certain folders etc, I have usually logged in as that user and created the rule using the outlook rules wizard. Is there a way I can create rules like this from the server, or admin account, so i dont have to log in as every user each time i want to add a rule? Not that I'm aware of, and I'm sure you couldn't do it without some fancy scripting. Why not leave this up to the user, and send them basic instructions? Aaron wrote: > If I want to make a rule in a users mailbox so that certain emails go > ...

My Outlook 2003 follow up flags don't pop up as reminders?
I have used ollow up flags extensively before on previous laptops and previous server systems, but for some reason when I set a reminder on an outgoing email on my current system it doesn't pop up at the set time and go into the reminders task schedule - any ideas? For Outlook 2003 and previous, flags only work for items in the Inbox. Outlook 2007 fires reminders for flagged items in any folders. You can make it work for previous versions of Outlook by using this add-in; http://addins.howto-outlook.com/slovaktech_extendedreminders -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coautho...

Need to test a mobo

Help needed

Need help on this....thanks

DPM2007 and SMTP server
Hi people, DPM2007 on Windows 2003 SE, Exchange 2007 SP2 on Windows 2008 SE. In Dpm2007 I have this error: http://www.msexchange.org/img/upl/image0321207047625397.jpg Username, password and smtp server is correct. How to fix it? Tnx in advance. I am assuming that the user details you are entering is an admin on the DPM box ? If that is the case, can you try to set the User Access Control Settings to "Never Notify" and see if the issue gets resolved ? Thanks, Gaurav [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ...

Exchange Explorer problem
I can't get access at all to Exchange Explorer I get the below error after I say yes to the message 'This page is accessing information that is not under it's control. This poses a security risk. Do you want to continue.' 'Server not available or a unrecoverable error occurred" I can't get into exchange explorer at all, I've tried administrator accounts as the username and pass and also accounts like exmerge, I've tried going to just server/exchange and exchange/mailbox using the mailbox I'm trying to get to's username and password. I recen...

I need Help

need help badly

Excel 2003 coding issue
I have a button, when pressed it will ask the user to select the email address from sheet 2, the problem i'm having is if I hide columns A, B and C it comes up with a debug error but if the columns stay visable it works? VB highlights the following: Set EmailAddr = Application.InputBox("Select Email Addresses, Click on the Email Worksheet" & vbCrLf & _ "Hold down Contrl Key to select multiple addresses", Type:=8) Please help. ...

Autoarchive errors and exchange 2003
Beware. If you import .pst files into Exchange 2003 mailboxes a hidden modification date is created and set to the date the data is actually loaded on the server. All emails retain their actual sent/received dates but if you try to use autoarchive it looks at this hidden date and will not use the correct dates. Thus users cannot use this function properly. Does anyone have a answer please. Thks Phil OL2000: Message Modification Date Determines Archive Date ID: 197981 The following actions will change the message's modified date/time: - Moving or Copying It then gives you steps t...

Exchange Server 2003 and SP1
I have an Exchange server with SP1 loaded and I use it for LAN email as well as WEb and POP for my remote consultants. I have had terrible problems with getting POP and SMTP working to my satisfaction to the regard that my remote users have permissions to submit emails to other address or relay them. I found out through Experts Exchange site that there is a bug in SP1 that corrupts the SMTP virtual server. They gave tips for a work around that I implimented. I had to configure DNS with forward lookup since my server sits behind a firewall device. I had everything working perfectly ...