NDR:"This mail server requires authentication"

I have a client running Exchange 2003 who is getting this NDR when sending to
a particular domain: "There was a SMTP communication problem with the
recipient's email server.  Please contact your system administrator.
            <mail.domain.local #5.5.0 smtp;503 This mail server requires
authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please
check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that
the domain or address is defined for this server.>" The recipient domain
contends it's not a issue with their server. Any help appreciated.

0
LBlake1 (2)

Look at your SMTP logs to see if they shed any more light. You'll have to
provide more information about the mail flow. It sounds almost as though the
email address in question is not handled by the foreign SMTP system (see
reference to non-local email address in the NDR) so I'd suggest you look
into that a little further.

Nue
"LBlake" <LBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a client running Exchange 2003 who is getting this NDR when sending
> a particular domain: "There was a SMTP communication problem with the
> recipient's email server.  Please contact your system administrator.
>            <mail.domain.local #5.5.0 smtp;503 This mail server requires
> authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address.
> Please
> check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify
> that
> the domain or address is defined for this server.>" The recipient domain
> contends it's not a issue with their server. Any help appreciated.

0
imaneophyte (3004)
3/30/2006 8:04:13 PM
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:56:04 -0800, LBlake
<LBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a client running Exchange 2003 who is getting this NDR when sending to
>a particular domain: "There was a SMTP communication problem with the
>recipient's email server.  Please contact your system administrator.
>            <mail.domain.local #5.5.0 smtp;503 This mail server requires
>authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please
>check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that
>the domain or address is defined for this server.>" The recipient domain
>contends it's not a issue with their server. Any help appreciated.

What client is he using? In mapi mode, or is he attempting to send
email off of their SMTP server?
0
adavid (8731)
3/30/2006 8:11:58 PM
Outlook 2003 connected to Exchange 2003 by mapi profile.

"Andy David - MVP" wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:56:04 -0800, LBlake
> <LBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a client running Exchange 2003 who is getting this NDR when sending to
> >a particular domain: "There was a SMTP communication problem with the
> >recipient's email server.  Please contact your system administrator.
> >            <mail.domain.local #5.5.0 smtp;503 This mail server requires
> >authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please
> >check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that
> >the domain or address is defined for this server.>" The recipient domain
> >contends it's not a issue with their server. Any help appreciated.
>

> What client is he using? In mapi mode, or is he attempting to send
> email off of their SMTP server?

0
LBlake1 (2)
3/30/2006 9:03:01 PM
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:03:01 -0800, LBlake
<LBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Outlook 2003 connected to Exchange 2003 by mapi profile.

Do the telnet thing and attempt to send a test message from your mail
server to theirs on port 25.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q153119/

>"Andy David - MVP" wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:56:04 -0800, LBlake
>> <LBlake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a client running Exchange 2003 who is getting this NDR when sending to
>> >a particular domain: "There was a SMTP communication problem with the
>> >recipient's email server.  Please contact your system administrator.
>> >            <mail.domain.local #5.5.0 smtp;503 This mail server requires
>> >authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please
>> >check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that
>> >the domain or address is defined for this server.>" The recipient domain
>> >contends it's not a issue with their server. Any help appreciated.
>>

>> What client is he using? In mapi mode, or is he attempting to send
>> email off of their SMTP server?

0
adavid (8731)

NDR:"This mail server requires authentication"
I have a client running Exchange 2003 who is getting this NDR when sending to a particular domain: "There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <mail.domain.local #5.5.0 smtp;503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server.>" The recipient domain contends it's not a issue with their server. Any help...

503 This mail server requires authentication?
Another weird NDR was brought to my attention this morning. This only happens when sending to a particular external domain. The following NDR is immediately returned when trying to send: The following recipient(s) could not be reached: user@external.com on 7/8/05 7:45 AM There was a SMTP communication problem with the recipient's email server. Please contact your system administrator. <mybridghead.domain.com #5.5.0 smtp;503 This mail server requires authentication. Please check your mail client settings.> Message tracking shows: Message Submitted to Advanced Queuing Start...