NDR ?

I get one of the following messages whenever I try to send messages to
certain recipients:

'betsy@xyz.com' on 4/12/04 9:39 AM
The recipient name is not recognized
The MTS-ID of the original message is:
c=US;a=PRIMARY;p=ELLIST;l=HERAD-040412133844Z-433
'adam@abc.com' on 3/25/2004 1:53 PM
Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure
The MTS-ID of the original message is:
c=US;a=PRIMARY;p=ELLIST;l=HERAD-040325185233Z-4797

I can send messages to this address from outside the office but not inside.
We have about 70 different address that we get this same reply from, and
when I did an nslookup the only simularity i could find was the mail server
was not the same domain as the e-mail address (i.e betsy@xyz.com returns a
MX record of registeredserver.com).
Any ideas?

Thanks,
rkeating@emilyslist.org

0
MrWhipple (3)

For some reason other mail servers do not like you. Your IP is ether
listed as spamming, does not have A and PTR records, or PTR record is
something like xxx-yyy-zzz-vvvv-dsl.isp.com. From keyboard of your
Exchange machine perform this testing
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153119
against other mail servers.

Verizon wrote:

> I get one of the following messages whenever I try to send messages to
> certain recipients:

> 'betsy@xyz.com' on 4/12/04 9:39 AM
> The recipient name is not recognized
> The MTS-ID of the original message is:
> c=US;a=PRIMARY;p=ELLIST;l=HERAD-040412133844Z-433
> 'adam@abc.com' on 3/25/2004 1:53 PM
> Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure
> The MTS-ID of the original message is:
> c=US;a=PRIMARY;p=ELLIST;l=HERAD-040325185233Z-4797
>
> I can send messages to this address from outside the office but not inside.
> We have about 70 different address that we get this same reply from, and
> when I did an nslookup the only simularity i could find was the mail server
> was not the same domain as the e-mail address (i.e betsy@xyz.com returns a
> MX record of registeredserver.com).
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> rkeating@emilyslist.org

0
kpalagin1 (1216)
4/12/2004 9:42:37 PM
Actually...

I have just gone through an issue with Verizon.  Verizon states that they
"do not provide pointer records for DSL customers."  This was from the
manager of the DSL support group and it is a policy of Verizon.  I strongly
recommend that you dump Verizon as your DSL carrier, and get one that will
actually service you as a business customer.

The reason you get this message is because the remote mail server is trying
to use Reverse DNS to verify that you are who you are.  But without a PTR
record for the reverse DNS lookup, their server cannot verify who your
server is.  This is a major flaw in the way Verizon treats their business
DSL customers.

See if there are enough complaints to start a class action lawsuit against
them.  The only problem with a Class Action lawsuit is that only the lawyers
make out like bandits and everyone else gets screwed.

Good Luck!

"Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@nomail.phxint.please.ru> wrote in message
> For some reason other mail servers do not like you. Your IP is ether
> listed as spamming, does not have A and PTR records, or PTR record is
> something like xxx-yyy-zzz-vvvv-dsl.isp.com. From keyboard of your
> Exchange machine perform this testing
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153119
> against other mail servers.
>
> Verizon wrote:
>
> > I get one of the following messages whenever I try to send messages to
> > certain recipients:
> >

> > The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
> > 'betsy@xyz.com' on 4/12/04 9:39 AM
> > The recipient name is not recognized
> > The MTS-ID of the original message is:
> > c=US;a=PRIMARY;p=ELLIST;l=HERAD-040412133844Z-433
> > The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
> > 'adam@abc.com' on 3/25/2004 1:53 PM
> > Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure
> > The MTS-ID of the original message is:
> > c=US;a=PRIMARY;p=ELLIST;l=HERAD-040325185233Z-4797
> >
> > I can send messages to this address from outside the office but not
inside.
> > We have about 70 different address that we get this same reply from, and
> > when I did an nslookup the only simularity i could find was the mail
server
> > was not the same domain as the e-mail address (i.e betsy@xyz.com returns
> > MX record of registeredserver.com).
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > rkeating@emilyslist.org

0
acent1 (3)
4/12/2004 11:42:00 PM
Thanks for the info.

Actually I'm not on Verizon DSL, I'm on a Verio T1. I have a Verizon account
and use their news server.

Here is the situation:

99% of our e-mail works fine. The 1% that doesn't work always gets one of
the messages below.

I tried the Telnet test and got different responses.

    533 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts <#5.7.1>
    Connection Failed
    Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged

Our mail is setup like this:

    We have a Barracuda networks SPAM firewall with a public address of
204.245.188.9 = mail.emilyslist.org.
    The actual mail server is running Exchange 5.5 and has an address of
204.245.188.3 = hera.emilyslist.org.
    Everything sits behind a SonicWall Pro 230 firewall.

I went to www.dnsreport.com and everything passed.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

"Allen Clark" <acent1@erols.com> wrote in message
> Actually...
>
> I have just gone through an issue with Verizon.  Verizon states that they
> "do not provide pointer records for DSL customers."  This was from the
> manager of the DSL support group and it is a policy of Verizon.  I
strongly
> recommend that you dump Verizon as your DSL carrier, and get one that will
> actually service you as a business customer.
>
> The reason you get this message is because the remote mail server is
trying
> to use Reverse DNS to verify that you are who you are.  But without a PTR
> record for the reverse DNS lookup, their server cannot verify who your
> server is.  This is a major flaw in the way Verizon treats their business
> DSL customers.
>
> See if there are enough complaints to start a class action lawsuit against
> them.  The only problem with a Class Action lawsuit is that only the
lawyers
> make out like bandits and everyone else gets screwed.
>
> Good Luck!
>

> "Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@nomail.phxint.please.ru> wrote in message
> > For some reason other mail servers do not like you. Your IP is ether
> > listed as spamming, does not have A and PTR records, or PTR record is
> > something like xxx-yyy-zzz-vvvv-dsl.isp.com. From keyboard of your
> > Exchange machine perform this testing
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153119
> > against other mail servers.
> >
> > Verizon wrote:
> >
> > > I get one of the following messages whenever I try to send messages to
> > > certain recipients:
> > >

> > > The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
> > > 'betsy@xyz.com' on 4/12/04 9:39 AM
> > > The recipient name is not recognized
> > > The MTS-ID of the original message is:
> > > c=US;a=PRIMARY;p=ELLIST;l=HERAD-040412133844Z-433
> > > The following recipient(s) could not be reached:
> > > 'adam@abc.com' on 3/25/2004 1:53 PM
> > > Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure
> > > The MTS-ID of the original message is:
> > > c=US;a=PRIMARY;p=ELLIST;l=HERAD-040325185233Z-4797
> > >
> > > I can send messages to this address from outside the office but not
> inside.
> > > We have about 70 different address that we get this same reply from,
and
> > > when I did an nslookup the only simularity i could find was the mail
> server
> > > was not the same domain as the e-mail address (i.e betsy@xyz.com
returns
> > > MX record of registeredserver.com).
> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > rkeating@emilyslist.org

0
MrWhipple (3)
4/13/2004 5:00:27 PM
Your setup looks just fine to me. Contact mail admins of those domains
and ask for what reason do they deny you.

Verizon wrote:

> Thanks for the info.
>
> Actually I'm not on Verizon DSL, I'm on a Verio T1. I have a Verizon account
> and use their news server.
>
> Here is the situation:
>
> 99% of our e-mail works fine. The 1% that doesn't work always gets one of
> the messages below.
>
> I tried the Telnet test and got different responses.
>
>     533 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts <#5.7.1>
>     Connection Failed
>     Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged
>
> Our mail is setup like this:
>
>     We have a Barracuda networks SPAM firewall with a public address of
> 204.245.188.9 = mail.emilyslist.org.
>     The actual mail server is running Exchange 5.5 and has an address of
> 204.245.188.3 = hera.emilyslist.org.
>     Everything sits behind a SonicWall Pro 230 firewall.
>
> I went to www.dnsreport.com and everything passed.
>
> Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.

<snip>
0
kpalagin1 (1216)
4/13/2004 9:22:59 PM
Do you or anyone in your group have a dialup access as their primary mail
path?  If so, you can get these type of NDR's if your dialup access is
foreign to your network.

Just a thought.

Good luck!

"Verizon" <MrWhipple@whocares.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the info.
>
> Actually I'm not on Verizon DSL, I'm on a Verio T1. I have a Verizon
account
> and use their news server.
>
> Here is the situation:
>
> 99% of our e-mail works fine. The 1% that doesn't work always gets one of
> the messages below.
>
> I tried the Telnet test and got different responses.
>
>     533 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts <#5.7.1>
>     Connection Failed
>     Relaying denied. IP name possibly forged
>
> Our mail is setup like this:
>
>     We have a Barracuda networks SPAM firewall with a public address of
> 204.245.188.9 = mail.emilyslist.org.
>     The actual mail server is running Exchange 5.5 and has an address of
> 204.245.188.3 = hera.emilyslist.org.
>     Everything sits behind a SonicWall Pro 230 firewall.
>
> I went to www.dnsreport.com and everything passed.
>
> Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
>

> "Allen Clark" <acent1@erols.com> wrote in message
> > Actually...
> >
> > I have just gone through an issue with Verizon.  Verizon states that
they
> > "do not provide pointer records for DSL customers."  This was from the
> > manager of the DSL support group and it is a policy of Verizon.  I
> strongly
> > recommend that you dump Verizon as your DSL carrier, and get one that
will
> > actually service you as a business customer.
> >
> > The reason you get this message is because the remote mail server is
> trying
> > to use Reverse DNS to verify that you are who you are.  But without a
PTR
> > record for the reverse DNS lookup, their server cannot verify who your
> > server is.  This is a major flaw in the way Verizon treats their
business
> > DSL customers.
> >
> > See if there are enough complaints to start a class action lawsuit
against
> > them.  The only problem with a Class Action lawsuit is that only the
> lawyers
> > make out like bandits and everyone else gets screwed.
> >
> > Good Luck!
> >

> > "Kirill S. Palagin" <kpalagin@nomail.phxint.please.ru> wrote in message
> > > For some reason other mail servers do not like you. Your IP is ether
> > > listed as spamming, does not have A and PTR records, or PTR record is
> > > something like xxx-yyy-zzz-vvvv-dsl.isp.com. From keyboard of your
> > > Exchange machine perform this testing
> > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;153119
> > > against other mail servers.

> > inside.
> and
> > server
> returns

0
acent11 (3)

Stopping NDR's
Is there away to stop NDR's for users that no longer exist in Exchange 2000, and also keep the "Bad Mail" folder from filling up? Thanks Brad Create an Emtpy Distribution List with no members. Add the ex-employee email address to the DL list. They will simply disappear. For the Bad Mail, you can write a simple batch file to purge or delete the folder. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Brad" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:057a01c3d3e0$48730b60$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Is there away ...

NDR ?
I get one of the following messages whenever I try to send messages to certain recipients: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'betsy@xyz.com' on 4/12/04 9:39 AM The recipient name is not recognized The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=PRIMARY;p=ELLIST;l=HERAD-040412133844Z-433 ------------------------------------------------- The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'adam@abc.com' on 3/25/2004 1:53 PM Unable to deliver the message due to a communications failure The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a=PRIMARY;p=ELLIST;l=HERAD-040325185233...

Unique user reports people are getting NDR's when sending him messages within my organization
Strange behavior. About 5 users report that sending messages to "Smith, John" (a valid user in my organization) returns an NDR. I attempted to send message to "Smith, John" and it works fine. I noticed that users who complain messages are failing are housed in the same Mailbox Store, Storage and Exchange server than John, Smith. I attempted to track message below using Messaging Tracking center but no results were returned. Please advise how can I troubleshoot this ? What this error could be ? From: System Administrator Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 7:28 AM T...

NDR
Have a remote user who connects to LAN via VPN, using XP professional and Office XP small business. Email worked fine yesterday but now user cannot send mail, gets following error message: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: RE: test Sent: 10/16/2003 11:44 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: recipients name on 10/16/2003 11:44 AM None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient. User can receive email without any problems. I cannot find this in the knowledge base so any help would be g...

Cannot open original message in NDR
Hello, When I receive a NDR I cannot open the original message in Outlook 2003. When I use Outlook Express I can open and view the original message. What do I have to do to see the original message in Outlook 2003? Kind regards: Emiel Kempen. what's NDR? nntp://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.outlook/<OcPrtbI0EHA.1392@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl> Hello, When I receive a NDR I cannot open the original message in Outlook 2003. When I use Outlook Express I can open and view the original message. What do I have to do to see the original message in Outlook 2003? ...

OOO and NDR Security Risk Solutions
Hi, I'd like to enable NDRs and external OOO messages, which have been disabled by the previous IT Manager, but I am aware of the potential security risks. Can someone please recommend security tools which help prevent some of these risks? Thanks, Matt I know that guns kill people. Can someone recommend a gun that doesn't kill people as much? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" <mlaufer@srg.com> wrote in message news:1160520993.355412.165180@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I'd like to enable N...

NDR's and Virus's
I recieved a e-mail from my T-1 provider stating "A host (my domain ip) within your IP block appears to be the source of an email containing the virus: Worm.Sober.U. The email address listed in the from field in messages sent by most viruses is generally spoofed. Please ensure that your mail server is not sending a virus notification or NDR (non delivery report) to this address as these methods can be used directly or indirectly to propagate email viruses." I have determined that it is indeed a NDR report being generated causing the issue. I also notice that when I do a ...

NDR #6
Hi I get the follwoing message Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: test Sent: 26/10/2004 08:27 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Wright, Doug . on 26/10/2004 08:27 A configuration error in the e-mail system caused the message to bounce between two servers or to be forwarded between two recipients. Contact your administrator. <server.domain.com #5.4.6> I have the ADC in place I only get this message when sending to the this exchange 5.5 site from 2003 server the connector shows no e...

E2k3 NDR's
Hi folks, This is a silly one I know, but is there a way of collecting alls messages for domain to one mailbox without sending an NDR where the name came not be found. IE user John@123.com will receive mail direct to John, but Daivd will receive all other mail to @123.com without entering all the different names. Want I want is a catch all. Thanks in advance Stephen Why dont you try the "forward all unresolved" recipients to host on the SMTP virtual server. If you use a windows 2000 SMTP service as the forwarding server, the messages can go into the DROP directory. "...

NDR
I'm getting a NDR on my E2003 server with the following error in it: #5.5.0 smtp error 552 recipient counts exceeds maximum I'm not able to find anything about the error message and I'm wondering what it means and what to do about it. Regards, Rob ...

NDR #2
how does one change permission on the system 32 directory from everyone read to everyone change ...

NDR return with attachment
I have exchange 2000 on windows 2000 with sigle domain, when our users send a mail with file attachment to external users and by mistacke they make typo mistake in email address then they will received NDR mail with same attachment. Can it be configurable in exchane 2000 that users received NDR but without attachment Nagori ...

Exchange 2000 modifies NDR's from outside
Hello, whenever a NDR generated by remote servers comes to our exchange server, exchange modifies the NDR, including attached message. As a result, we can't safely detect where the problem started and what server generated the NDR. Is there any possibility to set up exchange not to modify the NDR, and to show it exactly as it came in? (except Received: headers, which of course should be added). Thank you. -- Matus UHLAR - fantomas, uhlar@fantomas.sk ; http://www.fantomas.sk/ Warning: I wish NOT to receive e-mail advertising to this address. Varovanie: na tuto adresu chcem NEDOSTAVAT a...

NDR: 552
HI Everyone, One of my exchange 2003 users receive this error when they try sending mail to a particular domain. the error is: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: someone@somewhere on 10/07/2006 9:48 AM There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <isdex001.intra.swsahs.nsw.gov.au #5.5.0 smtp;552 imsss01.intra.swsahs.nsw.gov.au: your "received:" header counts of 21 exceeds maximum setting 20> Any ideas as to why we receive this error i am kind apretty su...

Outlook NDR 5.1.0
I have a newly migration exchange 2003 sp2 on windows 2003 r2 DC - it's a GC and has Symantec Mail Security for MS Exchange and GFI Antispam. Have another windows 2003 r2 server that is also a GC. When I send emails to a group of 16 or more users (eg. a mailing list of most of our staff of 40) AND some of the users have a inbound delivery restriction to receive mail from a specific query distribution group I get an undeliverable with a 5.1.0 - Event ID 3009, MSExchangeTransport, Cause: This is categorizer failure caused by a bad address. Solution: Either the recipient address is...

NDR Report
We get this NDR error when someone sends to a particular address: 550 Only 1 recipients accepted with null sender address Again, the emails are sent using Outlook to a listing in our GAL for the Custom Recipient. I have checked the outgoing messages and they do contain a sender address. Any ideas? Thanks. BSchmidt Have you contacted the recipient's admin folk on this? BSchmidt wrote: > We get this NDR error when someone sends to a particular address: > > 550 Only 1 recipients accepted with null sender address > > Again, the emails are sent using Out...

Stopping NDR's #2
How does one go about configuring Exchange to NOT generate NDR's for incoming mail, but still let my internal users know that our server failed to deliver an email? Example - an internal network user sends an email to a good address, but for whatever reason exchange does not deliver it within the specified time frame I set in exchange. An NDR should be generated and delivered to my user. However, if an email comes INTO my network with a bad email address for a network user, I want NO NDR to be generated, so that spammers cannot hammer my server and learn correct email addresses. ...

NDR ??????????
Hi everyone, I was wondering , if there is a way I can stop NDR to senders and still have copies of NDRs sent to a mailbox within same exchange organization ? I looked all KB but couldn't find a way to do this. I'm running Exchange 2k-SP3. Any help or direction in this regards will be greatly appreciated, Regards Sameer ...

NDR #4
I am administering an Exchange 2003 server and two users from the same company are trying trying to email me. One user can send email to me without any problems while the other one is getting an NDR, for example, your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients, 550 5.1.1 <bodo@mydomain.com>... User unknown. I was told that they are using Outlook and i assume that means they are using Exchange server. I had the user delete his contacts and just reply to an email or create a new email. He even try to send a new email for an account that he didn't have a conta...

Calendar Invite generates NDR
I deleted Mary who was a delegate of Tom configured to receive copies of meeting related mail/calendar invites. Now that the assistant Mary is completely out of the system, whenever someone sends a calendar invite to Tom, it creates an NDR that Mary is no longer in the system (specifically the error is "The e-mail account does not exist at the organization this message was sent to. Check the e-mail address, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address.") I checked the delegate configuration for Tom but Mary is not listed in the delegate section. Anyone...

We stopped getting any NDR's
Had a Exchange 5.5 Server running. Added a second server running Exchange 2K3. After doing migration, we switched over to the Exchange 2K3 Server. For a whil now we are not getting any Non-Delivery Reports. No matter if you email a bogus address, you will not get the NDR at all. Under my Global Settings > Internet Message Format > Default > Properties, we are setup to allow non-delivery reports. Any help will be greatly appriciated. Please email me, if possible. Thanks cisco Do you mean NDR to sender or NDR to local admin? Francisco Arredondo wrote: > Had a Exchange 5.5 ...

Microsoft Exchange NDR about large number of attachments question
Hi, I am getting a message: "This message has been rejected by the Exchange organization to which it was sent, because the message contains either a large number of attachments or because there are too many nested attachments. To solve this problem, reduce the number of attachments or nested attachments, and resend the message. <myserver.x.x 5.6.3>" How can I change it so that I do not get this message? I am on the receiving side. I do not know how many attachments the message had, but I know it was not a tremendous amount. It is a daily message I used to receive on 2000 s...

NDR Details
We are running Exchange 2003 on a Windows 2003 Cluster. I have recently become aware that our server is bouncing 'desirable' messages. I have confirmed through message tracking that the messages arrived, but a non-delivery report was generated. I offer no reason why the messages were not delivery. How can I troubeshoot this and obtain details on 'why' the messages were not delivered. If it says an NDR was generated does that assure at least that the 'sender' is being notified? Are there logs I can review? There is nothing the the Event Viewer, and Message Tr...

NDR- My issue or theirs?
I have a user getting the following NDR from our mail server, when attempting to reply to a specific email: "The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'External User' on 16/09/2005 3:39 PM The recipient could not be processed because it would violate the security policy in force <smtp.mydomain.com #5.7.0 smtp;550 5.7.0 Detected a signature used in spam traffic (code:C-3995). Resend in 36 hours or contact the domain's postmaster.>" I don't think we have any outbound policies in place that should be blocking this. I saw an MSKB article that talked a...

WHAT is NDR??
WHAT is NDR?? Non Delivery Report "monchhichi" <monchhichi@monchhichi.com> wrote in message news:%237xqNtkHEHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > WHAT is NDR?? > > what mean?? "monchhichi" <monchhichi@monchhichi.com> wrote in message news:%237xqNtkHEHA.2948@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > WHAT is NDR?? > > Some places call it Non Delivery Receipt as well... It is a message sent from a mailserver informing you that it could not deliver a message for any number of reasons. The NDR is often critical in troubleshooting mail problems. "monch...