NDR flooding our mail boxes

Hi all,
Single domain one Exchange 2003 SP2 native on windows 2000 SP4.
All of a sudden our users are getting flooded with NDR from all sources.
In ESM \internet Message Formats\default properties\ advanced tab  Allow
delivery reports, Allow non-delivery reports are Unchecked.
SMPT virtual server all filters are checked.

We get 200+ non delivery from system administrator…..in every mail box.

Please let me know

0
David4882 (672)

On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:21:01 -0800, David
<David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>NDR flooding our mail boxes
>
>Hi all,
>Single domain one Exchange 2003 SP2 native on windows 2000 SP4.
>All of a sudden our users are getting flooded with NDR from all sources.
>In ESM \internet Message Formats\default properties\ advanced tab  Allow
>delivery reports, Allow non-delivery reports are Unchecked.
>SMPT virtual server all filters are checked.
>
>We get 200+ non delivery from system administrator�..in every mail box.
>
>Please let me know

Are these NDRs coming from the outside?
0
adavid (8731)
1/25/2007 11:07:52 PM
- The setting in SMTP VS is for NDRs generated by your system.
- What you're seeing is most likely a reverse NDR attack...
- If a spammer uses your smtp addresses to send spam, the recipient's system
will generate NDRs for your domain.
- If these NDRs are for non-existent users, you can implement Recipient
Filtering and drop messages for addresses that do not exist in your AD.
(Recommend implementing SMTP tarpit if you implement Recipient Filtering):

SMTP tar pit feature for Microsoft Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842851

Additionally, it is recommended to publish SenderID/SPF records in your
external DNS zone(s).

Take a look at 3rd-part utilities like GFI Mail Security or appliances like
Barracuda.
http://www.gfi.com/mes/mesfeatures.htm
--
Bharat Suneja
MVP - Exchange

> NDR flooding our mail boxes
>
> Hi all,
> Single domain one Exchange 2003 SP2 native on windows 2000 SP4.
> All of a sudden our users are getting flooded with NDR from all sources.
> In ESM \internet Message Formats\default properties\ advanced tab  Allow
> delivery reports, Allow non-delivery reports are Unchecked.
> SMPT virtual server all filters are checked.
>
> We get 200+ non delivery from system administrator...in every mail box.
>
> Please let me know

0
bharatsuneja1 (3146)
1/25/2007 11:10:52 PM
yes they are

"Andy David  {MVP}" wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 14:21:01 -0800, David
> <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >NDR flooding our mail boxes
> >
> >Hi all,
> >Single domain one Exchange 2003 SP2 native on windows 2000 SP4.
> >All of a sudden our users are getting flooded with NDR from all sources.
> >In ESM \internet Message Formats\default properties\ advanced tab  Allow
> >delivery reports, Allow non-delivery reports are Unchecked.
> >SMPT virtual server all filters are checked.
> >
> >We get 200+ non delivery from system administrator…..in every mail box.
> >
> >Please let me know
> >

> Are these NDRs coming from the outside?

0
David4882 (672)

Changing the Font of an Edit Box
Hi: I have a dialog-based vc++ 6.0 application that has an Edit Box. I want to display the text in the Edit Box in the "Courier" font so that the characters line up vertically. Following an example in a c++ book I have, I tried to change the font by adding the following code to the OnPaint() function: void CMyDlg::OnPaint() { if (IsIconic()) { ...... } else { CPaintDC dc(this); CFont MyFont; MyFont.CreateFont( 24, 0, 0, 0, 400, FALSE, FALSE, 0, ANSI_CHARSET, OUT_DEFAULT_PRECIS, CLIP_DEFAULT_PRECIS, DEFAULT_QUALITY, FIXED_PITCH | FF_MODERN, "Courier"...

Pivot table
The columns in a pivot table display arrows that, when clicked, display the values in the column, which the user can pick to filter the pivot table. But the values don't appear to be in any particular order. Is there a way to tell Excel to display them in the drop down box in a sorted order? Appreciate your feedback, Jon Select one of the cells under that heading Click the A-Z button (or Z-A) on the toolbar and the dropdown list should also be sorted. No Room in the Attic wrote: > The columns in a pivot table display arrows that, when clicked, display the > values in the co...

Changing outlook folder from IMAP to "mail and post"
I've got a small problem, I've got some users who keep there mail on our exchange server and using Outlook XP they can view there mail fine. But when they try to use OWA some folders don't show, they only get garbage. The only thing I can see incommon with the folders that won't show and the ones that do is the one that don't when I click on the properties of the folder in Outlook it shows the type as "IMAP" and the ones that do work as "Mail and Post". Is there a way to change the folder time with out manually creating a new folder, moving the mess...

Macro to delete attachment before E-mail is sent --- see inside
This macro saves the file, then opens Outlook to mail. It puts the names in the TO: field (arg1) and the file/location name in the Subject (arg2). However it still attaches the file. I don't want the file attached. I'll change the Subject (arg2) to be a text message but I want the text are to say, "Please click on this link (insert file location here)" to view my request that needs your approval. Sub Approved() ' This macro will send the file to the Facilities and Accounting On Error Resume Next ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="d:\downloads\" & Ra...

Adding control boxes
For some reason, I am getting an error message from access saying that I cannot create any more controls on this form. It says if I have deleted controls that I can save the file as another name. Is there a limit to how many control boxes I can place on a form? -- Sue McCarthy On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:05:00 -0700, Sue wrote: > For some reason, I am getting an error message from access saying that I > cannot create any more controls on this form. It says if I have deleted > controls that I can save the file as another name. Is there a limit to how > many control boxes I c...

automatic printing incomming mail
is it possible to automaticcly print incomming mail (with distinct subject)with windows mail ? i always could in outlook . chris No, not available in Windows Mail. --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) Microsoft MVP program: http://mvp.support.microsoft.com "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:109E2D07-F5DA-4E1D-8722-DD2ABA8F0855@microsoft.com... > is it possible to automaticcly print incomming mail (with distinct=20 > subject)with windows mail ? i always could in outlook . >=20 > chris ...

Sending e-mails to Lotus Notes users
If I send a message to somebody that I know uses Notes and they reply it arrives in my Inbox with my original text and not their response. ...

How can I view e-mails before the attachment downloads?
When I receive a new e-mail with an attachment, it takes forever to open that e-mail. Can anyone please advise? It's frustrating to wait 5min. for one e-mail just to open. Thank you! "fRuStRaTeD" <fRuStRaTeD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9B7FCBB8-6B2E-4813-98C5-2BFEDB5CC17A@microsoft.com... > When I receive a new e-mail with an attachment, it takes forever to open > that > e-mail. Can anyone please advise? It's frustrating to wait 5min. for one > e-mail just to open. Attachments aren't some separate entity distin...

can't send or receive mail 11-18-09
when opening Windows Live Mail on my laptop it started diectly receiving mail. a few days ago, I noticed that i couldn't send ans receive anymore. Windows Live mail is trying to connect.... constantly. After 60 seconds a little window appears with: The server SMTP did't react for 60 seconds. Do you want to wait for teh server another 60 seconds? Account: xxxxx. Server: smtp.versatel.nl this server is the one I normally use at home. When you get that prompt, click Stop or Cancel. That should produce an error message. Right-click on your error message, copy, then=20 paste ...

where is the install for default text box add-in
Maybe you mean Default Text Box v1.0.0.3 http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/add-ins Normal.pub? http://ed.mvps.org/Static.aspx?=Publisher/normal.pub -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "lpyburn" <lpyburn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:692EA943-DB76-474F-B4C4-CA0222EBA04D@microsoft.com... > ...

mail merge from marketing list
As both a provider of CRM solutions to customers and also a user, i find it absurd that i cannot mail merge from a marketing list. to do this i double my work by using advanced find to search for the list i created, which then saves in 'my view' which then you have to bring up then you can mail merge. it makes for scattered lists, and more confusion all round, especially when the sales team are asked to populate lists. simple - marketing lists need to have the functionality to mail merge from. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to t...

Help With Mail Merge From Excel 2000
Hi there, I have an Excel spreadsheet containing information I would like to be able to use in a Mail Merge. I require assistance in writing a Macro that will go to the last record and then send that information into a mail merge document in MS Word. Is this even possible? Can I use Excel and Word together like that using a macro. The spreadsheet contains Fields: FirstName LastName Login Account Password Administrator Date I would like to take the last entry in the spreadsheet and then put it into a template already setup for a merge in Word. When I try this, it will only merge ever...

What's the diff between MS Exchange Server and Internet E-mail?
I guess I know what Internet E-mail is: it logs onto your ISP's servers to send and receive, right? But what exactly is Exchange Server? -- -Dave It's a (local) mailserver mainly used in organizations which allows you to share Outlook items and lots more; http://www.microsoft.com/exchange -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Tips for cleaning up your mailbox Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net ...

Greyed-out 'send mail to contact' button in Outlook Web Access
If I open a contact in either personal contacts folder or a public folder, the 'send mail to this contact' button is greyed-out. What can I do to return this to full technicolor and working order? I'm assuming it's there to work somehow! You don't mention your version of Exchange server (and note, OWA is part of Exchange, not Outlook, so this question really belongs in an Exchange group). E2k should allow you to send a new message to a contact in your personal contacts, but not in a public folder (irritating, isn't it)? Might want to ask your Exchange admin to ta...

Text box link / Copy
If I have a textbox that then sends the text to another textbox if there is to much, is there a way to have the 1st textbox say something along the lines of 'see articles xx on page 3', and have it show up automatically? There is the option to "continue on page xxx" Right-click the text box, format text box, Text Box tab. You will not see this option unless the first text box is full and there is overflow. You can change the wording once it is visible. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Steve...

need hint on: moving CRM 1.2 app server to new hardware ("box")!
Hi all, we have CRM 1.2 and its databases on 2 different physical servers. We have to move the crm app server to a new hardware box. Does the following scenario work (just the rough points)? - remove "old" crm server from network (uninstall, whatever....) - install crm on new box, pointing to existing database (sql server remains the same) My question: Can I use a NEW NAME for the new crm box or MUST I use the SAME NAME for the new box than the old one had? This would resemble the "disaster recovery scenario" in the IG, except with installing CRM on a different app...

Mail archiving
Hello, I have a client who needs to have all incoming and outgoing messages for all users either stored in a folder on the server, forwarded to a mailbox on the server or forwarded to an email address. Client is using Exchange server 2000. MK Check out Message Journaling. http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Implementing-Exchange-2003-Message-Journaling.html "Mohammed Khawaja" <Mohammed Khawaja@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7AE64FD7-ACF7-45B4-878B-C4B7A4B8E64A@microsoft.com... > Hello, > I have a client who needs to have all incoming and outgoing...

New History Item, Mail Message sends all messages as Rich Text Format
We are using Business Contact Manager 2007 with Outlook 2007. We are not using Exchange server as a backend, just plain old pop3/smtp mail servers. Problem we are having is when we open up an account, Click on New History Item, Mail Message, and if we send an attachment with that, the person that receives the message gets it in Rich Text format. If we right click on the Email address itself and click on Send Mail. The message will be sent out fine. Right click on the message and looking at the properties of the email address has the internet format listed as "Let Outlook decide the ...

Outlook forms NDR in multiple Exchange environment
Having a problem where a custom outlook form is returning a NDR. Some observations below: 1. the form is not delivered, after some time a ndr is returned saying 'could not be delivered in time frame specified' or similar. 2. send form to self or other user on same exchange will work 3. send ordinary email to mailbox on another exchange works, but send the form to the same mailbox and it wont be delivered 4. send a BLANK copy of form to the mailbox in another Exchange and it WILL be delivered, but as soon as you put data on the form, it will not deliver 5. the form contains no co...

Cannot receive mail
I run Outlook 2000, version 9.0.02711. I can send mail but, when I click on “Send/Receive”, I get (Mail Delivery) Error number: 0x80004005. In the Knowledge Base, I have found references to and fixes for this error number as it occurs in two early versions of Outlook Express, but no references for Outlook I have one other computer in my network. It runs Outlook 2002 and it continues to work fine and is able to send and receive mail but, until recently, I was able to send and receive mail on both machines I am also getting error number 0x800ccc0e. Is one option to upgrade to 2002 or 20...

Monitoring e-mail usage
I know that this has been discussed multiple times in the past. I've read, but not really saved anything since it was not a real priority here at the Hospice I support. Now, we are looking at ways to monitor e-mail usage. Ideally, a report on external e-mail usage for the entire Exchange 5.5 database would be nice. However, we could work with a means of auditing a small number of mailboxes/userids on a periodic basis. Keeping in mind that this is a non-profit that currently is running a deficit. We can't afford additional hardware and would need to justify any significant expense (mor...

how to disable warning box warning against MS Word trying to send an email
Hi all, I use email in my office frequently. I'd like to disable the Outlook warning box that cautions a "program is trying to send an email." I use Windows XP and Word 2000. I know I saw a message when using a later version that offered to disable or otherwise alter the warning. Suggestions will be appreciated. :) Gil Carter Hi Gil, there is an Add on or call it programm which is clicking the OK automatically. Please look here http://www.contextmagic.com/express-clickyes/ -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etw...

Filter query from text box
I have a query that is filtered out by a year. I have a form that the user enters in the year. In the query, if I just put in a year of 2009. It works fine. If I replace the filter criteria to this: [Forms]![frmSalesAnalysis]![Year] I get a ODBC-Failed error. Any ideas. Thanks, Jasper Post SQL of query by opening in design view, click on VIEW - SQL View, hightlight all, copy, and paste in a post. -- Build a little, test a little. "Jasper Recto" wrote: > I have a query that is filtered out by a year. > > I have a form that the ...

office 97 box id number
Having problem with Office 97 pro...need to reinstall. Program asks for 1d on crystal box. Been 4 years since purchased, have no box. PC shows registration number. More numbers than asked for. How do I contact Microsoft to obtain number? Been thru site and only paid site accessible. Supposed to have 4 free inquiries. ...

e-mail duplications
Many copies of an e-mail I send are forwarded with a blank body. Sometimes I also receive same. Record so far is 6 copies! Help please & thank you. Bev Is this an Exchange account? If so did you accidently check the "Use Cashed Exchange Mode" check box? "Bev" wrote: > Many copies of an e-mail I send are forwarded with a blank body. Sometimes I > also receive same. Record so far is 6 copies! Help please & thank you. > > Bev ...